Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune

TraderStav posted:

I THINK the key thing that I learned here is that in my journey, I need to be a part of an ensemble to see the whole picture, then so many of my other issues fall away when I have the piece in context.

Playing with other people is, imo, the single best way to learn to play an instrument. It teaches so many fundamental skills and techniques naturally - playing in time and finding a groove, playing through mistakes, finding arrangements that sound cool, adding in those little bits that build up a song but sound like nothing on their own, having other ears listening to what you're doing and correcting problems or saying "maybe it would sound cooler if...", etc. I have a number of friends who have played in bands for years and don't have any training or background in theory at all, but just by playing with other people constantly have developed an ear for what sounds good in the context of a song. I wish I could play with other people personally but between working out of town a whole lot and a debilitating level of self criticism it makes it pretty tough so I just use backing tracks and play over songs, which is nowhere near as good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

The Fear posted:

I cut my strings into small lengths and feed em to pigeons ROCK N ROLL

I’m assuming this is stdh.txt but please do not encourage people to feed birds with guitar strings cut into small lengths to poison and kill them. User loses posting privileges for 1 day.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

Helianthus Annuus posted:

Rare new guitar day for me, this is the Firefly FFPR (means: PRS clone) with humbuckers and a 25" scale length! Sounds really good so far, but I will likely want to replace the pickups, as is per usual with this brand of guitar.

That’s pretty.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
Really dumb question but maybe someone knows - are Flying V bass bodies the same size as Flying V guitar bodies?

For the life of me, I can't find comparable dimensions on line, nor photos of a bass and guitar together*.

*(Yes, I googled ZZ Top and there is one photo with Flying V's but its not entirely clear if the bass is larger or just wide angle lens fuckery.)

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

800peepee51doodoo posted:

and a debilitating level of self criticism
S'up? My band fell apart and I haven't recorded anything since. It's been five months since the last cover tune I shat out for fun and since then I'm re-strung, tuned up... cannot play. I literally have eleven instruments sitting out. Every time I start to play I am defeated by hearing myself playing the same tired old poo poo that I can't even do well anymore. Instead of being inspired by all the great stuff I find on the internet it merely reminds me how little actual talent I have. So when I read this phrase, it resonated. :smith:

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Try not to be so hard on yourself. Creativity ebbs and flows.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

"I can't play Sultans of Swing, god I suck"

* doesn't touch guitar for 2 weeks *

My stress is dumber: I can't pick one guitar to play. I love the neck pickup in my LTD (Wolfetone Dr. Vintage), and the bridge pickup in my tele. The only obvious answer is to take the neck pickup out and make an Andy Summers/bluescaster kind of thing. Which pisses me off, because I could have just bought a really nice ASAT bluescaster for all the money I've spent dinking around with on these other two. Argh.

How the hell do people manage having a wall full of guitars, let alone two to choose from?

edit: I did learn a lesson from this, and sold the Katana Mini and Mustang Micro and just got what I originally liked all along: a Yamaha THR30ii. This thing is awesome.

luchadornado fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Jul 4, 2022

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Not being as good as Mark Knopfler is a common condition.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

luchadornado posted:

How the hell do people manage having a wall full of guitars, let alone two to choose from?

Keep them all in different tunings.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

If you've been looking at a Dr Robert pedal for awhile, now's the day to get one. 15% off sale direct from Aclam: https://reverb.com/item/21799131-dr-robert-aclam-guitars

havelock posted:

Keep them all in different tunings.

I could buy a third guitar, a strat, and keep it in in e flat..

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005

luchadornado posted:

try keeping them in your basement so they get destroyed by a flood, it worked for me

widefault
Mar 16, 2009

luchadornado posted:

Keep them all in racks and cases out of arms reach, then keep one on a stand within arms reach. Rotate every few days. Also helps to find the ones that need adjustments or new strings.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

Dr. Faustus posted:

So when I read this phrase, it resonated. :smith:

Its tough sometimes when it feels like I'm playing badly and its not fun and I start questioning why I spend so much time and money on this hobby that I rarely share with people and and and...

Self doubt and criticism sucks. Its got me to give up playing a number of times over the years. I keep coming back though, so when I get down on myself I try to keep in mind how much I've improved and how fun it is when everything comes together and I can nail a piece that was impossible to pull off previously. I also try to recognize when I'm not feeling it and just set the guitar down for the day if I start feeling negative.

