Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

The Jinder writup just reminded me of Jack Swagger's world title run, where he had a pretty fun character going in the leadup with a mascot at ringside and Bunkhouse Buck as his dad (probably the only time Hager showed any personality in WWE). Then he won the title and the next night had abandoned everything fun to be a monotone dude in a suit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

DeathChicken posted:

The Jinder writup just reminded me of Jack Swagger's world title run, where he had a pretty fun character going in the leadup with a mascot at ringside and Bunkhouse Buck as his dad (probably the only time Hager showed any personality in WWE). Then he won the title and the next night had abandoned everything fun to be a monotone dude in a suit
Champion Jack Swagger was a boring suit-wearing Jericho clone, but The Swagger Soaring Eagle and Jack Swagger Sr. were after he won and lost the title.

Swagger's run was at least shorter than Jinder's, but was also pretty awful

Wrestlemania 26: Jack Swagger wins the Money in the Bank contract
Smackdown After Mania: Edge beats the poo poo out of Chris Jericho after Jericho cheated to win at Wrestlemania, Swaggers runs down and pins Jericho in nine seconds
April 5th Raw: John Cena cuts a promo on how Swagger is afraid of him. Randy Orton beats Jack Swagger clean in a non-title match.
April 9th Smackdown: Swagger beats John Morrison in a non-title match. Jericho and Edge go to a no contest in a #1 Contender's match.
April 14th Smackdown: The world title match is just a three-way! Edge had Jericho beat but Swagger stole the pin and retained.
April 19th Raw: Undertaker beats Jack Swagger clean in a non-title match.
April 23 Smackdown: John Morrison beats Jack Swagger clean in a non-title match.
Extreme Rules 2010: Jack Swagger beats Randy Orton relatively cleanly to retain the title. He used a chair in the finish, but it was an Extreme Rules match and Randy was the one who brought in the chair
April 26 Raw: Jack Swagger beats John Morrison clean in a non-title match.
May 7 Smackdown: Kane beats Jack Swagger by DQ after he kept slamming Kane's face into an exposed turnbuckle
May 17 Raw: Randy Orton beats Jack Swagger by DQ after Edge attacked Orton right before Orton was probably going to win this non-title match anyway.
May 21 Smackdown: Kofi Kingston beat Jack Swagger in a non-title match after Big Show distracted Swagger by existing.
Over the Limit 2010: Big Show beats Jack Swagger by DQ after Swagger gives up and nails him with a belt shot five minutes in.

May 28 Smackdown: Big Show & Kofi beat Swagger & McIntyre after Swagger basically gives up on his jobber partner
June 4 Smackdown: Jack Swagger beats MVP clean in a non-title match.
June 11 Smackdown: Rey Mysterio beats Jack Swagger clean in a non-title match.
June 18 Smackdown: Rey Mysterio & Big Show beat Swagger & CM Punk clean when Rey pins Swagger. After the match Kane beats the poo poo out of Swagger (and the other four world title contenders) as part of his "Who Killed the Undertaker? (I did teehee) angle
Fatal 4-Way 2010: Rey Mysterio beats Jack Swagger clean after Kane came out to take out the other men

After that Swagger got a couple of title rematches that he lost, and in fact did not get any televised wins for another two months, when he guest-appeared on Raw to squash Evan Bourne.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

That booking doesn't make a lick of sense.

I get (but don't like) having a weasely heel champ cheat to win all the time, like Jinder, and I get (but don't like) having LOL HE'S SHORT THEREFORE MUST LOSE champ, like Rey, but that Swagger presentation is.....he's a midcarder, don't worry about him. Then why give him the belt?

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011
I remember Swagger switching from the Gutwrench Powerbomb to an ankle lock as a finisher around the time he won the title, which just didn't work. All it did was remind people of a better worker (Kurt Angle) and didn't at all work with the rest of his move set.
Like, the reason you watched Swagger's matches at the time was so you could seem him ragdolling people, and the moment he became a heel champion that was tossed out the window. Oh, and they had him in a program with the Big Show, the only person on the roster whom he couldn't toss around, making their matches exceptionally boring.

I kinda liked early Jack Swagger :(

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

remember when he twisted jr's ankle really bad doing the ankle lock lol

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
I only ever had tickets to one pay-per-view, and I put all of my heart and soul into the best/worst sign possible. On one side it said MARC MERO FIGHTS FOR THE USERS and on the other it said THE BOSSMAN COMETH (I think he had even just debuted so it was legit). Then my friend's mother accidentally threw the tickets away when cleaning. Bossman never knew about my love

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

There's a clickbaity video going around about "the top 10 most evil wrestlers" that mysteriously leaves out Chris Benoit but does include Jimmy Saville and Jimmy Snuka.

Anyway, if you were going to make that video about kayfabe evil instead, who gets on the list and why? I'm also curious how it changes if you rank by only onscreen atrocities or if character lore counts.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

5. El Nazi
4. Karl Von Hess
3. Hans Schmidt
2. Frederich Von Schacht
1. the fiend.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Nehru the Damaja posted:

There's a clickbaity video going around about "the top 10 most evil wrestlers" that mysteriously leaves out Chris Benoit but does include Jimmy Saville and Jimmy Snuka.

Anyway, if you were going to make that video about kayfabe evil instead, who gets on the list and why? I'm also curious how it changes if you rank by only onscreen atrocities or if character lore counts.

