Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Bakugo literally might turn Shigaraki’s main body into Swiss cheese. That’s a lot of firepower stored up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

It's thematically-satisfying to see Bakugo face off against Shigaraki and this bullshit rhetoric he's spewing. Not only has Bakugo seen that people can change, he's also made so much progress as a person compared to the start of the manga, where he's exactly the sort of person who benefited from the disparity Shiggy mentioned.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Bakugou's attacks being effective would directly imply that normal munitions would also be effective.

It's basically an issue that a lot of superpowers stories run into - a lot of powers are objectively less effective than normal firearms/artillery if lethal force is involved. For all its (pretty long list of) faults, the web serial Worm was good about coming up with superpowers that could conceivably grant power even in a modern society with all its existing weapons. Other comics usually either ignore this entirely (MHA) or resort to making their characters into absurdly powerful demigods (Marvel/DC). Another way you can get around the issue is by limiting their use to non-lethal situations (which MHA does some), but usually escalation takes stories beyond that.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I like how modern weaponry is still effective in Hunter x Hunter.

Unless you're, like, crazy strong like Uvogin, a good gun can kill or maim you even if you're protected by nen.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I kind of always had the impression that any nen user who got their nen the old-fashioned way could no-sell bullets, maybe not by standing there and taking them but by just having the physical prowess to weave through a mob of gunmen. That’s just me though.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Ytlaya posted:

Bakugou's attacks being effective would directly imply that normal munitions would also be effective.

It's basically an issue that a lot of superpowers stories run into - a lot of powers are objectively less effective than normal firearms/artillery if lethal force is involved. For all its (pretty long list of) faults, the web serial Worm was good about coming up with superpowers that could conceivably grant power even in a modern society with all its existing weapons. Other comics usually either ignore this entirely (MHA) or resort to making their characters into absurdly powerful demigods (Marvel/DC). Another way you can get around the issue is by limiting their use to non-lethal situations (which MHA does some), but usually escalation takes stories beyond that.

This goes back to the elephant in the room of Japan's response to the League literally leveling entire cities, throwing whole portions of the country into full Mad Max anarchy breakdown, and killing thousands of people is "deploy a small, scrappy hero taskforce and call for other countries to send some heroes" and not "deploy the JSDF and shoot any league members on sight because the fight is now existential". The heroes are already at the point where they're straight up trying to kill Shigaraki so I think we're beyond the story being worried over the use of lethal force by the government.

A couple of the League can plausibly not get killed immediately by modern weaponry - Super Shigaraki, AFO, Gigantomachia - but the vast majority of them would likely be shockingly vulnerable to the ultimate quirk, "Gun".

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Kanos posted:

This goes back to the elephant in the room of Japan's response to the League literally leveling entire cities, throwing whole portions of the country into full Mad Max anarchy breakdown, and killing thousands of people is "deploy a small, scrappy hero taskforce and call for other countries to send some heroes" and not "deploy the JSDF and shoot any league members on sight because the fight is now existential". The heroes are already at the point where they're straight up trying to kill Shigaraki so I think we're beyond the story being worried over the use of lethal force by the government.

A couple of the League can plausibly not get killed immediately by modern weaponry - Super Shigaraki, AFO, Gigantomachia - but the vast majority of them would likely be shockingly vulnerable to the ultimate quirk, "Gun".

It'd be really fun if this ends with Deku just pulling out a pistol and shooting Shigaraki without even having a big final anime fight. Everyone's just left standing there wondering why they even bothered.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Kanos posted:

Where IS Snipe?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

If guns can't even stop that no-good Monkey D. Luffy I don't see how we can trust them to defeat Shigaraki

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Ironically guns are much more effective in One Piece than they are in Hunter x Hunter, even though the average One Piece character would be an AfO-level threat in most other series. Canary got shot in the head in HxH and just kind of got over it iirc.

Nuebot posted:

It'd be really fun if this ends with Deku just pulling out a pistol and shooting Shigaraki without even having a big final anime fight. Everyone's just left standing there wondering why they even bothered.

