Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
The Return is on Showtime, the thing no one has a subscription for lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
hugs her Blu-rays of The Return tightly

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

:hmmyes:

I'm sure they'll degrade eventually, but knowing that I can just throw on The Return whenever I like and watch in the best quality available is a wonderful thing.

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

Bird in a Blender posted:

Does anyone know where these are streaming? I think FWWM is on HBO, but that’s all I know of.

Fire Walk With Me and Eraserhead are both permanent fixtures on criterion channel, and Blue Velvet is on there currently with some cool featurettes. Criterion also has many of Lynch's shorts, including Dumbland, which is very enjoyable. EH is also on HBO Max right now.

Dune is available on Amazon through a Starz account. The Return is available there with a Showtime account.

Elephant Man is not currently streaming on any subscription services, however, this one does appear on streaming services pretty often.

Mulholland Drive is available on Mubi currently, and is also really popular on streaming services, so I wouldn't be shocked if it jumped to Amazon or Netflix at some point.

Neither Lost Highway and Inland Empire are available for streaming currently, nor are they available for purchase digitally, due to the recent remasters they just put in theaters. Physical releases are coming, and I wouldn't be shocked if either of them ended up on Criterion Channel sometime next year, but it'll be a wait.

The Straight Story is currently available on Disney+

DOPE FIEND KILLA G
Jun 4, 2011

oh i forgot Wild At Heart, which is not streaming anywhere currently. HBO shows it sometimes, but i don't think they have in a while

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

I feel like i saw fwwm on prime or Netflix i forget

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

It's really the way to go. I think I own the whole series twice over by different collections.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Bird in a Blender posted:

Does anyone know where these are streaming? I think FWWM is on HBO, but that’s all I know of.

Looks like Twin Peaks s1-2 are on Paramount Plus. The Return is on Showtime, possibly also in some Showtime add-on for Hulu and/or Amazon, haven't tried that.

I use that site justwatch to see where stuff is streaming usually. Blue Velvet for example is on a bunch of stuff, hoopla, kanopy, criterion etc. Or renting.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Watched Elephant Man for the first time this year and it is amazing. The sound design is incredible.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Saw the Lost Highway restoration last night. Now that's a hell of a movie. I'm still thinking about it 12 hours later. It's the kind of movie that really burrows its way in your brain.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Lost Highway was the only Lynch film I couldn't finish because there was such an oppressive sense of dread in it. I'm not sure what happens but I can tell you something very bad was going to happen in that house

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day

No Dignity posted:

Lost Highway was the only Lynch film I couldn't finish because there was such an oppressive sense of dread in it. I'm not sure what happens but I can tell you something very bad was going to happen in that house

:haibrow:

If you never plan on finishing it at least watch the car chase scene on YouTube or whatever.

But also please finish it at some point it’s great.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I can’t wait for the Lost Highway restoration to come out over here!!!

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

No Dignity posted:

How far did you get because you're completely spot on there but it's not even remotely the whole truth of it :v:

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

My Lovely Horse posted:

How far did you get because you're completely spot on there but it's not even remotely the whole truth of it :v:

Probably about 50 minutes in? Honestly I love how much dread Lynch can put into filming an empty house, he really understands the foreboding of mundane locations in a way I've seen very few directors even aim for

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

the first half of lost highway in the house is about as scary as david lynch gets. i love all of that stuff.

second half kinda loses me. it's basically another movie bolted on, so if you're worried about enduring another hour of dread, you're safe to continue on.

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqklHpEhQOQ

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Shout out to this thread for the Lost Highway tip. I saw it last night, almost totally blind (I had seen the mystery man phone scene). I really thought I had it figured out till the last 30 minutes or so.

I don't think I quite get everything yet but I loved every second. It's so moody and the lighting and lack thereof was used so well. Also, great soundtrack.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

If anything the last 30 minutes tie it all together.

Every time I watch it these days I think "oh this is actually perfectly straightforward" but I couldn't explain it for the life of me.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?

it's essentially the same explanation as Mulholland Dr

which is kind of funny because the short version is, "it was all a dream" which is the most hacky, cop out trick imaginable, except that David Lynch is so loving good that he pulls it off. But the funny part is that his daughter directed a movie with the same gimmick, Boxing Helena, and that movie is trrrrraaaaaaaasshhhh.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem
Yeah, one of the things I love about Lost Highway is how there’s a pretty clear and decipherable story there. It’s still open to interpretation, but it works just fine without huge leaps of convoluted dream logic once you have a framework for the “rules” of the movie. Just a really great show. Also agree that the last chunk of movie is why it works and doesn’t slide up its own rear end into “it was all a dream/hallucination” territory.

Edit: ^^^Lost Highway is not a dream.

