Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

I'm gonna go with the theory of 'if it's survived this long, it must be one of the good ones' and I'm sticking to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Imperador do Brasil posted:

Here’s the weird part. Normally when I buy a car I have all kinds of instant buyer’s remorse and then it tapers, or tons of anxiety before I go get it. This one has had an entire month delay between making the deal and picking it up and I haven’t had a single moment of worry in that time.

Last two cars I've bought - zero anxiety (doesn't hurt one was a 16k E92 M3 and the other was a 69k NA Miata) -- but part of growing older is realizing that the world is on fire and... gently caress it

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

It drove 700 miles home without a hiccup, averaging 28mpg the entire time. I took the first 500 miles and my son did the last 200 (learner’s permit so no driving out of state). I have a BAD hip and I’ve never felt as fresh after a road trip in any car.
I drove this very car from Wichita to Raleigh and had a similar experience. It will absolutely devour miles and it won't hurt you in the process.

Bummer I couldn't be there to give it a send off.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

Speaking as a former owner, RIP your wallet.

Just wait until the engine dies! (granted, mine wasn't an R [it was a 2.5T AWD] but it was still fun for the 2 weeks and 500 miles I had it)

Also goon on Imperador for teaching the kiddo to drive stick.

And having been on a private jet (once), nah, the Volvo's seats are better.

EDIT: Maybe one day I will have enough money to buy that very car. It will become known as the S60 R that passes from goon to goon.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Yeah, sorry to pile on, it's just ribbing. Once I fixed mine it ran flawlessly for over a year without a single issue and I enjoyed every mile. My replacement is super bulletproof but pretty boring.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

I kept mine for 5 years, in which time I put about $14k into it including a nightmare process of multiple failed (auto) trans rebuilds. I got rid of it when the engine started telling knock knock jokes at 140k. That was with a shop doing all the work so if you DIY it will be cheaper. By most accounts I got a borderline lemon though so I doubt yours will be that bad.

The good: the most comfortable seats of any car I've owned, beautiful inside and out. Felt quicker than the numbers suggest. Sounded great.

The bad: cost. handling was good but not great.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

I kept mine for 5 years, in which time I put about $14k into it including a nightmare process of multiple failed (auto) trans rebuilds. I got rid of it when the engine started telling knock knock jokes at 140k. That was with a shop doing all the work so if you DIY it will be cheaper. By most accounts I got a borderline lemon though so I doubt yours will be that bad.

The good: the most comfortable seats of any car I've owned, beautiful inside and out. Felt quicker than the numbers suggest. Sounded great.

The bad: cost. handling was good but not great.

Luckily I’ve got a manual, and a good PO with excellent service history.

It’s quite pretty and the interior is wonderful for sure.

I appreciate all the ribbing about the Swedish trouble child, but I’m still massively excited!

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

I loved that car, but my love became overshadowed by 'oh god, what's going to be next?' almost every drive.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

We've got a real Goonhood of the Traveling Volvo situation here. Imperador you are hereby required to give goons first dibs on that car when you sell it next year.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Enos Cabell posted:

We've got a real Goonhood of the Traveling Volvo situation here. Imperador you are hereby required to give goons first dibs on that car when you sell it next year.

QFT

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Silver is a boring color and doesn't do that car justice, you need a wrap in an insane color.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

bird with big dick posted:

Silver is a boring color and doesn't do that car justice, you need a wrap in an insane color.

I second this motion.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Enos Cabell posted:

We've got a real Goonhood of the Traveling Volvo situation here. Imperador you are hereby required to give goons first dibs on that car when you sell it next year in 6 months.

:colbert:

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Enos Cabell posted:

toplitzin had it for a long time, I hope to give the car a good home while I have it. I’ve wanted an R for a long time, and this is the nicest used one I’ve found in all my searching.

Darchangel posted:

I second this motion.

Yes well, the Electric Silver does have some blue in it. If I’d had my druthers, Flash Green would have been my pick but the car is gorgeous as-is and I won’t nitpick a color when the rest is so so good.

Oh you guys hush now.

Imperador do Brasil fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Jun 28, 2022

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Crowdfund a Miami blue wrap, I’ll kick in :20bux:

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Oh you guys hush now.

i mean it does seem like you buy and sell like 4 cars a year

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

BraveUlysses posted:

as god intends

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

BraveUlysses posted:

I like cars. They’re like Pokémon, I wanna have ‘em all.

