Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here

I said come in! posted:

Sweet! I got to level 40 last night, so my goal is to finish by getting to level 60 and then I can uninstall this mess and move on.

lol you crazy gently caress

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
I’m looking forward to the music mini game to somehow allow people to inject code again and cause peoples PSUs to catch on fire.

“When in music mode a player becomes a small white hot Sun that destroys every LCD cell in a monitor and also creates a small yet potent curse that renders the player unable to copulate”

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

Rexicon1 posted:

I’m looking forward to the music mini game to somehow allow people to inject code again and cause peoples PSUs to catch on fire.

“When in music mode a player becomes a small white hot Sun that destroys every LCD cell in a monitor and also creates a small yet potent curse that renders the player unable to copulate”
The chat window gets displayed on top of the music mini-game UI, and the chat window has had a lot of obvious vulnerabilities since launch, so you might not be far off.

If nothing else, I expect global chat to be filled with random "wawasassssswwwwwwAAAA" messages when it launches as people accidentally activate their cursor in the chat window while they're trying to 5 star a drum solo.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Rexicon1 posted:

lol you crazy gently caress

Absolutely nuts. I am level 53 now, and starting to question why I am doing this. Even with 2x EXP it has slowed way down.

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

Apparently the new Summer event that's being tested in the PTR is essentially just a reputation leveling system based on repeating the same generic quests over and over again. After the first few easy levels where you just dance in a particular area, it becomes an extended grind involving lots of fishing and catching bugs, and the swarm-catching portion is currently bugged (no pun intended) in multiple ways. The dancing quests are also bugged, but the workarounds seem to be simple enough, you just have to leave and then re-enter the dance floor between your dancing animations. Everything in this period is true, to the best of my knowledge.

People testing the PTR are making it clear that players will not enjoy the grind associated with the Summer Event, and people who leave feedback about the PTR are typically very accommodating when it comes to the amount of grinding they'll tolerate.

Today is the busiest day New World has seen in 2 weeks, and the PTR population never exceeded 63 players at once. This seems bad if my theory is correct and AGS is trying to rely solely on the PTR for QA and not using any kind of internal test team.

Asmongold has briefly logged onto New World, dramatically inflating it's Twitch viewership, but I think it's just so he can make a YouTube video about the PTR update; I didn't get the impression he was trying to test all 150 perk combinations as he ate his dinner on-screen while his character was autorunning into a boulder. I have to admit I've referenced some of his videos to learn more about MMO's, but it still blows my mind that there is a popular MMO streamer, and that Asmongold is that person, because it seems so dull watching somebody else level up professions & I feel like he doesn't break any of the stereotypes somebody might have of what an MMO streamer would sounds like.

This has been your Sunday New World update!

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

Double post, but I need to issue a retraction. Although they're introducing 5 new musical instruments, they all share the same skill category of Music, so there's only 1 new skill to try to level to 200, not 5.

However, New World's API has allowed players to extract the XP values needed to max out the Music skill. To get to level 200, players will need a total of 5.1 million XP, with the jump from 199 to 200 requiring 91,000 XP, the equivalent of leveling the skill from 1 to 48. From what we've seen on the PTR, completing an expert-difficulty song with 3 out of 4 stars nets players about 250 XP, so that's 365 songs needed to transition from level 199 to 200.

Using the table from the link, you can see where the breakdown in leveling happens. From levels 1-25, XP needed to level up increases by 75 each level (75, 150, 225, etc.), which equates to each new level requiring a quarter song more than the previous level. This ramp-up on it's own would be a hell of a grind if kept consistent, as by the time you got to level 199 you'd need to play 60 songs to reach level 200, and you'd have played over 6,000 songs to completely master the skill. This is assuming Expert-difficulty songs played well enough to get 3 out of 4 stars, so presumably some players would take longer if they can't get a handle on the rhythm game.

