Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

that’s always the risk of being lazy and not quoting on mobile lol

i'll put my vhf in your uhf if you're dtf :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

DELETE CASCADE posted:

i'll put my vhf in your uhf if you're dtf :getin:

Ah, a 13cm band operator i see

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
i only know enough to pretend. my dad was big into dx, one time he told me if the house was burning down i was to prioritize the binders of qsl cards in his closet, he dgaf about anything else

he's not so active anymore these days i don't think. ran out of countries

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Yeah the pokemon collectors kinda do their thing and then just wait forever, forlornly looking at the forever-empty space for North Korea in the binder

i occasionally do an afternoon of slow-scan now and then but i'm largely out of the game. Just got overwhelmingly chuddy

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i don't think he actually talked politics to these people, just cq dx 5 by 9 qso etc etc

then again dad's a total trump chud so what do i know

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i'm sure i would have gotten into ham radio, with his encouragement, if not for computers and irc

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

someone needs to get Kim jong un really into ham radio so everyone can complete their sets

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

FlapYoJacks posted:

I helped port asterisk to Buildroot, an embedded Linux SDK. :suicide:

Oh hey, maybe I'll make that my next project. I got an idea for something I wanted to do with asterisk, raspberry pi, and a couple of old grandstream VoIP phones

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

i thought the pandemic would give me time to finally read my arrl training book and pass the ham radio test but it turns out that computer touching work only increases when everyone works from home

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

sb hermit posted:

Oh hey, maybe I'll make that my next project. I got an idea for something I wanted to do with asterisk, raspberry pi, and a couple of old grandstream VoIP phones

It also has pjsip! It’s fairly easy to compile and get going!

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

FlapYoJacks posted:

It also has pjsip! It’s fairly easy to compile and get going!

I need to use a dial plan.

I might look at pjsip if I need to but ... for right now ... the devil you know and all that

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Jonny 290 posted:

i mean fax seems fine, if a little goofy and archaic

but yeah docusign could replace it in 72 hours

this is how I ended up arguing about docusign account billing structures with various legal departments for 6 solid months :mad:

e: I was at some event and a guy said "oh I used to work at docusign, I set up the org/account structure" and I was like "and you're proud of this? buddy, there are a lot of people in this room whose lives you've made miserable"

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

I was like "and you're proud of this? buddy, there are a lot of people in this room whose lives you've made miserable"

it's always nice to know your work has made an impact on other people :)

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

redleader posted:

it's always nice to know your work has made an impact on other people :)

aha so it was you who installed the doorframe to my bathroom!? i will find you

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Hed posted:

I know I’m gettin old because the freakin ceo of the company I was talking to last week was saying they had in their telco guy and he didn’t know what a PBX stood for / was or POTS line (for the fax and fire alarm). He was just shaking his head when he was taking me through the telco closet

Plain ol telephone service line is one of the dumbest old timey acronyms I've ever encountered in my lifetime of old timey acronyms.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

sb hermit posted:

i thought the pandemic would give me time to finally read my arrl training book and pass the ham radio test but it turns out that computer touching work only increases when everyone works from home

it was a real brainfuck seeing my income increase 50% yoy for two years while most of the people i know were being laid off and having to use government support.

the fact that this, like most things i do, was pure luck is not lost on me.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

horse_ebookmarklet posted:

I am doing a free time project to do a PA system w/ SIP. Would like to use soft phones/sip phones/and my 2m handheld to page.
Dived down the rabbit hole of seeing if I could get app_rpt.c complied for freepbx (instead of weird allstar image), but HOLY poo poo.

Two quotes:

Probably going to have to setup an allstar pi, then trunk it to the "main" freepbx install. Which leads into the next thing:
DIAL PLAN? Lisa needs braces.

so are you planning on having the sip devices auto-answer or are you planning on keeping them connected full time?

