Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
The piano scene in 3 is the best scene in the series

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

God's Message is a fantastic track, yes

YouTube also does not like sharing "3EM01_Em20_Master" (Decisive battle, but they throw bongos and an electric guitar into the mix), as it's hidden on every playlist, but the longer version Bataille d'Espace is free to roam the airwaves

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The opening segments of 4.0 are my choice for the absolute best moments in the entire movies but 3.33 has strong contenders.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Rebuild 1 and 2 are a weird mish-mash of old and new, but Rebuild 3 feels like it really could've been the spark to launch an entire new series. There's just so much going on and clearly a massive amount of stuff that happened/is happening in the world at large that impacts the whole Eva experience.

Also, is my math right? Is the gap between the series airing, and Rebuild 1 actually shorter then the gap between Rebuild 1 and 4?

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

pentyne posted:

Rebuild 1 and 2 are a weird mish-mash of old and new, but Rebuild 3 feels like it really could've been the spark to launch an entire new series. There's just so much going on and clearly a massive amount of stuff that happened/is happening in the world at large that impacts the whole Eva experience.

Also, is my math right? Is the gap between the series airing, and Rebuild 1 actually shorter then the gap between Rebuild 1 and 4?

yeah, that gap sucked to go through in real time

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

yeah, that gap sucked to go through in real time

It reached the point where people doubted if the fourth one was going to happen at all.

Fortunately Anno made a Godzilla movie, so he felt good enough to finish the series.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
Rebuild 3 was one of the most frustrating movies I had ever seen when it originally came out, but I think 4 really helped contextualize it. The only thing I'm not crazy about is how it ends with yet another impact scene, because it just felt a little redundant from a pacing standpoint. But it made sense thematically and narratively so I can't fault it too much.

I think 3 has some of the most breathtaking apocalyptic imagery I've seen anywhere. That valley full of giant human teeth is something else.

Although I think the apocalyptic imagery in 4, with the village in the bubble, is just really cool. Everything surrounding the village act of the fourth movie is pure magic.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

pentyne posted:

i feel like in younger days Anno would have totally made something like a series or spin off with the world we get in rebuild 3 but at the time we got it he was so done with Evangelion we almost didn't even get the 4th film

oh well

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Regarde Aduck posted:

i feel like in younger days Anno would have totally made something like a series or spin off with the world we get in rebuild 3 but at the time we got it he was so done with Evangelion we almost didn't even get the 4th film

oh well

So, does he actually see much of the $billions$ in merch the series has generated? I've heard the story that the whole thing was originally some tax scheme by the production company and they didn't care if the show tanked and failed, but once it took off it resulted in them getting caught on the tax evasion.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

pentyne posted:

So, does he actually see much of the $billions$ in merch the series has generated? I've heard the story that the whole thing was originally some tax scheme by the production company and they didn't care if the show tanked and failed, but once it took off it resulted in them getting caught on the tax evasion.

Now he does. Khara picked up the rights to Evangelion during the course of the Rebuilds.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
They left all that stuff open for a potential spinoff series i thought

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Jonny 290 posted:

wait wait

on the shin ultraman wiki page

is
is that
what

Midjack posted:

Don't gently caress with me. I need this to be true.

Szmitten posted:

Yeah he did some mocap. We don't know what but I guarantee he did the poses.

https://twitter.com/catsuka/status/1542564834084114435?s=20&t=3qkruiHQfOn50lv0RPGG3w

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

:vince:

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

GOAT

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

pentyne posted:

Japanese remake of the Producers really went in some odd directions!!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I thought the tax evasion was because Eva was a smash hit well beyond anything they had hoped - they were thinking it might be as impactful as Nadia or something. So they started evading taxes. One guy said he was just trying to put something away for the future because who could say that Gainax would ever make something as successful again?

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008

Alright what poo poo do I need to watch to appreciate this when it comes out?

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

BiggestOrangeTree posted:

got you familia

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
Ultraman: Orb sounds nice and orb.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Randallteal posted:

Ultraman: Orb sounds nice and orb.

:orb:

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

pentyne posted:

It definitely drops a ton of stuff that seems borderline unnecessary, like a Vatican treaty allowing each country 3 Evas max while only 5 to this point exist, and then you get all the random non Tokyo-3 stuff like another Nerv base getting nuked, the moon bases, US and Russia's Eva stuff etc. I don't clearly understand the start of the movie, like where it's located and how exactly they expected to imprison an angel.

- During Misato's flashback you see a black moon, plus 4 white halo aliens with lances. Does this refer to the video game that is the sole source of the White Moon//Black Moon aliens that are the precursors to all of Eva

These two points are clearly related. Misato's flashback demonstrates there were four giant, glowing beings at Second Impact. These beings were similar to, or the same thing as, Unit 01 at the climax of the film. The Vatican Treaty demonstrates that the governments of the world are aware that the circumstances of Second Impact involved four Evangelion-like things and hope to forbid it happening again. The logo of the agency even resembles the three-eyed Eva-01.

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Jul 4, 2022

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
Really, the big problem people have with the Rebuilds is that they swapped out the exposition of the original series with inferences and allusions. There's a lot of really cool writing and worldbuilding in the first three, such as the whole of Near Third Impact being told in those details. But then the final film came out and swerved, leading to Gendo's awkward 'here is the mystery' monologue, retcons of motivation and purpose (SEELE), and things that raise far more questions than answers (Mari.) As a meta franchise capstone, it works well but it's not great as a sequel to Rebuild 3.

