Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

So which team has the least ethics and will sign Miles and try to avoid a long long rear end suspension?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Look just sign him to a short term deal, and hope he doesn't go to jail until after the playoffs

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

https://twitter.com/MilesBridges/status/1514419477227708422

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
If the commission bans a player is that contract still valid?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Does the NBA have a precedent for dealing with DV cases? I can't think of any high profile ones like with the NFL. But there are way more NFL players than NBA players.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

IcePhoenix posted:

You could argue that this is just as much because of Gobert as it is Mitchell
I think it’s far moreso because of Gobert. He’s the special talent. I feel like a Mitchell-led Jazz team doesn’t look too different from the Beal Wizards.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1543366848225624064

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Henchman of Santa posted:

Does the NBA have a precedent for dealing with DV cases? I can't think of any high profile ones like with the NFL. But there are way more NFL players than NBA players.

Malik Beasley had a 12 game suspension for a threats of domestic violence charge that he pled guilty to. So I assume that Miles Bridges will be getting at least double that because he actually followed through on the thread

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dejan Bimble posted:

Malik Beasley had a 12 game suspension for a threats of domestic violence charge that he pled guilty to. So I assume that Miles Bridges will be getting at least double that because he actually followed through on the thread

It feels like this is going to be the equivalent of Malice at the Palace, but for DV, and set the policy going forward.

I mean the NBA is pretty unique in that it also operates the WNBA, they really don’t want the optics I would think ignoring blatant DV.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Suspending him for a year seems likely. The players association is going bat for this guy.

Edit: a year is probably enough for a trial and jail time.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

The difference is he's not under contract.

No team is going to sign him until he makes it go away(pays the lady a large sum of money to not testify in the criminal trial.)

My guess is once he makes it go away he will sign a 1-2 year non-guaranteed deal somewhere, while people are initially outraged, and then it turns into a redemption arc.

"He's overcome such trials and tribulations, some bad and dark personal moments, but look at him now, playing basketball well." - Some loving dolt on ESPN

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Marshal Prolapse posted:

It feels like this is going to be the equivalent of Malice at the Palace, but for DV, and set the policy going forward.

I mean the NBA is pretty unique in that it also operates the WNBA, they really don’t want the optics I would think ignoring blatant DV.

lmao do you remember "kobe bryant"

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dexo posted:

The difference is he's not under contract.

No team is going to sign him until he makes it go away(pays the lady a large sum of money to not testify in the criminal trial.)

My guess is once he makes it go away he will sign a 1-2 year non-guaranteed deal somewhere, while people are initially outraged, and then it turns into a redemption arc.

"He's overcome such trials and tribulations, some bad and dark personal moments, but look at him now, playing basketball well." - Some loving dolt on ESPN

Remember how Mark Cuban was the only person who didn’t want to force a sale of the Clippers from Sterling?

Edit: I am going to argue that the Kobe approach probably won’t work anymore for the NBA.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

The pictures and videos of the kid make way more real for everyone imo

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

R.D. Mangles posted:

lmao do you remember "kobe bryant"

Rape is a bit of a different thing(once again barring video or images) as it's more of a He said/she said thing, after the fact.

I want to be clear, gently caress Kobe Bryant, he raped that lady. This isn't me doing anything more than analyzing a situation.

But it's easier for team execs to do that when the framing has been "oh she was into it and then wasn't and then she claimed rape.

vs.

Oh, the police were called, and there are pictures of the aftermath the same night.

The only real defense someone has against that is, either denying they were the ones who did it or claiming self defense, but considering their kid saw it and posted about it, good luck with that.

His only real way out of getting jail time is by making her a monetary offer that it would be almost impossible to turn down. I really hope an NBA team doesn't give him a poo poo ton of money to make it easier to avoid justice.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

https://twitter.com/ChrisBHaynes/status/1543378879099703297

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

eyes emoji

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
gonna be reeeeeeeally hard for me not to root for Lebron Kyrie should it happen again

but that just gives me another team to root for so i still got my main (Cavs obvs) and several backups

as long as i never have to hope Boston wins ever again eugh

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Marshal Prolapse posted:

So which team has the least ethics and will sign Miles and try to avoid a long long rear end suspension?