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

infernal machines posted:

ayaya voip systems

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

DELETE CASCADE posted:

the cool thing about being a network toucher is that you'll have a job forever. the bad thing is that your job, forever, will be to touch networking

Networking is cool though. You just have to make sure that your networking experience doesn't involve anything with PSTN, VOIP, etc. cause that poo poo sucks.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

sb hermit posted:

read this: https://www.kb6nu.com/study-guides/. it is free and will take like an hour.

then do hamstudy.org practice tests a couple times. when you're regularly passing those, take the test. all the studying will probably take less than two hours. the technician exam is trivial, the general is easy, and i haven't taken extra because it was requiring Actual Studying and I stopped halfway through because I'm quite lazy.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i really wish "ham study dot org" was a website where you just stared at a ham slowly roasting in the oven

mystes
May 31, 2006

Shame Boy posted:

i really wish "ham study dot org" was a website where you just stared at a ham slowly roasting in the oven
Pondering my pork

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Achmed Jones posted:

read this: https://www.kb6nu.com/study-guides/. it is free and will take like an hour.

then do hamstudy.org practice tests a couple times. when you're regularly passing those, take the test. all the studying will probably take less than two hours. the technician exam is trivial, the general is easy, and i haven't taken extra because it was requiring Actual Studying and I stopped halfway through because I'm quite lazy.

sounds neat! I'll take a look.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Apparently Fidelity authenticates people over the phone by asking them to read back one time codes sent via sms

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

mystes posted:

Apparently Fidelity authenticates people over the phone by asking them to read back one time codes sent via sms

presumably it's to a number on file, and not whoever called in

....right?

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

KirbyKhan posted:

Plain ol telephone service line is one of the dumbest old timey acronyms I've ever encountered in my lifetime of old timey acronyms.

there’s dozens of ways it could be otherwise … or could have been . coin , ground start, dry , conditioned , emulated , balanced for a gamewell loop, etc

POTS just means like you don’t have to gently caress around to use it probably

Doom Mathematic
Sep 2, 2008

mystes posted:

Everybody knows that if you're being asked to read a one-time code over the phone you're being scammed, though? :confused:

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

reading back an sms code is probably a weak nod to out of band authentication but probably the most friendly path for the geriatric crowd

banks and credit unions, ironically, seem to be the ones holding onto sms authentication for dear life while everyone else uses phone based totp or fido2

wouldn't banks be the first to promote fido2? It's the most secure 2fa method. Although good luck getting old people to figure out how it works

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i would laugh so hard and so long at anybody that asked me to read back a otp

mystes
May 31, 2006

sb hermit posted:

reading back an sms code is probably a weak nod to out of band authentication but probably the most friendly path for the geriatric crowd
I can understand why it seems like a convenient way to authenticate people from their perspective but anyone with any sense is going to be like "you want me to do what? are you joking?" and it's going to train boomers who don't know better to think "oh, okay, it's perfectly reasonable to expect financial institutions to want me to read otp codes to them over the phone" which is ABSOLUTELY INSANE.

Whenever you use otp codes you should always be saying "we will NEVER ask for them over the phone and if someone does it's ALWAYS a scam" and you can't say that if you are literally asking for them over the phone.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

mystes posted:

I can understand why it seems like a convenient way to authenticate people from their perspective but anyone with any sense is going to be like "you want me to do what? are you joking?" and it's going to train boomers who don't know better to think "oh, okay, it's perfectly reasonable to expect financial institutions to want me to read otp codes to them over the phone" which is ABSOLUTELY INSANE.

Whenever you use otp codes you should always be saying "we will NEVER ask for them over the phone and if someone does it's ALWAYS a scam" and you can't say that if you are literally asking for them over the phone.

honestly, it depends.

as tech asshats we assume the end user is always going to be interfacing with us via computery interfaces, but that simply isn't true.

what's the "right" way for a bank to authenticate an inbound call? a single use code isn't a terrible way to go. we can all agree sms is a terrible delivery mechanism. a voice call to the user isn't much better, especially since in this case we're trying to solve authentication for a user who is already on a voice call. oath, be it totp or hotp looks like a solid solution for this space except...

it violates the "we will never ask for your otp code" rule that's so popular. i feel like it's a disservice to deny a solid form of authentication to voice call users, and really wish everyone pushed "only give us a code over the phone if *you called us*" as a rule