"Did you really think you were the only ones who could make quirk-erasing bullets? Chisaki says hi."

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jul 5, 2022

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Kanos posted:

"but doctor we are the JSDF!"

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Electric Phantasm posted:

"but doctor we are the JSDF!"

Joking aside, this might actually be the case in MHA - we've not seen any military types at all outside of the pilots that were with Stars and Stripes, who were Americans. We've seen a lot of cops and prison guards and guard robots but no actual army folks. It's pretty silly if that's the case, but I'm not sure if "Japan doesn't think the League is enough of a threat to bring in the army" or "In MHA, Japan doesn't have a conventional army at all beyond pro heroes despite us being given evidence that a child with an old revolver is horribly dangerous to trainee heroes with good combat quirks" is a bigger worldbuilding hole.

In cape comic settings, either the scale is kept low so that calling in the military simply wouldn't happen(your Vigilantes or your Spiderman stuff), or the military is shown to exist but you're given reasons why it can't simply solve the problem and the heroes are important(Justice League level stuff, Superman, the Avengers movies, etc).

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The cops show up to the hideout way back at the raid with swat and guns didn't help much. Also all the robots at Tartarus had guns.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

I would watch a movie about MHA's military and how it works. I've always felt that this would be a much better way to do these sorts of tie-in movies. Instead of glorified filler, do some interesting world-building with it. Or do some kind of What-If spin on the actual series like if Mirio got One for All or if Bakugo was the quirkless one.

This applies to other series too. If there was a movie about Nami getting the Gomu Gomu no mi and kicking Arlongs rear end or showing Law's adventures as a newbie pirate I'd lap that poo poo up.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Fabricated posted:

The cops show up to the hideout way back at the raid with swat and guns didn't help much. Also all the robots at Tartarus had guns.
They weren't using them appropriately. The trick is not to use the gun in service to your story, it's to make the story in service to the gun. Just ask mil-SF authors!

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Fabricated posted:

The reason I brought up Bakugou specifically is that his powers are literally just "explosives," which also exist outside of the realm of superpowers. Guns not working against people like Shigaraki makes perfect sense (though they'd work against most of the other heroes and villains we've been shown*), but if Bakugou can do damage, then so can an RPG or something.

Off the top of my head, the only heroes that could deal with bullets are:
- Kirishima
- Shoto sorta (guess he could conceivably protect himself with walls of ice)
- Brainwash guy, whose powers are absurd and could basically let him beat anyone in the series who isn't deaf or a holder of OfA/AfO
- Cement Guy
- Guy who makes a lot of ghost clone things
- Maybe Kamui Woods, depending on whether his body can regenerate or something
- Maybe Tokoyami's shadows could block them?
- Mount Lady could maybe shrug off some bullets
- Same with dragon lady hero
- I'm going to go out on a limb and assume that maybe All Might/Deku can become durable enough with OfA, given what we've seen All Might endure

Nuebot posted:

I mean, we did have actual military weapons used against him during the Stars and Stripes fight that he no-sold to show how powerful he is. In terms of power, Shigaraki probably fits into the DC/Marvel "ludicrous unkillable demigod" mold at this point.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

Off the top of my head, the only heroes that could deal with bullets are:
- Kirishima
- Shoto sorta (guess he could conceivably protect himself with walls of ice)
- Brainwash guy, whose powers are absurd and could basically let him beat anyone in the series who isn't deaf or a holder of OfA/AfO
- Cement Guy
- Guy who makes a lot of ghost clone things
- Maybe Kamui Woods, depending on whether his body can regenerate or something
- Maybe Tokoyami's shadows could block them?
- Mount Lady could maybe shrug off some bullets
- Same with dragon lady hero
- I'm going to go out on a limb and assume that maybe All Might/Deku can become durable enough with OfA, given what we've seen All Might endure

You're ignoring the guy who actually got shot in the series. Repeatedly. And it didn't do poo poo.

Tetsutetsu Tetsutetsu is explicitly bulletproof. We also see Deku fight guys with automatic weapons in the first movie, and he kicks their asses easily.

We have on-screen proof that, on the high end, regular guns don't work.