Knicks?

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

This should auto trigger a reversal of the Harden/Simmons trade. Although a Westbrook -Simmoms backcourt would be a treat.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I'm already steeling myself for the Lakers signing Miles Bridges.

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.
https://twitter.com/meyerNBA/status/1543004882952675330

https://twitter.com/JeauxVaughn/status/1543278802176208896

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Britney Griner and Glory Johnson were suspended 7 games for DV in 2015, which was about 20% of the WNBA season.

creamcorn
Oct 26, 2007

automatic gun for fast, continuous firing
the L names aren't lavar being an egomaniac (for once), it's a family tradition.

LaVar's brothers are LaFrance, LaValle, LaRenzo, and LaShon Ball.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

lmao

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

my sources tell me the bulls are expected to be "very aggressive" to go after wing shooter Denzel Valentine

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

remembering this classic Boylen Moment

quote:

LaVine’s relationship with Jim Boylen has come a long way since last December, and it certainly shines through in his conversation with Lowe. He mentioned that while Boylen may do his fair share of “quirky” things, it’s all because he “genuinely cares” for his players. Some of those quirky practices sound like they work just fine for LaVine though, who mentions one nickname Boylen has for him thanks to the film Men in Black.

“What I do like about that [showing the clip] is he keeps calling me a Cephalapoid,” LaVine said. The Alien from the movie is one with quick feet and pretty legit leaping ability, and when Lowe asks whether the character’s a “good guy,” LaVine’s answer is pretty funny: “No, they’re trying to take over the world, so I guess they’re bad people. I’m trying to take over the NBA, so you know.”

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Westbrook woukd murder Simmons

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Wow, shocking :barf:

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

thats what I like about the NBA, wild rumors of trades become willed into existence

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

Traded for cash considerations, apparently. You know poo poo's getting real when Sarver is trading away his favorite players.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

chilihead posted:

You could argue. We are about to find out.

Edit. this sounds worse then i meant. What i really mean is more on the Gobert side. If he really effects defense that much i can't wait to watch the Wolves. I think it probably will in the regular season. I actually really believe in Ant and think this might elevate KAT.

Honestly it elevates KAT just by removing some of the dumb fouls he sometimes gets so he stays on the floor longer.

If anyone missed this story it's absolutely wild btw. Basically the Republicans in the state senate (which they control) didn't read everything in a bill they were approving and part of it legalized edibles, and since the state house is Dem controlled and the Gov is a Dem who openly supports legalization the GQP can do gently caress all about trying to walk it back because it will never pass.

https://twitter.com/_cingraham/status/1542993861122953216

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

I didn’t really understand all the hand wringing about they nets not wanting to take Westbrook back… their teams dead in the water without KD and if you can get literally anything of value from the lakers then it seems like a no brainer.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

here's a weird thought experiment: without taking contracts into consideration but in terms of Pure Hooping, would you rather have russell westbrook or derrick rose in 2022-23.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Derrick rose, without even a slight doubt

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

The Phoenix Suns are trading for Australian jock, Ben Simmons.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Paul Zuvella posted:

I didn’t really understand all the hand wringing about they nets not wanting to take Westbrook back… their teams dead in the water without KD and if you can get literally anything of value from the lakers then it seems like a no brainer.

That’s actually what confused me, what can they get of value from the lakers. That well is pretty dry

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

maybe this is better as a Zogopoll question but how many games do we all think the famous Rogue Basketball Man Benjamin "Ben" Simmons will play in the national basketball association next season.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

CharlestheHammer posted:

That’s actually what confused me, what can they get of value from the lakers. That well is pretty dry

50 million in salary relief next season is probably the big thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

CharlestheHammer posted:

A 2029 first rounder