Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
A very happy ending!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
If it's fear that gives devils power, introducing kids to a cuddly helpless devil is actually a pretty sound strategy to defang them.

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Squidster posted:

If it's fear that gives devils power, introducing kids to a cuddly helpless devil is actually a pretty sound strategy to defang them.

this only affects the Devil Devil

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I hope there's some strange situation that leads to the War Devil and Denji teaming up. It seems like a bit of a waste for her to get a whole introductory chapter like this before getting chainsawed, and we need a new heroine between now and the Blood Devil coming back (other than poor, poor Kobeni, who frankly deserves a very long break away from all this).

Baron La Croix
Nov 2, 2010

rastah farah
sonnah maddah fah
What if Kobeni made a contract with the Death Devil and that's what's kept her alive while everybody she meets dies

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Darth Walrus posted:

I hope there's some strange situation that leads to the War Devil and Denji teaming up. It seems like a bit of a waste for her to get a whole introductory chapter like this before getting chainsawed, and we need a new heroine between now and the Blood Devil coming back (other than poor, poor Kobeni, who frankly deserves a very long break away from all this).

Given her stated objective I don't know what would make Denji want to cooperate with her

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Baron La Croix posted:

What if Kobeni made a contract with the Death Devil and that's what's kept her alive while everybody she meets dies

Or my pet theory the reason she survived the darkness devil is because that’s who she made a deal with in the first place

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Or my pet theory the reason she survived the darkness devil is because that’s who she made a deal with in the first place

It’s way funnier if she’s just simultaneously incredibly lucky and unlucky.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Just lol if you don't think that Mitaka is replacing Denji as the new protagonist.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Blockhouse posted:

Given her stated objective I don't know what would make Denji want to cooperate with her

She's a girl?

Would Denji even care about her objective?

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

Lt. Lizard posted:

Just lol if you don't think that Mitaka is replacing Denji as the new protagonist.

This chapter could be setting her up as purely the main antagonist or debuting the new lead and honestly im here for either! I love the main conceit thats been setup in this chapter

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

LostRook posted:

She's a girl?

Look, if she doesn't allow for lovely movies, she's gotta die.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Pontius Pilate offering the people of Judaea the choice of returning Power or Bucky

The crowd goes cluck wild for Bucky

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

LostRook posted:

She's a girl?

It's entirely possible that Denji has learned blindly following every girl is not the best idea

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Like everyone else I'm not sure if this is one of the Hybrids (makima specified CSM ate their name but they didn't disappear) or a fiend. Fiends do have some kind of facial deformity and War has the scars from where she was cut by her classmate. The other hybrids recovered all damage to them as well as get a total head transformation. However if she was a fiend I don't think War would offer a contract, just take the body. Fiends don't have contracts they're just inhabited dead bodies. No way Aki would ever have become the gun fiend if a contract was needed.

I suppose there is no reason not to assume this is just a regular human-devil contract with very uncommon terms. Maybe a "I make you strong as hell and heal you but I also take over control"

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Denji in the last couple chapters had lost much of his Chaotic Dumbass energy and seemed pretty worn out. he’s probably bounced back some, question is how much

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Blockhouse posted:

It's entirely possible that Denji has learned blindly following every girl is not the best idea

Kishibe has taken over his tinder by force. Swiping left on women "KGB, Lust Devil, Disney adult"

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

EDIT: the chapter has been out for six hours and people are already doing poo poo like this
https://twitter.com/Kiecaburn/status/1546951766993866752

Sagabal fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jul 12, 2022

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

No oversized portraits of Lemmy Kilmister please.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

Darth Walrus posted:

I hope we get a team up as well, at least for some period of time. Some very fun and terrifying powers on display from the War devil as well, and it seems like all she needs to do is touch you and you're pretty hosed (though maybe Chainsawman regen could help out with that a bit).

I'm also 100% behind Denji not really having learned his lesson and being A-OK with bringing Nukes back as long as he gets to date a cute girl.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Oh Chainsaw Man.....

How I missed you.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

NowonSA posted:

I hope we get a team up as well, at least for some period of time. Some very fun and terrifying powers on display from the War devil as well, and it seems like all she needs to do is touch you and you're pretty hosed (though maybe Chainsawman regen could help out with that a bit).

I'm also 100% behind Denji not really having learned his lesson and being A-OK with bringing Nukes back as long as he gets to date a cute girl.

