Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Personally, I was hoping that Kheris would hold off on taking MRD until after 5.0. :v:

Edit: hell of a page snipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

AncientSpark posted:

They are also a bit more self-buff dependent than DPS classes and there will always be certain self-buffs that a tank will need (whereas they can't complicate the DPS rotation too much until more tools later). You can see this with how crowded their Role Action page is compared to other jobs/roles. There's really not that many ways you can make interesting variations of Rampart or Arm's Length, for example.

It's not until I played a tank that I noticed you keep all role actions when you get level synced down. Everyone else's are either available below level 15, highly situational or both.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
One thing that may be relevant about MRD teaching you to always be moving forward: until EW, MRD's spammable aoe skill to gain aggro was not a circular pbaoe like the other tanks. It was instead a frontal cone, and that becomes very noticeable if you do hall of the novice as a MRD - in the lesson about getting and holding aggro on multiple enemies, the MRD's target dummies are arranged so you need to position yourself to catch them all in the cone. Endwalker changed overpower to instead be a circle pbaoe like the other tanks' basic spammable aoe, but originally MRD really did need to be constantly at the forefront of the group to line up the overpower cones appropriately. You can still see NPC marauders using overpower as a cone aoe instead of the new circle.

AncientSpark
Jan 18, 2013

SirPhoebos posted:

Personally, I was hoping that Kheris would hold off on taking MRD until after 5.0. :v:

Edit: hell of a page snipe.

Agreed, but then again, given how nothing MRD/WAR quest are, maybe it's better she didn't bother, lol

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

There used to be more differentiation. PLD did not have an aoe at any level for quite a long time and had a single dps combo while warrior had three different combo finishers and two different second swing abilities.

The homogenization has happened progressively over each expac, and with how tanking works in this game I think it’s necessary.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Jesus, I can't imagine how having no AOE worked on a tank. Did you just keep having to juggle targets?
You had aggro combos back then too, right? It wasn't like it is now where just turning on your tank stance makes it basically impossible to lose aggro so long as you're attacking.

I didn't do much tanking or healing before ShB, so I've only done the more homogenised versions.

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment
If I remember correctly, your shield/axe throw abilities generated extra enmity, so when gathering up a crowd of mobs with no AOE you basically just had to ranged attack everybody once or twice.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Pretty much. Single target attacks on dungeon packs were largely the way to go for everyone, from what I understand, and AOE as standard practice was more of a thing at the time of Stormblood and Shadowbringers overhauls.

Back in ARR you couldn't even get Provoke on one job by itself, it was a cross-class skill you had to transfer over.

Coherent skill spreads were not exactly present at the time.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Mr. Nice! posted:

There used to be more differentiation. PLD did not have an aoe at any level for quite a long time and had a single dps combo while warrior had three different combo finishers and two different second swing abilities.

The homogenization has happened progressively over each expac, and with how tanking works in this game I think it’s necessary.

Yeah, you can see that from how, for example, paladin doesn't get a gap closer until level seventy four, while the other tanks get it significantly earlier.

Red Metal
Oct 23, 2012

Let me tell you about Homestuck

Fun Shoe

Veotax posted:

Jesus, I can't imagine how having no AOE worked on a tank. Did you just keep having to juggle targets?

PLD had an AOE, but it didn't do damage, it only generated enmity.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Veotax posted:

You had aggro combos back then too, right? It wasn't like it is now where just turning on your tank stance makes it basically impossible to lose aggro so long as you're attacking.

I didn't do much tanking or healing before ShB, so I've only done the more homogenised versions.

Paladin had Flash, which was an aoe increased enmity and blind, but did no damage. You'd use it to establish aggro and keep up the blind, then primarily cycle through mobs with your single-target rotation.
Flash also used MP instead of TP, so it had the benefit of being spammed more easily if needed. Whereas spamming damaging AoEs would fairly quickly lead most melee jobs to being unable to attack any more.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
It's always a little funny going back to do a ARR class quest after finishing an expansion or 2. You've fought enemy armies, gods, dragons, and who knows what else, but now you have to train hard to you can kill this larger than average buffalo. It doesn't break the story for me or anything, it's just a bit silly.

After this, the only ARR job quests left that you haven't done will be monk and summoner, right? Considering who you're going to be traveling with, there will be plenty of excuses to pick up monk at any point you feel like. Summoner is a bit odd though, it shares levels with Scholar so it's technically already leveled.

