Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

i got rejected recently too by a company/position i was hyped about

the hiring manager liked me (i think), the first potential coworker who interviewed me straight up told me he’d be giving me the thumbs up at the end of our call, but the second dude was kind of a prick, he just asked vague questions testing how i would handle different scenarios, rather than anything concrete, and also got up to get a coffee in the middle of the interview and his mic was hosed up

he presumably gave me a thumbs down and they rejected me before the third already scheduled interview. recruiter came back with “i want to stress that there was a lot of positive feedback. everyone really liked you and thinks you’d be a great fit for the company, but don’t think you’re ready for the role. they suggest you should instead try applying for a slightly more junior position and then work up to this role after a few years. by the way, there’s currently no open positions for this more junior role in your country”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Asymmetric POSTer posted:

the hiring manager liked me (i think), the first potential coworker who interviewed me straight up told me he’d be giving me the thumbs up at the end of our call, but the second dude was kind of a prick, he just asked vague questions testing how i would handle different scenarios, rather than anything concrete, and also got up to get a coffee in the middle of the interview and his mic was hosed up

he presumably gave me a thumbs down and they rejected me before the third already scheduled interview. recruiter came back with “i want to stress that there was a lot of positive feedback. everyone really liked you and thinks you’d be a great fit for the company, but don’t think you’re ready for the role. they suggest you should instead try applying for a slightly more junior position and then work up to this role after a few years. by the way, there’s currently no open positions for this more junior role in your country”

It's super useful knowing which interview you got rejected for if there are a bunch (even if the reasons given are kind of weird). Mine was also a rejection for the scenario/design stage (apparently for not committing enough to specific technology choices in a hypothetical scenario, I think really I just didn't have anything interesting to say, which I need to focus more on in the future)

Just got to remember that it's a numbers game, and that both words in that phrase matter!

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Asymmetric POSTer posted:

had the 'dickhead interviewer rejects me after a blatantly hostile interview when everything is going well' happen to me as well, the best part was that he explicitly went against the company interview guidance and when I pointed it out he denied it and continued doing it

numbers game & all that. I think I ended up being paid more anyway

e: since everyone else was so nice I at the time thought it was just supposed to be a test of how I deal with conflict so I was really polite, but no, it turns out he was just being a dick

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Jun 29, 2022

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

if you’re hot dealing and your job doesn’t have “regional” or a piece of geography in its title then get out of there

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
my job switched to hotdesks and i haven't been in the building since, and i honestly don't understand why anyone else would go in unless they're literally homeless or have 8 roommates or something

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Private Speech posted:

and when I pointed it out he denied it and continued doing it

bold

not that you did anything wrong, i mean in that situation it sounds like jerkbutt had already made up their mind. but still, it's bold and it makes me lol

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
got a big one tomorrow and pretty nervous. been watching neetcode to prep after doing some a handful of Fun Ones to warm my fingers up.

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Lady Radia posted:

got a big one tomorrow and pretty nervous. been watching neetcode to prep after doing some a handful of Fun Ones to warm my fingers up.

what are “Fun Ones”?

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
what is the purpose anymore of asking whether someone has done agile?? esp if they have a background in well-known software companies. seems like asking "have you ever breathed air"

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Gazpacho posted:

what is the purpose anymore of asking whether someone has done agile?? esp if they have a background in well-known software companies. seems like asking "have you ever breathed air"

there's bound to be a load of people who have only ever worked waterfall projects who after their company has been acquired emerge from their beige dungeons and face the guns

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Gazpacho posted:

someone with a life of enterprise would probably say the same thing about ITIL, but there are people like me who managed to dodge it for the first two decade of their career

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
You could ask my predecessor which IDE they've used the most professionally and they would have had to answer "none".

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?
there are absolutely enterprises where there has been little to no agile exposure.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Gazpacho posted:

well, if they say “no” that means something and if the answer is yes you can ask follow up questions.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

nudgenudgetilt posted:

someone with a life of enterprise would probably say the same thing about ITIL, but there are people like me who managed to dodge it for the first two decade of their career

I had to Google that, I suppose it's a fair point. Must be a different world over there.

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
lots of shops do some other form of iterative development like RUP too

(i actually like RUP but it's tied to methodologies and tools that are somewhere between absolute dogshit and pure evil so vOv)

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

distortion park posted:

I had to Google that, I suppose it's a fair point. Must be a different world over there.

coming from startupland and way less formal gov gigs, it has (to put it mildly) rocked my world.

in past lives i reported to the cto and had control of the services i run from hardware or cloud platform to load balancers and cdn.

now i have at least three bosses (i think there might be a fourth?), and have control over the configs of three daemons.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
the prevalence of bad practices in enterprise development is something of a legend though, and i feel the pain of anyone who comes from an enterprise project (or any project) where bad practices were entrenched and then sits across from an interviewer who doesn't understand that a candidate is not their previous employer

