Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

DeimosRising posted:

I was kind of disappointed in the pick, watched the summer league game and now I’m convinced Paolo and Caleb are both hall of famers and Orlando will win 3 rings and I’ll never be sad again, ever

let’s fuckin gooooooo magic

e: im feeling positive about this season in a way I haven’t in years lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Spring Break My Heart posted:

Garnett and Barkley played on many nothing teams with Philly and Minnesota while being easy top 5 players. Garnett was arguably the best player in the league in 05 and the Wolves got 44 wins. And they were both really healthy during those years!

The thing that separates AD from those other elites is health. Karl Malone has seventeen seasons with 80+ games played in the regular season. AD has two seasons with 70+ games played and will probably not reach even one 80+ game season.

CoolRanch posted:

“pay da [fans] 1 billion each they deserve it!!!!”

:hmmyes:

iamsosmrt posted:

I feel like these Wolves could land anywhere from 8th to 1st and it'll come down to their coaching, culture and chemistry.

If the Timberwolves end up barely making the playoffs that'll be a hilarious disappointment.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Kibner posted:

Also, last session was perhaps the most competitive regular season that I could remember. There were only like five outright terrible or tanking teams. Everyone down to like the 12th seed in both conferences were fighting to get homecourt, avoid the play in game, or make the play in game. It was fantastic.

Yes, it's not like the owners can invest billions of more dollars and build a new LBJ out of clay. No NBA owner can pay like a billion dollars to resurrect Wilt. No NBA owner can have Jordan's brain transplanted into a new body. This is stuff future generations will have to worry about but not in 2022.

Chairchucker posted:

I am looking forward to the pre season poll so I can hot take that the Minnesota Timberwolves won that trade, specifically because it will get them a ring this year.

EDIT: next year

If that happens it'll probably win.

Metapod posted:

Draymond would have lost to wilt easily

Wilt would score 100 points while Draymond had one of those 1for4 shooting games.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

WhyteRyce posted:

My argument is looking at the last few seasons since Monte came onboard. Again, the Spurs and Kings haven’t had a ton of separation and we’re frankly in similar situations despite them having polar opposite reputations. Both teams were mediocre and needed to blow it up. But San Antonio continues to get regarded like it’s the mid 2000s

If you want to talk picks from those years, it’s Devin Vassell vs. Haliburton and Josh Primo vs. Davion. I’m not seeing a slam dunk in San Antonio’s direction. Even going back farther I’m not seeing this draft success leading San Antonio father than the instant first round knockout status at best

I mean, the Spurs probably would've picked Luka over Bagley so this point is moot

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

NieR Occomata posted:

It’s just baffling to me, especially during a year when they could’ve slapped Michael on every single edition and been done with it because he’s Michael loving Jordan. Who is the theoretical person who’s like “gently caress I gotta buy 2K this year, they got Devin Booker on the cover! You know, Kendall Jenner’s ex!”

Chalk it up to Devin Booker once scoring seventy points in a game. OTOH, Jordan only scored 69.

NieR Occomata posted:

On one hand I get it and you’re right, but on the other we as a collective nba fanbase should be holding every single owner’s feet to the fire about doing everything they can do to win at all times. The league is better when there are more teams being competitive, and right now imo the biggest issue the league has is that at least half the teams in the league right now are content being mediocre or to literally burn dollars to save pennies.

The league has been the same level of competitive for a while now.

The NBA standard deviation of SRS demonstrates that things have been stable since 2009:

code:
Season	SRS SD
2021-22	4.67
2020-21	4.75
2019-20	4.81
2018-19	4.70
2017-18	4.28
2016-17	4.19
2015-16	4.91
2014-15	4.78
2013-14	4.78
2012-13	4.50
2011-12	4.74
2010-11	4.54
2009-10	4.54
2008-09	4.60
The Lakers and Bulls getting into a bidding war of tens of millions of dollars over Caruso isn't going to change that. It would've made the Bulls slightly less entertaining and the Lakers slightly more entertaining. One could make lots of arguments about hypothetical marginal utility with X player being on X team vs. Y player being on Y team as well.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
Christian Braun seems like a total rear end in a top hat who will get five insanely sick dunks this season. A perfect late FRP player.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

PupsOfWar posted:

chet's skills are very legit, it's just impossible for me to look at him without imagining him getting accidentally obliterated by one of these 300 lb eastern european centers every team has now

chet gets picked by a lumbering estonian I've never heard of until this moment, immediately dissolves into a cloud of bees

soggybagel posted:

If Jokic gets upset this season I could see him lifting Chet over his head and breaking him like Bane did to Batman.

You might be happy to know that the league is shrinking in size lately. Average weight of 215 last year (the lowest since 1999). Players must be on the Paleolithic diet.

i am a moron posted:

every team was garbage during that period. 2000-2005 might've been some of the worst basketball ever played in the association. just pathetic stuff

Peja Stojakovic in 2004 was okay.

