Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
Watching season 2 of Bureau of Magical Things. It's fine as a magical YA show. I respect the show's bold decision to make every character the manic pixie dream girl. I can't help noticing that the organization dedicated to recovering dangerous magical artifacts can't seem to bother putting ID tags or warnings on any of the dangerous magical artifacts that they just leave lying around, which means that even the people who work there can't tell the difference between the regular Mr. Coffee in the breakroom and the magical Mr. Coffee in the breakroom that only brews the vengeful souls of ancient elf wizards.

Also, no loving way does anyone choose to sleep between two other people's feet for more than one night, no matter how quirky it seems. You will sleep on the floor after getting a toe in the eye.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

Buttchocks posted:

Watching season 2 of Bureau of Magical Things. It's fine as a magical YA show. I respect the show's bold decision to make every character the manic pixie dream girl. I can't help noticing that the organization dedicated to recovering dangerous magical artifacts can't seem to bother putting ID tags or warnings on any of the dangerous magical artifacts that they just leave lying around, which means that even the people who work there can't tell the difference between the regular Mr. Coffee in the breakroom and the magical Mr. Coffee in the breakroom that only brews the vengeful souls of ancient elf wizards.

Also, no loving way does anyone choose to sleep between two other people's feet for more than one night, no matter how quirky it seems. You will sleep on the floor after getting a toe in the eye.
I hadn't heard of this show but I have to say that I'm entertained by this description

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
I'm kind of curious what the target age of this show is supposed to be. I watched S1 and it was mostly very tame but there's a point where one of the magical girls is explaining to the new girl how they control their magic and it seemed like a not very thinly veiled metaphor for masturbation.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
Halfway through 'Dopesick'. Very good so far. Terrifying as well.

Chemtrailologist
Jul 8, 2007
Watching the new HBO show with Colin Firth about the murderous staircase. As of episode 4, it's good.

The family tree was much more convoluted than I initially thought.

knox
Oct 28, 2004

Watching Lovejoy for the first time, had never heard of it until recently but obviously a fan of Ian McShane. Seems that the majority of later season episodes are poo poo though. I loved season 1 though.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
Trip report from the new Netflix teen vampire show First Kill. It's framed as a supernatural coming of age Romeo and Juliet, with the star-crossed lovers a vampire and monster hunter in modern Savannah Georgia. The two girls can't stay away from each other and start a chain of events that threatens both families. As you'd probably expect it's pretty mediocre. It's got decent production value as well as sound/music and the acting wasn't terrible, but the dialog would kind of bounce from natural to heavy exposition. There were times it seemed to not take itself to seriously but it probably could have used more of those. The chemistry between the leads wasn't totally amazing but I actually thought the writing around the two of them was sometimes one of the better parts of the show. The plot and pacing aren't great but it's definitely left room for a second season.

Also, thanks to the goons who recommended Ghosts (BBC) after I'd mentioned the American show. I found this on HBOmax and it's awesome, one of our favorite shows we've seen this year. I still think the CBS version isn't bad but this is better in basically every way. The ghosts are less caricatures of themselves and the humor was usually a spot on. It's definitely interesting to see the choices in an adaptation like this, what's identical, what's a necessary swap, and what's totally different.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Finished up The Legend of Vox Machina last week. Can't wait until the next season.

Now working my way through Ash vs Evil Dead. So much gore....

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

Mister Kingdom posted:

God drat was that show fun. So good.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
ty to the posters who raved about The Leftovers cuz omg it's loving crazy good lol something about lindelof shows man

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

Mister Kingdom posted:

Season 1 is fine, Season 2 is freaking incredible, such a little fun show.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
Should I watch Evil?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah it’s real good especially once it gets off CBS

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Escobarbarian posted:

Yeah it’s real good especially once it gets off CBS

CBS is the worst. I still don't know how they turned The Stand into The Sit. :mad:

phosdex
Dec 16, 2005

I finished Station Eleven, a lot of touching moments but I'm not sure I understand the overall story. And I watched 3 episodes of the new season of Dexter and don't find it interesting at all.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

You telling me you don't remember damage?

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
After it finally finished, I started Supernatural a while back but s1 was really quite bad so once it was done I felt like the way that season ended would've been fine as an actual ending and left it there for a while. Eventually got around to starting s2 though and holy poo poo this is so much better. About halfway through and while there are relative duds still, there's nothing (yet) no par with the utter poo poo like the bugs episode or the one where the villain was a racist truck. What the hell happened?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Lotus Aura posted:

After it finally finished, I started Supernatural a while back but s1 was really quite bad so once it was done I felt like the way that season ended would've been fine as an actual ending and left it there for a while. Eventually got around to starting s2 though and holy poo poo this is so much better. About halfway through and while there are relative duds still, there's nothing (yet) no par with the utter poo poo like the bugs episode or the one where the villain was a racist truck. What the hell happened?

