Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Vote to threadban Bioshuffle
This poll is closed.
Yes (Goku) 146 85.38%
No (also Goku) 25 14.62%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

Elephant Ambush posted:

blithering idiots who are indescribably bad at watching TV

this is probably the most hostile thing that gets repeated in the thread every week by somebody. that exact phrase 'bad at watching tv' has caught on and it sucks - yeah some people miss things that seem obvious to others, but christ imagine saying this to an actual person in real life. you'd sound like a rage nerd.

plus maybe the poster was sort of half watching a scene or something and misinterpreted something. you could just correct them or ignore the post rather than jumping down their throat about how pathetic their media interpretation skills are, in comparison to you, the calibrated TV interpreter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

roomtone posted:

this is probably the most hostile thing that gets repeated in the thread every week by somebody. that exact phrase 'bad at watching tv' has caught on and it sucks - yeah some people miss things that seem obvious to others, but christ imagine saying this to an actual person in real life. you'd sound like a rage nerd.

plus maybe the poster was sort of half watching a scene or something and misinterpreted something. you could just correct them or ignore the post rather than jumping down their throat about how pathetic their media interpretation skills are, in comparison to you, the calibrated TV interpreter.

I am very good at watching TV :madmax:

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

roomtone posted:

Whereas all you seem to be doing is watching a TV show that you hate. You know you have the option not to yeah?

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Supes in the military has literally been the raison de etre for Vought since Soldier Boy. Maybe Frederick's motives were pure science--we have no idea if he was as committed to Nazism as his wife, presumably not since he dipped out of the Reich mid war to America. Most of what we hear about his grand Nazi ideals comes from Stormfront, probably not a reliable narrator. But I doubt he did that because he loved freedom. He was probably a (forgive the Picard reference) a Soong-type amoral Science for Science's Sake guy. When Hitler didn't give him his funding he went to the US.

I imagine that they probably had experimented on dozens or more grunts before getting success with Soldier Boy; as their only Supersoldier they ended up only using him for propaganda and photo ops. The war ends, the US massively draws down military spending. With only Soldier Boy and Vought's wife being the only successful V experiments and the future of war looking nuclear, Vought loses funding.

He comes up with the Hail Mary idea of Superheroes, maybe after seeing a Superman comic on a newsstand. The US military rejected the idea of putting his wife, a woman, in a uniform, so they dress her up as Liberty and run around fighting crime with Soldier Boy as proof of concept. By '52 there's enough successful adult V recipients to have an orgy, but then they decide to start experimenting on kids in the 50s and 60s, getting the first generation--Crimson Countess, Mindstorm, Noir, etc. But it will take time to raise them.

At some point they find they can make money with Supes and off Soldier Boy's celebrity, building up the corporation. They still work with the military on some things with Soldier Boy, but as he's a one off, his use is limited. They probably didn't throw him in the action in Korea or 'Nam. Vought kept using what Supes they had to build up public consciousness about superpowered people and make money. When the first kids came of age in the 80s, Payback was probably another proof of concept, this time of what a team could do. But they were fuckups because Soldier Boy had to train them and he's no leader, and the were already too wrapped up in the idea of being celebrity caped personas.

When Vought started mass sending out V to kids, they had so many we see the whole concept of talent competitions, low level "farm teams" and Supes in every city, with the lesser ones in lower cities. But that also meant a high rate of failures--ones with dumb powers like prehensile dicks or kids who killed their parents, making it even harder to sell to the military. Not to mention the government not wanting to give Vought control of the military. Temp V is the latest and greatest solution they have--a way to give powers to adults but the power wears off so they can't get out of control.

They make billions with Supes, but they could make trillions with the US military.

Astroman fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Jul 4, 2022

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

tokin opposition posted:

He's obviously gay

oh no it's "dean winchester, one of the main know traits of which womaniser, is gay. not bi, gay." all over again

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Astroman posted:

Supes in the military has literally been the raison de etre for Vought since Soldier Boy. Maybe Frederick's motives were pure science--we have no idea if he was as committed to Nazism as his wife, presumably not since he dipped out of the Reich mid war to America. Most of what we hear about his grand Nazi ideals comes from Stormfront, probably not a reliable narrator. But I doubt he did that because he loved freedom. He was probably a (forgive the Picard reference) a Soong-type amoral Science for Science's Sake guy. When Hitler didn't give him his funding he went to the US.