Algund Eenboom posted:

There are an avalanche of social media nobodies who have never watched a basketball game making up the most outrageously idiotic rumors and other, even dumber social media nobodies who have never watched a basketball game slurping it up like good little piggies...

:lol:

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

WhyteRyce posted:

My argument is looking at the last few seasons since Monte came onboard. Again, the Spurs and Kings haven’t had a ton of separation and we’re frankly in similar situations despite them having polar opposite reputations. Both teams were mediocre and needed to blow it up. But San Antonio continues to get regarded like it’s the mid 2000s

If you want to talk picks from those years, it’s Devin Vassell vs. Haliburton and Josh Primo vs. Davion. I’m not seeing a slam dunk in San Antonio’s direction. Even going back farther I’m not seeing this draft success leading San Antonio father than the instant first round knockout status at best

Between the two I actually think the kings were better at finding and developing talent, but at the cost of fit and team construction.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Zogo posted:

You might be happy to know that the league is shrinking in size lately. Average weight of 215 last year (the lowest since 1999). Players must be on the Paleolithic diet.
I wonder if it's more "regression toward the historical mean" because Shaq single-handedly caused teams to put useless seven-footers on their rosters for more than a decade because they were close to 300 pounds.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Big Boy Ball is peak Ball.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

I hated this period of Kyrie, because it was after flat earth Kyrie. Like, there's dozens of other NBA players (not to mention literally anybody else) with important contributions to the conversation, and this moron who spent the last year+ fighting the ghost of Copernicus is being signal boosted?

Imagine Kyrie 500 years ago. He'd be imprisoning people for heliocentrism as some kind of sicko inquisitor.

I remember the simpler times when he was hated merely for having a strange voice and having too many people on his party boat.

Dejan Bimble posted:

What would you like him to say? I got frozen into a star wars slab and was thawed here?

Yes, I would like that. Rudy Gobert is tall enough to be a Wookiee extra in upcoming films.

Crazy Ted posted:

I wonder if it's more "regression toward the historical mean" because Shaq single-handedly caused teams to put useless seven-footers on their rosters for more than a decade because they were close to 300 pounds.

In 2011 Shaq retired and that was the year the league hit the max. weight of 223 (stayed there until 2015).

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I'm a broke brain degenerate so I've been listening to hours of podcasts in the wake of the KD declaration and the Lowe take has resonated the most with me. When they spec'd out potential trades to the Raptors and the Pelicans they kept coming back to the idea that, like, "yeah this opens up the window to a chip" and poo poo but on another level its so much more satisfying to watch Your Guys develop and grow together, even if the Net Championship Likelihood is lesser than.

I guess this just tracks back to my Fundamental Take that winning the championship is cool but not the be all, end all. I know we've shared this take in the past.

Winning the championship with franchise guys your team drafted and stuck with is the ultimate Sports Fan Moment.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

iamsosmrt posted:

Robinson was still obviously a very good player in 99, but come on. He had some great advanced stats and sublime WS, but it was clearly Duncan's team that year. To his credit, Robinson seemed to embrace becoming the best Robin he could be very quickly and humbly. Either way, outside of those two, that 99 team is pretty dire.

Here is a flashback to the 1999 Finals:

code:
GmSc	Player		 Finals
113.2	Tim Duncan	 1999
 78.5	David Robinson	 1999
 77.2	Latrell Sprewell 1999
 59.3	Allan Houston	 1999
 45.3	Mario Elie	 1999
 41.8	Marcus Camby	 1999
 38.8	Charlie Ward	 1999
 32.9	Avery Johnson	 1999
 24.3	Sean Elliott	 1999
 22.2	Kurt Thomas	 1999
 11.7	Larry Johnson	 1999
  9.3	Antonio Daniels	 1999
  8.7	Jaren Jackson	 1999
  3.7	Steve Kerr	 1999
  1.3	Jerome Kersey	 1999
  0.0	Gerard King	 1999
  0.0	Rick Brunson	 1999
 -0.6	Malik Rose	 1999
 -0.7	Herb Williams	 1999
 -0.7	Chris Dudley	 1999
 -3.5	Chris Childs	 1999

Memnaelar posted:

That's a spicy meatball of a take. As has already been pointed out, Duncan did the same thing with "aging and solid talent" in his second year and dragged them to a championship. It's not strictly apples to apples, but I don't see how someone who saw prime Duncan devastate the Nets and the eye-popping numbers he put up doing so and confidently assert that KG's peak was "definitely better." Even if the margins are thin and I'm a Spurs homer, Duncan's the best PF of all time and while there's an argument to be made about KG potentially having a better peak, I shut down when someone has the guts to claim that it's objective fact.

