Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Feels Villeneuve posted:

that was a "we lost the assets and couldn't justify completely remaking it for the remaster" thing, not really a GAAS/DLC servers thing

No, I mean for the original game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veotax
May 16, 2006

RatHat posted:

Some of the Mass Effect 1 DLC is still unavailable officially I think. Not a huge loss though since they weren't very good

There were only two pieces of DLC for ME1, the first one was just free on PC as a patch, the second one is loving awful and not worth playing. It's a series of combat challenges with no story to speak of in a game with terrible combat.
It wasn't made by Bioware but Demiurge, the company that made the PC port. As such Bioware doesn't have the source code for it so when they eventually ported ME1 to the PS3 they didn't bother doing the second DLC. It's also missing from the recent Legendary Collection too.

No big loss, IMO.

And yeah, wouldn't be surprised if EA never bothered making it available for PC again after the old Bioware site where you brought the DLC from was shutdown.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The notable thing about Pinnacle Station is that it came out five months before Mass Effect 2. I can't fathom who was baying for more of the originals combat.

The only downside to the Legendary edition is, of course, the missing multiplayer.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Wait, if it’s gone, did they recalibrate the war asset things in single player to account for that?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Regalingualius posted:

Wait, if it’s gone, did they recalibrate the war asset things in single player to account for that?

You never needed multiplayer for that

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Andrast posted:

You never needed multiplayer for that

Not strictly true. The launch version of the game was such that it was impossible to get one of the ending scenes without getting your GR above 50% through MP. Once the various DLCs were added, you'd get enough extra war assets to do it but before then, there was content you could not access unless you went multiplayer.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

You also basically had to have 100%’ed the entire baseline, non-DLC portions of the trilogy if you wanted to unlock everything including the secret five-second cutscene after one of the endings without touching multiplayer, IIRC?

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
You could also get additional war assets by playing ME: Infiltrator.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Sentinel Red posted:

Not strictly true. The launch version of the game was such that it was impossible to get one of the ending scenes without getting your GR above 50% through MP. Once the various DLCs were added, you'd get enough extra war assets to do it but before then, there was content you could not access unless you went multiplayer.

And that's when I broke out the hex editor.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
Having to play MP to get the best ending was not the worst thing ever, seeing as the MP is actually good and fun and contains probably the least-offensive lootbox system ever where just playing normally earned you everything. As one of the people who were annoyed at the announcement of MP, I ended up playing like 1000 hours of it.

I'm honestly really surprised it wasn't brought back for the LE.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

The notable thing about Pinnacle Station is that it came out five months before Mass Effect 2. I can't fathom who was baying for more of the originals combat.

I guess if you were really jonesing for just a little more ME before 2 came out, maybe.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

SubponticatePoster posted:

Having to play MP to get the best ending was not the worst thing ever, seeing as the MP is actually good and fun and contains probably the least-offensive lootbox system ever where just playing normally earned you everything. As one of the people who were annoyed at the announcement of MP, I ended up playing like 1000 hours of it.

A friend of mine also dumped hundreds of hours into the MP, started waxing nostalgic for it recently, and actually bought me a copy out of nowhere because he wanted friends to play it with again. Having never played ME3 at all prior to 2022, I can confirm that the ME3 multiplayer is actually a really good and shockingly well thought out game mode that outdoes a lot of much newer coop shooters.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Regalingualius posted:

They did adjust the war asset counts in legendary to take into account both the lack of multiplayer and everyone having all the DLC.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Bethesda is taking an interesting stance compared to the other companies coming out saying their benefits will support abortion trips:

https://kotaku.com/bethesda-zenimax-roe-v-wade-abortion-politics-microsoft-1849134727

That stance being, of course, pretty much refusing to take a public stance, which is mostly telling because Microsoft has announced support for employee abortion trips but Bethesda has been weaselly about how their benefits program is still separate from Microsoft's. There's also a side of questionable language about "lifestyle" choices!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

If it picks up more traction in the media I don't know that Microsoft is going to be able to keep their hands clean of it.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Kanos posted:

Bethesda is taking an interesting stance compared to the other companies coming out saying their benefits will support abortion trips:

https://kotaku.com/bethesda-zenimax-roe-v-wade-abortion-politics-microsoft-1849134727

That stance being, of course, pretty much refusing to take a public stance, which is mostly telling because Microsoft has announced support for employee abortion trips but Bethesda has been weaselly about how their benefits program is still separate from Microsoft's. There's also a side of questionable language about "lifestyle" choices!

