Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

gschmidl posted:

https://twitter.com/Polium__/status/1543834202017243138

WHAT DOES THAT MEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN

idk, but i do know that reading this makes me want to start hitting people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Paladinus posted:

The slurp juice. The slurp juice for the ape. The slurp juice chosen specifically to use on the ape. The ape's slurp juice.

It is by scams alone I set my apes in motion
It is by slurping juice that the apes become slurped, my reputation acquires stains, the stains become a warning
It is by scams alone I set my apes in motion

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I've often wished Netflix was on the blockchain

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
chockblain

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
"banking the unbanked" only and ever meant money launderers, OP

toadee
Aug 16, 2003

North American Turtle Boy Love Association

Aside from ‘it’s a crypto exchange’ is there any big hope on the horizon for FTX collapsing? Getting tired of seeing their poo poo everywhere and since they seem to be trying to buy up the fresh carcasses it seems fitting.

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

blockchain blockchain Blockchain Blockchain BLOCKCHAIN BLOCKCHAIN BLOCKCHAIN

slurp juice! slurp juice!
an aaaape, ooh an aaaape

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
for apes about to mint

we sa-lurp you

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

here I am

slurp you like a boring ape

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

njsykora posted:

shoutout to them thinking stadia, a service that died on its rear end years after the ouya did was responsible for the ouya’s failure
https://twitter.com/notcurlybrace/status/1543771634150031360

well, this isn't like the ouya

ouya actually released a product, even if it was bad. this is more like the phantom where they are going to lead people on for money with increasingly crazy promises and disappear long before anything close to a market-ready product exists

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
i never knew how the phantom story ended, but i didn't expect it would turn out to be a complete scam!

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

the ouya failed because they only went after indie devs with mobile game success, and it turns out that making a game that works on mobile is actually different than making a game that works on console, and the people they were targeting didn't really have the bandwidth to do a console port with no guaranteed payoff

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

toadee posted:

Aside from ‘it’s a crypto exchange’ is there any big hope on the horizon for FTX collapsing? Getting tired of seeing their poo poo everywhere and since they seem to be trying to buy up the fresh carcasses it seems fitting.

annoyingly they appear to be the ones that are going to absorb the corpses of everyone else and manage to survive, there is always hope however that they'll end up hilariously overextending themselves and collapsing under their own weight

more falafel please posted:

the ouya failed because they only went after indie devs with mobile game success, and it turns out that making a game that works on mobile is actually different than making a game that works on console, and the people they were targeting didn't really have the bandwidth to do a console port with no guaranteed payoff

it also failed because it was hilariously underpowered even by the mobile standards of the time (it used an nvidia tegra 3, which was a 2 year old chip by the time the ouya launched), not to mention incredibly badly built because they had to somehow hit the $99 price point. they got beaten to market by basically everyone else including nvidia themselves who had the shield portable out a month after the ouya's public launch with a faster chip and better library. there was some talk around its launch that even if the ouya itself didn't take off the box might still be worth it as a small emulation console but it wasn't even good enough for that

njsykora fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jul 4, 2022

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

i never knew how the phantom story ended, but i didn't expect it would turn out to be a complete scam!
they did release the lapboard, which was definitely not what they were originally advertising. it was a piece of poo poo, but it was a thing that existed

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

let's not underestimate the god-awful controller as a key contributor to the ouya's failure

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
this commercial didn't help
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0ha6Mb5_YQ

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

the ouya failed because it sucked donkey dicks in every possible way, op.
https://youtu.be/mKFVniVk95I

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Midjack posted:

the ouya failed because it sucked donkey dicks in every possible way, op.
https://youtu.be/mKFVniVk95I

im the spent roll of toiletpaper that hasnt been replaced

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Truman Peyote posted:

let's not underestimate the god-awful controller as a key contributor to the ouya's failure

Ah yes the controller with O, U, Y and A buttons.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish

Asymmetric POSTer posted:

im the spent roll of toiletpaper that hasnt been replaced

that's the ouya toilet, no toilet paper needed

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

i always imagine it being said in the minnesotan accent

Ya? oouya!

