Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Doji Sekushi posted:

Saw this yesterday.

What is the point of the spray head permanently piped in by the box? Seems awfully close to the meter box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

IncredibleIgloo posted:

What is the point of the spray head permanently piped in by the box? Seems awfully close to the meter box.

That's peak lovely NJ shore house outdoor shower.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

With a convenient viewing window!

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

PainterofCrap posted:

With a convenient viewing window!

Could be like that scene in fast times at ridgemont high

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Platystemon posted:

That’s not cold enough to warrant a fireplace.

Adelaide houses are also built to vent heat as quickly as possible!

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Could be like that scene in fast times at ridgemont high

*cue Phoebe Cates being electrocuted in slo-mo*
*Springsteen's I'm On Fire plays gently*

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

PainterofCrap posted:

*cue Phoebe Cates being electrocuted in slo-mo*
*Springsteen's I'm On Fire plays gently*

:sbahj:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Unrelated sus electrical work

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Why the nails?

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
because they lost the grub screw for that clamp, obviously :rolleyes:

you can see an intact version in the back to the left, holding a black cable

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

I thought this was a reference to Jesus Christ whom you may meet sooner than expected if this is your house.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I'm wondering where that conduit goes if not through the punch-outs.

And, as a follow up, what aren't we seeing where the conduit and box meet? :stare:

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Warmachine posted:

I'm wondering where that conduit goes if not through the punch-outs.

And, as a follow up, what aren't we seeing where the conduit and box meet? :stare:

Jagged edges of the box rubbing against the wire insulation where they cut holes instead of using the punch outs?

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Arrath posted:

Jagged edges of the box rubbing against the wire insulation where they cut holes instead of using the punch outs?

The edges of the knock-outs are frequently not all that smooth either, the wire doesn't come into contact with the edges because it's running through the conduit which extends through the KO into the box where you secure it with a nut.

The KOs are for convenience. You're allowed to make your own holes. You can use a nibbler or a step bit.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

My lunchtime reading of home improvement disasters found this thread: Me n gf just bought this house, didn’t see it before offer, and waived inspection. The house seems like junk from top to bottom idk what to do, we are overwhelmed and feel like we probably screwed up. We knew it needed roof and windows, but the whole place is crap it seems :( please help (self.HomeImprovement)

Op demonstrates how well property listing photos can hide a home's true condition.

Expectation: https://imgur.com/a/fTGVPKd
Reality: https://imgur.com/a/rcCuiLk

They paid $20k over ask for this place.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Even the "expectation" pictures look like poo poo.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
The cherry on top of that poo poo sunday is they aren't even married.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

ngl I lived in a place like that for a few years growing up, over the course of the first 6 months we did an enormous amount of major renovation and then polished for the next like 3 years at our leisure

you can do it but you have to have skills and you have to know what you're getting into

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

couldcareless posted:

The cherry on top of that poo poo sunday is they aren't even married.

...so?

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

I think that’s less of a social judgment and more of a logistical one - if this garbage fire of a house breaks them up, they can’t just hit da bricks, they’ll have to go through their own mini-divorce to deal with this house that, likely, neither of them would want ownership of or liability for once it’s declared a Superfund site.

EDIT: of course, they have the same problem if they were married, but they’d be going through the divorce anyway.

Blue Moonlight fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jul 5, 2022

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

It means they’re going to be living in sin!

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Blue Moonlight posted:

I think that’s less of a social judgment and more of a logistical one - if this garbage fire of a house breaks them up, they can’t just hit da bricks, they’ll have to go through their own mini-divorce to deal with this house that, likely, neither of them would want ownership of or liability for once it’s declared a Superfund site.

EDIT: of course, they have the same problem if they were married, but they’d be going through the divorce anyway.

I was thinking more along the lines of the house we bought:
Unmarried couple buy fixer upper, one of them does a lot of work to it themselves, the other contributes in some fashion. Breakup comes down the line and we get a sweet deal and they get to settle their equity between lawyers.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Ah.

