Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
anime
.hack//Sign
.hack//Legend of the Twilight
.hack//Roots
View Results

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

It's definitely a thing where like, horny is an axis that can be graded separate from quality at this point. It's possible to make a good manga that's horny or a bad manga that's horny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Mors Rattus posted:

It's definitely a thing where like, horny is an axis that can be graded separate from quality at this point. It's possible to make a good manga that's horny or a bad manga that's horny.

Definitely. Like I enjoy Ansatsu Skill de Isekai Saikyou but the art can get horny to the point of being grotesque, and yet the story itself hasn't been horny at all.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
UI menus or food menus?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

OddObserver posted:

UI menus or food menus?

Reborn in a Parallel World Where Only I can see Words Pop Up In Mystical Boxes But They All Just Say Mayonnaise

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
the orc in lord of the rings who talks about menus actually knows about them because they originally lived in modern Japan and were reborn in middle earth

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

nrook posted:

the orc in lord of the rings who talks about menus actually knows about them because they originally lived in modern Japan and were reborn in middle earth

I'd read that

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Siegkrow posted:

I'd read that

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
Some people say a orc is made outta mud
A Uruk Hai’s made outta muscle and blood
Muscle and blood and skin and bones
A mind that's a-weak and a back that's strong

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
Where there’s a whip, there’s a way.

Lock Knight
Oct 5, 2012

You're gonna carry that weight.
Cybernetic Crumb
Orc-flavored isekai where the protagonist can tap into the abilities of different fictional orcs (in a world that hasn't seen orcs before) by invoking jaunty, thematically apt music.

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012
The ability to trudge miserably for hours on end and then get suckered into a fight :orks101:

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Lock Knight posted:

Orc-flavored isekai where the protagonist can tap into the abilities of different fictional orcs (in a world that hasn't seen orcs before) by invoking jaunty, thematically apt music.

Considering the traditional role of orcs in japanese media this would only work in an adult-only book.

Lock Knight
Oct 5, 2012

You're gonna carry that weight.
Cybernetic Crumb
Oh.

...Ohhh.

Well, it was a gimmick idea anyhow; thought the comparison between at least Klingon Orc (a la Warcraft), Tolkien Orc, and Warhammer Orc might have some, er, meat.

On-topic, anyone else keeping up with Punching Princess? It's the baddie in that one who's living a portal fantasy life, but I think it mostly counts for wholesome. Fun to read.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Kyte posted:

Considering the traditional role of orcs in japanese media this would only work in an adult-only book.

Excuse me.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Onean posted:

Excuse me.

What is captain orc from, I need to know

Wibbleman
Apr 19, 2006

Fluffy doesn't want to be sacrificed

thetoughestbean posted:

What is captain orc from, I need to know

https://mangadex.org/title/65af3243-8a16-4545-b53a-ed1a79e367ac/the-king-of-cave-will-live-a-paradise-life

Pretty sure at least.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Yeah. He takes a bit to show up, but the rest of the manga's not bad either.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Shhh... don't wake up the sleeping lion :3:

I really want to like that one for the orcs but the whole turning the orc princess slash main love interest into a japanese girl kinda weirded me out. Also the orcs willingly being "tamed" thing but well.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

blizzardvizard posted:

I really want to like that one for the orcs but the whole turning the orc princess slash main love interest into a japanese girl kinda weirded me out. Also the orcs willingly being "tamed" thing but well.

The first one I kinda understand, though she's a goblin and it was by her own wishes, she does keep her goblin ears, and she was stunted by illness/curse so a big chunk of the change was just getting cured, so I don't have a big issue with it.

I was really confused about the second bit, though, because I completely forgot about "taming" the goblins. Nothing comes of it outside sharing his abilities with them. It's exploiting a system, not an abusive, manipulative or suppressive act. Didn't need to be there either, though. It could have just been a party or civilization thing instead.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Lock Knight posted:

Oh.

...Ohhh.

Well, it was a gimmick idea anyhow; thought the comparison between at least Klingon Orc (a la Warcraft), Tolkien Orc, and Warhammer Orc might have some, er, meat.

Can't believe you're forgetting the best Orc:

Onean posted:

The first one I kinda understand, though she's a goblin and it was by her own wishes, she does keep her goblin ears, and she was stunted by illness/curse so a big chunk of the change was just getting cured, so I don't have a big issue with it.