However, for some reason AGS decided this grind wasn't enough, so the increase in XP needed per level jumps dramatically as you get deeper into the skill. For a complete breakdown:
-for levels 25-50, XP needed increases by 100 per level
-50-75 by 150
-75-100 by 300
-100-150 by 500
-150-175 by 800
-175-190 by 1,000
-the last 10 levels increment from increases of 1,100 to 1,200 all the way up to a 2,000 XP increase between levels 199 to 200.

Using the baseline 250 XP per song as a standard, this system means a player would need to complete over 20,000 songs to achieve mastery. These are songs that take 1 real-time minute to perform, along with significant animations and awkward down times before & after each song. You're looking at an investment of close to 400 hours to max out this skill. The other gathering & harvesting skills have a variable amount of XP needed to gain levels that increase slightly as a player gets to higher levels, but nothing like this exponential growth in a system that already seems terribly inefficient to grind levels in.

It feels like the new PvP track all over again, where AGS is so terrified of players reaching the end of content they've introduced system that no rationale person would choose to become invested in.

The normal caveats apply, of course, that this is all based on the PTR and maybe the developers will step in and make some changes to the system to make it more sensible before they release it.

Discospawn fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jun 27, 2022

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

FFXIVs Perform Feature is limited to Bards, so you have to level 30 Levels as an Archer to access it. That takes around.. Uhhh, 4-5h? Probably faster if you prepare for it. Plus doing the Mainquest until Sylph Management, that unlocks Jobstones.

Jack-Off Lantern fucked around with this message at 12:18 on Jun 27, 2022

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

Here's a good example of the level of polish on the PTR:

quote:

It can also be brough to a workshop to extract materials, fabercate items, or used to gain armorsmithing experiance.

3 typos in 1 sentence is efficient, and these mistakes exist in every tooltip that uses this description format. There are a lot of similar misspellings throughout the game (PTR and even in the Live version).

It's not that I'm trying to make fun of trivial typos on the PTR when they have another month to make changes and improvements to the build, it's that it points to their in-house processes still being completely amateurish, as these are things that get caught with common methods like meaningful peer review of tasks or using the right tools to create in-game text (tools that include spell check).

It makes me imagine that the text in this game is written directly as a local, static String variable within the development environment, in whatever class is currently being developed/edited, which not only allows for these mistakes but also makes it 10 times harder to correct them once they're discovered. If you have a common String definition library, at least that can be passed into Microsoft Word before finalization, but I get the feeling that for some reason AGS only has access to some in-house word processor they've created over the past 5 years, and it's spell check function only covers prepositions.

In more important news, the PTR perk rework continues to uncover foundational problems. Perhaps the biggest issue is that weapon combat perks were changed to be more powerful than combat perks on armor, but unfortunately those combat perks get disabled on weapon swap. There are also issues with the newly reworked benefits for the +50 attribute bonuses, where they seem not to work as the tooltips suggest they should, with players in the PTR forums arguing with each other over whether they're working properly and the bonus is just described incorrectly in-game "like a similar bonus that has had incorrect text since launch that everybody who plays the game already knows about and understands," (quoted because that's an actual argument that somebody on the forums made). Everything points to this rework being possibly the worst way for AGS to spend their remaining resources in support of this game.

Discospawn fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Jun 27, 2022

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me
stupid ideas that are poorly executed with no QA

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

A new thing the game does now if you are AFK, is that you get kicked from the game and you are killed. lol

caleb
Jul 17, 2004
...rough day at the orifice.

I said come in! posted:

A new thing the game does now if you are AFK, is that you get kicked from the game and you are killed. lol

Does all of the gear in your inventory lose durability when you get AFKO'd?

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

I said come in! posted:

The game had no afk system at launch, allowing people to afk to avoid ever having to wait in server queues once they logged in. After a while, they added an afk feature that literally only looks for character movement, and does not respond to active player engagement like: chatting, fishing, using the auction house, etc.

