Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antlerhill
Nov 6, 2012

Smellrose
im the f11 and f12 keys exiled from the other f keys

e: poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

lol

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
when I was a kid I wanted one of those CD changers that arrayed 5 discs in a circle the size of a turntable. they looked so cool

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

I probably only visit like 6 websites with any regularity

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

haveblue posted:

when I was a kid I wanted one of those CD changers that arrayed 5 discs in a circle the size of a turntable. they looked so cool

we actually had one of those, it was a pioneer elite and owned

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

infernal machines posted:

yeah, the idea is that if you're doing it at costco maybe having people watch is a bit outside your price point so save your money and just invite them to your reception with a kfc family pack and a dominos party size pizza

maybe they have some kind of personal connection to costco and want to be married there. disgusting for you to look down your nose at costco people like this

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

much like buttcoin the mta doesn't actually work either

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

RIP Dark Sky the only good weather UI/UX killed by Apple in the year of Luigi 2022

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

haveblue posted:

lol I have one of those in the closet

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

My dad still has one of those turntable changers it was cool as hell when I was a kid. I got a stereo with a 5 cd changer in it too eventually but it had a single slot and some storage mechanism to swap them out that was loud and took like 15 seconds to change a disk.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
when those 400CD jukeboxes came out, my buddy Dave was trying to convince me to buy one. i was like "I'd need at least 2, and then what's the point?"

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
i wanted something like that for my blu ray collection initially, to have on-demand access to play whichever title i wanted

but

A) they only made them for DVDs (not blu rays) then stopped cuz i guess it made it too convenient for people? idk? piracy somehow?

and B) my collection grew past what a unit could hold anyway.

There was a thing called Kaleidascape that would do it for you with super expensive DRM and even that got ixnay'd by the MPAA or whoever, so i just started ripping them in makemkv and storing them on disk, which worked out WAY more convenient anyway

thanks for pushing me into exactly what you were i guess trying to prevent by killing off the legal options, movie industry?

now its all on this:

2,373 films and counting, 2,314 of which in blu ray 1080p. no transcoding or additional compression, just the movie title bit for bit off each blu ray disc into a .mkv in plex now.

it's literally better than having the blu ray jukebox i initially wanted since it skips allt he fbi bullshit and forced trailers et al. plenty of space to go, too, since my last upgrade from 8TB disks to 14TB disks.

Sniep fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jun 25, 2022

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

i suspect b is the bigger problem, people will either have 5 blu rays or 5000 and nothing in between. i'd like an optical jukebox for my library but it would be the size of a washer dryer.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Midjack posted:

i suspect b is the bigger problem, people will either have 5 blu rays or 5000 and nothing in between. i'd like an optical jukebox for my library but it would be the size of a washer dryer.

yeah exactly it became way more of a scale issue but hey, if it was even allowed! i'd have started there and prolly been happy just adding / dasiy-chaining disc vault servers for a long while. They just wont let you do that for some reason

also lol at "people will either have 5 blu rays or 5000 and nothing in between" i am literally like right smack in the middle of those figures at 2373

Sniep fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jun 25, 2022

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
yeah blu-ray appeared at about the same time that streaming began to eat the casual watching market. no one has a medium-sized collection of home video any more

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
i do! and hte reason why is BECAUSE of streaming media

it all started cuz i had a date over to watch something that was on netflix the night before and they removed it from the library and it sucked cuz we both wanted to watch whatever it was, so i started buying/collecting physical media and havent stopped since

that was like, 2009?

that synology stack above is my 4th iteration of this movie server poo poo lol

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

haveblue posted:

yeah blu-ray appeared at about the same time that streaming began to eat the casual watching market. no one has a medium-sized collection of home video any more

my family used to buy dvds and the like constantly, now i only buy a bluray if it's something i specifically want physically
:yarr: is king though

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

i should start using that ip range myself

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

NoneMoreNegative posted:

In case anyone else has a love for oversize hardback artbooks, TASCHEN have their yearly sale on at the moment and I already have a big line of open book tabs in my browser bar :o:

https://www.taschen.com/pages/en/catalogue/sale/all.htm

edit:

:hmmyes:

https://www.taschen.com/pages/en/catalogue/graphic_design/all/04690/facts.web_design_the_evolution_of_the_digital_world_1990today.htm

taschen posted:

The shipping fee is USD 75. Any exceptions are labelled accordingly.

:shepface:

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

haveblue posted:

my father in law who i live with does, probably about 200-300. he just watches netflix all day tho :shepface:

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Sniep posted:

i wanted something like that for my blu ray collection initially, to have on-demand access to play whichever title i wanted

but

A) they only made them for DVDs (not blu rays) then stopped cuz i guess it made it too convenient for people? idk? piracy somehow?

and B) my collection grew past what a unit could hold anyway.

