Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

goblin week posted:

Big Mom isn’t dead. She’s defeated

Big Mom gonna show up in a sentient wheelchair with her feet burned off by lava, vowing revenge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

man, I forgot how big mom ate the child trafficker and absorbed her fruit. maybe teach just...fuckin...ate whitebeard.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Big moms backstory is like the most horrible loving thing in One Piece

You dont often get child cannibalism in cartoons like that

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I do like how there's the shot of that one giant who oversaw the whole thing whose reaction is understandably to just go,"Nope. Nope nope nope. Ain't want no part of this!" and went straight the gently caress home to Elbaf and told everybody else the crazy poo poo he just saw go down.

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe

bitmap posted:

man, I forgot how big mom ate the child trafficker and absorbed her fruit. maybe teach just...fuckin...ate whitebeard.

So Blackbeard took a bite of Whitebeard but covered up first like he was eating ortolan bunting so the rest of the world doesn't learn you can do that. Is he feeding people to his crew? Are the Blackbeard pirates a gang of cannibals?

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

tbp posted:

kinda interesting that yamato ate a deity zoan fruit seemingly by accident as well. there's been a few instances of zoans ending up in certain hands via fate it seems

Where did robins fruit come from ?!? Like where did a nine year old get it, she got it while still living her peaceful life

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

Flubby posted:

like he was eating ortolan

so as to hide his face from god (usopp)

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

Flubby posted:

So Blackbeard took a bite of Whitebeard but covered up first like he was eating ortolan bunting so the rest of the world doesn't learn you can do that. Is he feeding people to his crew? Are the Blackbeard pirates a gang of cannibals?
He's got two Devil Fruits!
How did that happen?
Yo-ho-ho he took a bite of Whitebeard!

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Flubby posted:

Yo ho ho he took a bite of whitebeard

E: My shame is immeasurable.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?

Carpator Diei posted:

He's got two Devil Fruits!
How did that happen?
Yo-ho-ho he took a bite of Whitebeard!

Yo his name's Burgess, he's like a wrestling guy
And an L-A-D-Y, Devon's not shy,
Auger's doing his marksman thing,
Lafitte's miming,
Doc Q's doctoring

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
Has there been a 'copies other fruit powers' fruit yet?

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019

Snazzy Frocks posted:

awakened dark dark fruit

LanceKing2200
Mar 27, 2007
Brilliant!!
The most sensible answer to Blackbeard's power acquisition is that the dark fruit somehow has the ability to stop or capture the essence of a fruit escaping from a dying person, and then transport that essence either into a prepared regular fruit or directly into a new person.

Doing it to WB was probably a test of the hypothesis, and their modus operandi for the last 2 years has been hunting down powerful fruit users, and delivering them alive to BB so he can kill them and suck their fruit out and redistribute it among his people.

BB being able to hold multiple fruit powers is likely unrelated, and due to his "weird body" that he's always had, at least since the time of the oden flashback as characters commented on it then.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

They did blow off a chunk of Whitebeards head, so it wouldn't be a stretch if Blackbeard just crawled onto his shoulder and did a little munch munch on his brains for his power.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Collapsing Farts posted:

Big moms backstory is like the most horrible loving thing in One Piece

You dont often get child cannibalism in cartoons like that

Well, usually the child cannibalism in fiction goes the other way

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i saw someone say blackbeard had to hide under the blanket because he can't turn his body to full darkness in the light of day. which i don't think is why but. i want to know!! about the blanket !!

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

It's blackbeards security blanket he can't act at full power without it.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

You have to take a bite out of the persons butt, and Blackbeard didn’t want that on his wanted poster

my parents boyfriend
Jan 28, 2007

Angel of Piratey Death, Yarrr!
Shanks is really looking like the odd man out in these bounty posters now. He's the only one not laughing like an insane person.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

oddium posted:

i saw someone say blackbeard had to hide under the blanket because he can't turn his body to full darkness in the light of day. which i don't think is why but. i want to know!! about the blanket !!