The Nets and Knicks were weak finals opponents. Put Robinson next to KG and things would be interesting in more ways than one.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

If you're only strictly speaking since Monte came, well it's a mixed bag for both teams, especially since the Spurs just committed to a rebuild. My original point was based on decades of being a standard of a strong culture for their players and finishing ahead of the Kings (who I'm fairly sure I read were at some point going for the play-in last year) with a team entirely made of mid-late 1st and 2nd round talent still says enough about their floor.

Condolences for the Kings through all their dysfunction, but even now I doubt you'd find many Spurs fans feeling glum about their team's outlook or even comparing them to the Kings. And a lot of that is based on the trust they have in the Spurs org. There are other teams that I think do a good job as well, including the Warriors (who did suffer 2 bad seasons, and will eventually do so again), Celtics, Heat, Raptors and Bucks. I think the Jazz are there too, but I'm not clear on how Ainge is affecting them. There are probably some others but i don't follow the West as closely and I'm sure people can nitpick aspects of the teams I'm picking.

Even winning teams can have questionable cultures that affect the players, which is where I put the Sixers who should have made at least the ECF by now but somehow keep falling short, and it's not squarely on Embiid's health.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Zogo posted:

Here is a flashback to the 1999 Finals:

code:
GmSc	Player		 Finals
113.2	Tim Duncan	 1999
 78.5	David Robinson	 1999
 77.2	Latrell Sprewell 1999
 59.3	Allan Houston	 1999
 45.3	Mario Elie	 1999
 41.8	Marcus Camby	 1999
 38.8	Charlie Ward	 1999
 32.9	Avery Johnson	 1999
 24.3	Sean Elliott	 1999
 22.2	Kurt Thomas	 1999
 11.7	Larry Johnson	 1999
  9.3	Antonio Daniels	 1999
  8.7	Jaren Jackson	 1999
  3.7	Steve Kerr	 1999
  1.3	Jerome Kersey	 1999
  0.0	Gerard King	 1999
  0.0	Rick Brunson	 1999
 -0.6	Malik Rose	 1999
 -0.7	Herb Williams	 1999
 -0.7	Chris Dudley	 1999
 -3.5	Chris Childs	 1999
The Nets and Knicks were weak finals opponents. Put Robinson next to KG and things would be interesting in more ways than one.

Duncan was amazing. I don't doubt KG Spurs would still beat those Knicks and Nets, but would they have made it to the Finals? There were some powerhouses in those years.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

iamsosmrt posted:

Duncan was amazing. I don't doubt KG Spurs would still beat those Knicks and Nets, but would they have made it to the Finals? There were some powerhouses in those years.
Yeah. After Jordan retired for the second time, for about the next decade the Western Conference and Eastern Conference were basically the Varsity and Junior Varsity leagues.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

iamsosmrt posted:

The Knicks and Nets were not very good but the path to the finals through the west was brutal.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Crazy Ted posted:

Yeah. After Jordan retired for the second time, for about the next decade the Western Conference and Eastern Conference were basically the Varsity and Junior Varsity leagues.

Exactly. The reason people were so upset about the Kings/Lakers travesty was that everyone assumed they'd steamroll over those Nets for the title.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
https://twitter.com/WorldWideWob/status/1545896221885075456?s=20&t=AUdbriy3so3cCQ34d3DMgg

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

iamsosmrt posted:

If you're only strictly speaking since Monte came, well it's a mixed bag for both teams, especially since the Spurs just committed to a rebuild. My original point was based on decades of being a standard of a strong culture for their players and finishing ahead of the Kings (who I'm fairly sure I read were at some point going for the play-in last year) with a team entirely made of mid-late 1st and 2nd round talent still says enough about their floor.

Condolences for the Kings through all their dysfunction, but even now I doubt you'd find many Spurs fans feeling glum about their team's outlook or even comparing them to the Kings. And a lot of that is based on the trust they have in the Spurs org. There are other teams that I think do a good job as well, including the Warriors (who did suffer 2 bad seasons, and will eventually do so again), Celtics, Heat, Raptors and Bucks. I think the Jazz are there too, but I'm not clear on how Ainge is affecting them. There are probably some others but i don't follow the West as closely and I'm sure people can nitpick aspects of the teams I'm picking.

Even winning teams can have questionable cultures that affect the players, which is where I put the Sixers who should have made at least the ECF by now but somehow keep falling short, and it's not squarely on Embiid's health.

To me fan opinion on organizational excellence is the most overpuffed meaningless metric that people really can’t actually explain until positive results have already occurred. See: Heat Culture

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Dejan Bimble posted:

Just trust me w hen I talk about prospects. I'm infallible. Except when it comes to North Texas Tony Mitchell

What did you say about him I must have missed it

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

DeimosRising posted:

What did you say about him I must have missed it

I was talking up his really great passing vision and multiple ways of scoring, a nd the fact that he was renowned as a defender before his duke year.

