Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014

CocoaNuts posted:

A question that will haunt us for the rest of our lives...

What Joe Rogan stuff is he referring to? Has Joro been outed as a paedo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

There's no date on the tweet but I think the Ghislane trial ended around the time of the Joe Rogan Spotify drama a few months ago.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

No it's not like that the kids are basically monopoly money or a real cool magic card.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

gleebster posted:

Ooh, she'd dead?

No, just going to be sentenced on multiple charges, but not quite as many as were originally brought..

That's to be expected. Once she got convicted and sentenced her sentence wasn't going to get any longer, just shorter.

gleebster
Dec 16, 2006

Only a howler
Pillbug

FoolyCharged posted:

That's to be expected. Once she got convicted and sentenced her sentence wasn't going to get any longer, just shorter.

Still, it's a bit of a change from the original tone of the thread, which was on the lines of "she's gonna be killed to silence her! I just know it!"

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

gleebster posted:

Still, it's a bit of a change from the original tone of the thread, which was on the lines of "she's gonna be killed to silence her! I just know it!"

She's still alive so there will be plenty of chances for someone to kill her.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost

FoolyCharged posted:

:eng101: The thing you're thinking of is called the "double jeopardy clause" of the United States Constitution. Here's an effort post from the legal question thread, discussing the trial of Derek Chauvin murdering George Floyd:

BigHead posted:

Good question!

The Double Jeopardy clause of the United States Constitution (applicable to the states via the Fourteenth Amendment) prohibits a person from twice being put into jeopardy for the same offense. There are two main categories of things that can "put someone into jeopardy." The first is what you are probably familiar with: if the government takes a case to trial and loses, the government cannot simply re-try that case. A re-trial is barred by double jeopardy.

The second and much more common application is doubling up someone's sentence for the same offense. So you hit the nail on the head, "he murdered one guy" is what the defense attorney is going to argue during the "merger" phase of sentencing. "Merger" means two or more guilty verdicts merge into one singular conviction, thus effectively erasing at least one of those counts. So since Chauvin committed manslaughter and Murder 3 and Murder 2 for murdering the same guy, his defense attorney is going to ask for the manslaughter and Murder 3 to "merge" into the Murder 2. Thus he will only be convicted of - and sentenced for - a singular count of Murder 2. Whether or not two counts merge have to do with, among other things, whether the different counts serve to address different societal interests.

There are lots of exceptions to this. Here's an example. A drunk driver is driving down the road and hits a pedestrian, thus committing both a DUI and an Assault 2nd. Those two counts would likely not merge, because the societal interests of criminalizing DUI and the societal interests of criminalizing hurting another person are different enough that the government may separately punish a person for violation each of those societal values.

In an average murder case, prosecutors (at least in Alaska) almost always charge Murder 1 / Murder 2 / Murder 2 / Manslaughter, thus charging four counts for "he murdered one guy." There are reasons to do this. Some are quite technical, like some technical defenses only apply to certain elements in certain counts but not to other counts. But mostly it's practical. A prosecutor wants to not put all of his eggs in one basket. Charging with a sole count of Murder 1 means two things: either the jury is going to convict or they are going to acquit on that one count (absent lesser-included jury instructions, but the prosecutor who trusts a judge to not gently caress those up is a bad prosecutor). Charging with all four means a prosecutor can say "hey you can believe that we've failed to prove specific intent to murder, but he for sure at least knew what he was doing was dangerous enough to kill someone." There's a lot more grey area and wiggle room for the jury. And, very importantly, there is a lot more grey area and wiggle room for an appellate court. The court of appeals can overturn the Murder 1 conviction but let the Murder 2 conviction stand, for instance. If a guilty verdict is returned on all four counts in a typical murder scenario, a prosecutor will stipulate to merge all the lesser counts into the highest surviving count.

So let's say that, like here, a jury finds guilty on all three counts. If the defense attorney is successful in arguing that the two lesser counts should merge into the highest count, those two lesser counts have their verdicts simply erased from the books. The judge only accepts the verdict and actually convicts the defendant of the highest count. Whether or not they are going to merge is a technical and very fact specific question. I would guess they are going to merge, just because I would expect that to happen when "he murdered one guy." When three guilty verdicts merge into one conviction, the defendant receives only one sentence. Thus, the scenario complies with the Double Jeopardy clause.

Now, as Mr. Nice pointed out, the question of whether two convictions (notice I used the word "convictions" not "guilty verdicts," so the convictions have survived merger) can be sentenced concurrently or consecutively is an entirely different question. That requires detailed knowledge of the applicable statutes and case law that I do not have. The merger analysis is a U.S. Constitutional issue so all criminal lawyers in the U.S. are familiar with that analysis.