The weird thing about it is how IIRC in one of the latest chapters, one character comments how the goblin princess's skin color was the same as the MC's. Yes, there's some good reasoning involved there (extending her lifespan and it was her choice to turn into that form), but there's still that bit of weirdness in it.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Yeah, I get feeling a bit weird about it.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

sometimes "she chose it" is not an appropriate defense to something weird because the one who actually chose it was the author who didn't have to write it like that. This can apply to many pieces of work in many forms of media.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

I was going to say that maybe it could be an effect of the system evolving them but it not being sure how to do so, and using the MC as a base. Or that it follows the normal, stupid curve of 'More strong = More humanlike' a lot of things lean into.

But all that falls apart when the old goblin dude also evolves.... and just stays the same. As opposed to turning into a handsome half-goblin/half-mc combo similar to the princess.

It's absolutely a very strange tangent in an otherwise nice series.
On the topic of strange tangents, the reincarnator series where the protagonist perpetually stays as a super young kid weird me out in such a strange way.

Anyhow, some Villainess stuff:
The Villainess Who Became a Nightingale

I quite liked this, a nurse getting isekaied and tries to set up modern concepts of nursing in fantasyland. (Big fan of the 'jesus christ what story am I even in? I read so much poo poo' joke.)
But god Comikey is just the worst and most obtuse site for manga/series I've encountered yet. Doesn't help that they split chapters up just so they can charge multiple times for the same chapter.
The first volume or so is atleast still on MangaDex, so it's worth checking out.

Really wanna read those cat-sekais.

It's also quite new ( 6 Chapters, though they're 30-50 page manga chapters. ) but I quite like this, it's got an incredibly dense first 2 chapters, speedrunning the first season before kicking off, kinda.
The One Within the Villainess

Standard 'lady gets isekaied into villainess', but the villainess just hangs around in her head instead of vanishing, and ends up seeing the reincarnator as a sister and friend.
You get the standard route where the reincarnator befriends everyone and makes everything better.... until everything goes to poo poo, and the original villainess takes over the reigns again.
Probably one of my favorite examples of dueling reincarnators so far because of how incredibly lovely the situation feels. Also has some excellent faces.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

Nihilarian posted:

sometimes "she chose it" is not an appropriate defense to something weird because the one who actually chose it was the author who didn't have to write it like that. This can apply to many pieces of work in many forms of media.

Eh, you shouldn't expect people from countries with basically no ethnic diversity to "get" racial politics on any level deeper than "racism is bad, your different skin color doesn't make you any inferior to me".

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Nihilarian posted:

Obviously, you're not wrong. It's questionable, but pretty minor when compared to most everything else* in the manga being about a variety of peoples working together with respect, kindness and forgiveness to make a new home. She chose changing herself to that degree because she hated basically everything about how she looked since she was stuck looking like a very young child while having a drastically shortened life span, and chose specifically what she did because she had a crush on one of the few people she's gotten close to that looks drastically different.

*The use of "taming" has already been called out, though not yet it including getting a new name, even if said name is heavily based off their former name. (El becoming Elvan, Fu becoming Fulle, Ri becoming Riena) It's probably more of a gag callback to the Reincarnated as a Slime renaming bit than any intentional cultural smothering. Unintentional parallels to real world history goes without saying, and it would have been nice to see it cut.

SubNat posted:

I was going to say that maybe it could be an effect of the system evolving them but it not being sure how to do so, and using the MC as a base. Or that it follows the normal, stupid curve of 'More strong = More humanlike' a lot of things lean into.

But all that falls apart when the old goblin dude also evolves.... and just stays the same. As opposed to turning into a handsome half-goblin/half-mc combo similar to the princess.

On the topic of strange tangents, the reincarnator series where the protagonist perpetually stays as a super young kid weird me out in such a strange way.

The miner goblin got a more human-like physique but kept her skin and hair color which isn't that uncommon among other goblins, as seen in the background shots and a small flashback to Riena's older sisters. The old goblin did also get a much more handsome, younger-looking form but it didn't show until he used magic in the chapter that was put up yesterday. It's temporary because he shocks himself back to his original form when he sees it, but still probably going to show up whenever he uses magic in the future.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

Yeah I do agree that the rest of the manga seems decent enough beyond those few things.

