Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Barudak posted:

Someone has already written a book where the ultimate weapon is powered by loving and I plan to do zero research but feel content knowing that it unquestionably exists.

Have you read the fifth and sixth Dune books?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
I maintain that Leto II's death was the perfect place to end the series both thematically and in terms of quality overall.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Breetai posted:

I maintain that Leto II's death was the perfect place to end the series both thematically and in terms of quality overall.

Of course it was. Chronologically

*the dull, ominous roar of Brian Herbert in the distance*

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Marsupial Ape posted:

Yeah, I’ve always wanted to write a Star Trek homage that has a similar level of technology and social development…but also the FTL drives are powered by orgone energy. Very dumb, I think a challenge.

"She can't take no more cap'n, I'm givin' 'er all she's got!"

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Barudak posted:

Someone has already written a book where the ultimate weapon is powered by loving and I plan to do zero research but feel content knowing that it unquestionably exists.

Does anime count?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Marsupial Ape posted:

How could you introduce innate horniness into your sci-fi without being, well, all the gross poo poo we've cited?

I think horniness is always going to be some measure of gross, it's just up to whatever editor to try tamping down on the worst of it.

Or for the furthest gone stuff to just go all the way and become erotica instead.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Marsupial Ape posted:

How could you introduce innate horniness into your sci-fi without being, well, all the gross poo poo we've cited?

I mean I think Left hand of darkness did it. But the how of that is Ursula Le Guin was an exceptionally good writer.

So, um be a really good writer I guess?

(Also been a while since I read it but seem to remember it was more about an emotional relationship rather then anything that could be really described as horny.)

(Edit: Cronenberg manages it, but as he means it to be a way of showing the disgustingness of the human body, or whatever, to the audience that also probably doesn't count.)

dr_rat fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Jun 23, 2022

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Marsupial Ape posted:

Yeah, I’ve always wanted to write a Star Trek homage that has a similar level of technology and social development…but also the FTL drives are powered by orgone energy. Very dumb, I think a challenge.

You're too late. Norman Spinrad, The Void Captain's Tale.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

Madurai posted:

You're too late. Norman Spinrad, The Void Captain's Tale.

Is it worth a read? Tolerable at all? I looked at the synopsis, which had the word "electrocoma" in it, which made me think, "huh, was this written in the 60s or 70s? This may interesting just because of the vintage". Alas, I saw that it was published in 2011.

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

Marsupial Ape posted:

Is it worth a read? Tolerable at all? I looked at the synopsis, which had the word "electrocoma" in it, which made me think, "huh, was this written in the 60s or 70s? This may interesting just because of the vintage". Alas, I saw that it was published in 2011.

Must be a republishing date, the novel first appeared in 1983.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

EmptyVessel posted:

Must be a republishing date, the novel first appeared in 1983.

Ohh, that does re-contextualize it. It keeps swinging between lovely and kitschy, for me.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Is The Iron Dream on its own worth reading or just in the context of knowing it exists and someone got owned by it

MarmaladeSkies
Jun 16, 2022

RBA Starblade posted:

Is The Iron Dream on its own worth reading or just in the context of knowing it exists and someone got owned by it

I haven’t read it myself, but the very concept of “alternate-universe Hitler emigrates to America and writes fascist literature under a science fiction veil” is enough to make me want to. Like, even if it’s terrible, it has to be good for wtfery alone.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Can someone direct me to the president of science fiction? I'm ready to cash in all of my (needless to say considerable) cachet to get them to stop their writers from using the word "crèche".

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

The Moon Monster posted:

Can someone direct me to the president of science fiction? I'm ready to cash in all of my (needless to say considerable) cachet to get them to stop their writers from using the word "crèche".

The seniormost SF-nal person I know personally is Robert Silverberg, and though I'm not sure where he fits on the command hierarchy, I've been assured that he is The Sexiest Man Alive--so that might help.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

The Moon Monster posted:

Are you just a giant advocate for the word “daycare” or something?

The only time I ever encounter that word is when it’s one of the few rare times it’s relevant. Are you reading some really specific subgenre of Star Trek : Muppet Babies?