There was a thing called Kaleidascape that would do it for you with super expensive DRM and even that got ixnay'd by the MPAA or whoever, so i just started ripping them in makemkv and storing them on disk, which worked out WAY more convenient anyway

thanks for pushing me into exactly what you were i guess trying to prevent by killing off the legal options, movie industry?

now its all on this:

2,373 films and counting, 2,314 of which in blu ray 1080p. no transcoding or additional compression, just the movie title bit for bit off each blu ray disc into a .mkv in plex now.

it's literally better than having the blu ray jukebox i initially wanted since it skips allt he fbi bullshit and forced trailers et al. plenty of space to go, too, since my last upgrade from 8TB disks to 14TB disks.

thousands of volumes, all named James

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Sniep posted:

i seriously doubt it was piracy. more like no one actually bought them, so why bother making them anymore

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Chris Knight posted:

i seriously doubt it was piracy. more like no one actually bought them, so why bother making them anymore

oh there was definitely piracy concerns, not for the regular ones,, but hte network connected concept. There were a few ideas out there how to "legally" do it that held the discs captive, but they were super stupid expensive like kaleidascape, and still weren't satisfactory.

now it's all full-chain DRM downloads to the local servers, that i can only imagine could still be revoked at any time. (Though they wouldn't, their market is the ultra wealthy, and many of these systems are installed on private jets / yachts without good internet anyway, so they pre-fill the movie cache on the shore internet)

i've been following this for a while, trust me, there's been a ton of pressure against anything that makes collecting and accessing movies easier outside of just single-disc-in-a-tray type players

e: to be clear i'm talking about the 2008-2010 era

Sniep fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jun 25, 2022

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

lol no you don't sniep, you have thousands of movies. that is not at all approaching medium sized. when op said "5k" they were picking an arbitrary large number. 30 is a medium-sized collection. 2k is hilariously huge and it's really funny that you seem to think it's not

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

it's me, I'm the guy buying physical disks in tyool 2022.

not many but a few, because my connection sucks poo poo. I've got to say, they're getting a lot better at using HDR to good effect, Dune is really good even if I don't have "Dolby vision"

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I like owning stuff on physical but I think I'm getting over it, especially since stuff is starting to go digital only. At least stuff on apple tv seems to have all the same special features you'd get on a disc

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Achmed Jones posted:

lol no you don't sniep, you have thousands of movies. that is not at all approaching medium sized. when op said "5k" they were picking an arbitrary large number. 30 is a medium-sized collection. 2k is hilariously huge and it's really funny that you seem to think it's not

it really is huge, after my disks started failing a few years ago i gave up on saving bit exact copies of poo poo and now i basically have like 20 criterion collection rips and that's all

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Achmed Jones posted:

think i misunderstood or misspoke i know my collect is large i've been working on it for coming up on 15 years lol

i was just commenting about the 5 or 5000 marker points lol

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

PLEX says I currently have 1701 movies, taking up 10.7TB of my 16TB 4bay NAS - and thats packratting a bunch of poo poo that will probably never be watched. There's a lot of stuff on there as well is old DVD or even VHS rips that never got a better release, so they only tot up a couple GB per movie max.

Most of the remaining 5TB is TV series etc.

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast
it sucks how much stuff only exists in awful quality copies of copies with lost masters/films etc

or just was recorded on tape in the first place

at least the important films are preserved in high-definition

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Sniep posted:

it sucks how much stuff only exists in awful quality copies of copies with lost masters/films etc

not the worst example you could have come up with

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Sniep posted:

think i misunderstood or misspoke i know my collect is large i've been working on it for coming up on 15 years lol

i was just commenting about the 5 or 5000 marker points lol

aw boo that's not funny then!

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
https://twitter.com/KevinHBell/status/1540790460150534144

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Sniep posted:

just curious since you mostly have apple stuff, why not use mp4? you can pull the official artwork and tags from apple tv with subler even

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Beeftweeter posted:

just curious since you mostly have apple stuff, why not use mp4? you can pull the official artwork and tags from apple tv with subler even

mkv is a better container than mp4, and it's the default that makemkv spits out.

i don't edit these titles at all, its just straight off the disc including all language/commentary audio tracks and subtitled included on the disc. MP4 containers can't do that.

e: MP4 also can't host VC-1 codec video either, i don't think? Which is like, at least 10% ? of blu rays out there roughly?

Sniep fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Jun 26, 2022

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Sniep posted:

mkv is a better container than mp4, and it's the default that makemkv spits out.

i don't edit these titles at all, its just straight off the disc including all language/commentary audio tracks and subtitled included on the disc. MP4 containers can't do that.

e: MP4 also can't host VC-1 codec video either, i don't think? Which is like, at least 10% ? of blu rays out there roughly?

lol mp4 can do all of that, though? multi-track, multi-lang mp4s with subs are extremely common. i have several thousand myself

vc-1 is also supported

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

Beeftweeter posted:

lol mp4 can do all of that, though? multi-track, multi-lang mp4s with subs are extremely common. i have several thousand myself

vc-1 is also supported

in 2010?

i guess a bunch of wikipedia editors need to update their pages cuz there's both claims that VC-1 isn't well supported and that multiple subtitles aren't supported but im sure yes that the container can do pretty much anything these days

i started ripping into mkv in like 2009-2010, and i cannot remember exactly what the weighting for it was. I picked it cuz i had to though and it's fine

i literally don't get why you would pick anything else especially for such an established collection like mine

Sniep fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jun 26, 2022

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Sniep posted:

dexters lab needs to be remastered asap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

King of Breakfast

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

dexters lab needs to be remastered asap

i have so much loving TV to rip. like a medium sized amazon box full of full serieses ive got over time and its just

such. a. pain. in. the. rear end. to. rip. tv. episodes. one. by. one.