SubNat posted:

I quite liked this, a nurse getting isekaied and tries to set up modern concepts of nursing in fantasyland. (Big fan of the 'jesus christ what story am I even in? I read so much poo poo' joke.)
But god Comikey is just the worst and most obtuse site for manga/series I've encountered yet. Doesn't help that they split chapters up just so they can charge multiple times for the same chapter.
The first volume or so is atleast still on MangaDex, so it's worth checking out.

I like that the story is clearly setting up a harem of pretty boys for the protagonist but all she's been thirsting over are the cool old men :v:

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

SubNat posted:

Standard 'lady gets isekaied into villainess', but the villainess just hangs around in her head instead of vanishing, and ends up seeing the reincarnator as a sister and friend.
You get the standard route where the reincarnator befriends everyone and makes everything better.... until everything goes to poo poo, and the original villainess takes over the reigns again.
Probably one of my favorite examples of dueling reincarnators so far because of how incredibly lovely the situation feels. Also has some excellent faces.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
That one manga where the black magic girl with brown skin was turned white by the holy god as a reward has caused me some kind of brain damage. This conversation about the goblin princess is a good awakener because I was pretty apathetic about it until somebody else brought it up.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
That one was pretty bad, and I dropped it when that happened. There wasn't even any other redeeming features to it, outside of the MC being fairly even-keeled in comparison to how lovely everyone else was.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
To be fair, that manga's focus was on how horrible it was that everyone who hated her before suddenly loved her after her skin color got changed. That doesn't mean it gets a pass but phrasing it the way you did makes it sound like it was treated as a good thing.

Also I think the the response was so bad the manga actually switched it to leaving her skin color alone and just changing her magic, while keeping the "everyone loves her now because they're racist magicist" plot. Just being a bit more subtle with the metaphor I guess.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Bremen posted:

To be fair, that manga's focus was on how horrible it was that everyone who hated her before suddenly loved her after her skin color got changed. That doesn't mean it gets a pass but phrasing it the way you did makes it sound like it was treated as a good thing.

Also I think the the response was so bad the manga actually switched it to leaving her skin color alone and just changing her magic, while keeping the "everyone loves her now because they're racist magicist" plot. Just being a bit more subtle with the metaphor I guess.

Yeah it did. You know it's bad when Japanese manga readers call it out enough for a change to happen.

Myok
Apr 8, 2005

Technology on the brain.
Pillbug

SubNat posted:

A Cat's Guide to Bonding with Dragons (ebook) is a straight-up cat isekai if you're interested. It's a five-book series.

blizzardvizard
Sep 12, 2012

SubNat posted:

It's also quite new ( 6 Chapters, though they're 30-50 page manga chapters. ) but I quite like this, it's got an incredibly dense first 2 chapters, speedrunning the first season before kicking off, kinda.

This one is so good holy poo poo

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Yeah, Remilia goes and she goes hard.
I also really liked how it's a game universe that doesn't have game systems, so no status menus and etc.
Early on with Emi figuring out crafting and magic is sort of her brute forcing it based on the game's abstractions, as opposed to those game systems existing in the world, and the same goes for the microtransaction items there as well.
It's a very nice change of pace, and I can't wait for the story to return to the capital again.

Myok posted:

A Cat's Guide to Bonding with Dragons (ebook) is a straight-up cat isekai if you're interested. It's a five-book series.

:3: I might just have to give that a go, yeah.

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?

SubNat posted:

These are nice but I wish they stuck with the lack of memory and only used broad genre knowledge for the "edge" in the nurse one. And Comikey continues to be obnoxious as hell.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

SubNat posted:

I appreciate that her revenge so far has been "gently caress you, I'm going to complete the main plot so you can't powerup now that I've cut off your supply of cheat items".

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Oh thank goodness, finally, a new villainess isekai that's also good; how long's it been since the last one that I enjoyed? Thanks for this one. The Nightingale one is also okay but it hasn't had a new chapter since I read it in, like, December.

Jomo
Jul 11, 2009

Guyver posted:

Combatants will be Dispatched and So I'm a Spider are the first two that comes to mind.

Just jumped into this thread and red the past few pages. If I've seen the anime for both of these already where are the jump-in points for the manga(s)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Jomo posted:

Just jumped into this thread and red the past few pages. If I've seen the anime for both of these already where are the jump-in points for the manga(s)?

The spider manga hasn't caught up with the anime, at least not in translation. The timeline in the webnovel is very different from both the anime and the manga. I haven't read the LN.