The new music skill also falls prey to this, so that's an additional tax on the music grind where you'll have to stop every few songs and move 1 pixel in some direction before you can get back to your bard roleplay. Of course, this allows another player to start playing music nearby, forcing you to move out of their 'music zone,' because you can't start playing music until you're a certain distance away from anybody else playing an instrument.

Sounds hosed up.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

caleb posted:

Does all of the gear in your inventory lose durability when you get AFKO'd?

Yep!

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
there was an afk system at launch, it was just very easily and hilariously defeated by autorunning into a wall all night long

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Made it to level 56 today. Not much longer to go until I can put this game down. :blastu: I could just do it right now but I like to suffer.

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

I said come in! posted:

Made it to level 56 today.
Congrats! Based on XP, you're 82% of the way there!

Proud graduate of the Andy Reid coaching clinic.

I said come in! posted:

Made it to level 56 today. Not much longer to go until I can put this game down. :blastu: I could just do it right now but I like to suffer.

I’m curious, are you finding any parts of the game fun? What has been your favorite stuff or skills or zones, or has it been all torture.

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

While leveling has there been any PvP you've experienced? You can't do OPR's or Wars, and I think you've said you couldn't get Arena matches because there weren't enough sub-60 players queuing for them. There's no reason for you to flag for open-world PvP, because you would be so ineffective against level 60 players with higher Gear Score. Can you imagine a PvP-focused player finishing the grind to Level 60? Do you think the average player would even know/care about the PvP systems in the game before they reached Level 60?

Also, what has your social experience been like in the game, as far as finding other players to level up with, or even just general chat or Auction House activity? I imagine even the most populated servers have very few players who aren't already Level 60 (since the populated servers are largely the result of hardcore players transferring there from 1 of the other dying servers), but some of the servers have such low activity that it could probably take a lot of playtime before you even saw another person in-game. In either case, I imagine it would feel very alienating.

Edit: I'm asking the questions because one of the top posts on Reddit today is titled, "Returning PvP players— spend a day on the PTR to see if it’s worth coming back!" The entire premise of the post is really disingenuous though, because the PTR essentially guarantees that every player has roughly equivalent character level, gear score, and access to equipment (since everybody just opens the same pre-determined loot boxes to get stuff), and thus paints over all the time and grinding needed to reach a similar level on the live version of the game.

At least the PTR is accurate in 1 way; there are so few players on the server now that it's probably impossible to get Arenas or OPRs to trigger.

Edit 2: Also, as a content-related update, the new weekly mutation dungeon limit is confirmed on the PTR to be the worst possible implementation of the mechanic, where joining an expedition at any point will subtract 1 stack from your maximum allowance, and once you reach the cap you will be unable to join any more expeditions until the weekly reset. So it seems to really discourage running an expedition unless you can have a high degree of confidence that you will complete it successfully in a timely manner, which works in direct opposition to the new group finder system they plan on introducing at the same time.

I guess this is the solution that most limits the 'problem' of players selling carry-services for expeditions (which can be indirectly seen as something that supports Real Money Transfer services), but it also seems to make the game much worse for everybody.

Discospawn fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Jun 28, 2022

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Discospawn posted:

You're looking at an investment of close to 400 hours to max out this skill.

Is there even any tangible point to maxing the music skill, or is it just a case of "make number go up"?

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

Nipponophile posted:

Is there even any tangible point to maxing the music skill, or is it just a case of "make number go up"?
Higher levels allow you to unlock different/better buffs you can choose to proc with the song. Here's the quote from the PTR patch notes:

quote:

More buffs unlock as your trade skill XP increases. The buffs (in order of progression) are:

Decidedly Dexterous: Gathering Speed increases by 75% for 30-90min.
Territorial Triumph: Territory Standing Bonus increases by 10%-30% for 30-90min.
All Together Now: Group Character XP Sharing Bonus increases by 4%-15% for 30-90min.
Song in your Step: Reduces Player Encumbrance by 200-1,000 for 30-90min.
Fortune’s Favor: Gathering Yield increases by 3%-10% for 30-90min.
Luck’s Labor: Gathering Luck increases by 2% - 5% for 30-90min.
The unlock levels for each of the buffs, in order, are 2, 5, 25, 75, 100, and 150. Already, 1 of the biggest issues with the music system is how minor these buffs are, so the fact that you have to grind so much to unlock them is pretty laughable.

