Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Fellas, is it pedo to motion capture a 72 year old woman?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Mameluke posted:

This Sigourney thing is pedo poo poo and I guess Cameron will make another two billy by introducing the concept of the alien child who is actually really old to Western audiences

Still laughing at this and the fact that there is a 100% possibility of some future poster saying that it's just xenoephebophilia.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Mameluke posted:

This Sigourney thing is pedo poo poo and I guess Cameron will make another two billy by introducing the concept of the alien child who is actually really old to Western audiences

no no you come to the next page

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

They won't be successful forever, they will eventually flub one and underperform

They already have a few times, they just kept going and eventually there's another big one and everyone forgets the failure.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

what about Boss Baby, is that pedo poo poo?

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

How about Baby Geniuses?

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Who the hells raising all these Muppet Babies?

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Weaver might be non-verbal, perhaps using Sign Language, as it'd tie in well with her Goodall and other people who've communicated cross-species.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

I'm hearing that Thor 4 is basically full creative control Taika and really gay but not quite as much as Our Flag Means Death which can explain the backlash.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

When you've been as successful as Marvel has, there's a bunch of people waiting in the wings with knives out. They won't be successful forever, they will eventually flub one and underperform, and then they'll be beset by critics. At that point, it will be really interesting to see what happens, if they pull a DC and completely retool and make a mess of everything, or if they stick to their guns. I would bet they are more disciplined than the DC guys but it's hard to say what will happen until it actually happens.
I kind of find the idea that Marvel Studios operates on Democratic Centralism pretty funny

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Darko posted:

I'm hearing that Thor 4 is basically full creative control Taika and really gay but not quite as much as Our Flag Means Death which can explain the backlash.

So far, the main things the negative reviews seem to agree on is:

- Too wacky and absurd.

- The humor is like everything else Taika does. The deadpan delivery and absurdist premises are the same thing he did in What We Do in the Shadows, which was the same thing they did in Hunt for the Wilderpeople, which was the same thing they did in Jojo Rabbit, which was the same thing he did in Thor: Ragnarok, which is (apparently) the same thing he did in Thor: Love and Thunder. If you like Taika's style, then it is good. But, if you want something new in terms of humor style, then you aren't getting it. It's Taika Waititi just doing his most Waititi.

- Feels like a campy parody of a superhero movie and not a "real" superhero movie. Makes Thor too jokey and absurd.

- Related to the "too wacky" complaint is that there is apparently a really dark dramatic plot arc that multiple critics say is brutally sad I'm guessing it is the cancer plot from the comics. that makes the movie feel like "a collision of competing tones, subplots, conceptual big swings and chaos masquerading as pathos" and that it "Attempts to balance the jokey tone of "Ragnarok" with themes and plot points that would feel more at home in an Ingmar Bergman film, while it does both well, they cancel each other out."

- Too much like a Rom-Com.

- Not universal, but a lot of critics claimed it was too absurd to follow and they got lost trying to follow the plot. (Which sounds crazy to me. Taika does some weird things, but literally being unable to understand the plot of a Thor movie sounds wild.)

- Another set of frequent, but not universal, criticisms are that some people find the movie to be "too gay" and another group are upset that it "isn't gay enough" because Valkyrie's love life is less prominent than Thor's.

It's currently "Fresh" on Rotten Tomatoes with 71%. But, a lot of publications don't actually have full reviews out yet for some reason.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Jul 6, 2022

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I never cared for Thor - either in the comics nor any of the movies - and never really thought he fit into the MCU either. He just seems like some weird outlier whose character belongs in its own self contained universe to me. Hemsworth is OK I guess but I've never seen him carry a film that I liked. Ragnarok had its moments but I didn't like it as much as most people.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Mameluke posted:

Nobody gives a poo poo and they can't remember the characters' names or one drat thing that happened in the movie about Avatar

I've never understood the name thing. Like, dang, I have seen a lot of very excellent movies in which I wouldn't be able to give the character names of even if I had a gun to my head.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Though heck I've never even seen Avatar and even I know that the main character is named Jake Sully.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Sounds like they doubled down on the stuff I didn't like in Ragnarok, so I'll maybe check it out when it hits Disney+.

