Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Achmed Jones posted:

i still don't get it

The idea is that the complimented person will be flustered, and will respond with a keysmash, like "afhuiefhIOF4" or something like that. Then use that as the new password.

e: f-w b

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

bob dobbs is dead posted:

theres this archetypal tumblrish interaction where the top says or does something and the bottom, not being able to handle it, types out keyboard line noise

lol

thanks for the explanation, unironically.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

haha yeah people who prefer to be penetrated are too emotional to think and cannot articulate those few thoughts they manage

very cool joke, definitely nothing weird going on here

probably being oversensitive but gently caress this kind of thing

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

also thank you for the explanations, i of course don't think that explaining it to me means you advocate its repetition etc

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Achmed Jones posted:

haha yeah people who prefer to be penetrated are too emotional to think and cannot articulate those few thoughts they manage

"top" doesn't always refer to penetration

in this context it's referring specifically to top-bottom BDSM relationships, which may be completely nonpenetrative

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

bob dobbs is dead posted:

theres this archetypal tumblrish interaction where the top says or does something and the bottom, not being able to handle it, types out keyboard line noise

wow that's sure something

Midjack posted:

lol

thanks for the explanation, unironically.

really, i didn't get it but thought perhaps that was it, but decided that was too dumb and that it must just be some next level exclusive gay in-joke

which in retrospect is actually funnier

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

https://www.theregister.com/2022/07/10/stolen_shanghai_police_data/

Dunno if this got posted but, awhile back, it was reported that 23 TB worth of data on more than a billion Chinese records were being sold online, stolen from shanghai pd.

Now, new information says that the breach was likely due to an unprotected Kibana instance using default credentials.

The real security humor comes from the fact that it was deployed with alibaba cloud, which configures elasticsearch endpoints to be public by default and using default credentials (elastic/elastic).

There's still some speculation as to whether this is accurate but at least Alibaba shut down all kibana servers running 5.5.3 (which shanghai pd was using) as of the beginning of this month. This is notable because that version "did not support authentication out of the box and required a paid license or a third-party authentication plugin to enable it".

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i have a client that has a cms back-end system running on alibaba cloud and it is a hilarious mess. notably, account passwords cannot be set or changed, they are hardcoded, and by default the account login for any account is the phone number associated with it

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

sounds like some mandatory policy pushed from above

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

who in their right mind would ever use a cloud provider from there if you weren't forced

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
they're "forced" in the sense that they bought a product that uses that as the back-end and they don't have the knowledge or resources to replace it at the moment

it's an incredibly niche product that is really only made by one company, and this is the software that runs on it.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

they vendor's sales materials all say it runs on AWS, it turns out they use AWS as a generic trade name to mean "cloud"

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

should've rolled their own

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

they are in fact looking to do that.

they are not a software company and they have some difficulty accepting development methodology, timelines, and most importantly, cost, from companies that are.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

infernal machines posted:

i have a client that has a cms back-end system running on alibaba cloud and it is a hilarious mess. notably, account passwords cannot be set or changed, they are hardcoded, and by default the account login for any account is the phone number associated with it
password already in use! please choose another password

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Achmed Jones posted:

this is a weird take. i'm sorry it bothered you but i've literally never come across anyone who was bothered by it in this way, it's just a joke about a certain kind of bottom (which like was mentioned, in this context doesn't have anything to do with penetration).

that sounds like i'm being an rear end in a top hat and saying "sorry u were offended lol" but i don't mean it like that, i'm genuinely surprised it hit a nerve and am not sure what to say cuz i've never seen it hit anyone's nerve before, and tumblr et al aren't exactly known for not being sensitive about literally everything all the time.

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

they are in fact looking to do that.

they are not a software company and they have some difficulty accepting development methodology, timelines, and most importantly, cost, from companies that are.

this is just a truth through all companies, software or no

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
it means achmeds never encountered any of this tumblr bdsm stuff

it is what it is

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Achmed Jones posted:

…the joke is that the bottom is gagged and restrained so can only speak or type gibberish

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

hobbesmaster posted:

…the joke is that the bottom is gagged and restrained so can only speak or type gibberish

that is also not the joke, but i like your version of it better tbh

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

oh, that’s how I read the original? using the flailing as a random password generator

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

they vendor's sales materials all say it runs on AWS, it turns out they use AWS as a generic trade name to mean "cloud"

aws stands for alibaba web services, right?