Paying $20k over asking and skipping the inspection, I'm sure that won't cause problems in their relationship then.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Potato Salad posted:

ngl I lived in a place like that for a few years growing up, over the course of the first 6 months we did an enormous amount of major renovation and then polished for the next like 3 years at our leisure

you can do it but you have to have skills and you have to know what you're getting into

In isolation, you can absolutely repair that house. Paying over asking and no knowing what you're getting into hurts though.

I'd focus on the infrastructure, heat cooling water and power, the main bedroom and the living room for appearances. Then chip away at the rest and be proud of the work.

I'm also a maniac who spends my weekends working part time on my house and my hobbies. I basically just work all the time and play at night.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Yeah like if the foundation is good and there aren't any obvious death traps behind the walls then maybe you get out with fixing the roof, dealing with drainage / weatherproofing, and the rest is largely cosmetic or quality of life (still a lot of work and I am hand-waiving a very high chance of awful plumbing and electrical).

But judging by his reddit comments he's blaming his partner for finalizing the deal and I'm not sure he's on the mortgage :cripes:

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
So it's a bit of a fixer-upper
So they got a few flaws
Like their peculiar brains dear
The thing thing with the drain there
They're a little outside of marriage laws!
So they're a bit of a fixer-upper
But this we’re certain of
You can fix this fixer-upper up with

StormDrain posted:

• infrastructure
  • heat
  • cooling
  • water
  • power
  • main bedroom and the living room for appearances

Then chip away at the rest

... A little bit of looooove!

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

The Dave posted:

But judging by his reddit comments he's blaming his partner for finalizing the deal and I'm not sure he's on the mortgage :cripes:

His reddit comments outside that thread say that the reason he has no money to fix things up is because he spends it all on guns and Funko pops. :rip:

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Sirotan posted:

His reddit comments outside that thread say that the reason he has no money to fix things up is because he spends it all on guns and Funko pops. :rip:

They sound like a perfect couple.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Sirotan posted:

Oh no the sympathy jar is all-of-a-sudden completely empty!

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Blue Moonlight posted:

Assuming they’re both even on the mortgage, finance people can get weird about putting unmarried people on a note or policy.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Wasabi the J posted:

So it's a bit of a fixer-upper
So they got a few flaws
Like their peculiar brains dear
The thing thing with the drain there
They're a little outside of marriage laws!
So they're a bit of a fixer-upper
But this we’re certain of
You can fix this fixer-upper up with

... A little bit of looooove!

lol goddamn

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

I hope that person hires a random stranger they just met on the street to fix their roof / foundation / whatever. Beautiful. Amazing.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Sirotan posted:

Please help my home is delqpidated!

Buy fewer guns and funko pops and spend it on your dwelling.

No.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Did these people not have the realtor do like a Facetime tour or anything? He says they did a "virtual video tour" but if it's not live where you can tell the person what to look at, that's not any better than pictures.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
I don't really read the R/relationships thread in GBS, but I bet this couple shows up there soon.

AITA for paying too much for a house without an inspection and then not having enough money to fix because I spend money on Funko pops and guns?

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

Use the guns and figurines to fill up all the holes that are sure to be found.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

The Dave posted:

Oh no the sympathy jar is all-of-a-sudden completely empty!

This post collided in my brain with the goon in a well idea and... something else, returning:

Guys, quit cumming in the sympathy jar.

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

Did these people not have the realtor do like a Facetime tour or anything? He says they did a "virtual video tour" but if it's not live where you can tell the person what to look at, that's not any better than pictures.

In some parts of the country, including my area, you currently don't have time for the normal process of evaluating a property before making an offer. Any property that shows up on the market is gone in less than a day unless it's significantly over-priced.

urzaserra256
Nov 29, 2009
It looks like the tour and realtor photos were with the place full of furniture and appliances which happened to hide a lot of the issues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sporklift
Aug 3, 2008

Feelin' it so hard.

I have been using Dall-e 2 to generate images for my favorite threads. Here are some AI generated crappy construtions that still aren't as bad as some of the nightmare fuel in this thread.

“photograph of a house two stories high multiple gutters brick and vinyl siding and a dangerous door unique and dangerous stairs all windows are different sizes and shapes”

sporklift fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jul 6, 2022