I recently watched the first Thor film and I enjoyed it quite a bit. The action is really bad and poorly shot and the humor falls flat but the characters have a gravitas to them that was lost over time. They feel larger than life without being constantly snarky and dropping quips. The bad humor was also blink and miss it instead of being drawn out like it was in Ragnarok and it was at least appropriately placed, for the most part, instead of undercutting dramatic beats. The film still holds up and feels completely different compared to the stuff we're getting in the MCU today.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Having just seen Thor, those reviews and assessments are pretty spot on. The plot is a mess of ideas that individually would likely be fine but coexisting in the same movie proves problematic. The movie also regularly cuts into the action with Korg narrating how we got to this point in the story. It works well enough in the beginning as a recap of the series, but gets a bit annoying when it happens in the middle. We also get another recap of past events when Matt Damon shows up for a live dramatization of Odin's death at the New Asgard theatre troupe.

The movie is gay but not as gay as it could be. We learn that Korg's people are all male and so they all have two dads, but if they're all male, then it's not really something different even if one of those dad's is rocking a Freddie Mercury mustache. Valkyrie's love life gets a little bit of mention and a brief moment of screen time, but it's hardly a focus. A kid in Asgard rejects his Viking name and chooses a new identity that Thor has to accept, but it's not anything to do with being trans or non-binary, just a rejection of tradition and more a broader statement about living your own best life. So it's there, but it's still pretty mild unless just the mention of same sex couples or having to respect people and their preferred names causes you to lose your mind, which yeah at this point in the culture war it sure does seem to be doing that to people.

The last battle is the most bonkers one we've seen in a Marvel movie and while fun would work a lot better if the parts leading up to it didn't feel somewhere between Full House-cheesy and just sort of emotionally empty. The second scene with Thor and the captured kids felt really off to me and I kept expecting the kids to transform into Gorr after Thor disappeared revealing that it was part of his trap, but it didn't happen. All the little Thors running around blasting lightning with their stuffed animals was loving awesome though.

If you like Thor and Waititi, it's fine. If you want something that gives very serious topics [spoilers](cancer)[/spoilers] the gravity they deserve, it doesn't really do that.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Korg's people are just stone Moclans. Rocklans, if you will.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Mameluke posted:

Lol, just call Cameron a groomer already.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

teagone posted:

Lol, just call Cameron a groomer already.

Once again, someone throwing out a totally non-sequitur "pedo" allegation is probably just telling on themselves.

"It's pedo poo poo that this teenaged character will be voiced by a 72-year-old!" What? Sigourney Weaver's 72-year-old voice is so inherently sexual, hearing it come out of a teenaged CG catgirl must be an intentional effort to sexualize a child? Like, there's no possibility that Cameron has an unrelated plot reason for the casting, or that Weaver's mo-cap performance as a 14-year-old could be anything other than some kind of hypersexual Lolita type?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Being a pedo is very serious, which is why I scream it at everyone on the flimsiest evidence and in bad faith as much as I can. I'm helping, somehow!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

- Too wacky and absurd.

- The humor is like everything else Taika does. The deadpan delivery and absurdist premises are the same thing he did in What We Do in the Shadows, which was the same thing they did in Hunt for the Wilderpeople, which was the same thing they did in Jojo Rabbit, which was the same thing he did in Thor: Ragnarok, which is (apparently) the same thing he did in Thor: Love and Thunder. If you like Taika's style, then it is good. But, if you want something new in terms of humor style, then you aren't getting it. It's Taika Waititi just doing his most Waititi.

- Feels like a campy parody of a superhero movie and not a "real" superhero movie. Makes Thor too jokey and absurd.

Yea this is kinda what I was thinking would happen when I saw the trailer. Waititi did a great job of walking that fine line in Ragnarok but it seemed likely to me that with the success of that movie he'd probably end up going over the edge if he did another one. And I'm sure it's fine if you just want a wacky superhero parody but the reason Ragnarok was good was that it worked on both levels. It's a tough balance to strike so him hitting the target twice in a row always seemed improbable to me.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

When you say "most bonkers final fight scene" ever, do you mean in a visually entertaining way, a conceptual/chorographical way, or a chaotic/busy way?

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Just give me a thumbs up or down on Natalie Portman's Mighty Thor, please?

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Cinema Discusso > Comic Book Movies: The movie is gay but not as gay as it could be

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Bogus Adventure posted:

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Cinema Discusso > Comic Book Movies: The movie is gay but not as gay as it could be

:rip: Joel Schumacher

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Edward Mass posted:

:rip: Joel Schumacher

Lol

Also, while I cannot say that I love Batman and Robin as a Batman movie, I love that it exists because it is an objectively funny disasterpiece.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

hiddenriverninja posted:

Just give me a thumbs up or down on Natalie Portman's Mighty Thor, please?