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Gazpacho posted:

the prevalence of bad practices in enterprise development is something of a legend though, and i feel the pain of anyone who comes from an enterprise project (or any project) where bad practices were entrenched and then sits across from an interviewer who doesn't understand that a candidate is not their previous employer

yeah, i'm not really convinced ITSM is a "bad practice" though. i can definitely see where enterprises could implement it poorly, and i can see it being painful getting used to, but i also see a lot of benefits to it

at startups i could yolo and deploy configs after only one other person had signed off on them. that was fine because i was delivering a product that could go down briefly without the world ending

now i'm operating critical services for a few universities, a few hospitals, and every k-12 school in the state, so it makes sense to have roadbumps like change advisory boards and separated roles like service owner / service manager

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

edit: sigh. quote is not edit.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
i'm not saying that ITSM or ITIL are bad practices, i'm saying that enterprise dev has a reputation for neglecting architecture until it is too late to do anything about it

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I find that devs neglecting architecture is in no way limited to enterprise

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
besides which, everyone who does agile development must have done it somewhere for the first time

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

i have never worked in an agile shop where it felt like things were working well. its always been either flailing around giving lip service to some method or routine while simultaneously being unhappy with how we do things, or full on adapting all the rituals with 0 introspection on whether it actually helps in this particular project or is it just a thing we do while also trying to get work done

our current process is basically very loosely reglemented and not structured at all, but it works for us, and honestly i am afraid that i will not function well in agile at all, and i think this may be a red flag for some interviewers

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

KidDynamite posted:

what are “Fun Ones”?

dynamic or sliding window problems that seem interesting to me, cause it's where i feel like im weakest

ok interview in 45 minutes wish me luck yospos. i hate this process lol

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

Lady Radia posted:

dynamic or sliding window problems that seem interesting to me, cause it's where i feel like im weakest

good luck goonspeed

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

probably the most effective agile i have ever encountered is my current team, where it is basically just having a retro once every 2 weeks. bosses have tried to get me to impose estimates a couple of times but lol to that

KidDynamite
Feb 11, 2005

Lady Radia posted:

good luck, goon!

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Agile and scrum basically mean whatever management wants them to mean.

I try to ask interviewers questions like "what happens when a project clearly isn't going to hit a deadline/ETA?" and "how are decisions made about how work is prioritized?" because I don't really give a poo poo about what terminology a team uses to describe their process as long as deadlines don't materialize out of the management ether and get dropped on devs, and that the dev team has significant input on what work is prioritized.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

ThePeavstenator posted:

Agile and scrum basically mean whatever management wants them to mean.

I try to ask interviewers questions like "what happens when a project clearly isn't going to hit a deadline/ETA?" and "how are decisions made about how work is prioritized?" because I don't really give a poo poo about what terminology a team uses to describe their process as long as deadlines don't materialize out of the management ether and get dropped on devs, and that the dev team has significant input on what work is prioritized.

Me: "What happens when this project clearly isn't going to hit a deadline?"

Manager: It's not gonna be late

ad nauseam

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

champagne posting posted:

Me: "What happens when this project clearly isn't going to hit a deadline?"

Manager: It's not gonna be late

ad nauseam

"Cut scope until you can hit the commitment" lol

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

my current shop is an “”agile”” tech incubation org within a huger waterfall org

i am soaked in contradictions and agile rituals which are immediately steam rolled by The Waterfall

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

distortion park posted:

"Cut scope until you can hit the commitment" lol

I mean there's only really three answers, right? Cut scope, move the date, demand burnout level hours. Depends on the project, and that last one had better be followed with "and the team then gets an extra week off " or whatever

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
"do none of the above until the ship date, then push out what you have regardless of whether or not it's even working"

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Okay four answers but one of them is wrong :v:

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

you can also have the galaxy brain answer of “we dont set deadlines” which honestly is either really good or really bad, sort of like unlimited pto i guess

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

4lokos basilisk posted:

our current process is basically very loosely reglemented and not structured at all, but it works for us, and honestly i am afraid that i will not function well in agile at all, and i think this may be a red flag for some interviewers

that is definitely agile in the “everything is agile if you want it to be” sense and probably agile in the original manifesto sense

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

raminasi posted:

that is definitely agile in the “everything is agile if you want it to be” sense and probably agile in the original manifesto sense

well i am happy not to have the scrum ritual meetings, so yeah works for me

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
Anyone who takes project management methodologies or agile vs waterfall vs no system seriously are wrong thinking zealots. It doesn’t matter what you use, it will be as dumb as the humans using it. There is 0 advantage to having done agile somewhere before, other than the fact that you can be pretty sure whatever flavor your next company is using is going to be a stupid disaster that would be indistinguishable from just not naming whatever you’re doing so people can’t complain about how none of it is ‘really agile’

i am a moron fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Jul 1, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

i am a moron posted:

Anyone who takes project management methodologies or agile vs waterfall vs no system seriously are wrong thinking zealots. It doesn’t matter what you use, it will be as dumb as the humans using it. There is 0 advantage to having done agile somewhere before, other than the fact that you can be pretty sure whatever flavor your next company is using is going to be a stupid disaster that would be indistinguishable from just not naming whatever you’re doing so people can’t complain about how none of it is ‘really agile’

this post is the least agile thing ever. really full of scrum

also to say in the context of interviewing thread that having more relevant versus less relevant program management experience and views is probably not the best for interviewing peeps