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Jul 4, 2022

BiggestOrangeTree
May 19, 2008

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

These two points are clearly related. Misato's flashback demonstrates there were four giant, glowing beings at Second Impact. These beings were similar to, or the same thing as, Unit 01 at the climax of the film.

Ah remember when people tried to decipher their designs and figure out what it could mean... and then it turned out it was just an Ultraman reference and had no bearing on anything else in Rebuild

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008
I had a hosed up realisation years ago where the audio sting that accompanies the Khara logo is actually literally just 100% the Ultraman transformation sound.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Ah remember when people tried to decipher their designs and figure out what it could mean... and then it turned out it was just an Ultraman reference and had no bearing on anything else in Rebuild

This is just all of Eva. Why is it in there? Anno thought it looked or sounded cool and cause he liked it. WHAT MEANING IS THERE, lol ultraman

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

The Notorious ZSB posted:

This is just all of Eva. Why is it in there? Anno thought it looked or sounded cool and cause he liked it. WHAT MEANING IS THERE, lol ultraman

One day, we will discover the connection between "Ultraman" and "Drums and Wires". Until then, a unified theory of Evangelion will continue to be beyond our grasp.

Major Operation
Jan 1, 2006

The Notorious ZSB posted:

There's a bit of Space Runaway Ideon: Be Invoked mixed in at the end. But otherwise, yeah, its Ultraman all the way down.

The aesthetics of the shadowy figures over a cloudy/smoky background by during the opening? Guess what:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I75PmJQVxc8&t=20s

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Major Operation posted:

There's a bit of Space Runaway Ideon: Be Invoked mixed in at the end. But otherwise, yeah, its Ultraman all the way down.

The aesthetics of the shadowy figures over a cloudy/smoky background by during the opening? Guess what:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I75PmJQVxc8&t=20s

The one-frame flashes of proper nouns, on the other hand

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Rebuild 4

I had a lot of stuff I was keeping notes on as I watched it, but it's kind of entirely saved by the last 30 minutes managing to land what felt like it would've been impossible before I saw it, something that felt like the definitive final end to Evangelion as a continuing story and franchise.

I keep thinking on how a lot of long running shows/series/media etc. can be retroactively diminished by their endings. Recently Attack on Titan and Game of Thrones come to mind as two things that ended so poorly it caused people to re-evaluate the entire series

Just some quick observations

- Where the gently caress is the infrastructure/cash for the insane amount of mechs being built? WILLE is basically using repurposed navy ships while NERV is apparently fielding literal armies of EVAs.
- The whole Paris thing is them struggling to find spare parts? Where the gently caress is NERV getting all theirs?
- This 100% feels like it could’ve been a 13 episode series, the pacing is wicked fast and significant moments have almost 0 time to let anything land
- Animation gets weird as hell when Asuka starts shoving food down Shinji’s throat, almost jarring because its so different from the rest of the movie
- The whole "Kaji stopped 3rd impact" seems like there's an entire movie missing between 2.0 and 3.0 they wrote and scripted before chucking it to just do the timeskip
- Asuka has an almost throw away line that pilots are ‘designed’ like Rei
- Anti-universe? What?
- 25 years of character shipping and the movie ends with the Shinji and Mari like a massive finger to the fan community for obsessing so much over who loves who

It's honestly a ton of stuff that just feels like "gently caress it, just go with it" for the entire movie and somehow manages to work. Like, nothing is really explained and again the Vatican treaty is mentioned like lol the world is dyed red who cares about treaty violations? It almost seems like necessity that the movie just pushes along presenting the plot and actions it needs to in whatever context works to serve the point of the scenes, and that's really enough by the end.

The ending conversation with Gendo and Ikari is basically 25 years worth of "loving communicate you dweebs" finally happening and clearing the air since the very first "get in the robot" scene. There's so much going on, so much personal stuff that I can't tell if Anno was injecting his own words into the script, getting out his decades of emotional and mental struggle of dealing with life via the massive success and push to continue with Evangelion.

Honestly shocking that something like this franchise could really end on such a final note and feel like it is a good thing.

CHIMlord
Jul 1, 2012

pentyne posted:

Rebuild 4

- The whole "Kaji stopped 3rd impact" seems like there's an entire movie missing between 2.0 and 3.0 they wrote and scripted before chucking it to just do the timeskip

By my understanding, that's more or less correct. Khara started on a version of 3.0 that followed directly after 2.0 (basically what was described in the preview at the end of 2.0), but scrapped it because, among other things, they decided not to make a movie where Shinji didn't appear.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

CHIMlord posted:

By my understanding, that's more or less correct. Khara started on a version of 3.0 that followed directly after 2.0 (basically what was described in the preview at the end of 2.0), but scrapped it because, among other things, they decided not to make a movie where Shinji didn't appear.

When Shinji isn't on screen, people should be asking "where's Shinji?"

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
It's also a convenient out in 8 years when Anno decides "hmm ... maybe I could do another Eva for kicks"

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

FilthyImp posted:

It's also a convenient out in 8 years when Anno decides "hmm ... maybe I could do another Eva for kicks"

For his own sake, I hope he's done.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Midjack posted:

For his own sake, I hope he's done.

He's said he is, at least, and he's moved on to other projects, saying that Eva's open if someone else wants to mess with things. I think he even mentioned that gap as being something that he doesn't want to do anything with (because no Shinji) but that someone else could do something with if they had good ideas.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Ghibli can make Eva 2.1 while Khara does Shin Totoro

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

bees x1000 posted:

Ghibli can make Eva 2.1 while Khara does Shin Totoro

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

just this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DccY2560nW0

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Apparently today was the 25th anniversary of End of Eva first releasing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf1DkBQRQj4