PS someone get on the phone about Star Trek : Muppet Babies. I need some little Charlie Brown fucker playing Picard now.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Colonel Corazon Santiago, 'Planet: A Survivalist's Guide' posted:

Proper care and education for our children remains a cornerstone of our entire colonization effort. Children not only shape our future;
they determine in many ways our present. Men and women work harder knowing their children are safe and close at hand.
And never forget that, with children present, parents will defend their home to the death.

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

RBA Starblade posted:

It's decent, worth reading beyond just the "Hitler wrote it" aspect.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Action Jacktion posted:

It's decent, worth reading beyond just the "Hitler wrote it" aspect.

Isn't it a specific dunk on Heinlein?

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Xiahou Dun posted:

Are you just a giant advocate for the word “daycare” or something?

The only time I ever encounter that word is when it’s one of the few rare times it’s relevant. Are you reading some really specific subgenre of Star Trek : Muppet Babies?

PS someone get on the phone about Star Trek : Muppet Babies. I need some little Charlie Brown fucker playing Picard now.

I feel like it's virtually every work of science fiction that proposes a non-dystopian post-nuclear family future. Children will all be brought up in French daycare, presumably something like Madeleine.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

The Moon Monster posted:

I feel like it's virtually every work of science fiction that proposes a non-dystopian post-nuclear family future. Children will all be brought up in French daycare, presumably something like Madeleine.

That’s how Brits say “daycare”.

It’s like disliking authors using “laser” or “robot”. That’s just the word for those things.

And daycare isn’t called that in French either.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Lawman 0 posted:

Isn't it a specific dunk on Heinlein?

More Howard than Heinlein, as I recall. But aimed in general at the hard-right and racist tendencies within SF, of which Heinlein was definitely a part.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Xiahou Dun posted:

PS someone get on the phone about Star Trek : Muppet Babies.

?

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

I meant more like a little Geordie and Data standing next to that enormous pair of woman’s legs and disembodied voice, but yeah I’ll take that too.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

I thought about that quote from Alpha Centuari too.

It reminds me when Revenge of the Sith and everyone was going "lol Younglings? what a dumb name" ignoring that its a totally acceptable generic for anything that is young, as some living things don't have children.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Who was saying "Younglings" was dumb?
Of all the critiques of those movies that's one I've never once heard before

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Me, I always thought it was dumb :colbert:

I mean it kind of worked because this is some far future past society of weird sexless monks but still

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Xiahou Dun posted:

That’s how Brits say “daycare”.

It’s like disliking authors using “laser” or “robot”. That’s just the word for those things.

And daycare isn’t called that in French either.

Ok then direct me to the president of the British as well. The French should stay the course.

El Spamo
Aug 21, 2003

Fuss and misery
It's far from the worst aspect of the movie, but "youngling" is kinda... florid?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

I mean that does go with everything about the prequel Jedi. They are an ancient order of warrior wizard monks who take everything very seriously. They are baroque and formal.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Youngling is stupid because it's a sci-fi word for a concept we already have - "children". It's as dumb as fake swear words, without the excuse of getting around censorship.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
“Youngling” is also a word we already have, attested about 800 years before sci-fi

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Youngling is stupid because it's a sci-fi word for a concept we already have - "children". It's as dumb as fake swear words, without the excuse of getting around censorship.

drat, not the horrible curse of synonyms.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Lightsaber instead of Lucentblade, loving GEORGE!!!

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Xiahou Dun posted:

drat, not the horrible curse of synonyms.

I think you mean Zazoonibops

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Zoran posted:

“Youngling” is also a word we already have, attested about 800 years before sci-fi

If we're going for old words for child, "girl" used to mean child.

Gay girl was a girl and knave girl was a boy.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

It's a random detail thrown in to make the setting seem less familiar--like how nobody wore glasses (until recently)

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Barudak posted:

Beam katanas

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Barudak posted:

There's all that behind the scenes footage of Lucas during the filming of the prequels where he keeps calling them "laser swords."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQ3lh97fDVY