Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/JesseBrown/status/1543574309679124484?t=OPDvIMO3mTl8q5VWRoOvJw&s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

the white hand posted:

that article is full of wonderfully creepy photos

The entire article is basically a goony looking dude bragging about his hot racist wife.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

They also formed an organization to counteract some black student organization.

quote:

The trouble began on July 4, 2020, when a group of Princeton faculty sent a letter to the university’s president, demanding that the university combat institutional racism. “Anti-Blackness is foundational to America,” it declared.

Four days later, Dr. Katz responded with a manifesto, “A Declaration of Independence by a Princeton Professor,” in Quillette, which is something of a house organ for the so-called Intellectual Dark Web. He took issue with proposed changes that would “lead to civil war on campus and erode even further public confidence in how elite institutions of higher education operate.”

But the part that drew the most notice was his characterization of the Black Justice League — a student group that had called on Princeton to acknowledge the racist legacy of Woodrow Wilson some six years before it finally took his name off its public policy school, in June of 2020 — as “a small local terrorist organization.”

The trouble began on July 4, 2020, when a group of Princeton faculty sent a letter to the university’s president, demanding that the university combat institutional racism. “Anti-Blackness is foundational to America,” it declared.

Four days later, Dr. Katz responded with a manifesto, “A Declaration of Independence by a Princeton Professor,” in Quillette, which is something of a house organ for the so-called Intellectual Dark Web. He took issue with proposed changes that would “lead to civil war on campus and erode even further public confidence in how elite institutions of higher education operate.”

But the part that drew the most notice was his characterization of the Black Justice League — a student group that had called on Princeton to acknowledge the racist legacy of Woodrow Wilson some six years before it finally took his name off its public policy school, in June of 2020 — as “a small local terrorist organization.”

As it happens, when she was a student at Princeton, Ms. Gold had helped found a group called the Princeton Open Campus Coalition for the express purpose of opposing the Black Justice League and its demands.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

AnimeIsTrash posted:

The entire article is basically a goony looking dude bragging about his hot racist wife.

I see TheSaurus landed on his feet

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

AnimeIsTrash posted:

When i got to grad school and found out that all academics - from university staff and tenured profs to the lowliest underpaid graduate student - were all basically goons and had goon neuroses, it really made me reevaluate my life choices

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

shes a classics major so you know she knows that good old school style of racism

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

AnimeIsTrash posted:

oh?

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

AnimeIsTrash posted:

shes a classics major so you know she knows that good old school style of racism

all she needs is a minor in opera

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

sounds like youre jealous

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

AnimeIsTrash posted:

sounds like youre jealous

I am

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

https://twitter.com/bnonews/status/1544025147694321667

mortons stork
Oct 13, 2012

Christ lol

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

lol

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
I see nothing wrong.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

i mean, honestly, what positive news were they expecting to be there?

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
nothing more american than that

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/isabellawangbc/status/1543237409197793282

Lol

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

i was curious if it was in chinese characters or latin script but while the shared pages of her writing were full of disgusting foreign words, i didn't see any chinese

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Not sure what's supposed to be objectionable about this. Buzzwords aside, it seems like it's up to the author to decide how they want to present their work. Not everything needs to be accessible to all audiences. I guess if I was an obscure poet I wouldn't be so confrontational about it, like I was guarding a treasure from the hoi polloi, but that's Twitter for you, only the most aggressive stuff breaks through.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

get owned white readers

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
heh. All according to keikaku*

*gently caress you white readers you'll never be able to find out what this word means!!!

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Pretend I posted that comic where panel 1 a leftist is refusing to explain their positions because it's not their job to do your research and panel 2 is nazis falling over themselves to explain their positions to anyone who will listen.

the white hand
Nov 12, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
then they give you a gas card and some bread

Dr. Jerrold Coe
Feb 6, 2021

Is it me?

pospysyl posted:

Not sure what's supposed to be objectionable about this. Buzzwords aside, it seems like it's up to the author to decide how they want to present their work. Not everything needs to be accessible to all audiences. I guess if I was an obscure poet I wouldn't be so confrontational about it, like I was guarding a treasure from the hoi polloi, but that's Twitter for you, only the most aggressive stuff breaks through.

