Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

The trouble with those games is if you ever put them down then your brain instantly marks all that insane rpg nonsense for deletion, and when you reinstall its like "so my character blurb murbensterb fights with a flaming weasel and has 19 points in decoupage wtf'

Source: coming back to parhfinder 2 after six months

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
If you get the itch to try Des2ny, go try Warframe instead. It may scratch the same shooty grindy itch, and it's 100% f2p if you want it to.

Just drop by the thread or the discord if you jump in, Warframe has one of the most opaque and sometimes obtuse onboardings in gaming. It's not complicated, just really badly explained. Folks there will answer any questions you may have, get you in of the good dojos and probably dump a bunch of poo poo on you to make the early game way more fun. (I promise this will not break your progression or experience in any way shape or form, just give you more toys to play with and give you a tiny taste of the later game).

unpurposed
Apr 22, 2008
:dukedog:

Fun Shoe

Edmond Dantes posted:

If you get the itch to try Des2ny, go try Warframe instead. It may scratch the same shooty grindy itch, and it's 100% f2p if you want it to.

Just drop by the thread or the discord if you jump in, Warframe has one of the most opaque and sometimes obtuse onboardings in gaming. It's not complicated, just really badly explained. Folks there will answer any questions you may have, get you in of the good dojos and probably dump a bunch of poo poo on you to make the early game way more fun. (I promise this will not break your progression or experience in any way shape or form, just give you more toys to play with and give you a tiny taste of the later game).

I tried Warframe a bit ago and I really loved the aesthetic but definitely got overwhelmed by the number of systems and dropped it. I tend to play games solo so will take your advice and check on the thread!

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

Mozi posted:

Baldur's Gate 1 going RTWP was the original sin of CRPGs.
Eh, those old editions of D&D weren't exactly turn-based. The tabletop system was designed to model real-time combat, so it makes sense that the video game version of it would use real-time combat. The actual gameplay loop was everyone declares their actions -> everyone rolls initiative to figure out who is quickest -> DM resolves the actions. It progressed in rounds (periods of time), not turns. The move to a more board-game like turn-based system came with later editions, so it equally makes sense that BG3, being based on 5e, would switch to a true turn-based system to match.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Not that long ago I went back to Outer Worlds to try out the DLC, since I picked it up ridiculously cheap at some point, and that brought all the disappointment back and then some. One thing that really struck me revisiting the game is that despite the fact that the setting should be pretty active, everything is so static. One of the DLCs takes place at the corporate headquarters of one of the major companies in the setting, with all sorts of warehouses, loading/unloading platforms, and ships; yet everything sits around doing nothing. It all feels so dead, with all the NPCs standing around with their feet nailed to the floor and nothing moving in the game-world except enemies. It's partly a style thing, it doesn't bother me so much in an isometric RPG, but for first-person it just fails at that immersive quality its trying to create. At least the Fallout games are post-apocalyptic, the Outer World setting is one of thriving interplanetary commerce, full of space ships, robots, and trade; yet where nothing moves.

The two DLCs are more of the same as the base game, with the second being profoundly disappointing. The first is a contained "open-world" area to work your way through, with a big moral choice at the end, side with side A or side B, or if your stats are good enough negotiate a happy compromise ending. So like any other section of the main game. The second DLC sets itself up as a murder mystery, with a new clue system, a big corkboard to track all the information you gather, plenty of suspects to investigate, and then the game flushes that all down the toilet. The last section is completely separate from the murder mystery stuff, none of it mattered at all and was just wasting your time until the game figures you've done enough to trigger the ending act. Which contains another patented "moral choice" between A and B, with nothing to do with any of the murder mystery that makes up 75% of the DLC's playtime. It was so close to doing something interesting, but I guess that was too hard.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

unpurposed posted:

I tried Warframe a bit ago and I really loved the aesthetic but definitely got overwhelmed by the number of systems and dropped it. I tend to play games solo so will take your advice and check on the thread!

I mostly play WF solo but some missions are just more tolerable with a squad; good thing is that you can just open up MP for a mission, it'll match you with other people playing it so you do it with randos and not even say hi in chat, then just drop the squad after that, it's not a 'social' game outside of like, goons hanging out in clan chat.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Volte posted:

Eh, those old editions of D&D weren't exactly turn-based. The tabletop system was designed to model real-time combat, so it makes sense that the video game version of it would use real-time combat. The actual gameplay loop was everyone declares their actions -> everyone rolls initiative to figure out who is quickest -> DM resolves the actions. It progressed in rounds (periods of time), not turns. The move to a more board-game like turn-based system came with later editions, so it equally makes sense that BG3, being based on 5e, would switch to a true turn-based system to match.