(Of course, if you want a manga where "gun" is a good enough power to take down recurring named characters, there's always Chainsaw Man.)

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
tetsutetsu said that it hurt like a bastard when he was shot even after steeling up

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

tetsutetsu said that it hurt like a bastard when he was shot even after steeling up

Yeah but I say the same thing when I get shot with a paintball gun

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
Deku fought guys with machine guns in the first movie and just dodged all the bullets.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MHA is a superhero comic and guns are basically ineffectual in superhero comics even if the protagonist's power is Gun.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
The same is true of most action anime so it's double true here. As long as you have a bit of martial arts training you can just roll/flip/zigzag through automatic fire and you'll be fine.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DqHfrIfIQJs

Never rely on a gun unless it fires a laser

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Obviously stories can be written such that characters can dodge bullets who shouldn't be able to given their stated powers (like Deku in this case), but it's just kinda lame.

It's definitely probable that Deku could defeat people with guns, but in a "he can probably move fast enough to beat them before they can shoot him" way that is basically a roll of the dice until he inevitably gets unlucky. I still put him in the list of "heroes who can deal with guns," though.

My original point wasn't even about guns specifically, though, but instead military equipment in general. The heroes actually make plenty of sense for law enforcement, since the goal is almost always to non-lethally detain and their powers are usually good for that. They just stop making sense in a conflict like the current one where "as much destructive power as possible" is beneficial (which basic military hardware is better at than all except for a few heroes).

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

Obviously stories can be written such that characters can dodge bullets who shouldn't be able to given their stated powers (like Deku in this case), but it's just kinda lame.

It's definitely probable that Deku could defeat people with guns, but in a "he can probably move fast enough to beat them before they can shoot him" way that is basically a roll of the dice until he inevitably gets unlucky. I still put him in the list of "heroes who can deal with guns," though.

My original point wasn't even about guns specifically, though, but instead military equipment in general. The heroes actually make plenty of sense for law enforcement, since the goal is almost always to non-lethally detain and their powers are usually good for that. They just stop making sense in a conflict like the current one where "as much destructive power as possible" is beneficial (which basic military hardware is better at than all except for a few heroes).

Again this is just part of superhero genre. It is the genre where Hawkeye, the man with a bow and arrow, is considered a world-saving asset. Superheroes are always going to be better than the military.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Deku: Im glad you changed your last name you son of a bitch

https://youtu.be/4cZqRzHnI8s

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Guns have actually been devastating in MHA, it’s just that they need to shoot pointy needles full of liquid to achieve this

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
I get kind of tired of people rushing to smugly adjust their glasses and go "HEH *snort* just use GUN" every time cape stuff is discussed. Also Worm is loving terrible and I might rip out my own eyes the next time I see some chucklefuck kramer into a thread to shill it.

Although re: does Japan have a military: am I misremembering or weren't those huge robots from the entrance exam (and at Tartarus) said to be sold to the JSDF?

Rhonne posted:

Deku fought guys with machine guns in the first movie and just dodged all the bullets.

Was it that movie or sometime in the series where we see All Might shrug off a bunch of automatic fire like it isn't even there? I feel like I remember this.

Flesnolk fucked around with this message at 05:53 on Jul 6, 2022

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

If the sensors at Tartarus detected All For One activating a quirk, someone shows up to give him a stern talking to.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Nessus posted:

If guns can't even stop that no-good Monkey D. Luffy I don't see how we can trust them to defeat Shigaraki

Hey, guns took down Whitebeard and he was actually cool.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

hatty posted:

Deku: Im glad you changed your last name you son of a bitch

https://youtu.be/4cZqRzHnI8s

This is how MHA ended in the timeline where Hori didn't change the mentor hero from Snipe to All Might.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Flesnolk posted:

I get kind of tired of people rushing to smugly adjust their glasses and go "HEH *snort* just use GUN" every time cape stuff is discussed.
I think in some thematic spaces it makes sense to at least like, gesture at why hails of high velocity gunfire don't address every issue, but at a certain point it does feel more like "please make sure to acknowledge the importance of your master, the high-powered firearm, even when reading superhero comics from Japan."