Based on the API datamined figures, there's no benefit to XP gain or gold yield from tips or anything from higher levels like there are in other gathering/crafting skills (e.g. leveling Logging let's you chop trees down faster as you level up).

There's also a crafting element to the musical instruments, which is why I got confused into thinking they were 5 separate skills earlier. Each of the 5 instruments can be crafted/upgraded from tiers 1 to 5, with higher tiers having perks associated with them. The PTR doesn't give players the materials need to craft these items, though, so I couldn't find any good information about what these perks might do or how much of an additional grind it would be to max out each instrument.

Here's a 10 minute video by a New World content creator explaining the system. It's not particularly entertaining, the main appeal is watching him explain the system and all of the weird, awkward, unpolished aspects of it while still trying to portray it optimistically, which is kind of the only appeal of most of these content-creator videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMr_bEdNg7M

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Ort posted:

I’m curious, are you finding any parts of the game fun? What has been your favorite stuff or skills or zones, or has it been all torture.

Exploring the gameworld, it's really pretty. Otherwise, not really? This game still isn't fun. Quests are too spread out, traveling is too slow, and experience gain is too low without 2x EXP events and rested experience. Game needs mounts, more teleport waypoints, the ability to teleport to a waypoint from anywhere, more story quests, and more unique sidequests in general.

DaitoX
Mar 1, 2008
I enjoyed the dungeons, those were done pretty well. But a chore to find a group and an orb for. The upcoming patch should help with that but I think it is too late for the leveling dungeons and based on their track record a group finder is not enticing enough for me to reinstall and start that watermark grind.

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

They released the patch notes for tonight's weekly update. Here's what they were in their entirety:

That's right, they've messed with Arena rewards again, this time by introducing another new currency with a daily limit. For those who want to see the progression of the Arena rewards system over the past 5 weeks:

It feels like this is an attempted response to 2 complaints:
1) The Arena mode isn't consistently rewarding enough to justify grinding games for PvP Track progress
2) There is no way for PvP players to efficiently increase their Gear Score & Expertise through PvP activities

Unfortunately, I don't think these changes do enough to address players' issues.

Since Arenas still have no form of matchmaking for Level 60 players, a large % of games end up being 3-0 stomps, and the rewards for winning 0 rounds is still probably the least efficient use of time if your goal is to advance through the PvP Track. I understand why they've been reluctant to make 3-0 matches rewarding for the losing team, because it could lead to people afk farming Arena losses and ruining the entire mode for people solo queuing to try to play/win their games, so I guess we'll see if that becomes a problem after this update.

Introducing the new orb rewards will technically allow players to increase their expertise solely through PvP. But again, Arenas doesn't have any form of matchmaking or Gear Score normalization, so people who still need to increase their Gear Score will probably find Arenas to be incredibly unfun (as will their teammates if they solo queue while below 600 GS, automatically putting their team at a heavy disadvantage).

Edit: They briefly removed the patch notes but then put them back up a couple hours later without any changes.

Discospawn fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jun 28, 2022

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
I think you're underestimating the gigantic amount of bullshit nw players will go through to get more gathering luck

those trophy upgrade thingys gave 5% gathering or 1.5% loot luck and people were paying stupid amounts for them, frequently tens of thousands

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
didn't it turn out that gathering luck was worthless or something

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.

