Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Desdinova
Dec 16, 2004
I had to be on my toes, like a midget at a urinal!
Yeah, it's Reddit, didn't see this posted a while ago, was expecting someone else to post it:

https://www.reddit.com/r/DiscoElysium/comments/vhc960/why_was_the_collapsing_tenement_case_ever_cut/

Fits well into the world though as comments there point out it's a biiiiiiiiiiggggg nod to a Russian film, though most people wouldn't have heard of it (source: Me and people I've met haven't afaik) so I'd have left it in the game.

Still, well worth a quick read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
jesus harold christ, that's bleak

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

They must have cut that really late, one of the comments links to this blog post where you can play the audio narration of that bit

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
Beat this game 2 weeks ago and I haven't really felt like playing any others since. Probably time to just do another run.

I really liked the Thoughts system, and the writing in general. I hope there's a book someday, or even just an expansion on it on a wiki or something. I don't know what exactly White Mourning means, but I think I'm doing it also and I'd like to know more.

ETA: I would pay for a Thoughts DLC if they had a Scouse Cop thought and started talking like Cuno all the time.

skooma512 fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jul 1, 2022

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Desdinova posted:

Yeah, it's Reddit, didn't see this posted a while ago, was expecting someone else to post it:

https://www.reddit.com/r/DiscoElysium/comments/vhc960/why_was_the_collapsing_tenement_case_ever_cut/

Fits well into the world though as comments there point out it's a biiiiiiiiiiggggg nod to a Russian film, though most people wouldn't have heard of it (source: Me and people I've met haven't afaik) so I'd have left it in the game.

Holy poo poo that's great/bleak. When even Half Light seems dejected...

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
good thing that's not a haunting metaphor for like a billion loving things or i might be feeling *sad*

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Desdinova posted:

Rhetoric [Legendary: Success] You should post a thread about the crack and impending collapse on CSPAM.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Rhetoric [Legendary: Success] You should post a thread about the crack and impending collapse on CSPAM.

ELECTROCHEMISTRY [Godly: Success] Did someone say *crack*?

Desdinova
Dec 16, 2004
I had to be on my toes, like a midget at a urinal!

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Looking to buy to rent? Invest now in this ~*unique*~ building for long term profits! Only a few flats left!
:gonk:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Desdinova posted:

Only a few flats left!
:gonk:

soon to be a lot more in residence

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Oxxidation posted:

soon to be a lot more in residence

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

I had major shock this morning. Disco Elysium had an update to add a dyslexia-friendly font to the game. I thought "Huh I wonder what that looks like?" and played through the first part of the Whirling In Rags.

I found out today that I have dyslexia.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Entorwellian posted:

I had major shock this morning. Disco Elysium had an update to add a dyslexia-friendly font to the game. I thought "Huh I wonder what that looks like?" and played through the first part of the Whirling In Rags.

LMAO

.....grats, I guess.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Entorwellian posted:

That's actually really interesting, how did you know? Was it just way easier to read?

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Sample of the font for those curious:

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

sebmojo posted:

That's actually really interesting, how did you know? Was it just way easier to read?

Yeah. I could read the regular font but there were parts where it felt like my brain was going faster than my eye-coordination to read the text. Often times I would have to re-read things multiple times and slow down. Sometimes it'd kind of go fuzzy and I'd get a headache and fatigued from too much reading. And now that I'm noticing it, even the default text for the forums here does the same thing.

The new text though is super easy on the eyes and I have no problems parsing it. It's zero effort.

Entorwellian fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jul 1, 2022

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

I can speed read. Holy gently caress!!!

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Go download opendyslexia and install it into your browser to override website font choices.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Entorwellian posted:

Yeah. I could read the regular font but there were parts where it felt like my brain was going faster than my eye-coordination to read the text. Often times I would have to re-read things multiple times and slow down. Sometimes it'd kind of go fuzzy and I'd get a headache and fatigued from too much reading. And now that I'm noticing it, even the default text for the forums here does the same thing.

The new text though is super easy on the eyes and I have no problems parsing it. It's zero effort.

If you can set the forums to use a custom font, I suggest trying Helvetica, Courier, Verdana, or Ariel. Those are the ones that come standard with most OS options, and have shown the highest readability for dyslexics. Generally the font traits that show the most readability have some combination of three traits: Sans serif, monospaced, Roman. Comic Sans also seems to work for some people.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Oh huh, turns out it's a default setting in the Kindle reader app and Kindle itself, or at least my insanely old one I refuse to get rid of because this has buttons and each generation is a tiny change from the last. Time to find out if my preference for audiobooks isn't just inherent laziness

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Gaius Marius posted:

Go download opendyslexia and install it into your browser to override website font choices.

AngryRobotsInc posted:

If you can set the forums to use a custom font, I suggest trying Helvetica, Courier, Verdana, or Ariel. Those are the ones that come standard with most OS options, and have shown the highest readability for dyslexics. Generally the font traits that show the most readability have some combination of three traits: Sans serif, monospaced, Roman. Comic Sans also seems to work for some people.