Well he and his wife were personal friends of the Nazi elite ("Goebbels was a wonderful dancer") and Edgar outright says Vought defected because he realized the Nazis were losing, and that he made V using Holocaust victims.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.
Hear me out, the "Soldier Boy singing From a Logical Point of View" clip was a clue. SB is singing about how you should marry an ugly woman, right? Well, as we all know, "beauty is only skin deep, but ugly goes right to the bone"--the "ugliness" he's singing about isn't physical, it's ideological. And what, I ask you, is ideologically uglier than a Nazi? Furthermore, in keeping with the mid-20th-century patriarchy Soldier Boy represents, "wife" is synonymous with "mother," the only role available to a woman at the time.

ERGO, what Soldier Boy is saying here is "make a Nazi the mother of your child," ergo Stormfront is clearly Homelander's mother.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3D97gwGlMFE

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

I worked up a powerful loneliness in my massive bed, in the massive dark.
Grimey Drawer
Interesting how our Evil Captain America is basically just the Ultimate version. All he needs to do now is insult France.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Mameluke posted:

Well he and his wife were personal friends of the Nazi elite ("Goebbels was a wonderful dancer") and Edgar outright says Vought defected because he realized the Nazis were losing, and that he made V using Holocaust victims.

It would be interesting to find out which is true, and I would love to see some flashbacks that tell more of the early days. My thinking was that Vought was more of a Davros type amoral scientist than a dedicated Nazi. Like the Kaleds were literal Nazis, and the Daleks moreso with their racial superiority but Davros was even worse--he would destroy all life in the universe with a snap of his fingers just because he could. And like Davros he sold out his country and supposed ideals.

I was thinking about this, and all the scenes before S1E1 are pretty much all from possibly unreliable narrators--Stam Edgar infodumping to Homelander, with an agenda. Black Noir's cartoon remembrances of things from his POV after extreme mental trauma. Stormfront confessing her origin story to Homelander. Mallory's tale where she, if not the hero (because even she probably realizes how amoral she is), was hyper competent next to the buffoonery of Payback. The Legend talking about how great and cynical he is vs how dumb and fake the Supes (especially Soldier Boy) are.

It's an interesting device, because Kripke can always show a different version later and say "that wasn't quite what happened, here's the truth".

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

I don’t think she’s going to die, I think Stan Edgar is going to throw her to the wolves when he makes his inevitable return to power. The corporation will extract one last use from her.

The writers have been pretty good about salvaging threads from the comic and making them useful. I've thought since the moment Ashley was elevated that her arc was going to conclude with the "thrown under the whole-rear end Vought bus" conclusion that happened to Jessica Bradley in the comics.

Hell, she even ends up tearing her hair out in the books once she realizes it.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Every single episode I'm on edge waiting for someone to eye laser/head explode/A-train splatter Ashley.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

stev posted:

Every single episode I'm on edge waiting for someone to eye laser/head explode/A-train splatter Ashley.

Nah. I agree with GD_Amercian. She's walking off a glass cliff.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I'm wondering where they'll be taking Ashley 2 more than Ashley tbh.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

could go anywhere but i bet they'll just have ashley 1 kill her somehow. she likes to feel like a supe, and she disappears all the corpses anyway. don't think they'll do the 'she's a supe/deep state mega-genius' thing again after having just done that with newman

The Last Call
Sep 9, 2011

Rehabilitating sinner
https://twitter.com/VoughtIntl/status/1543980703896858624

Bless Amerika.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

The dialectical struggle of history has always, essentially, been a question of how to apply justice to matter. Take away matter and what remains is justice.
Tankie Homelander.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Open Source Idiom posted:

I'm wondering where they'll be taking Ashley 2 more than Ashley tbh.

They'll make you think Ashley 1 is gonna take the fall, someone will say "Ashley needs to pay" and we'll smash cut to Ashley two getting fired/lasered/head exploded/A train splattered.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.
Can someone clarify for me, since I haven't watched Season 1 or 2 since they aired: Ryan is the only natural born Supe, right? Like, we presume that other Supes have had children (I can't think any examples though), but only Ryan has developed powers without being dosed with V?

