Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I hate that it’s impossible to talk about Blizzard without bringing up a bunch of bullshit, but I just saw this story about Overwatch 2 that I found kind of uplifting, it gives me hope that the devs working there today might bring a brighter future to the company.

https://twitter.com/cleartogether/status/1542017489667629057?s=21&t=i76U2B0kpiH1QRi69_e6aw

It’s important to remember, like with CD ProjektRed, the upper management and executives and directors are the shitbags, the actual devs, the people making the games, are typically only the victims of abuse, not the perpetrators, and i want to be able to celebrate when a member of their team puts in the work to do something like this, even if their boss is a completely hosed up nut job

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

The LIQUOR BOTTLES are out in full force.
MOM is surely nearby.

Analytic Engine posted:

Zach went on to make his awesome turbonerd games and teach highschool CS, but he's public that losing billions of $ to Notch depressed the hell out of him. We chatted for a minute after his talk at the NYU Game Center (an actual MFA & PhD for games), and he's definitely more of game engineer/laborer than indie Artists like Jon Blow. 8 years = tons of games, vs 1 The Witness. Miegakure (funded by Blow's charity for Art games) was old *then*, and is still being polished or something today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__Nq2vNcpIo

Jonathan Blow was one of the inaugural class of speakers at NYU Game Center, like two weeks after Richard Garfield

He spent the entire loving time making a ridiculous argument about world of warcraft, equating it to an industrial factory pumping toxic waste into the river of gaming

Garfield was cool as hell, though

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
Ubi giving their customers what they deserve for buying from them in the first place:

https://www.ubisoft.com/en-gb/help/gameplay/article/decommissioning-of-online-services-september-2022/000102396

It's mostly:

quote:

You will be unable to play multiplayer, link Ubisoft accounts in-game or use online features.

Which someone says could heavily affect Anno 2070 as a critical functionality (the Ark) is apparently an online thingie for some mad reason.

But even better, for some games, there's also:

quote:

Additionally, the installation and access to DLC will be unavailable.

Checkmate, customers.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

There honestly needs to be laws in place requiring single player games with online-enabled elements to have sunsetting code in place for when online services are switched off.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

How the hell are they taking away the DLC too :wtc:

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

UnknownMercenary posted:

I suspect it's going to be like what happened to Might and Magic X briefly (and I'm shocked it wasn't re-added to this list...) - servers were offline so nothing could ever phone home to verify you owned it, therefore it was going to lock you out in lieu of the handshake.

edit: oh that's why it isn't back on this list, their fix for that game wasn't to restore servers, but instead patch the game to make it function and give people the DLC for free while they were at it.

claw game handjob fucked around with this message at 19:45 on Jul 2, 2022

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

UnknownMercenary posted:

It's "installation and access to DLC", meaning that if you own the DLC but haven't installed it yet for some reason, you might want to do it before September. And make an archive of the folder since installation won't be an option afterwards.

edit: fair enough, I might be misreading it and maybe they just mean "installation of DLC and access to DLC", which is still pretty scummy but they've tried to pull that one before with MMX as mentioned above. My original reading was that installation of the game was part of the discontinued features. I wouldn't put it past them.

FishMcCool fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jul 2, 2022

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Feeling pretty good right now about just reinstalling Anno 1404 every time a new one came out. Kinda sad though, by all reports Anno 1800 is the best one yet and it too will eventually be scrubbed off the internet.

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

Booky posted:

why does an admin have a kiwifarms link at the ready??

like serious question wtf

It's an indictment of both sites that resetera is opaque about their moderation and somehow still doesn't have a public banlist despite being bigger than the SA forums. So it's lovely that people get funneled to kiwifarms because out of pure spite for the staff they're the only ones maintaining a banlist.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Sorry everyone, Stormfront was just the first link google gave me!

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
On the one hand one site constantly doxxes people for being too gay online on the other hand one site doesn't publicly announce bans so it's impossible to say which site is worse or not

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Why would you ever think a site whose primary purpose is to harass people is a trustworthy source?

je1 healthcare
Sep 29, 2015

Feels Villeneuve posted:

On the one hand one site constantly doxxes people for being too gay online on the other hand one site doesn't publicly announce bans so it's impossible to say which site is worse or not

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply they were equivalent. Just that it would be nice if unknowing people weren't constantly directed to a bigoted helldump forum as a result of a technical shortcoming.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

FishMcCool posted:

Ubi giving their customers what they deserve for buying from them in the first place:

https://www.ubisoft.com/en-gb/help/gameplay/article/decommissioning-of-online-services-september-2022/000102396

It's mostly:

Which someone says could heavily affect Anno 2070 as a critical functionality (the Ark) is apparently an online thingie for some mad reason.

Checkmate, customers.

lol

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

postmodifier posted:

He spent the entire loving time making a ridiculous argument about world of warcraft, equating it to an industrial factory pumping toxic waste into the river of gaming

Sounds like an accurate description of world of warcraft though?

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
Closing the thread for several days doesn't mean we're going to magically forget.

sebmojo posted:

it's the first hit for 'resetera bans' :shrug:

If you are this loving braindead, why do you still have admin powers?