1stGear posted:

Part of it is probably Lost Ark being the mythic Good MMO for as long as it was safely untranslated in Korea (yeah I realize you could still get in but only so many Westerners did that). Now its actually here and people have to face the reality that its a basically a gussied-up mobile game. Now they too must face the grim truth that this forum accepts: there will never be a good MMO.

That's the sad truth. I have been back to gw2 lately and their recent patches just re-enforced my impression that since gaming execs found out that they can just fleece people with predatory microtransactions for a fraction of the effort and multiple times more profit, even the existing mmos (I would include wow there too) are just maintained by what is almost a skeleton crew that might even produce some smaller scale expansions but only to keep the whales ocupied or just to avoid leaving any cash on the table.

edit: FFXIV being the exception. But only due to it's unique history and yoship being and absolute hero, co's square enix is terrible with anything else.

Pigbottom fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Jun 29, 2022

ShowTime
Mar 28, 2005
New World had it's largest viewership on Twitch in months, like since a month or so after release. Asmongold streamed it for a bit, i'm guessing because Amazon paid him to play it for their drops.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

ShowTime posted:

New World had it's largest viewership on Twitch in months, like since a month or so after release. Asmongold streamed it for a bit, i'm guessing because Amazon paid him to play it for their drops.

Nah, he has been pretty positive on the game lately and keeps wanting to give it a chance. Their drop program is open to everyone who applies for it. Even my own twitch channel has drops enabled for New World, but I don't stream that game.

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

ShowTime posted:

I mentioned his Sunday stream earlier in the thread, and it was definitely not an endorsement deal. It was 54 minutes of listing New World as the game, and most of that time he was eating a meal, talking to somebody else in the background of his webcam, and opening up his channel's Discord to do a, "Plead Your Case To Be Unbanned," segment.

He also just started streaming the game again an hour ago, on the live version and not the PTR this time, after rage quitting Lost Ark when he spent a bunch of gold on their RNG crafting system and didn't get what he wanted. But spent the first 20 minutes after opening the game talking about some weird streamer drama issues and other unrelated stuff without really interacting with New World. If AGS is paying him and this is all they're getting for their money... well, it'd be an accurate reflection of how efficiently they've spent most of the game's development budget.

The more I think about it, the more I realize this is totally on brand for AGS. They might have some weird metric of 'attain a peak Twitch viewership of at least 20,000 each month,' and knew they could achieve that by getting Asmongold to play it for 1 hour at any point. You can actually see how transparently obvious it kind of looks from the Twitch viewership numbers:

They've done 1 Twitch event every month to have 1 day of high peak Twitch viewership, so maybe they were coming up to the end of June and realized they needed to do something fast to meet their monthly quota. Maybe they thought the PTR release would get them their numbers and panicked when it didn't reach their arbitrary self-mandated goal.

This is all crazy talk, I know, but the notion that Asmongold was getting paid for these low quality streams was so ridiculous that it came full circle and started making perfect sense. Asmongold just finished the stream after playing for an hour and losing like 25% of his viewer numbers in that time.

Vilgan
Dec 30, 2012

Discospawn posted:

Yeah, I think it was for their big February patch that they promoted the new expedition and the blunderbuss, but the community was most excited about the QoL changes to tax rates, housing costs, shared storage between cities, & reduced fast travel costs. Even with their new article showcasing the 'progress' the game has made, they save all the QoL changes for the 3rd-from-last bullet point, and use sub-bullets to list them as though they are the least consequential things they've done in 9 months.

I wonder if there's a culture within AGS where polishing/improving game features doesn't do anything to improve their internal metrics, so it rarely happens. Then they assume that players are evaluating their game by the same standards as their management, so they don't even think to mention small enhancements when they happen. It would explain why they reworked literally every perk rather than focusing on balancing the biggest outliers, and introduced 5 new skills for musical instruments rather than figuring out a way to make the Fishing skill a meaningful activity. It's like they think iteration on a feature is a sign of weakness, or maybe they recognize that they aren't capable of understanding how to make small changes to improve a system so they just always rework the system to cover up for the fact.