I dunno, that makes perfect sense to me, it sounds like the kind of wacky limitation Oda would place on an extremely dangerous and serious yet also very goofy character like Blackbeard.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

my parents boyfriend posted:

Shanks is really looking like the odd man out in these bounty posters now. He's the only one not laughing like an insane person.

He's pissed his name is Re D. Hairhshanks

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
It would be a pretty wild loophole to the “eating 2 DFs kills you” rule if you could just eat the DF user directly and be fine with multiple fruits

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

my parents boyfriend posted:

It's a fun bit of world building that was included for the heck of it. A lot of bounty pics are taken without anyone knowing due to stealthy photographers or a literal invisible man.

But for the Yonko, and other powerful characters, they're looking directly at the camera because they're fully aware of them and allowed it to happen. Except for Shanks who is a bit shy and purposefully looking away. Luffy was a bit occupied and it was done by the CP0 guy anyway.

Incidentally since Buggy is looking at the camera it confirms he's mastered Observation Haki. Those are the rules.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

oddium posted:

blackbeard just has a flair for the dramatic

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Crosspeice posted:

It's a fun bit of world building that was included for the heck of it. A lot of bounty pics are taken without anyone knowing due to stealthy photographers or a literal invisible man.

Nah, Absalom worked for Morgans, not the Marines. There is a character who does the bounty posters who was mentioned on a SBS and even had a minor appearance once but I forgot his name.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Attach

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

oddium posted:

He was shy.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

Snazzy Frocks posted:

Pretty much every OP video game has a villain that can make clones of people including their powers so they can justify having you fight all the Straw Hats old enemies in one place

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
You'd think Bege's Big Mom killing plan would have involved acquiring a devil fruit and putting it in her food. She wasn't exactly picky or relying on a poison tester.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

DeadBonesBrook posted:

You'd think Bege's Big Mom killing plan would have involved acquiring a devil fruit and putting it in her food. She wasn't exactly picky or relying on a poison tester.

That seems like the sort of thing that Oda would genuinely enjoy coming up with some sort of goofy explanation for in an SBS.

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era

Darth Walrus posted:

That seems like the sort of thing that Oda would genuinely enjoy coming up with some sort of goofy explanation for in an SBS.

Something like Bege tried, but he only found Zoan fruits and they kept willfully refusing to go along with it.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

DeadBonesBrook posted:

It's wild to me that in all the years since we've been told this is what happens when someone eats two devil fruits we've still never actually seen it happen

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!
Pretty sure this was covered officially already. Devil Fruits taste so bad that Big Mom would reflexively spit it out the second it touched her tongue.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

DeadBonesBrook posted:

bege probably thought it would be rad as poo poo to very publically point big rocket launchers at big mom, killing her instantly, and then running away

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?
I always pictured them as taking effect the moment they hit your... tongue I guess? Do you have to swallow a bite?

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Buggy had the whole thing in his mouth before accidentally swallowing it lol

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

You'd also have to get it to Big Mom somehow, because literally anyone on the chain who recognized it as a DF would be able to simultaneously get a free fruit power and probably be able to report it and get a promotion.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

Nessus posted:

You'd also have to get it to Big Mom somehow, because literally anyone on the chain who recognized it as a DF would be able to simultaneously get a free fruit power and probably be able to report it and get a promotion.

I mean it doesn't have to be the whole fruit. Presumably you could just take a tiny little piece of it and hide it in the giant wedding cake they had to make for Big Mom while she was rampaging. I guess the hardest part of the idea is finding devil fruits to use?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

When I first started reading One Piece I thought many more fights would be about knocking the opponent into sea water to disable them, but beyond what the Arlong fight? it hardly ever comes up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

socialsecurity posted:

When I first started reading One Piece I thought many more fights would be about knocking the opponent into sea water to disable them, but beyond what the Arlong fight? it hardly ever comes up.

There was King vs. Big Mom. Also, the other Straw Hats used water to get Chopper out of his monster form at Enies Lobby. But yes, it comes up less than you might expect. This is partly because fights generally happen in the middle of islands rather than aboard ships, and partly because a lot of Devil Fruit users can effectively fly anyway. Seastone, despite its supposed rarity, takes down Devil Fruit users a lot more often than water does.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Jul 11, 2022