right?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

hobbesmaster posted:

oh, that’s how I read the original? using the flailing as a random password generator

as bob dobbs said, certain flavors of bottoms in certain subcultures will just kinda do that if you show them affection and they get flustered, it's a joke about that kinda person. yours is way more fun to imagine though :v:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Buff Hardback posted:

aws stands for alibaba web services, right?

right?

it does if no one asks what it stands for

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

DELETE CASCADE posted:

would you mind sharing another fact, any fact at all, so i can use it to replace the spot in my mind currently occupied by the one you just posted

in many regions of australia, literally 100% of the koala population is infected with chlamydia

e: oh and their own koala version of AIDS called KIDS, that is caused by a virus that managed to integrate itself into their actual genome and is now just permanently part of the koala genes, which is a thing that can happen apparently!

Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Jul 11, 2022

Expo70
Nov 15, 2021

Can't talk now, doing
Hot Girl Stuff

Achmed Jones posted:

speaking on behalf as a highly qualified penetree who is too emotional to think and cannot articulate the few thoughts I manage the post is actually very affectionate because its bringing attention to the fact it is "precious and cute", not "haha bottom dum".

that kind of mental play of ironically putting another person down is part of the social contract that verifies a presence of trust between two people. Its like how some girls want to be called "ignorant stupid sluts" as they're ...

playing chess

because on some level, when you have this constant demand to be seen as a highly responsible and proficient chess-player because society has decided only you can be allowed to organize chess-games, that you bring the chess-board, that you bring all the pieces and keep the board in good condition while your opponent merely participates despite always being told they must make the first move...

being made to lose by a much much more skilled player can be very refreshing because you don't have to be the cool class president anymore when someone totally destroys your ELO rating despite being a player with an inferior score.

Its very liberating.

I did have a joke about pawns but I'm too tired and angry about the current state of the world chess federation (FIDE) and the power structures it supports about what are acceptable sub-genres to play and what aren't on a professional level, and in turn the way people think of skilled chess-players having changed since the introduction of chess playing automatons.

the world of chess will never be the same after Kasparov vs Deep Blue.

i wonder hypothetically what the most secure decodable source of entropy that "chess" could generate is?

there's probably a rabbithole about trust here somewhere.

Expo70 fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Jul 11, 2022

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

combining chess and the social structure behind sexual power play was not the crossover i expected, but it makes perfect sense

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Shame Boy posted:

this is a weird take. i'm sorry it bothered you but i've literally never come across anyone who was bothered by it in this way, it's just a joke about a certain kind of bottom (which like was mentioned, in this context doesn't have anything to do with penetration).

that sounds like i'm being an rear end in a top hat and saying "sorry u were offended lol" but i don't mean it like that, i'm genuinely surprised it hit a nerve and am not sure what to say cuz i've never seen it hit anyone's nerve before, and tumblr et al aren't exactly known for not being sensitive about literally everything all the time.

nah i misunderstood. "bottom" was for bdsm thing, not for "gay guy who prefers a certain type of sex". when read correctly it's fine

thanks for the correction!

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Achmed Jones posted:

nah i misunderstood. "bottom" was for bdsm thing, not for "gay guy who prefers a certain type of sex". when read correctly it's fine

ah fair, glad we're cool :shobon:

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
So how about that computer security eh

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

Rufus Ping posted:

its not looking good

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

im starting to think this whole "computer" thing wasnt such a good idea actually

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

computers are fine

it's the networking that causes the security headaches

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Rufus Ping posted:

foreverially pentested and loving it

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

sb hermit posted:

computers are fine

adama was right

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Achmed Jones posted:

fwiw i read “bottom” as the bdsm kind and had the same reaction because i didn’t realize that it was supposed to reference a specific archetype of sub rather than generalizing across the whole category

Expo70
Nov 15, 2021

Can't talk now, doing
Hot Girl Stuff

sb hermit posted:

computers are fine

why do computers need to go to conventions

why can't they just stay home and play videogames like everybody else

do they really need all those business cards?

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

https://krebsonsecurity.com/2022/07/experian-you-have-some-explaining-to-do/

Experian apparently makes it very easy to change the e-mail address on file for a specific individual's record.

Also, it's ridiculous to even consider paying experian $25/mo to monitor your account when they're the reason why you have to get the stupid monitoring in the first place.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Beeftweeter posted:

im starting to think this whole "computer" thing wasnt such a good idea actually

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Gha9xrM10w

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mystes
May 31, 2006

Expo70 posted:

do they really need all those business cards?
They've got to fill up all those ISA slots somehow (laugh track)