Big thumbs up. The performances are all great.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

When you say "most bonkers final fight scene" ever, do you mean in a visually entertaining way, a conceptual/chorographical way, or a chaotic/busy way?

All of the above really, but in a positive way. Taika correctly clocks that the audience is genre savvy enough to know that this doesn't really matter and so decides to go over the top with it and just embrace how silly final battles are. The main plot is that Thor has to rescue a bunch of children from Gorr, who is actually using them as bait to steal Stormbringer. In the finale, Thor knights all the kids as temporary little Thors and they battle an army of shadow monsters with whatever items are on hand, now possessed with the powers of Mjolnir. This includes a little girl firing lightning from the mouth of her stuffed animal. It's all set to the guitar solo from November Rain.

Honestly the worst parts of the movie are Taika pointing a big finger at how dumb, conceptually, these movies all are. In Korg's first recap, he talks about Thor's companions all being killed, but refers to them as "whoever these guys were", which is funny on a meta level but also, yeah, these characters never mattered. He also does nothing with the Guardians. They're in the opening scene, loving hate Thor, and tell him good luck in his movie and fly off to have their own film on the other side of the universe. It's a real unforced error from Disney by making Taika follow the continuity of Endgame. Either commit to the bit or cut it I say.

We also got something of a Lost in Translation ending that I'm sure a subset of fans are going to be furious over. Jane is struggling to come up with a catchphrase throughout the film, so at her death scene she whispers her final suggestion into Thor's ear. He agrees that it's her best yet, but we never hear it. Obviously we don't need to, but people hated that ending in an otherwise perfect film, so they're going to loathe it here.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

that sounds pretty fun. do you think the reviews are bad because people are upset that it's treating MCU with the respect it deserves?

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

well why not posted:

that sounds pretty fun. do you think the reviews are bad because people are upset that it's treating MCU with the respect it deserves?

That would be my guess. It's a sci-fi action film based on a comic book property cataloguing the space adventures of the Norse God of Thunder who sometimes has to be a superhero on Earth working alongside one or more Spidermen. I can only imagine that letting that premise possess his mind for years led Taika to the conclusion that it was inherently silly and should be treated as such.

Basically every other scene has someone referring to Thor and the Asgardians as Space Vikings on Laser Space Adventures. There are screaming goats for no other reason than why wouldn't space goats scream all the time? Thor's space penis is celebrated by all. Thor's not embarrassed to show his goods, but because he has a big Loki tattoo across his back in memory of his brother. The end credits are set to Rainbow in the Dark because 80s and rainbow bridge I guess. The film is as dumb as it is charming and will probably be better on a second viewing when you have the complete picture of it in your head.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Sounds cool and fun, to me, a Taika Enjoyer. It's the inverse of the Snyder situation, where stories about Gods treat them with utmost sincerity. Which is cool, and good too, but not everyone can do.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

That sounds pretty Taika as hell and what I'm looking for, since all the "serious Marvel lore" is dumb.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I like the MCU stuff and I don't care if Taika makes jokes from it. Taika can do whatever he wants

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I just don't think it sounds like it pairs very well with the whole cancer thing.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Codependent Poster posted:

Taika can do whatever he wants

Except make a good movie

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

well why not posted:

This sounds like the reaction to MoM. At this point I'm expecting nearly Marvel movie to get it because it sounds like MCU fans actually want what they think Snyder is now.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

LesterGroans posted:

Except make a good movie

Never saw Hunt for the Wilderpeople or What We Do In The Shadows, I see.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Ghost Leviathan posted:

This sounds like the reaction to MoM. At this point I'm expecting nearly Marvel movie to get it because it sounds like MCU fans actually want what they think Snyder is now.

I saw a tweet about how Marvel doesn't take the MCU seriously anymore because there's a point in Ragnarok where we learn that in New Asgard someone opened a Thanos themed ice scream shop

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
A small price to pay for sprinkles.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I like Taika and hope he makes more good movies, but my fear is that he's becoming more of a brand or flavor rather than a director who is naturally growing and evolving. I'm optimistic for his Thor movie because I like that Ragnarok because he's not too precious with his heroes. But I would also like to see him do another quirky indie dramedy that feels like a progression of Boy or Wilderpeople, but whatever, dude gets to play with Marvel and Star Wars toys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Neo Rasa posted:

I saw a tweet about how Marvel doesn't take the MCU seriously anymore because there's a point in Ragnarok where we learn that in New Asgard someone opened a Thanos themed ice scream shop

Hulka hulka burning fudge