Oh and yeah, the internet is such a blessing and a curse for motivation. Having all of that musical knowledge out there and available instantaneously is amazing, but then theres the big guitar community influencers or whatever that present themselves as capable of effortlessly performing staggeringly difficult pieces which often makes me feel like "I could never do anything like that, why bother even trying". I like it when those folks put up videos that show how much work it takes to look and sound effortless.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

As they say, comparison is the thief of joy. I bet y'all are a lot better players than you think you are. I bet if I watched your practice sessions you'd blow my face off.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

ColdPie posted:

As they say, comparison is the thief of joy.

Who says that? I'm going to chalk that one up to ColdPie.

Makes sense.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

I can definitely relate with what y'all are saying. I've been involved with music for a LONG time now, and basically all my friends and acquaintances are musicians. You really do have to avoid comparing yourself to others and just do what you do and find your own voice if you can. There is ALWAYS someone out there better than you. Paul Gilbert still looks at himself as a student for gently caress's sake.

If your goal is to create, then write some goddamn songs and make the best art you can. If you wanna be shreddy mcshredface the crack out that metronome and get to sweepin'. If you just wanna dick around in a band with your pals, then fuckin do it. There's a path to fulfillment for everyone in this stupid hobby, you just have to approach it the right way.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

I'm going to load up my sweet rear end Charvel with some 11s.

Pray for me.

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
sounds beefy

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Sweaty IT Nerd posted:

I'm going to load up my sweet rear end Charvel with some 11s.

Pray for me.
I tried that back when I was trying to do a blues band, I put 0.011s on and learned that while, yes, I was strong enough to play them and even like the way they sound; if I put the guitar down for so much as two days the next time I picked it up I'd be in for a paddlin'. I wasn't proud of myself when I accepted defeat but as Dirty Harry said, "A man's gotta know his limitations."
If I wanted to keep up with it I'd have to push those strings hard, daily, and though my tolerance for fingertip pain is "I don't acknowledge it until I can't fret anything at all" I was hitting that limit much much sooner. That was 1/2-step down.

Just reminding me now, my late buddy who played every day without fail put 11s on a guitar and made it his mission in life to remind me every time we spoke that he was tuned to standard. Dyck.

BTW thanks everybody for the encouragement. That was a loving rough night and I was really, really down. I updated my firmware in my modeler and played myself silly this morning.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

As BB King famously asked Billy Gibbons: "Why are you working so hard?"

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

As BB King famously asked Billy Gibbons: "Why are you working so hard?"

I got a ten pack so if I want freshies it's 11s or nothing so sunk cost fallacy I guess.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Whats so special about 11s? Acoustics are usually 12-53 and you just get used to it.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune
People don't generally do big bends and wide vibrato on acoustics the way they do on electric.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

800peepee51doodoo posted:

People don't generally do big bends and wide vibrato on acoustics the way they do on electric.

True enough.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Flats start at like 12, it absolutely sucks. My jazz guitar is in A=392 (aka D standard) because I can't do full barre chords otherwise.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

I have flatwound 10's on my tele rn. They're neat. Thomastik-Infields.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
I like 13s, in B standard

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

I wanted to share this little study from Parkening Vol 1.

It's like halfway through the first volume, still on the pages that are teaching the notes in the first five frets. Easy stuff. But when I first encountered it and tried to play it, I was like :supaburn:. You're playing three voices across four strings. Getting my fingers in both hands to coordinate that, playing in time and without accidentally muting anything, was goddamn impossible. I skipped over it and marked it to come back to, and when I did a few months later, I found it still difficult but manageable. Now it's one of my warmup pieces, good for coordination and practicing playing different voices at the right volume. Give it a try. I like it a lot, I think it sounds lovely.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

ColdPie posted:

It's like halfway through the first volume, still on the pages that are teaching the notes in the first five frets. Easy stuff. But when I first encountered it and tried to play it, I was like :supaburn:. You're playing three voices across four strings. Getting my fingers in both hands to coordinate that, playing in time and without accidentally muting anything, was goddamn impossible. I skipped over it and marked it to come back to, and when I did a few months later, I found it still difficult but manageable. Now it's one of my warmup pieces, good for coordination and practicing playing different voices at the right volume. Give it a try. I like it a lot, I think it sounds lovely.

That book is just so good

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

:prepop:

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Whatcha' doin?
:allears:

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

I better see this hanging on your wall with "Live, Laugh, Love" etched into it in cursive.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
Lol I'll be sure to add that >_<

Thumposaurus posted:

Whatcha' doin?
:allears:

Pedal steel!