Jesus loving christ.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Ubisoft Mainz is trying to transfer all of Anno 2070's online functionality onto local servers before Big Ubisoft pulls the plug on it

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow

Rarity posted:

Ubisoft Mainz is trying to transfer all of Anno 2070's online functionality onto local servers before Big Ubisoft pulls the plug on it

Do you think they knew it in advance or learned it at the same time as us? I’m betting on the latter.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

MikeJF posted:

If it picks up more traction in the media I don't know that Microsoft is going to be able to keep their hands clean of it.

might heat up

https://www.pcgamesn.com/activision-walkout

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

I wonder how much Activision et al donate to Republicans.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

ColdPie posted:

they actively hired people from the Trump administration, probably a shitload

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.

ColdPie posted:

Big corps donate to both parties

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Some of Kotick’s donations can be seen here: https://www.cnbc.com/2022/02/15/activision-ceo-bobby-kotick-quietly-donated-to-gop-super-pac.html

And yes, plenty of Republicans in top positions at Activision: Townsend, Bulatao and Dixton.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

gamestop doing more 'right-sizing'

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

SubponticatePoster posted:

Aside from ME1, the Legendary edition was shockingly kind of lazy. ME2 and especially 3 were barely touched, so I'm not surprised they didn't go into figuring out the multiplayer at all.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Polaron posted:

Aside from ME1, the Legendary edition was shockingly kind of lazy. ME2 and especially 3 were barely touched, so I'm not surprised they didn't go into figuring out the multiplayer at all.
That's kind of the thing, though. If they really didn't make many changes why not just reuse the code, maybe shiny up the assets a bit? It was a license to print money back in the day and probably would be again.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I have to assume firing up and maintaining servers for a multiplayer game that they have absolutely no intent on balancing or curating just seems like a huge waste of money for them

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Bust Rodd posted:

I have to assume firing up and maintaining servers for a multiplayer game that they have absolutely no intent on balancing or curating just seems like a huge waste of money for them
The old servers are still running. If it wasn't making money they'd have been shut off long ago. I'd be up for playing if it didn't involve having to boot up my PS3.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

I'm not sure if there is a more appropriate thread for it, but Mark Venturelli gave a talk about The Future of Game Design Why NFTs are a Nightmare at Brazil's International Games Week the other day. The talk itself is in Portuguese, but he's uploaded the slideshow to Google docs.

Kotaku Article Here
Slideshow here in English

He made a lot of the same points that have been discussed here in the past regarding NFTs in general, and NFTs in gaming specifically but in a very straightforward way that's worth sharing. The best part, however, is this quote from the article:

Kotaku posted:

As PC Gamer report, an important thing to note here is that he pulled the stunt with the blessing of the event’s organisers, because the Brazil International Games Festival had among its main sponsors a number of crypto, NFT and blockchain companies, some of whom were furious at the content of Venturelli’s talk.

“These people are outsiders here, they’re not important,” he said of the scam peddlers during the presentation. “They’re just trying to buy their relevance, because they have no actual influence over the future of our industry. If you just give them this space uncontested, you’re just giving them exactly what they want, and buying their narrative that they’re relevant.”

In a subsequent interview with PC Gamer, Venturelli says “I’ve heard that the sponsors got really mad. They tried to break into the talk while I was talking, but the organization would not let them...There was never any kind of intention on [the organizer’s] side to shut me up or anything like that.”

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine
lmao, eat poo poo NFT grifters

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Good. Excellent.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
NFT devs were shocked that someone would take their money and run

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

Rarity posted:

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Rarity posted:

:hmmyes:

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Rarity posted:

:perfect:

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
https://twitter.com/KenneyNL/status/1547599963399458818

go away john

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

The context is that Unity’s tools are allowing devs to tweak potential business/microtransaction models very early in development, giving them forecasting and player analytics based on how other games perform and suggesting tried and true methods. How often do ads appear, for how long, what’s the “breathing room” between them, how aggressive is your conversion marketing, etc. Mobile games are highly formulaic and the tools reflect that.

Some of his later comments:

John Riccitiello posted:

So, if the games industry can survive every recession, while gaining on every other form of media, for 30 years, it can take COVID like a relatively modest speed bump.

My personal view is gaming will double as an industry in the course of the next five, maybe seven years. That’s not a hard prediction to make because it’s the trendline we’ve been on. But I could not be more bullish on this industry, and the number one form of gaming is mobile. And when you’re in mobile, you’re driven by in-game advertising. With this merger, we had the opportunity to do something really special.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Mobile's growth is largely because so much of it is predatory garbage. I don't like saying "gently caress mobile gaming and kill it with fire," but I do think that we need to burn it down and start over.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
It had so much promise to begin with. In the early days of android I bought so many games.

Now I don't even have a single one installed. I'm sure good ones exist but I cannot be bothered to search through all that utter crap.

It's allowed me to buy much more budget phones though so :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The only Android games I have are the ones I've gotten in humble bundles, and that at least filters out predatory poo poo and is all complete non-microtransaction games.

Oh and also I bought Kairosoft games. (who did try to dip their toe in being predatory but thankfully backed off.)