To be honest the system you're describing is also turn-based, but with phases (declaration, initiative, and resolution).

RTwP as used to describe old D&D crpgs is just a small unit rts. The main issue was that they were kind of bad at it compared to other games that were designed with the full knowledge and intent to actually be small-unit tactical rtses.

That and D&D, mechanically, is basically a tactics game with an overly complex library of special abilities primarily tied to particular character types stapled to make-believe and its designers are allergic to the idea of executing the tactics game part well.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Jack Trades posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZwY9IncC6XI

It's incredibly sad too see Arknae Studios, practically the only studio that was still trying to make immersive sims, be reduced to making schlooter schlock.

Nobody buys immersive sims in quantities that justify their expense. That's the long and short of it. They're beloved by a certain type of people who typically include journalists and critics so the genre punches above its weight in terms of influence and renown (kind of like point and click adventures) but people play one and aren't interested in another.

I'm actually interested in Redfall now that they've made clear it's open world, has an emphasis on story, and isn't just another L4D clone. Open world horde shooter is an interesting combination.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Rebel Blob posted:

Not that long ago I went back to Outer Worlds to try out the DLC, since I picked it up ridiculously cheap at some point, and that brought all the disappointment back and then some. One thing that really struck me revisiting the game is that despite the fact that the setting should be pretty active, everything is so static. One of the DLCs takes place at the corporate headquarters of one of the major companies in the setting, with all sorts of warehouses, loading/unloading platforms, and ships; yet everything sits around doing nothing. It all feels so dead, with all the NPCs standing around with their feet nailed to the floor and nothing moving in the game-world except enemies. It's partly a style thing, it doesn't bother me so much in an isometric RPG, but for first-person it just fails at that immersive quality its trying to create. At least the Fallout games are post-apocalyptic, the Outer World setting is one of thriving interplanetary commerce, full of space ships, robots, and trade; yet where nothing moves.

The two DLCs are more of the same as the base game, with the second being profoundly disappointing. The first is a contained "open-world" area to work your way through, with a big moral choice at the end, side with side A or side B, or if your stats are good enough negotiate a happy compromise ending. So like any other section of the main game. The second DLC sets itself up as a murder mystery, with a new clue system, a big corkboard to track all the information you gather, plenty of suspects to investigate, and then the game flushes that all down the toilet. The last section is completely separate from the murder mystery stuff, none of it mattered at all and was just wasting your time until the game figures you've done enough to trigger the ending act. Which contains another patented "moral choice" between A and B, with nothing to do with any of the murder mystery that makes up 75% of the DLC's playtime. It was so close to doing something interesting, but I guess that was too hard.

Yeah, the game has some mechanical downfalls like the static world and boring weapons. But really it's the writing that let's it down the most. Just really really poor writing where everything gets boiled down to choose A or B and the choice isn't even an interesting moral question or anything. It's like somebody wrote 'choice in quests' on a chalkboard to start the design doc and then kept it in the most simple basic form.

E: also RTwP is trash and I'm glad it's been getting replaced lately.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I kinda figured immersive sims would continue because it seems like the type of gsme whose main fanbase includes game designers

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I kinda figured immersive sims would continue because it seems like the type of gsme whose main fanbase includes game designers

It's very hard to make an indie immersive sim. Large amounts of art required, an intensive level design process and a reliance on physics make it expensive.

The closest I've seen are Thief mods and clones.

edit: look at this list https://www.reddit.com/r/ImmersiveSim/comments/rbb4kc/a_summary_of_indie_immersive_sim_listing/ indie immersive sims all share a common trait of dialling the aesthetics/production values way down

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Jun 30, 2022

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

im pretty sure immersive sims are gonna be stuck on an endless cycle of

zero games for years -> new wave of game devs who loved immersive sims when they were younger get the opportunity to make their own -> a bunch release within months/years of each other to critical acclaim and dogshit sales -> game devs go bankrupt or assigned to other games -> repeat

thats my prediction at least

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

The Pillars games made me like RTwP

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

unpurposed posted:

yeah we love helping noobs figure out this dumb clusterfuck of a game. come say hi.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Started playing Spiritfarer and man does that game have some style. Also I’m 100% sure it will make me cry.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Anno posted:

Started playing Spiritfarer and man does that game have some style. Also I’m 100% sure it will make me cry.