Grizzly Smith. Abused Jake Roberts and his siblings, screwing them up forever, and if DSOR is to be believed, was a total sexual predator.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Those things really happened.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Cavauro posted:

5. El Nazi
4. Karl Von Hess
3. Hans Schmidt
2. Frederich Von Schacht
1. the fiend.

There is no disputing this.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Vince McMahon probably wins for both in and out of character evil. Although Jake Roberts almost killing a man in the ring with a snake is up there characterwise

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Bossman was a corrupt southern cop/prison guard.
Kane murdered his family and Katie Vick.

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
I do appreciate El Nazi put some thought into his finisher, The Swastika

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
How many of the Nazi wrestlers kayfabe participated in atrocities? Missile Assault Ant in CHIKARA kayfabe slaughtered a busload of children in Africa as a mercenary.

I also don't know if she counts as a wrestler but in kayfabe Alexa Bliss's haunted doll Lily was the malign voice/spirit that provoked many serial killers through history (including explicitly Jack the Ripper, The Zodiac Killer, and Son of Sam).

I'm betting someone in Lucha Underground committed genocide, or blew up a planet, or something.

Brian Cage as Thanos in AAA may have killed half of the universe with the Infinity Gauntlet, or he may just be cosplaying as a guy who killed half of the universe, which puts him back in the Nazi wrestlers camp.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Los Talibanes

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

The Giant smoked a cigarette inside the stadium, on camera.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Chessman is named after Caryl Chessman and I think is kayfabe also supposed to be a serial killer

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

Holocausto

neoaxd
Nov 13, 2004

pseudodragon posted:

Don't forget that he killed and cooked a dog AND he stole a corpse!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
The Truth Commission.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Edge & Christian posted:

I'm betting someone in Lucha Underground committed genocide, or blew up a planet, or something.
Lucha Underground straight up had a bunch of onscreen murders. Siniestro ripped out his trios partners' hearts to gain their powers, Black Lotus punched a hole through Matanza's chest, and Mil Muertes during his Shao Kahn run sat on a literal throne of skulls that were canonically harvested from dead wrestlers, including Ezekiel Jackson's character Big Ryck.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

sticklefifer posted:

Lucha Underground straight up had a bunch of onscreen murders. Siniestro ripped out his trios partners' hearts to gain their powers, Black Lotus punched a hole through Matanza's chest, and Mil Muertes during his Shao Kahn run sat on a literal throne of skulls that were canonically harvested from dead wrestlers, including Ezekiel Jackson's character Big Ryck.

Brian Cage possessed by the gauntlet punching that FBI or senator (or whatever he was) in the head that it exploded was pretty good too.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

pseudodragon posted:

Can we take a moment to say how perfect a set up the original Twin Towers was? Slick was the pimp, One Man Gang was his outlaw biker muscle and Boss Man was the prison pipeline. Then Vince had to go and be super racist and poke fun at Dusty. Oh, well.

Edge & Christian posted:

Mil Muertes was a man of a thousand deaths, were they all his own?

Sandman from ECW
Sep 6, 2011

What about the time Pac broke Orange Cassidy’s sunglasses, that was pretty evil

bartok
May 10, 2006

Sam Sheppard AKA the guy that The Fugitive is based on was a wrestler. I think he was exhonorated for killing his wife after he died but he did kill a patient by operating on them while drunk. He's also credited with inventing the Mandible Claw. That's kinda evil.

Havoc904
Jul 29, 2006

A school festival is a festival that takes place at our school!
Back for some 2002 Raw in Dallas, I made a sign that had Booker T's face with the words "A WHOLE POUND OF FOOD MEN LOVE". It was from the Hungry Man commercial at the time.

Does anyone have a list of the Lucha Underground episodes that I should watch? I tried the first episode, but starting off with Chavo Guerrero vs Blue Demon Jr was a bad idea. Then I just jumped to the first Aztec Warfare for something fun.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I'd actually recommend going through the full series, but skipping matches you don't care about and watching the telenovela style segments in between. The plot is surprisingly serialized.

Though before they introduced the title belt, it was just sort of lucha Calvinball.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

sticklefifer posted:

Several of them are canonically one of the visiting bands too. I don't remember which. Mariachi el Bronx maybe?

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Canadian Destroyer: is it meant to destroy Canadians or is it a Destroyer that is Canadian-flavoured?

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
I always took it to mean a destroyer of the Canadian variety.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

It was Petey Williams' (who is Canadian) finisher that became a genericised name. Pretty much the opposite of Homicide's Cop Killa

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Ah okay, like a German suplex then. Got it.

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
I will never get the physics of how the destroyer works no matter how many times I see it.

e: lol at the cop killa, it's like if the unprettier didn't suck complete rear end

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
Cop Killa is also known as the Vertebreaker, and it has a reputation for being really unsafe to take.

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Apparently it's called the Kudo Driver in Japan after the inventer (Megumi Kudo, who herself called it Kodume Valentine), but I don't remember ever actually hearing this. Is that just people on the Wiki making things up, or is there actually a Code Red/Yoshi Tonic divide by region?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

SG Bamboo posted:

Apparently it's called the Kudo Driver in Japan after the inventer (Megumi Kudo, who herself called it Kodume Valentine), but I don't remember ever actually hearing this. Is that just people on the Wiki making things up, or is there actually a Code Red/Yoshi Tonic divide by region?

Yes it was originally called this and is even mentioned on indie commentary before Homicide became synonymous with the move.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Kudome Valentine is the best name for it, imo

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Should be called the the “lol no loving way am I taking that bro I like being able to feel my arms and legs”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
We call fireman carry drivers John Cena Driver around here.