Thanks for both recommendations. I am now using a combination of OpenDyslexia and the Font Overwrite add-on in tandem.
It's doing some weird perceptual things when I look at it out of focus but it's incredibly easy to parse.

I can't loving believe this.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Entorwellian posted:

And people claim this game isn't life-changing!

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Entorwellian posted:

Thanks for both recommendations. I am now using a combination of OpenDyslexia and the Font Overwrite add-on in tandem.
It's doing some weird perceptual things when I look at it out of focus but it's incredibly easy to parse.

that's extremely rad and cool :stoked:

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Entorwellian posted:

Whatever you do, just make sure you don't think about how you could've maybe done a lot better in school and all the opportunities you might have lost over your life to date because of this.

staplegun
Sep 21, 2003

you should post that to the devs on twitter, I feel like that'd be a pretty cool thing to learn they helped with.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Orange Devil posted:

Whatever you do, just make sure you don't think about how you could've maybe done a lot better in school and all the opportunities you might have lost over your life to date because of this.

Cool thing to post bud

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

staplegun posted:

you should post that to the devs on twitter, I feel like that'd be a pretty cool thing to learn they helped with.

I don't have twitter but I shot an email off to them.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Orange Devil posted:

Which skill said this?

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

christmas boots posted:

Which skill said this?

Volition [Medium: Failure]

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

I'm not trying to be *that guy*, and I certainly don't want to detract from you finding something that's obviously going to make your life a lot better, but dyslexia-friendly fonts are easier for most people to read and often don't help very much for people with actual dyslexia. I say this as a teacher with lots of experience working with kids who have dyslexia. I wish something as simple as using a specially designed font would make a big difference for them, but the evidence is pretty slim and I've never worked with someone who found them very helpful.

I'm also not saying you don't have dyslexia, just saying that the fact these fonts make stuff a lot easier to read doesn't mean you do have dyslexia.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

bike tory posted:

I'm not trying to be *that guy*, and I certainly don't want to detract from you finding something that's obviously going to make your life a lot better, but dyslexia-friendly fonts are easier for most people to read and often don't help very much for people with actual dyslexia. I say this as a teacher with lots of experience working with kids who have dyslexia. I wish something as simple as using a specially designed font would make a big difference for them, but the evidence is pretty slim and I've never worked with someone who found them very helpful.

I'm also not saying you don't have dyslexia, just saying that the fact these fonts make stuff a lot easier to read doesn't mean you do have dyslexia.

Yeah it may not be dyslexia but it's definitely something going on, perception-wise. This font has made reading things way faster.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

That's really cool :) it might be worth you pursuing some sort of formal diagnosis, because there are probably other things that could improve your life too

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
Hell even if it isn't a formal diagnosis making stuff easier to read is always worthwhile.i got into the habit of writing stuff up in comic sans just because it made it easier.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

bike tory posted:

i don't know, the screenshot that was posted literally looks like a super low resolution picture to me at first glance, it's definitely not easier for me. that's not to say you aren't right, i'd just never seen a font meant to be more readable for people with dyslexia before and i can see how it would be easier for people with it to read, if normal text looked like that to people with dyslexia, etc.

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe
Every time I've read anything using that open dyslexic font it actively slows me down, but yeah I'm no brain knower. Regardless of specific diagnoses it owns extremely hard that you've found something that improves your quality of life so much :)

Also, now I've got my steam deck I tried going back to the old save I got furthest in, but it's been so long I've forgotten most of what specifically happened. Oh well, playing from the beginning again is hardly an imposition.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

bop bop perano posted:

i don't know, the screenshot that was posted literally looks like a super low resolution picture to me at first glance, it's definitely not easier for me. that's not to say you aren't right, i'd just never seen a font meant to be more readable for people with dyslexia before and i can see how it would be easier for people with it to read, if normal text looked like that to people with dyslexia, etc.

Yeah the text isnt bold enough for the dark red on black to stand out well. You'd usually use black text on a cream or soft pastel background for someone with dyslexia.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I definitely don't have dyslexia because that font makes me feel like I'm stumbling trying to read it

moosferatu
Jan 29, 2020

quote:

My own education in researching dyslexia font has lead me to the conclusion that fonts really don't matter much, so long as they are clean (sans serif) and have generous spacing between letters and words, but this is as true for dyslexics as efficient readers.

But by all means experiment with different fonts. Some people have been literally brought to tears by the freedom a new font provided but these are anecdotal accounts and probably exceptional circumstances.

There is no hard research demonstrating improved reading speed or comprehension for dyslexics from any font.

https://www.dyslexia-reading-well.com/dyslexia-font.html

I have never had a formal diagnosis, but do seem to exhibit some dyslexic traits, and I do not like that OpenDyslexic font at all. But, I guess everyone is different.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Dyslexia is also more of a spectrum, like with the autism spectrum disorders, rather than one hard and fast thing. Some things that help one person may not help another, or might help in different ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
This makes me wonder if a large percentage of the population being dyslexic to some degree or another accounts for the baffling popularity of Comic Sans since I've heard it's very dyslexia friendly