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Stormfront had a natural daughter who died just before her reappearance.

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

her daughter wasnt a supe and stormfront herself points out that ryan is the first natural born superhero. so yes friend. to your question

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Golden Bee posted:

Both homelander and gunpowder try and murder Billy Butcher before finding out he has powers. Gunpowder shoots him twice in the chest. Not a lot of sympathy there.

In defense of Gunpowder, there were plenty other free urinals for Butcher to go to. You just don't go use the one next to someone else, its bad etiquette. Butcher deserved the bullets.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

In season 2 there was a supe in Stormfront's prison that could make people's head explode and crush things using telekinesis. Last we saw of her she was hitchhiking. I thought we were meant to assume she was the one popping all the heads and the writers seem to have dropped her story completely.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
They said she will be back next season, I think. They just had so much going on with this one there was nowhere to put her.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Dalael posted:

In defense of Gunpowder, there were plenty other free urinals for Butcher to go to. You just don't go use the one next to someone else, its bad etiquette. Butcher deserved the bullets.

True

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Mu Zeta posted:

In season 2 there was a supe in Stormfront's prison that could make people's head explode and crush things using telekinesis. Last we saw of her she was hitchhiking. I thought we were meant to assume she was the one popping all the heads and the writers seem to have dropped her story completely.

That was Cindy. Her entire existence was a red herring to keep the audience from guessing that Neumann was the head popper

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

They said she will be back next season, I think. They just had so much going on with this one there was nowhere to put her.

Oh really? That's cool. I figured she was gone because her job of being a red herring was over. That should be fun to see. I like Cindy

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Stranger Things also did a "Here's a bunch of other people with extremely strong powers" subplot and also memory holed it

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

In It For The Tank posted:

Can someone clarify for me, since I haven't watched Season 1 or 2 since they aired: Ryan is the only natural born Supe, right? Like, we presume that other Supes have had children (I can't think any examples though), but only Ryan has developed powers without being dosed with V?

If we assume they didn't do something to Becca or straight after the birth sure

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Chamale posted:

Stranger Things also did a "Here's a bunch of other people with extremely strong powers" subplot and also memory holed it

It was only one other character

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Elephant Ambush posted:

It was only one other character

I guess there's up to 10 though.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make
A bit late to the party on this, but I absolutely adore the cartoon animations that were used for Noir's flashbacks. It amazes me how creative these showrunners and writers get.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

stev posted:

I guess there's up to 10 though.

There's way more than that but they all died

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

tokin opposition posted:

Tankie Homelander.

Motherlander

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

It would be comedy gold if Ted Cruz or some similar dumbshit unironically retweets this.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Horizon Burning posted:

How is this thread the worst one on the forums

Because this is a good show, with serious flaws that wobbles between between politics and themes from 2006 or 2016 with no in between

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/jowrotethis/status/1543751925195083776?t=vLUAXnRKtVptKWoG_OjRrg&s=19

now that's a perfect tweet :discourse:

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

Chamale posted:

I thought it was funny that Paul Reiser showed up in both shows as 2 very different people.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

runaway dog posted:

I thought it was funny that Paul Reiser showed up in both shows as 2 very different people.

I've seen him do stand up in the past few years and he is a very sweet and kind person.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

GreenNight posted:

I've seen him do stand up in the past few years and he is a very sweet and kind person.

I've always had a soft spot for him cos I found him funny when I saw My Two Dads as a kid. Plus he was a good corporate stooge in Aliens.

Marsupial Ape
Dec 15, 2020
the mod team violated the sancity of my avatar

GreenNight posted:

Reiser is still doing stand up? That's awesome. Was it a tight 5 or does he have a whole hour?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Marsupial Ape posted:

Reiser is still doing stand up? That's awesome. Was it a tight 5 or does he have a whole hour?

Well, and maybe this is sad, but I was at an IT conference and he was the special guest. So maybe 30 of us sat with him for 2 hours and listened to stories, had a Q&A, etc. He did have jokes about his wife having to wake him up because he was flying out to Wisconsin that morning to have a set with us.