Conspiracy to do a thing, and doing that thing, sure sound to me like they would probably merge for double jeopardy purposes. I haven't been privy to the level of specifics necessary to have any sort of opinion on this lady's case though. This happens all the time in lots and lots of major cases.

BigHead fucked around with this message at 03:48 on May 8, 2022

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020
The countdown's on...

Ghislaine Maxwell on suicide watch, may seek sentencing delay: lawyer

https://nypost.com/2022/06/25/ghislaine-maxwell-on-suicide-watch-may-seek-sentencing-delay-lawyer/

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Maybe she can draw the gunman while he draws on her.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
I guess all the storage lockers where she has names listed have been found and relevant documents burned.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

CocoaNuts posted:

The countdown's on...

Ghislaine Maxwell on suicide watch, may seek sentencing delay: lawyer

https://nypost.com/2022/06/25/ghislaine-maxwell-on-suicide-watch-may-seek-sentencing-delay-lawyer/

quote:

As part of her suicide watch, her regular clothes, toothpaste, soap and papers were taken away, Sternheim said.

she's wearing the smock now

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

poverty goat posted:

What is that garment going to do? Those ppl could still harm themselves.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Not likely, nobody wants to leave a silly looking corpse

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

After sentencing, etc. do they just give everything back to her and whatever happens, happens, or does she get to keep wearing the smock as a parting gift ad infinitum

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
do they even give you the little slippies they allow people to wear in psych wards, or is it straight up bare feet?

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jun 26, 2022

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

harmers gonna harm

Lurking Haro
Oct 27, 2009

phasmid posted:

They just can't be used to strangle themselves.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

phasmid posted:

she looks silly... a fitting punishment

NOTE: THIS POST IS A JOKE. THAT WOULD NOT ACTUALLY BE A FITTING PUNISHMENT

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

why on earth did they make these things white and gold

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Lurking Haro posted:

They just can't be used to strangle themselves.

Ah, okay. Makes sense now.

Cubone posted:

she looks silly... a fitting punishment

:hai:

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

phasmid posted:

it's designed to be very hard to hang yourself with using only your bare hands in a cell, and to shame and dehumanize you for making the prison assign extra manpower to you

e: this would have been quite fashionable in the stone age town of bedrock, however

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Jun 26, 2022

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

poverty goat posted:

it's designed to be very hard to hang yourself with using only your bare hands in a cell, and to shame and dehumanize you for making the prison assign extra manpower to you

Hadn't considered that. It does look like it would make going to the bathroom difficult.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon

Cubone posted:

why on earth did they make these things white and gold

White and Gold is the new black

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

poverty goat posted:

What was the direction the actors were given? Look upset that you can't kill yourself?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Actors?

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
I want one

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

poverty goat posted:

This is beta level body denial.

Ascend to full body denial

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

I love my prison snuggie

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

poverty goat posted:

Mr and Mrs Clause are going through some hard times.

CocoaNuts
Jun 12, 2020
Won't somebody think of poor Andrew? He's paid such a heavy price.

At the same time, there are hints that the 62-year-old Andrew, who now sits at No. 9 in the line, may want to resume some kind of public role after having lost his military affiliations and royal patronages amid the sex abuse lawsuit.

"Prince Andrew's disappearance from public life shows that the Royal Family is taking this seriously," said Harris.

"However, there has been some evidence that Prince Andrew is eager to retain at least some of his military commissions, for instance. So it's clearly been a struggle to ensure that he stays completely out of the public eye."

"He just doesn't get it," British PR expert Mark Borkowski said in an interview.

"He clearly thinks that he has so much more to give and … he's not recognizing that the public opinion has banished him."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/prince-andrew-prince-william-jubilee-medals-1.6500631

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Why is the royal family even allowed to continue to exist?

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

dr.acula posted:

Inertia? They really shouldn't be. The world should hate them as much as I do.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
They live in castles. Not much you can do

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Icochet posted:

They live in castles. Not much you can do

If I've learned anything from video games, there is always a dilapidated, forgotten storage room with a dusty mirror in it that one can enter in every castle

Flinger
Oct 16, 2012

Let's storm the castle, i can bring a ladder

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

I'll build the trebuchet!

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER
Those funny hat douchebag guards will blast u with an AK.

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007

dr.acula posted:

They're a tourist attraction at this point. Look at how many americans are obsessed with them, that poo poo sells.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

dr.acula posted:

back in the day there was an epidemic of beheaded kings in europe so the british king struck a deal w/ parliament to let the royal family keep their heads and keep living like royalty in exchange for the state getting to march disgusting tourists all over all their castles and gardens and show them the crown jewels. And now the british people have softened and lost their taste for beheading their leaders so they're kind of stuck with them