Dick Burglar fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Jul 2, 2022

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

Take it to QCS please, let's stay on topic here.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine

postmodifier posted:

Jonathan Blow was one of the inaugural class of speakers at NYU Game Center, like two weeks after Richard Garfield

Garfield was cool as hell, though

Garfield?! gently caress yeah, wish I'd heard about that when I lived in NYC

Blow has an extremely abrasive personality, some terrible opinions, and many excellent thoughts. His recorded slideshow talks on programming and creativity as a left-brained thinker are very insightful. He is clearly a lovely ambassador for games as Art, because he loves to insult & argue has none of the social intelligence & grace necessary to persuade outsiders (even if he wanted to). He inspired a generation of indie creators without permeating broader culture, Velvet Underground style, except he made a ton of money immediately and was never cool in an artist sense (despite his literary pretensions in Braid lol)

I also believe he secretly modeled for a Neuromancer cover

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine
The real geniuses of Braid were the artist David Hellman (of the legendary webcomic A Lesson is Learned but the Damage is Irreversible) and the composers of that bangin' royalty free music

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO
Blow also believes that COVID was developed in a lab as a bioweapon, he's got a lot of brilliant opinions on poo poo he doesn't know.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler

FishMcCool posted:

It's mostly:

Checkmate, customers.

For some reason I feel vindicated for deciding to never buy or play a single game from Ubisoft after they made UPlay mandatory for their titles.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
his last name is blow lol

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

"Terrible opinions" is underselling what Blow has done, if you are using your platform in a tech-inflected field to muse about how maybe there are fewer women in tech because of evopsych reasons (in the middle of the games metoo wave lol) you are actively doing harm

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
really cool that an admin on this site frequents kiwifarms

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014

moonmazed posted:

really cool that an admin on this site frequents kiwifarms

lets kill him

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Dieting Hippo posted:

Blow also believes that COVID was developed in a lab as a bioweapon, he's got a lot of brilliant opinions on poo poo he doesn't know.

I remembered he had some dumb COVID take (that he blocked me and a bunch of others over) but I couldn't remember what specifically it was.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

"Terrible opinions" is underselling what Blow has done, if you are using your platform in a tech-inflected field to muse about how maybe there are fewer women in tech because of evopsych reasons (in the middle of the games metoo wave lol) you are actively doing harm

drat I missed this one.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Metis of the Hallways posted:

Reiterating this please. If you have an issue with one of the admins, take it to the designated forum that's meant to address this.

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
lol

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Metis of the Hallways posted:

tithin posted:

Reiterating this please. If you have an issue with one of the admins, take it to the designated forum that's meant to address this.

Yeah, why would I want to question in this thread why somebody closed this thread for several days immediately after sebmojo showed their entire rear end?

but lol ok i posted in qcs, r u happy

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
yes, thank you

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Dick Burglar posted:

Yeah, why would I want to question in this thread why somebody closed this thread for several days immediately after sebmojo showed their entire rear end?

but lol ok i posted in qcs, r u happy

Because it's a bigger problem than this thread.

Also, I asked for the thread to be closed, because the way the thread was going was super lovely.

If you're unhappy about an admin showing their whole rear end, there's a whole forum for discussion on gently caress ups by SA staff - so thank you for moving it there.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Sega are matching employees donations to Planned Parenthood and other pro choice charities, which is nice to see

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
great news, the admins investigated themselves and have found no evidence of wrongdoing!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Jedi425
Dec 6, 2002

THOU ART THEE ART THOU STICK YOUR HAND IN THE TV DO IT DO IT DO IT

FishMcCool posted:

It's "installation and access to DLC", meaning that if you own the DLC but haven't installed it yet for some reason, you might want to do it before September. And make an archive of the folder since installation won't be an option afterwards.

edit: fair enough, I might be misreading it and maybe they just mean "installation of DLC and access to DLC", which is still pretty scummy but they've tried to pull that one before with MMX as mentioned above. My original reading was that installation of the game was part of the discontinued features. I wouldn't put it past them.

At least for Anno 2070, it's disabling the DLC and other features of the main game. The last time the servers were down, you couldn't play anything that used the DLC, either story missions or open play. You couldn't access your bonuses for faction rep. You couldn't use a ton of poo poo. If they don't patch it, that's a hell of a thing. Not that I've bought anything from Ubi for a while.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

Dieting Hippo posted:

dude really is pure :biotruths:

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Jedi425 posted:

At least for Anno 2070, it's disabling the DLC and other features of the main game. The last time the servers were down, you couldn't play anything that used the DLC, either story missions or open play. You couldn't access your bonuses for faction rep. You couldn't use a ton of poo poo. If they don't patch it, that's a hell of a thing. Not that I've bought anything from Ubi for a while.
That really blows for people who bought any of the latest Anno games. It is ubisoft so I don't have much hope or any expectations that they won't just happily screw their customers over.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
I remember playing Mass Effect 2 on pc a few years ago and the dlcs were only available through downloading .rar files from EA's website. it wasn't good but at least I could access the dlcs.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

I remember importing save data from Mass Effect 1 to 2 was a bit of a pain in the rear end when EA did a trilogy bundle release that required Origin, because the original release had a launcher where you were supposed to do that, and there was no way to do it in-game… which was a problem because the Origin version just immediately booted up.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

RealityWarCriminal posted:

I remember playing Mass Effect 2 on pc a few years ago and the dlcs were only available through downloading .rar files from EA's website. it wasn't good but at least I could access the dlcs.

Some of the Mass Effect 1 DLC is still unavailable officially I think. Not a huge loss though since they weren't very good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
that was a "we lost the assets and couldn't justify completely remaking it for the remaster" thing, not really a GAAS/DLC servers thing