Yeah, I knew about the Blunderbuss but had no clue they addressed the QOL complaints I mentioned. Might even log in and try this game again...

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
What is the war meta like now that population is so low? Not so much the actual combat meta but like… does an average player have any better chance to get into a war?

I could imagine it going one way or another… like either no one cares about it anymore so it’s way easier to get in, or it’s much harder because the “core PvP” community on a server must be incredibly insular at this point.

By the time I stopped playing it was incredibly toxic and unless you were in the “in group” you basically had no chance - most wars were fought by the same 200 or so people, and often you would see spots getting filled outside of the faction by the “core PvP” group over other available same faction groups. There was a lot of drama due to the random chance in the war bid system, and a ton of drama over who was “allowed” to declare on popular territories like EF and WW.

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

causticBeet posted:

What is the war meta like now that population is so low? Not so much the actual combat meta but like… does an average player have any better chance to get into a war?

I could imagine it going one way or another… like either no one cares about it anymore so it’s way easier to get in, or it’s much harder because the “core PvP” community on a server must be incredibly insular at this point.

By the time I stopped playing it was incredibly toxic and unless you were in the “in group” you basically had no chance - most wars were fought by the same 200 or so people, and often you would see spots getting filled outside of the faction by the “core PvP” group over other available same faction groups. There was a lot of drama due to the random chance in the war bid system, and a ton of drama over who was “allowed” to declare on popular territories like EF and WW.
With the introduction of server transfer tokens, people who care about PvP & being part of a big company have mostly congregated to the same servers, so server populations are typically either "over 1,000 players peak" or "under 500 peak." As a result, it seems like there's only 2 possible situations for every server; either "Wars happen but only 1% of the server participates" or "Wars don't happen on the server anymore." 1 exception to this is the US-West region, which has 2,000 players spread somewhat evenly across 3 servers, but even there it seems like the Yggdrasil server is for Wars & PvP and the others don't care about that stuff.

1 of the issues is the use of shell companies to allow a company to control the timings of Wars to ensure that they can always use the same 50 man roster for every battle. Another issue is the imbalance in the population distribution between each faction on some servers, and the 1 month cooldown timer on changing faction affiliation that acts as a barrier for companies who want to change factions so they can compete against a rival company that's the same color as them.

Basically, the problems with the War system are the same as what you remember, just a bit more streamlined for the servers that still engage with the system. It's part of the reason why the upcoming introduction of daily/weekly limits on running expeditions seems so unreasonable. When AGS explained they were doing it to prevent more active players from developing an advantage over less active players, it didn't come with further changes to territory control & the tax income mechanic, so it's hard to believe they really care about making the game more accessible to casual players or those on less active servers.

The self-selection bias in server populations also makes it hard to gather constructive feedback from players to decide what the game should focus on, because they now have wildly different experiences based on the type of server they play on. For example, on populated servers, there was a lot of open-world PvP around Great Cleave for a month after the Arena update, while on low-population servers there was just a conga line of people running around in Great Cleave completing PvP missions in peace. AGS managed to implement a nerf that angered players on both servers, so I guess that's kind of impressive that they managed to find a solution that impacted both types of servers equally (just, equally badly).

DaitoX
Mar 1, 2008

causticBeet posted:

So I have not played since december, so it might have changed obviously.

But at first I managed to get wars because there simply weren't that much high level players yet, so simply being max got you a spot. Then it gradually changed and you needed to jump trough all these hoops to be able to play. Join some discord server, sign up there, note your weapons and gear score and poo poo like that. If you did not do that you didn't get to participate, these were the toxic " in groups" you remember. I did not participate in any wars at this point because gently caress that, joining a voice channel is acceptable but anything more is a hassle and gently caress it.