There were at least two or three spots in Spiritfarer that absolutely wrecked me for a bit. If any of these characters remind you of people you know, buckle up.

It's not a game I think I can play again, like how I doubt I can rewatch DS9's "The Visitor" any time soon, but it's absolutely one of the best games to come out that year.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Agent355 posted:

Yeah, the game has some mechanical downfalls like the static world and boring weapons. But really it's the writing that let's it down the most. Just really really poor writing where everything gets boiled down to choose A or B and the choice isn't even an interesting moral question or anything. It's like somebody wrote 'choice in quests' on a chalkboard to start the design doc and then kept it in the most simple basic form.

E: also RTwP is trash and I'm glad it's been getting replaced lately.

being able to drag select your guys and just point them at an easy encounter and smile benignly as they gelatinize whatever it was is p fun though.

Grey Face
Mar 31, 2017
Crossposting from the recommend me a game thread because this one is more active:

quote:

Looking for more games to hit the infinite grind/upgrade itch like Siralim Ultimate. I know Disgaea is the classic for this but my anime tolerance is very low.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Grey Face posted:

Crossposting from the recommend me a game thread because this one is more active:

Low Magic Age might be a good option. Battle to your heart's content in this sandbox tactical RPG.

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?
Recently starting playing Sekiro (yes I know, very late to the party, but that's how I live, generations behind) and I was kind of curious about the ideal playstyle for this. I know, I know, play however you like, but I'm here because I feel like I'm running into my old habits of ruining the game for myself and was curious what other people's experiences were.

Basically, I'm kind of torn between the stealth/combat dynamic: part of me really wants to be slick and stealthy, going past everyone and only killing when absolutely necessary, keeping the momentum up. However, when I notice that the only way to get experience points to unlock skills and such is to kill people, then I feel like I can't leave anyone behind and have to kill the whole village to get max rewards as I make it to the end goal. Killing people is ok as I enjoy the combat, but it kind of feels like I shouldn't because I'm a shinobi: why would I be standing mano-a-mano and parrying them like a samurai? Then again, stealth also seems really difficult to do, so maybe it's not intended, though maybe I'm just missing a stealth skill unlock to hide better/reduce visibility. I dunno, it's this kind of weird case of systems pulling in two different directions, like with Deus Ex and Dishonored rewarding boring playstyles with exp/better endings and other such games that confuses me sometimes.

So with that, I'm wondering how other people play it: maybe you do a full killing run the first time since it lets you find items easier, then do stealth and ignore people on repeat boss runs? Maybe it isn't even necessary to explore as the items are just minor potions and buffs which you can just buy, so maybe it's fine to bee-line it straight for the end goal instead of meticulously scavenging and getting into fights doing so? Maybe I should play it with 'panther' style gameplay, where I try and stealth as much as I can, but don't be a perfectionist, just be speedy and aggressive in my stealth, using it as an opener for fights instead of avoiding fights. Oh yeah, and is there any penalty for the resurrection mechanic?

FutureCop fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jul 1, 2022

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

FutureCop posted:

Recently starting playing Sekiro (yes I know, very late to the party, but that's how I live, generations behind) and I was kind of curious about the ideal playstyle for this. I know, I know, play however you like, but I'm here because I feel like I'm running into my old habits of ruining the game for myself and was curious what other people's experiences were.

Basically, I'm kind of torn between the stealth/combat dynamic: part of me really wants to be slick and stealthy, going past everyone and only killing when absolutely necessary, keeping the momentum up. However, when I notice that the only way to get experience points to unlock skills and such is to kill people, then I feel like I can't leave anyone behind and have to kill the whole village to get max rewards as I make it to the end goal. Killing people is ok as I enjoy the combat, but it kind of feels like I shouldn't because I'm a shinobi: why would I be standing mano-a-mano and parrying them like a samurai? Then again, stealth also seems really difficult to do, so maybe it's not intended, though maybe I'm just missing a stealth skill unlock to hide better/reduce visibility. I dunno, it's this kind of weird case of systems pulling in two different directions, like with Deus Ex and Dishonored rewarding boring playstyles with exp/better endings and other such games that confuses me sometimes.