My other thesis that's a joke but is also sort of real is that guys with massive round pumpkin heads tend to have high bball iqs

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://twitter.com/JLEdwardsIII/status/1545905531709034497

*punches my entire arm through a wall up to my shoulder*

Dude had 11 points and 2 assists in 5 minutes.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Gonz posted:

https://twitter.com/JLEdwardsIII/status/1545905531709034497

*punches my entire arm through a wall up to my shoulder*

Dude had 11 points and 2 assists in 5 minutes.

He looked really good. I hope this is just a standard sprain and nothing weird

Isiah Livers is way too good for summer league. he might end up as our starting 4

Lager
Mar 9, 2004

Give me the secret to the anti-puppet equation!

Zogo posted:

Chalk it up to Devin Booker once scoring seventy points in a game. OTOH, Jordan only scored 69.

I mean if I had the choice between scoring 70 and scoring 69 I know which one I would aim for. Just another reason why Jordan is the GOAT.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Stevie Lee posted:

i hate when people call him "Tobi" because the only popular media representations of that name are Roots, and this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P9cP0wZlOnw

Read some John le Carré.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

WhyteRyce posted:

To me fan opinion on organizational excellence is the most overpuffed meaningless metric that people really can’t actually explain until positive results have already occurred. See: Heat Culture

Sure thing. My original point was that teams should give more of a drat about their players and invest in their well-being, not pitpicking whether the Spurs are a perfect gold standard.

I generally think it's pretty logical that happier and fulfilled players are more likely to perform better as well.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Dejan Bimble posted:

He looked really good. I hope this is just a standard sprain and nothing weird

Isiah Livers is way too good for summer league. he might end up as our starting 4

Isaiah Liv3rs is indeed a cool dude who is rad.

20 points this evening on 4-5 shooting from 3 (5-8 shooting overall), 6-7 from the line, 5 boards and an assist in 20 minutes.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Not thrilled Koloko shot 4/11, but I do like the 7 boards, 3 blks, and 3 stls

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Jabusti

Rockets gonna have a solid shot at Wemby

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Intruder posted:

Jabusti

Rockets gonna have a solid shot at Wemby

It wasn't his fault, honestly

but yeah they will

Spurs are going to be bad, pacers are going to be bad, rockets, and pistons are the leaders

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Dejan Bimble posted:

but yeah they will

Spurs are going to be bad, pacers are going to be bad, rockets, and pistons are the leaders

If the Pacers sign Ayton and trade Myles for stuff I can see them winning like…30

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Dejan Bimble posted:

but yeah they will

Jabari's shot mechanics look awful, he's gonna have to fix that. But other than that he's actually looked really good. Pulls down some tough boards and plays really good, aggressive D but gets in foul trouble so another thing to work on

Seeing him block Chet, run down to the other end and drill a three was nice though

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Goddamn the Kings are severely cursed

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Vox Nihili posted:

Goddamn the Kings are severely cursed
Severely cursed and terribly run are two different things.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Crazy Ted posted:

Severely cursed and terribly run are two different things.

¿Por que no los dos?

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

¿Por que no los dos?
When I think "severely cursed" I think of a team like the 21st-Century Rockets. They had prime Tracy McGrady and prime Yao Ming only to see McGrady's back give out on him and Ming's feet turn into dust. Then they had MVP-level James Harden paired up with Chris Paul and a great chance to go the Finals, only to shoot about 2/97 from three in the deciding game of the WCF in one of the stranger playoff games in recent memory.

Strawberry Panda
Nov 4, 2007

Breakfast Defecting, Slow Dick Touching, Root Beer Barreling SwagVP

Crazy Ted posted:

When I think "severely cursed" I think of a team like the 21st-Century Rockets. They had prime Tracy McGrady and prime Yao Ming only to see McGrady's back give out on him and Ming's feet turn into dust. Then they had MVP-level James Harden paired up with Chris Paul and a great chance to go the Finals, only to shoot about 2/97 from three in the deciding game of the WCF in one of the stranger playoff games in recent memory.

Not to mention CP3 not being able to play that game due to injury.

Wildest part about that game is even though they shot so bad they didn't get absolutely destroyed.

Strawberry Panda fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Jul 10, 2022

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Peaking at the time when arguably the best team in history exists is pretty cursed. The Rockets were ridiculously good but not as good as the Warriors

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Intruder posted:

Peaking at the time when arguably the best team in history exists is pretty cursed. The Rockets were ridiculously good but not as good as the Warriors
The Rockets were #1 in the West by 5+ games that season. Everything was lined up for them to go to the Finals and then they completely forgot how to do the one thing they did more than any other team in the league.