NObodyNOWHERE fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jul 8, 2022

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem
God dammit quote is not edit.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

Edit: ^^^Lost Highway is not a dream.

Semantics. it's a mental fugue.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
RIP Harold Smith. Send orchids.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/lenny-von-dohlen-dead-twin-peaks-actor-1235177299/

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Sorry to hear, memorable for sure.

regulargonzalez posted:

That's part of the beauty of Lynch movies, the interpretation and personal things you get watching it. I myself tend to, much like Twin Peaks, I look at his stuff such as Lost Highway as a surreal dreamlike reality, but it is reality to me in the story. I don't tend to look for a real world explanation, since I guess that makes it have less wonder for me.

Heavy Metal fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jul 8, 2022

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
64 is very young. :(

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

regulargonzalez posted:

which is kind of funny because the short version is, "it was all a dream" which is the most hacky, cop out trick imaginable, except that David Lynch is so loving good that he pulls it off. But the funny part is that his daughter directed a movie with the same gimmick, Boxing Helena, and that movie is trrrrraaaaaaaasshhhh.

I keep forgetting Boxing Helena was related to David Lynch, and also that it made enough of an impact to become the name of an emotionally intense episode of Daria.

It might help that whole debacle make sense to know the movie was written by someone unrelated, and he roped Jennifer Lynch into it based on seeing her at a poetry reading, and she initially called the script trash.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Hell Gem

regulargonzalez posted:

I don't think it's a matter of semantics at all, because it's not the difference between a dream and a fugue state that I care about. When someone says it was all a dream, the implication is that it was all just in his head. I think it seems clear that everything in Lost Highway is really happening, which is waaaay more interesting to me. What if a person is in something akin to a psychogenic fugue and the real world and its rules rearrange to conform to what he wants and needs them to be? What if turns out some other people may have some influence on what's real too? And what happens if those people are deeply enmeshed in intense interpersonal conflict and wish to do each other harm? Holy poo poo, that's such a cool premise.

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Well, it took me 3 or 4 times to really GET Mulholland Drive. Looking forward to watching Lost Highway again.

For now, my jokey understanding is that two men are changing places every time their relationship with Patricia Arquette gets unbearable

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Mulholland Drive is amazing and my second favourite film of all time but I don’t see how it takes people multiple views to get it. It’s the only Lynch movie that can really be explained in one sentence and that explanation makes everything slot into place. I guess if you never read anything up online about it it makes sense.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Escobarbarian posted:

Mulholland Drive is amazing and my second favourite film of all time but I don’t see how it takes people multiple views to get it. It’s the only Lynch movie that can really be explained in one sentence and that explanation makes everything slot into place. I guess if you never read anything up online about it it makes sense.

Nah, you can do that for nearly all of them. 'There is a woman, in trouble'

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

An old man visits his brother to make amends but has only a lawnmower to drive.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Episode 8 was amazingly good, I laughed my rear end off that Lynch got a piece that is essentially suited for a weird niche short meter fesival, got aired on loving Showtime for all unsuspecting public to see.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I just rewatched Eraserhead (got the Blu-Ray in the recent Criterion sale) and :stonklol:

It's still just as terrifying as when I first saw it as a teenager. Makes me glad I'm not a parent because I don't think I'd be any good at handling it.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

I'm up to episode 14 in my rewatch with two friends who are watching for the first time. They're both loving it, I'm glad to say. I do, however, have to report an incident of someone not liking (part of) episode 8. He found the sequence going into the mushroom cloud where the film is all scratched up and burned to be "repetitive and self-indulgent". Also I think Threnody drove him mad.

He's a good friend so no :sever: but he's definitely on my potential tulpa watchlist

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006

I bet he likes The Masked Singer

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://twitter.com/Criterion/status/1547953393292812288

:sickos:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://twitter.com/dawnofthediscs/status/1549054820593848320

Hell yeah. This will be my 3rd Lynch Criterion disc.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Driving through northeast Portland the other day a theater was showing Lost Highway and I was like hell yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grandpa Palpatine
Dec 13, 2019

by vyelkin
My gf and I have been watching the show over the past two months. We just finished season 3. She is distraught that there's no resolution or ending to the show. I keep telling her that there may be another season if Lynch gets the mental energy to move forward with good ideas, but that it also will probably end with a vague ending that you are suppose to interpret for yourself lmbo

She was also super pissy about the Dougie plot being like 16 episodes long and [real] Cooper being back only for two and a half, but I thought it was a great long-con troll by Lynch. What a magnificent bastard.

Episode 8 was some of his best material imho.

I'm still not sure how to coalesce all of the lore into a coherent narrative, but I don't think I'm suppose to be able to do so?

Grandpa Palpatine fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Aug 1, 2022