So with that, I'm wondering how other people play it: maybe you do a full killing run the first time since it lets you find items easier, then do stealth and ignore people on repeat boss runs? Maybe it isn't even necessary to explore as the items are just minor potions and buffs which you can just buy, so maybe it's fine to bee-line it straight for the end goal instead of meticulously scavenging and getting into fights doing so? Maybe I should play it with 'panther' style gameplay, where I try and stealth as much as I can, but don't be a perfectionist, just be speedy and aggressive in my stealth, using it as an opener for fights instead of avoiding fights. Oh yeah, and is there any penalty for the resurrection mechanic?

You're on the right track. It's about 90/10 action/stealth. Go for stealth if it grants you a free opening kill or better positioning but the game is primarily about getting into open fights and learning the parry system.

Death does have an over-arching penalty (dialogue with NPCs is halted until cured) but it takes a LOT of deaths to even kick in, is easily cured immediately with an item, and the item in question is infinitely buyable in shops. Nothing to worry about.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Stealth can help out with some of the tougher enemies since you can usually get one of their healthbars down if you manage to sneak up to them.

My usual approach is stealth scout around and clear out stragglers when entering a new area, go into combat when spotted, and just ignore the enemies I can for the most part when running through an area to get to a boss.

You lose half your (current level's) xp and half your money when you die and return to an idol (not for rezzing in place), so you can just go on a small killing spree if you're super close to getting another level. It's also a good idea to buy all coin purses you can at merchants, it's a way of 'banking' your money.

Enough rezzing will trigger Dragonrot in NPCs but it is completely inconsequential and you can just ignore it, you can clear it out quite easily later on and it may only delay some npc questlines a bit, but don't get paranoid about dying.

Don't think about Shinobi as 'master of stealth' but more as 'will use every tool at his disposal to get the job done'. Stealth is another tool in your belt. Use and abuse your shinobi tools, run and grapple away if poo poo goes south, ambush an enemy from a wall hug.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Grey Face posted:

Check out Tactical Nexus:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1141290/Tactical_Nexus/

Thread:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3920507

You can get absurdly high numbers of stat boosters over many, many, many runs and optimisations.

juicefest
Jun 12, 2022

FutureCop posted:

You're thinking too much about it. The stealth is just a tool like any other, one which you can use to avoid enemies entirely if you're just trying to get somewhere, to lose aggro if you pull too many enemies at once, or to knock a healthbar off a mini-boss by getting in a stealth attack.

The way I played is each new area I cleared out the normal enemies, avoiding mini-bosses and picking up all the items, and then when I went for the bosses I just ran past enemies or found the stealthy way around them.

The boss fights, to me at least, are the actual game and the stealth doesn't matter at all there except for making mini-bosses easier.

juicefest fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jul 1, 2022

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Combat has pretty much always been the worst part of every isometric CRPG I've played, and the thing that makes revisiting them so difficult.

I loved playing through Fallout 1 and 2 back in the day, but these days I just do not have time for their slow, tedious combat. As much as I knock on Todd Howard and Bethesda, "They turned it into a shooter!" was actually an improvement, and I'm not a big fan of shooters either.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Bad Seafood posted:

As much as I knock on Todd Howard and Bethesda, "They turned it into a shooter!" was actually an improvement.
No, it was not.

It's okay if you just don't like the genre or turn-based combat of the series. FO3 was a gigantic (but expected) disappointment to the people that actually do.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

It's arguable that wasn't because it turned into an fps though.

Like I for sure absolutely loathe todd howard and the bethesda Fallouts, but New Vegas does prove that you can have that combat and still have the soul of Fallout.

FO3/4 just don't.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I'll never claim that it was particularly deep or interesting but I actually kinda like Fallout combat once you get past the early bits where nobody can hit anyone

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It feels pretty good once you get a build going. The Early game in 1 and 2 if you tag something like Energy Weapons is pretty awful on your first run though, I ended up dipping into unarmed just to stop from getting owned constantly. Large settlements though are pretty bad with the combat, it just takes too long to move the pieces around.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

FutureCop posted:

Maybe I should play it with 'panther' style gameplay, where I try and stealth as much as I can, but don't be a perfectionist, just be speedy and aggressive in my stealth, using it as an opener for fights instead of avoiding fights. Oh yeah, and is there any penalty for the resurrection mechanic?