Roluth
Apr 22, 2014

Gruckles posted:

Paladin had Flash, which was an aoe increased enmity and blind, but did no damage. You'd use it to establish aggro and keep up the blind, then primarily cycle through mobs with your single-target rotation.
Flash also used MP instead of TP, so it had the benefit of being spammed more easily if needed. Whereas spamming damaging AoEs would fairly quickly lead most melee jobs to being unable to attack any more.

Let's just say that TP's death in Shadowbringers was unmourned for this very reason.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Rhonne posted:

It's always a little funny going back to do a ARR class quest after finishing an expansion or 2. You've fought enemy armies, gods, dragons, and who knows what else, but now you have to train hard to you can kill this larger than average buffalo. It doesn't break the story for me or anything, it's just a bit silly.

How silly it feels depends on how well they made an excuse for why you have to do things as that job. Like if you've got to cleanse some taint it makes sense that you have to use conjury to do it, even if you're not very good at it because you haven't trained in specifically that. But if you've got to kill a buffalo, well you have a dozen powerful and stylish ways of doing that already.

Although silliest is probably DRG where the inititial quests are about you chasing down a criminal called Estinien.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Gruckles posted:

Tanking in general used to be more difficult, more plates to keep spinning so to speak. Best practices was also to pop out of tank stance after establishing aggro to keep the dps up.

I don't miss it. I very much prefer the current style get aggro and aoe than constantly cycling through mobs to hit them with a single part of your rotation.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Reading all of these posts about how the game used to be really drives home the “there’s never been a better time to start!” message, doesn’t it? :v:

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Rap Game Goku posted:

I don't miss it. I very much prefer the current style get aggro and aoe than constantly cycling through mobs to hit them with a single part of your rotation.

Why cycle through targets? Tank AoEs all do more average potency per GCD with three or more targets. There's some niche uses to single target, like PLD eventually getting more MP back if they need to spam Clemency for some reason, but in general use the AoEs are fine.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Marauder was pretty funny in ARR because it didn't get a DPS tank stance when upgraded to warrior, so for soloing and PvP you didn't need or want the WAR stance anyway. Meanwhile, cross-class skills worked differently, eg. Flash could be cross classed by almost anyone and it helped get gold in crowded FATEs because more enmity = more contribution, without having a cast time or requiring a target. Because the base classes had access to way more cross-class skills (and had more slots for them than jobs), marauder could just pick the DPS buff/cooldown of each class and become a murder machine without really losing much from not using the job stone.

Gruckles posted:

Let's not forget TP was used to sprint so gladiators/paladins could do both!

Onean posted:

Why cycle through targets? Tank AoEs all do more average potency per GCD with three or more targets. There's some niche uses to single target, like PLD eventually getting more MP back if they need to spam Clemency for some reason, but in general use the AoEs are fine.
"than", not "then" :)

orcane fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jul 5, 2022

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

I’m slightly disappointed that Paladin is the only job that uses shields, because I just realized that there was a missed opportunity for a Marauder Shields shoutout

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

orcane posted:

"than", not "then" :)

Ah. The sentence structure threw me off (it's not wrong, but my brain saw it only a certain way, probably due to firework-induced insomnia this past week), and I thought it was a misspelling...

Onean fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Jul 5, 2022

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Regalingualius posted:

Reading all of these posts about how the game used to be really drives home the “there’s never been a better time to start!” message, doesn’t it? :v:

Absolutely; I'm really glad I got in on this circa mid-Shadowbringers; there certainly have been some big improvements even since then (The MSQ streamline efforts, praetorium overhaul, duty support, etc.) but man I'm glad thr overall battle system got hammered into roughly this shape back the.

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

Onean posted:

Ah. The sentence structure threw me off (it's not wrong, but my brain saw it only a certain way, probably due to firework-induced insomnia this past week), and I thought it was a misspelling...

Sorry, phone postin' and didn't catch it. Point is that things are better now.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Yeah, if nothing else SB has a fond place in my heart for the system changes

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

We need an NPC that clonks Alisaie and Alphinaud's heads together like The Three Stooges whenever they get out of line.

Sadly, Y'shtola is indisposed and Tataru is too short.