Once population started dropping it was so much easier to get into wars again, some people would be begging for sign-ups even. So you could pick your side and usually get to play. So yeah, you could join wars your faction wasn't even a part off.

The pve invasions saw something similar. While technically group leaders could only pick 10 people and the rest would be random, after everyone got in the group leaders could still kick whoever they wanted and then invite new people. So while population was high a lot of people would sign up, get kicked anyway if they were lucky enough to get in and then the same few people would do the invasions. Eventually there simply weren't enough people interested to do it, so you could sign up and 100% get the spot. You'd lose very fast because the content was scaled for 50 people and you would have like 15 people in there if you were lucky. You'd still get some rewards for losing though.

I think both the toxic in-group war behavior and the kicking of the group from invasions sped up people leaving the game.

Currently a mix of both of these things probably exist, the 3 or 4 crowded servers probably have the in-group problem and the other servers don't have enough players to fill out the groups.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

Fiye posted:

Doesn't this also apply to neverwinter 1 for 1?

the new leveling system in Neverwinter actually makes it pretty easy for new players to play through the main story campaign and then dip their toes into endgame content before choosing whether or not they feel like grinding. but before the leveling rework, hooooooo weeeeeee. if you thought STO's ~20 currencies were bad, NW frequently had 3-4 unique currencies per zone :barf:

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

On a related note about the effects of the game's declining population, here's an illustration of why it's a super-bad idea if AGS is relying on the community to extensively test all of the patch changes on the PTR:

They said they were going to release the new expedition to the PTR this week, and most people assumed it would happen today at 10AM to match last week's timing, but so far they haven't announced when/if that's still going to happen. They were also going to introduce their group-finder tool to the PTR, but I'm not sure how much functionality they can test on a server where it's easier to just use global chat to coordinated with the couple dozen people that are playing with you.

It would absolutely be understandable if they delayed the release of the expedition patch because of how many core problems have been found with the 1st PTR build, involving pretty much every major change they introduced. However, AGS' history of poor communication means we'll probably get a vague announcement on Friday at 5:00 PM PST delaying the expedition for unspecified reasons.

But hey, they extended the latest promotion where you can get this beautiful cosmetic item by watching New World on Twitch for 4 hours:
https://twitter.com/jdrayb88/status/1542283779280093188

Maybe it looks better if the entire party wears the same outfit:

Gandolf in the back trying to duck out of the photo because he knows how humiliating this is. But he needed to be there so they could use his magic to make the guy in the middle levitate.

Edit: Also, this was posted in the Lost Ark forums earlier today from one of the Customer Support people that supports both that game & New World:

It confirms that the Customer Service reps don't actually have any power/authority to help people, or training/resources to better understand/troubleshoot common issues. It also confirms the impression that AGS is driven by a culture of metrics rather than any attempt to understand what makes a game fun or engaging.

Of course, this is just a single anecdotal post from an ex-employee, so it's not 100% reliable and doesn't provide any deep insight into the software or management part of AGS, but it does seem kind of sad and believable. Forcing the Customer Support rep to buy their own copy of New World is almost laughably villainous.

Edit 2: Apparently AGS released a patch for Lost Ark today (the last day of the calendar month) after delaying the patch from earlier in the month, and the patch's maintenance period lasted 5 times longer than planned and when the servers came back up there were a host of obvious bugs, especially regarding cooldown timers for items with weekly resets. That sounds familiar.

Discospawn fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jun 30, 2022

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

DaitoX posted:

I think both the toxic in-group war behavior and the kicking of the group from invasions sped up people leaving the game.

Definitely agree with this. I’ve played a lot of MMOs that have many more hoops to jump through - EVE is probably the big example here where there is a lot of focus on what basically amounts to video game HR. It makes sense there for a variety of reasons that make it feel like it’s more than just “the core PvP clique that you need to suck up to to get into war”

But EVE is a super niche game for a very specific type of broke brain gamer. I personally had friends who were playing NW, who probably are more representative of the average mmo player, and when they were met with stuff like “join this discord at a specific time and register your build on this form” or “get slotted to invasion by game, then kicked and reinvited for 15 minutes” they basically said “gently caress this I’m out” and wrote off engaging with any of that content.