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

i refuse to believe this is real

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

but it was a gaming system for the television

people love the television

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Endless Mike posted:

they did release the lapboard, which was definitely not what they were originally advertising. it was a piece of poo poo, but it was a thing that existed

so the phantom was arguably a better investment than the majority of crypto garbage purely by virtue of actually having produced something, indicating that the people behind it weren't actually planning to take the money and run as soon as they were done raising funds?

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

blockchain blockchain Blockchain Blockchain BLOCKCHAIN BLOCKCHAIN BLOCKCHAIN

pictured: defi developer

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

haveblue posted:

for apes about to mint

we sa-lurp you
:hist101:

qirex posted:

here I am

slurp you like a boring ape
:rock::guitar:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

so the phantom was arguably a better investment than the majority of crypto garbage purely by virtue of actually having produced something, indicating that the people behind it weren't actually planning to take the money and run as soon as they were done raising funds?
No, if you're investing in a hype train then an actual product appearing is the worst case scenario. Things that exist are bounded by reality. Things that don't exist can do anything.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
holy poo poo now that you put it that way it's absolutely 100% true

goddamn i would be so loving bad at running a crypto scam. or probably any scam really. gonna have to study the dao under the masters

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

holy poo poo now that you put it that way it's absolutely 100% true

goddamn i would be so loving bad at running a crypto scam. or probably any scam really. gonna have to study the dao under the masters

the funniest thing about crypto isn't all the great scams, it's all the things that would have been great scams if the creators were actually trying to scam, but were genuinely trying to make something and lost all the money for real.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
buttcoin:

Splicer posted:

Things that don't exist can do anything.

(or stick it on one of the Star Citizen threads in grey forums if they're hurting)

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

investment is at its heart optimism and the ever popular “potential”

making an actual thing collapses the investor storytime quantum waveform

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

fisting by many posted:

the funniest thing about crypto isn't all the great scams, it's all the things that would have been great scams if the creators were actually trying to scam, but were genuinely trying to make something and lost all the money for real.

it's proportional to the level of incompetence displayed. those guys that lost millions because they were running their entire exchange off of a single aws instance and its instance storage are probably in my top 3

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Splicer posted:

No, if you're investing in a hype train then an actual product appearing is the worst case scenario. Things that exist are bounded by reality. Things that don't exist can do anything.

Yep.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzAdXyPYKQo

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

qirex posted:

investment is at its heart optimism and the ever popular “potential”

making an actual thing collapses the investor storytime quantum waveform
this is why apple has such a low p/e ratio compared to unicorns like uber

apple makes products and services and sells them to a large and well-established market at a very profitable margin. which is great but it means that there are real, concrete, physical limits on how much their sales and profits can grow

uber can spin a moonbeams-and-fairydust story about flying self-driving ubertaxis dominating the entire global livery and airline market and in doing so can argue that their future earnings are potentially unlimited, thereby justifying their astronomical p/e valuation (well, until recently)

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

but combined with greater fools / bubble thoughts / investor brain, so the winning cats never think "no?"

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

FMguru posted:

uber can spin a moonbeams-and-fairydust story about flying self-driving ubertaxis dominating the entire global livery and airline market and in doing so can argue that their future earnings are potentially unlimited, thereby justifying their astronomical p/e valuation (well, until recently)

goddamn the investor class is dumb. Hypothetical valuation based on unrealized future earnings from projects that hadn't even broken ground is exactly what did Enron in

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

jisforjosh posted:

goddamn the investor class is dumb.

too dumb to fail

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

jisforjosh posted:

goddamn the investor class is dumb.

it’s a combination of that, and it’s in every startup’s best interest to fool them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
they also make immense profits by selling to even dumber members of the investor class