They elevated better voices in the cast, and brought on Ben Edlund. The period during seasons four and five, where every other story was by Jeremy Carver, Ben Edlund, Julie Seige or Sera Gamble, each telling short stories within the show's X-Files meets roadside horror tone that they settled on, was very good.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Yeah when people say the show is a 5 season arc I think it's a little wrong. Id say the arc they were going for was more season 2-5.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Four episodes into The Bear on Hulu and this show is so good.

a sexual elk
May 16, 2007

Just started Deadwood, anyone got links to the old threads?

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

a sexual elk posted:

Just started Deadwood, anyone got links to the old threads?

No, but I have been thinking of starting a re-watch thread where we go through the old episodes like Jerusalem did with Sopranos and Breaking Bad and Mad Men.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

escape artist posted:

No, but I have been thinking of starting a re-watch thread where we go through the old episodes like Jerusalem did with Sopranos and Breaking Bad and Mad Men.

...or like you did with The Wire?

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Wafflecopper posted:

...or like you did with The Wire?
I started it and did like four episodes but as far as I am concerned that is Jerusalem's baby because he did 90% of it.

But yes, like that. So we could have a simultaneous re-watch and re-discuss all the episodes. Then conclude with the film.

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est

AcidCat posted:

Watched one episode of this and I would like to say start watching The Bear, guys.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Got it on deck but tryna finish a couple other things first. Glad to hear good things, though!

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
I just finished Ash vs Evil Dead. Did not expect that ending.

Despite the low ratings, I think three seasons was enough. There's only so many ways to defeat evil.

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

Lotus Aura posted:

I loved Supernatural 1-5, but that felt like a natural end. It's a great show imo.

Oh, I really enjoyed Severance. I'm sure everyone has been through it already but I had a ton of fun. I loving hate big cliffhangers though.

Von Linus fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Jun 27, 2022

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I love all of Supernatural warts and all

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Von Linus posted:

Oh, I really enjoyed Severance. I'm sure everyone has been through it already but I had a ton of fun. I loving hate big cliffhangers though.

I also hate season ending cliffhangers but I didint felt like that with Severance

Its barely a cliffhanger to begin with. I mean, Helly R already said her piece and Mark S screamed SHE IS ALIVE, all right before the ending.

Actually I feel that even if the show was cancelled, it didint end in a frustratingly unfinished state

And anyway, watch Severance, its loving amazing

Lifroc
May 8, 2020

Elias_Maluco posted:

I also hate season ending cliffhangers but I didint felt like that with Severance

Its barely a cliffhanger to begin with. I mean, Helly R already said her piece and Mark S screamed SHE IS ALIVE, all right before the ending.

Actually I feel that even if the show was cancelled, it didint end in a frustratingly unfinished state

Yeah, the fact that he said exactly what the audience wanted to hear was refreshing and a great way to end the season. Not a cliffhanger per se, but a great hook to be hyped about the next season.

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

Elias_Maluco posted:

I typed out a lot of stuff nitpicking about what a cliffhanger is but realised it doesn't matter at all, but yes, can't wait for season 2.

I think if it was cancelled I could certainly imagine a positive ending to the plotlines for the most part. Maybe I would be better off if that's what happened.

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

AcidCat posted:

The birthday party. Holy poo poo. I thought it was going to go another way, but Oliver Platt's reaction was loving hilarious.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Only two episodes into The Bear but yeah it’s good as hell

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

The birthday party. Holy poo poo. I thought it was going to go another way, but Oliver Platt's reaction was loving hilarious.

Oh man this episode had some great moments. "so, are they dead?" LOL

Finished up the season, what a welcome surprise this show is.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Also Severance mad me realize Ben Stiller is a pretty good director

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

AcidCat posted:

That was great and then the next line is the one that killed us. "No, they're just sleeping." "Huh. I'm kind of into it." That shot of the kids sprawled out on the lawn looked like loving Jonestown, Christ that was great.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
The wife and I are several episodes into Under the Banner of Heaven (Hulu) and it's really good.

Meatgrinder
Jul 11, 2003

Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est

AcidCat posted:

Finished up the season, what a welcome surprise this show is.

Rewatch it. I did and I picked up on so many things, it's a pretty dense show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
During my COVID quarantine over the last week I finally watched The Last Kingdom (just finished season 4). To be honest kind of a letdown. I heard many say it was better than Vikings or that it was the next GoT. It is not bad, but man does it have some convenient writing. I am amazed how it sticks way too much to Dane Killer pisses off King and comes friends with Danes again, Dane Killer saves King and pisses off Danes. This happens so many times I lost count. Also it never comes close to the highs or quality of GoT or even the early seasons of Vikings. There are no highs, or really lows, it just sits right in the zone of average always.