FrostyPox
Feb 8, 2012

13.6K average players in the last 30 days. How much longer will the game last, I wonder?

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

Surprisingly, they put out a PTR update just now with a list of patch notes, which I've taken excerpts from:

There were lots of fixes in the notes actually (including the typo-ridden item descriptions I posted earlier), these were just some particularly funny things. Like, did they really need PTR feedback to learn that the 1 gold tip players could give/get after finishing a song was ridiculously worthless? Or was the 1 gold amount just a placeholder value that they used during prototyping and couldn't get approval in time to change it to a useful value before the first PTR?

Although it wasn't mentioned in the patch notes, they also say that the new Expedition & Expedition Group Finder were also added with this patch, so we'll have to wait and see what those new features are like. I'm expecting this Expedition to be significantly less polished than the last one, assuming that my theory is correct that the previous expedition was already finished content from the game's early development and this new one will be a reflection of what they could develop over the past 6 months.

FrostyPox posted:

13.6K average players in the last 30 days. How much longer will the game last, I wonder?
Black Desert Online has jumped ahead of New World this week for player population, partly because Black Desert is 90% off during the Steam summer Sale (making it 99 cents) as opposed to New World's meager 40% discount (which still leaves it as a $25 title). We're starting to run out of active Steam MMO's that New World is staying ahead of, but at least it's still comfortably beating Fallout 76 & Conan Exiles (for now).

Discospawn
Mar 3, 2007

Just watched a streamer try to do the new expedition. All of the enemies were existing character models, and parts of the expedition were very clearly the same level geometry & design from the Lazarus Expedition. Shortly after beating the midpoint boss, the game kicked everybody in his group back to menu and he ended the stream.

The new Group Finder system seems to rely a lot on the honor system, as players choose their own role designations (DPS, Healer, Tank) when queuing for the feature. It seems like this would quickly lead to a problem where DPS players who are tired of waiting for a group will just change their role and wind up matchin with other DPS players who thought the same thing. I get the feeling that the feature will result in a lot of groups that can't manage to make progress through the expedition, which will lead to nobody using the group finder tool because players won't want to waste their time (or daily/weekly ration of expedition runs) with these failed attempts.

It looks like the entire PTR server has crashed now. I guess it was being overtaxed once it reached 74 concurrent players.

Edit: I've started following the trajectory of Lost Ark as well, AGS' other game, and it's going through some severe problems after their latest patch today. The game still has a problem with bots that they're trying to make progress towards solving, but this has resulted in the game's player count going from 885,000 on June 12 to today's population of less than 150,000. The game's forums are filled with people complaining about the new event introduced with today's patch, which has daily quests that ask players to stand in a location for 3 minutes without doing anything (and there are 3 of these daily quests, and the game encourages players to have multiple characters who all do these quests every day).

It's looking like Lost Ark's reputation of being AGS' first relative success is actually entirely false, and the game is a hollow shell that just got infested with bots 3 months after release that resulted in an incredibly superficial appearance of competency.

Discospawn fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Jul 1, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Discospawn posted:

But hey, they extended the latest promotion where you can get this beautiful cosmetic item by watching New World on Twitch for 4 hours:
https://twitter.com/jdrayb88/status/1542283779280093188

I've been reading this whole thread with horrified fascination, but what's really been getting to me lately is how badly they're loving up cosmetics. I always assumed "make some mildly attractive/sexy/cool/funny cosmetics, get that microtransaction dollar" was a trivially low bar for any online game with an art staff, but AGS still can't clear it, and that's all in concepts and not execution. Can these guys not just make some jeans and a cool jacket and call it a day? Is this some kind of "product identity" thing?