Haven't been posting in here for a while, after my left elbow tendon issues put a hiatus on my normal guitar activities (basically recovered now but doesn't seem to have completely gone back to normal unfortunately, if I do a pull-up I feel it again immediately so I'm not doing that) I ended up getting into learning pedal steel and eventually decided to commission one - one of those things where I wonder in a decade's time if such a thing would even be possible anymore so might as well get on it while I can. It's (hopefully) going to be very beautiful so can't wait to share more pics as it develops! Pedal steel itself is a lot of fun, very challenging relative to anything else I've studied but you can really wring all the emotion out of those bends and get some special stuff going on.

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005

ColdPie posted:

that's nice. might have to pick up that book.

i've heard some questionable stuff about parkening's pedagogical methods (about how he doesn't recommend scales, stuff like that), but i do like nice simple etudes

edit: this sounds really good when i bring out the repeating G - A middle voice motif

a.p. dent fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Jul 6, 2022

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

a.p. dent posted:

that's nice. might have to pick up that book.

i've heard some questionable stuff about parkening's pedagogical methods (about how he doesn't recommend scales, stuff like that), but i do like nice simple etudes

edit: this sounds really good when i bring out the repeating G - A middle voice motif

I dunno, it worked well with my learning style. When he introduces new concepts, he includes 2 or 3 short pieces that emphasize the concept musically, and then it continues to be used for the rest of the book. There are a handful of scale-based exercises and some technical fingering stuff as well. I haven't found anywhere where he doesn't recommend technical exercises, but the books definitely focus more on playing music than doing exercises, yeah.

Here's the closest I could find to discussing the topic, from the intro of Vol 2 (the books were written in the 70s and 90s; excuse the gendered pronoun):

I don't know what your skill level is, dent, but I think they might be below your level. Vol 1 is literally never touched a guitar before kind of stuff. Vol 2's first half is techniques like slurs and vibrato, then the second half is a collection of pieces to learn. Could be good for getting some new pieces or sightreading. The discussions of each piece in the repertoire is pretty great, includes technical and interpretation suggestions (like where in the piece to use rubato, volume and tone changes, etc). TBH most of the pieces he includes are not to my taste, so I've largely finished with both books and moved on to learning pieces from modern composers. But I found they were great to learn from. And they cost like, $20 total for both including shipping on eBay.

Here's the TOC for each book and repertoire list:

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Mozi posted:

Lol I'll be sure to add that >_<

Pedal steel!

Haven't been posting in here for a while, after my left elbow tendon issues put a hiatus on my normal guitar activities (basically recovered now but doesn't seem to have completely gone back to normal unfortunately, if I do a pull-up I feel it again immediately so I'm not doing that) I ended up getting into learning pedal steel and eventually decided to commission one - one of those things where I wonder in a decade's time if such a thing would even be possible anymore so might as well get on it while I can. It's (hopefully) going to be very beautiful so can't wait to share more pics as it develops! Pedal steel itself is a lot of fun, very challenging relative to anything else I've studied but you can really wring all the emotion out of those bends and get some special stuff going on.

Sounds neat there's a lot of specialized hardware involved in them.
I have a lap steel but it's way harder ro sound good on it than regular guitar I can't even begin to get my head around all the levers and doo-dads on a pedal steel.

a.p. dent
Oct 24, 2005

ColdPie posted:

I dunno, it worked well with my learning style. When he introduces new concepts, he includes 2 or 3 short pieces that emphasize the concept musically, and then it continues to be used for the rest of the book. There are a handful of scale-based exercises and some technical fingering stuff as well. I haven't found anywhere where he doesn't recommend technical exercises, but the books definitely focus more on playing music than doing exercises, yeah.

Here's the closest I could find to discussing the topic, from the intro of Vol 2 (the books were written in the 70s and 90s; excuse the gendered pronoun):

appreciate the write-up! i went ahead and placed the order, i can't help myself buying new music books. fwiw, i went back and read what i had heard about his teaching style and it wasn't what i remembered - just that he placed more emphasis on pieces than technical exercises, which is fine.

re: skill level, i find i get more out of beginner stuff than intermediate anyway. and my technique has changed a lot since starting alexander technique last year, so i don't think it will be too low-level for me

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
If I have the Hal Leonard book sitting here (unused) should I hit that up before ordering yet another guitar book?

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

TraderStav posted:

If I have the Hal Leonard book sitting here (unused) should I hit that up before ordering yet another guitar book?

Which one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Huxley posted:

Which one?

The Parkening.