This is why the writers should have kept Moenbryda around longer

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Maxwell Lord posted:

Now I'm sad.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Maxwell Lord posted:

She really got done dirty by the story.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Regalingualius posted:

I’m slightly disappointed that Paladin is the only job that uses shields, because I just realized that there was a missed opportunity for a Marauder Shields shoutout

White and Black Mages use shields :colbert:

(ARR counts dammit!)

NyoroEevee
May 21, 2020

Qwertycoatl posted:

White and Black Mages use shields :colbert:

(ARR counts dammit!)

I wholeheartedly agree; my set of Tidal Wand + Tidal Buckler and Allagan Scepter/Tremor Cudgel/Inferno Cudgel + Ancient Buckler have been ready to go in my Armory Chest for ages, ready for use at a moment's notice!

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Feldegast42 posted:

She really got done dirty by the story.

Even Noraxia was in the Scions longer than Moenbryda.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

NyoroEevee posted:

I wholeheartedly agree; my set of Tidal Wand + Tidal Buckler and Allagan Scepter/Tremor Cudgel/Inferno Cudgel + Ancient Buckler have been ready to go in my Armory Chest for ages, ready for use at a moment's notice!

It's really sad you can't freely glam those in, though I know the reasons why

Kerzoro
Jun 26, 2010

as I pretty much leveled up through the entire game using BLM when I started, I'm pretty glad I didn't have to, well, deal with cross-class skills.

Having to level up other classes just to mix and match getting skills? Kind of a pain in the rear end. That went double for tanks too.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Kerzoro posted:

as I pretty much leveled up through the entire game using BLM when I started, I'm pretty glad I didn't have to, well, deal with cross-class skills.

Having to level up other classes just to mix and match getting skills? Kind of a pain in the rear end. That went double for tanks too.

Not only that, you had to level two classes to get your job stone! Back in ARR they really wanted to force people to engage with the whole "play any class on one character" thing, it was weird.

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

An artifact of 1.0 gameplay as I understand it; I'm very glad it got reworked before I even gave it a shot for the first time because man, having to cross-class just to do your job sounds awful.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

It was!

Poor melee DPS had to all level dragoon to the 40s to get a cooldown, I think every caster had to level black mage for swiftcase, provoke was a cross class skill so you might run into warriors that didn't have it...

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Hellioning posted:

It was!

Poor melee DPS had to all level dragoon to the 40s to get a cooldown, I think every caster had to level black mage for swiftcase, provoke was a cross class skill so you might run into warriors that didn't have it...

I had THM at 28 for all of HW because of this.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

I’m reminded of how FF Tactics did something really similar when they made Dark Knight, previously a guest party member job only, into a player attainable one in the rerelease, but made it such a total pain in the rear end that it just wasn’t worth it unless you really wanted it. Off the top of my head, it involved:

-Maxing out Knight and Black Mage, which were on two different trees for Job advancement;
-Almost maxing out a few other physical-oriented Jobs; and
-Getting 20 killing blows, which doesn’t sound too bad on paper… except that really meant waiting for the corpse to fully despawn, which took 3 of the corpse’s turns (a long time in the game’s system), so you’d usually just have to kill all but one of the enemy team and then twiddle your thumbs while you waited out the clock.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I only played the original playstation tactics so was very confused by your post until I just came back to it and saw the word "rerelease." I read that as "release" at first.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Regalingualius posted:

-Getting 20 killing blows, which doesn’t sound too bad on paper… except that really meant waiting for the corpse to fully despawn, which took 3 of the corpse’s turns (a long time in the game’s system), so you’d usually just have to kill all but one of the enemy team and then twiddle your thumbs while you waited out the clock.

If you're not already harvesting souls for precious precious abilities, what are you even doing. It's faster to let an enemy crystalize than it is to farm the JP to actually buy skills.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

It sounds like the remake of FFT is quite a bit different than the original.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Mr. Nice! posted:

It sounds like the remake of FFT is quite a bit different than the original.

It's the same game with a different localization of the script, and a couple more side quests, story battles, and cut scenes. They also added two new jobs, Onion Knight and Dark Knight. OK was (poorly) designed to reward you for mastering every job on one character, and Dark Knight turned your character into an unstoppable death god.

The PSP version also had a set of multiplayer battles that didn't make it into the iOS/Android rerelease.