I currently have seven, but I’m half-heartedly trying to sell the MINI. If it sells, it’s a replenishment for the bank account. If it doesn’t, it’s going to be a winter car since three of the others don’t come out in the cold and salty times.

Imperador do Brasil fucked around with this message at 15:30 on Jun 28, 2022

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Still need center caps and window tint and maybe one of those vehicle specific 10" subwoofer enclosures that tucks into a corner of the trunk

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

That looks so good, makes me wish even harder Tesla supported CarPlay. Loved the model3 I test drove other than the goddamn user interface.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

RIP Paul Walker posted:

That looks so good, makes me wish even harder Tesla supported CarPlay. Loved the model3 I test drove other than the goddamn user interface.

you can get Android Auto working on it, you just need 2 Raspberry Pi and be a mondo loving nerd lmao

https://jalopnik.com/to-get-apple-carplay-on-your-tesla-first-buy-a-raspber-1848900762

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Yeah the loss of carplay stings a little bit. Tesla's voice recognition is really good though which helps. I still haven't figured out how to get it to play my play lists with voice, maybe it isn't possible.

TheGoatTrick
Aug 1, 2002

Semi-aquatic personification of unstoppable douchery
"Mom, can we have a Boxster?"

"We have a Boxster at home."

The Boxster at home:

I already have a Miata, but the opportunity came up and I couldn't not take it. Already cleaned it up a bit and replaced the struts and a couple other suspension components. Putting stuff in it is a pain (the only storage is behind the seats) and it is as slow as all the reviews say, but otherwise I'm having a great time.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
extreeeeemly clean! nice pickup

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Slow but extremely tossable, those are fun little cars on a tight road. I didn't realize the frunk was so small on those, that's pretty funny

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Just-In-Timeberlake posted:

you can get Android Auto working on it, you just need 2 Raspberry Pi and be a mondo loving nerd lmao

https://jalopnik.com/to-get-apple-carplay-on-your-tesla-first-buy-a-raspber-1848900762

Oh nice so how’s it working for you??

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

Oh nice so how’s it working for you??

I'll have you know I am an Apple man through and through.

You can take that green bubble poo poo and gtfo here

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

TheGoatTrick posted:

"Mom, can we have a Boxster?"

"We have a Boxster at home."

The Boxster at home:

I already have a Miata, but the opportunity came up and I couldn't not take it. Already cleaned it up a bit and replaced the struts and a couple other suspension components. Putting stuff in it is a pain (the only storage is behind the seats) and it is as slow as all the reviews say, but otherwise I'm having a great time.

I don't understand why they never put the 2ZZ in these.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

Should have just kept putting the 3SGTE in it. I was so disappointed when I learned what engine it had. But drat that is a nice clean one.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
I saw one for sale last year with a K20A2 swap, looked nicely done. Regretting not bidding on it.

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
engine be damned, that thing is fun as gently caress to toss around

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

I have the 1ZZ in my Vibe and the thought of that motor in a fun car puts me to sleep.

Do the needful, 2ZZ swap it.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

There's a yellow one for sale at a dealership on my way to work

https://www.alphacars.com/vehicle-details/used-2001-toyota-mr2-spyder-5-speed-acton-ma-id-46014262

35k miles, asking $29k

Wish I had the money for it.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Every hose, belt, seal, and gasket on that car is 21 years old. You do not want that car. Especially for $30k what?

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
There is no universe where that car is worth 30k
https://youtu.be/byoWTjxfVrE

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

Kilonum posted:

https://www.alphacars.com/vehicle-details/used-2001-toyota-mr2-spyder-5-speed-acton-ma-id-46014262

35k miles, asking $29k

lmaooooooooooooooo

that car could be new off the boat and still wouldn't be worth $30k

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Kilonum posted:

35k miles, asking $29k

Even in today’s market that’s at best a $10k car.
They’re fun to drive, but not “collectible”

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

um excuse me posted:

Every hose, belt, seal, and gasket on that car is 21 years old. You do not want that car. Especially for $30k what?

meaningless without context. nearly all the rubber and plastic on my '83 rx-7 is original. or at least since 1986, when the lady started keeping all maintenance receipts.

$29k is bonkers for that thing though

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

um excuse me posted:

As already mentioned, context is important. I'm the guy routinely pressing low mileage, at least 25 years old cars into service with very few issues in the Florida heat. High compression turbo ones too.

Don't pay 30k for that though, get an SW20 or Celica GT-Four instead :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Or if you hate yourself a Pulsar GTiR! Note: do not so this to yourself.