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

nudgenudgetilt posted:

honestly, it depends.

as tech asshats we assume the end user is always going to be interfacing with us via computery interfaces, but that simply isn't true.

what's the "right" way for a bank to authenticate an inbound call? a single use code isn't a terrible way to go. we can all agree sms is a terrible delivery mechanism. a voice call to the user isn't much better, especially since in this case we're trying to solve authentication for a user who is already on a voice call. oath, be it totp or hotp looks like a solid solution for this space except...

it violates the "we will never ask for your otp code" rule that's so popular. i feel like it's a disservice to deny a solid form of authentication to voice call users, and really wish everyone pushed "only give us a code over the phone if *you called us*" as a rule

"if you called us" requires users to remember a conditional, which causes the whole system to fail. If they know that there is a single condition where disclosing the OTP is valid, then there is a good chance that a savvy phisher will just tell them that policies change and they should check their e-mail from april last year when it was announced. And no one is going to go through that hassle if they're just opening a new line of credit in exchange for a free toaster or whatever banks give away now. Applebees gift card? A free cruise trip to Mexico?

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

sb hermit posted:

"if you called us" requires users to remember a conditional, which causes the whole system to fail. If they know that there is a single condition where disclosing the OTP is valid, then there is a good chance that a savvy phisher will just tell them that policies change and they should check their e-mail from april last year when it was announced. And no one is going to go through that hassle if they're just opening a new line of credit in exchange for a free toaster or whatever banks give away now. Applebees gift card? A free cruise trip to Mexico?

right, so while protecting one medium you're actively sacrificing another.

the required training should be "never trust inbound calls", not "protect this one type of credential geeks hold dear from a medium they despise"

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

going further, I think everyone can agree the computery interface should be protected by an unphishable auth (webauthn, etc) mechanism anyway. to me, an ideal world would be one where totp is only used over the phone.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
The system sending the SMS knows that this one is going to be used to authenticate someone over the phone. (Or at least, it could know that it's being asked to send an SMS because someone in a call center pushed the "validate caller" button, rather than because a web server got a login request from the public internet). Instead of sending a number, it could send a pronounceable code phrase, that way you're not teaching people to recite web login OTP numbers to people on the phone.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

nudgenudgetilt posted:

right, so while protecting one medium you're actively sacrificing another.

the required training should be "never trust inbound calls", not "protect this one type of credential geeks hold dear from a medium they despise"

Frankly, I think there should be context to all the OTPs and have users read them off every single time they want to do something that could be expensive.

The SMS should say "You are transferring $5000 to Kirk to purchase a ticket to the Razr afterparty. To confirm, repeat the following code to the service agent: 80085"

And just do it for every single thing they want to do that would reasonably require it. And if it takes too long then they need to either get a personal banker or walk into the branch office.

That way, a man-in-the-middle has a much harder time tricking them into doing something unintended.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

sb hermit posted:

Frankly, I think there should be context to all the OTPs and have users read them off every single time they want to do something that could be expensive.

The SMS should say "You are transferring $5000 to Kirk to purchase a ticket to the Razr afterparty. To confirm, repeat the following code to the service agent: 80085"

And just do it for every single thing they want to do that would reasonably require it. And if it takes too long then they need to either get a personal banker or walk into the branch office.

That way, a man-in-the-middle has a much harder time tricking them into doing something unintended.

this is effectively the way steam's mfa operates if you use the marketplace. for the longest time i despised not being able to use straight totp instead of their app, but it made sense when i started selling things and the mfa mechanism indicated what action was being taken

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Jabor posted:

The system sending the SMS knows that this one is going to be used to authenticate someone over the phone. (Or at least, it could know that it's being asked to send an SMS because someone in a call center pushed the "validate caller" button, rather than because a web server got a login request from the public internet). Instead of sending a number, it could send a pronounceable code phrase, that way you're not teaching people to recite web login OTP numbers to people on the phone.

"my rear end is my password"

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

sb hermit posted:

"my rear end is my password"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3hands
Feb 23, 2018

red team go! red team go!