That sounds about right; stealth in Sekiro is more an opportunity to create ideal openings and start fights on your own terms, not usually a means of avoiding fights. Even though the stealth system is extremely simplistic and the structure is pretty linear I feel like the gameplay idea behind its stealth is to give you a bunch of different permutations on how you start any given fight. The game definitely has Souls DNA and there will be fights you attempt many many times and die, but now you can choose one enemy to pick off before the fight starts and you can begin it in any position you want to.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

a couple more games got added to the dreadxp itch bundle that couldn't be further apart: Calico the fluffy cat cafe life sim, and Puppet Combo horror game The Glass Staircase

also Evan's Remains, and Sylvio 1 & 2

it's definitely a smaller bundle than the past big ones ('only' 165 submissions rather than 700+), and it's more horror-themed for sure overall. there's no real headliner game in this one like Celeste. but if you like retro PS1-lookin games, this will be a solid bundle for you: Lost in Vivo, The Glass Staircase, Night of the Consumers, Sagebrush, Fatum Betula, Blood Wash, Pigsaw, Axis Mundi, Mummy Sandbox, Location Withheld, After Hours, Black Relic.

if you just want games you may possibly have heard of: Calico, Evan's Remains, Copy Kitty, Aground, Spookware, Spooky Ghosts Dot Com, SJ-19 Learns to Love. yeah like i said it's not a crazy ridiculous bundle like the past ones. they're still taking submissions for the next 12-ish hours so maybe some interesting stuff will sneak in right before the bundle launch.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 05:38 on Jul 1, 2022

Left 4 Bread
Oct 4, 2021

i sleep

goferchan posted:

That sounds about right; stealth in Sekiro is more an opportunity to create ideal openings and start fights on your own terms, not usually a means of avoiding fights. Even though the stealth system is extremely simplistic and the structure is pretty linear I feel like the gameplay idea behind its stealth is to give you a bunch of different permutations on how you start any given fight. The game definitely has Souls DNA and there will be fights you attempt many many times and die, but now you can choose one enemy to pick off before the fight starts and you can begin it in any position you want to.

In Sekiro you're not really a ninja, just more a guy who's real good with a sword but not afraid to fight without honor, yeah. Stealth is mostly only relevant for some minibosses and general travel encounters, bosses are almost universally melee duels of attrition.

...Then again, I was never very good at Sekiro

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.

The Joe Man posted:

No, it was not.

It's okay if you just don't like the genre or turn-based combat of the series. FO3 was a gigantic (but expected) disappointment to the people that actually do.
While we can disagree on this point, don't misunderstand me: I still don't like Fallout 3's combat, nor do I like Fallout 3. I actually agree with you. Fallout 3 was, in all other respects, a huge disappointment. I vastly prefer Fallout 1 and 2 (and New Vegas) over anything Bethesda's churned out of their open world factory, and combat is only one of many things to do in those games.

But when that combat takes forever, like when you out the local militia in that one town and every single guard in the city turns against you, and you need to wait for every single guard and civilian to take their turn before you can, on your old computer, combat became a thing I tried to avoid, and when I couldn't avoid it, grit my teeth and try to escape. By contrast, combat in something like New Vegas is over relatively quickly. I wouldn't call it deep, but it's over in a jiffy, and I can get back to the other stuff I enjoy.

We can keep talking about this if you'd like, if you want to elaborate on some facet of the combat you think I don't appreciate, or if you think my hardware did me a disservice (entirely possible), my blood just ran cold at the thought someone mistook me for a Fallout 3 fan.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

Grey Face posted:

Battle Brothers is a really obvious recommendation.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
FO3 was pants, but it did have the redeeming factor of pulling out a minigun and burning through an uneconomical amount of ammo felt such a badass moment. Some guns/gunfeel worked much better in realtime.

I'll second the notion that combat in FO1/2 sucked more often that it didn't. It was great getting your first metal armour and seeing how smallarms bounced off it due to mechanics, and/or stacking crazy things like getting pistol shots down to 2action points, but the novelty wore off fast and you where left with an unplayably slow mess half the time unscripted combat began.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Is Chernobylite any good? The sale's plugging it to me.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

The Lone Badger posted:

Is Chernobylite any good? The sale's plugging it to me.

It's very story driven and if you go into it expecting a a stalker game you'll be disappointed. There are "levels" and each level is supposedly mapped after the real world place.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

This looks cute. Makes me wonder, was there even a Milo & Otis video game?

https://twitter.com/BlancTheGame/status/1541768376971845634

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1982340/Blanc

Anno fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Jul 1, 2022

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Anno posted:

This looks cute. Makes me wonder, was there even a Milo & Otis video game?

There was actually, Koneko Monogatari on Famicom. It never came across to the west like the movie did though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
I think UBISoft made a game where you yeet cats off a waterfall. Close enough.