Yep it's the scold tone and presenting what could be an artistic choice as praxis and lashing out at the dread white bros

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

pospysyl posted:

this guy nails it tbh. hard to disagree with this

https://twitter.com/allahliker/status/1543681423575580673

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys
that reply is a work of art

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
That reply is a koan.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

me reading Book of the New Sun

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
reading finnegan's wake which consists of 50% archaic irish slang words with no footnotes.

joepinetree
Apr 5, 2012
First, the lady is using BIPOC wrong:

https://twitter.com/isabellawangbc/status/1543677948439547906

It's not Black, Indigenous and People of Color. It's Black and Indigenous People of Color. And it was created specifically to separate black and indigenous experiences from those of other people who fall under "people of color." In fact, it was specifically created exclude Asians from that classification (because Asians are not underrepresented in a number of fields, and in fact are frequently overrepresented in a number of academic fields).

So the lady starts out by including herself in a category that she does not belong to.

Second, the audience for that tweet aren't other marginalized communities. It's white people seeking familiar "authenticity. "

Third, a lot of the sort of posturing regarding language appropriation and authenticity by immigrants with dual citizenship and 2nd gen immigrants is about trying to protect their place as gatekeepers. She's not defending the right to have more books published entirely in Mandarin. Because of course that would increase competition for her. She wants mostly English stuff peppered with some phrases here and there. I.e., what makes her special. I am pretty sure that most Chinese writers in China would have a very different view of being translated to English than this person who seems to have spent her entire adolescence and adulthood in Canada.

joepinetree has issued a correction as of 04:56 on Jul 5, 2022

the white hand
Nov 12, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

quote:

ON FORGETTING A LANGUAGE (Baseline Press ) | PEBBLE SWING (Nightwood Ed. 2021) 👇| Editor @RoomMagazine
| SFU English & World Lit | (she/they/potato)

living your life for white people is rough, every day you have to think of a new angle

a new way to shake your hat and cane around like bugs and daffy

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

fart simpson posted:

i just wanted to quote this again because i think that tweet could be the best Post ever made. it's like unlocking the lament configuration in text form

the milk machine has issued a correction as of 05:07 on Jul 5, 2022

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

joepinetree posted:

First, the lady is using BIPOC wrong:

https://twitter.com/isabellawangbc/status/1543677948439547906

It's not Black, Indigenous and People of Color. It's Black and Indigenous People of Color. And it was created specifically to separate black and indigenous experiences from those of other people who fall under "people of color." In fact, it was specifically created exclude Asians from that classification (because Asians are not underrepresented in a number of fields, and in fact are frequently overrepresented in a number of academic fields).

So the lady starts out by including herself in a category that she does not belong to.

Second, the audience for that tweet aren't other marginalized communities. It's white people seeking familiar "authenticity. "

Third, a lot of the sort of posturing regarding language appropriation and authenticity by immigrants with dual citizenship and 2nd gen immigrants is about trying to protect their place as gatekeepers. She's not defending the right to have more books published entirely in Mandarin. Because of course that would increase competition for her. She wants mostly English stuff peppered with some phrases here and there. I.e., what makes her special. I am pretty sure that most Chinese writers in China would have a very different view of being translated to English than this person who seems to have spent her entire adolescence and adulthood in Canada.

where did you hear that the term BIPOC is supposed to exclude Asians.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

the New York Times is anti-abortion at this point
https://twitter.com/LeahLibresco/status/1543947638755758081?s=20&t=uPV99wduhcM_8cGi4jTIQw
https://twitter.com/ericacbarnett/status/1543999456726564865?s=20&t=uPV99wduhcM_8cGi4jTIQw

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
It’s a social contagion.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

does any big mainstream news outlet hate their readership more than the New York Times

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Atrocious Joe posted:

where did you hear that the term BIPOC is supposed to exclude Asians.

"Supposed to exclude Asians" isn't how I would phrase it, but the intent of BIPOC is to note that Black and Indigenous people are particularly racialized and oppressed. But I've seen a lot of people misuse it as "I'm not racist, I have a bye-pock friend!"

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
bipocky

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

fart simpson posted:

just quoting this incredible reply again