Interestingly, DBZ just straight up addresses this and nobody seems to come back to it, so maybe all shonens going to America just need a scene where it's verified that, yes, standard commercial firearms will not significantly affect Our Heroes.

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM

Ytlaya posted:

Only in a pure 1v1. As a reminder, a light bump is enough to knock people out of his mind control.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Flesnolk posted:

I get kind of tired of people rushing to smugly adjust their glasses and go "HEH *snort* just use GUN" every time cape stuff is discussed. Also Worm is loving terrible and I might rip out my own eyes the next time I see some chucklefuck kramer into a thread to shill it.

Although re: does Japan have a military: am I misremembering or weren't those huge robots from the entrance exam (and at Tartarus) said to be sold to the JSDF?

Was it that movie or sometime in the series where we see All Might shrug off a bunch of automatic fire like it isn't even there? I feel like I remember this.
The only people I know that are that into worm seem to be subsections of certain websites. In terms of comic book fandoms I never heard of Worm being mentioned.

I think so regarding the film, but I haven't watched it in a while so I can't give a timestamp and name of film for proper citation.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
I think it's somewhat important for authors to establish why Gun wouldn't solve 90% of all problems for heroes and villains alike, and I don't really think MHA does a good job of this. In any given fight, a Dude With A Gun honestly has a good chance of being the strongest fighter in the room, especially if it's against someone like Aizawa. It's not massively important and I understand that authors would rather just skip that part and write stories about weird powers, but that doesn't mean it doesn't bother me.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

AfO is a interesting dilemma with regards to imprisonment.

He's functionally immortal, and way past the life expectancy of an average quirkless person.

At what point is the burden of imprisoning him too great on society to justify keeping him alive? Or not actively executing him? Especially since that "immortality" was gained through criminal means, at the direct and violent expense of other people.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Flesnolk posted:

Worm isn't good, but its approach to superpowers is still more interesting than most other stories that involve them, though that's not exactly a high bar to clear.

(Also, as bad as it is, most actual superhero comics sure as hell aren't meaningfully better)

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

If MHA had never mentioned guns it wouldn't be something I'd think about, except we had a major fight in the series where Mustard pulled a lovely old revolver on two other major characters and nearly killed them with it and was treated as a huge threat despite one of them having a quirk that would theoretically be one of the best quirks we've seen against guns, implying that this world isn't just working off DBZ physics where guns do nothing to protagonists and can be safely ignored.

chiasaur11 posted:

You're ignoring the guy who actually got shot in the series. Repeatedly. And it didn't do poo poo.

Tetsutetsu Tetsutetsu is explicitly bulletproof. We also see Deku fight guys with automatic weapons in the first movie, and he kicks their asses easily.

We have on-screen proof that, on the high end, regular guns don't work.

(Of course, if you want a manga where "gun" is a good enough power to take down recurring named characters, there's always Chainsaw Man.)

Snipe shot Shigaraki repeatedly in deliberately nonlethal areas instead of trying to shoot him in the brain or the heart because Snipe is a hero and at that point the situation wasn't remotely desperate enough for heroes to try to kill villains, and Tetsutetsu nearly died to Mustard's lovely old revolver because there was a limit to how much punishment he could take.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Tetsutetsu only got hurt after being shot several times in the same spot at point-blank range. The real problem in that fight was the gas since he was having to stop himself from breathing it in after his mask got destroyed and it was weakening him. The impact of the shots were pushing him back but without the gas I think he could have just rushed Mustard no prob.

But really it's the superhero speed that does it. Even "normal" people like Bakugo, Overhaul and Toga can keep up with or outspeed Deku when he's using Full Cowl and we've seen that he can dodge automatic fire. Shigaraki was basically flashstepping in USJ. When people can be faster than bullets even without a speed quirk its easy to imagine why they aren't used much.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Jul 6, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
You can basically become a ninja in this setting with enough training, but then I'd imagine that "ninja with a gun" would also be extremely effective, so the question of "why don't dudes just use guns" remains