I mean, as early as the Eternity arc, we saw that, for Denji, 'learning a lesson' and 'actually acting on that lesson' are not exactly one to one.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I'm also realizing that with things like the Gun Devil able to massacre vast swathes of people basically instantly and the Darkness Devil just immediately owning anything it wants to, War Devil's powers seem incredibly weak by comparison. They seemed strong to me at first glance, but only in a "this thing's gotta be nasty in a 1 on 1 fight" way and not a "gonna own everyone immediately" way. I feel like there's going to be some story reasons to explain why it's weak enough that it needs to partner up with anyone at all, and why the powers it grants don't seem to be anywhere near some devils that seem like they'd be roughly comparable in terms of how feared they are.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

NowonSA posted:

I'm also realizing that with things like the Gun Devil able to massacre vast swathes of people basically instantly and the Darkness Devil just immediately owning anything it wants to, War Devil's powers seem incredibly weak by comparison. They seemed strong to me at first glance, but only in a "this thing's gotta be nasty in a 1 on 1 fight" way and not a "gonna own everyone immediately" way. I feel like there's going to be some story reasons to explain why it's weak enough that it needs to partner up with anyone at all, and why the powers it grants don't seem to be anywhere near some devils that seem like they'd be roughly comparable in terms of how feared they are.

Compare Aki as the Gun Fiend or the doll devil after her contract to the gun devil and darkness devils. We're not seeing Pure War. Also it's not like they would have required a Gun Devil level manifestation to wipe out some weak loser. We don't know ho much of of their power they can bring to bear in the form they're currently in.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

NowonSA posted:

Random passerby cruise missile. Onlooking crowd bomber. Elementary school battleship.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Yeah, War probably requires a lot of people to shine.

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.

Alejandro Sanchez posted:

EDIT: the chapter has been out for six hours and people are already doing poo poo like this

https://twitter.com/Kekeflipnote/status/1223675125154897920

internet gonna internet.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I Am Fowl posted:

Yeah, War probably requires a lot of people to shine.

True, with a bunch of poor innocents around they can probably do some insane stuff. I also hadn't thought of that difference between "power level of a devil possessing a body/making a contract with someone" and "power level of that devil itself fully manifesting and doing things on their own."

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

NowonSA posted:

I'm also realizing that with things like the Gun Devil able to massacre vast swathes of people basically instantly and the Darkness devil just immediately owning anything it wants to, War devil's powers seem incredibly weak by comparison. I feel like there's going to be some story reasons to explain why it's weak enough that it needs to partner up with anyone at all, and why the powers it grants don't seem to be anywhere near some devils that seem like they'd be roughly comparable in terms of how feared they are.

the 'violence' devil that was pals with Kobeni would be in the same bucket, I'd say

theory one: in a world with devils, the fear of human violence upon itself is lessened in comparison. Like, it's a semi-common occurance that a devil will just appear and gently caress you up, so being mugged is way less scary, or the idea of two countries going to war is treated fairly lightly.

addendum: Perhaps human violence actually is suppressed, compared to reality- possibly because human individuals or gov'ts have an outside enemy to focus on, that tangibly gets stronger with human conflict and fear.

addendum 2: the nations seem to focus on weaponizing devils in various ways kind of a cold war race. So again conflict isn't so much outright war of 'dudes with guns and planes with bombs' but 'collecting the gun devils shards and brainwashing a teenage bomb-devil hybrid' shadow conflict. Not conducive to a 'war devil'.

two: abstract concepts are not generally as strong as direct in your face objects, or primal brainstem fears.
ie. you fear 'war', but it's the gun or bomb that actually gets you, and war is just many people getting got by many guns and bombs. Like, do you fear war itself, or is war were declared a signifier that now's the time to get really scared of guns and bombs?

although, Makima exists as a counter example to both those- although, how strong was Makima on her own? and how much was her being able to network a collection of other devils bound to her, and piggyback off human structures?

three: similar to how the actual chainsawman/pochita was injured before the story started, or how the violence devil apparently became a fiend (and weakened), there's inter-devil or character conflict that has hosed up the War devil.

addendum: Chainsawman eating nuclear weapons fits 1.a and 3, as a character/individual having a far reaching suppressing effect on the nature of large scale human conflicts

Mazerunner fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Jul 12, 2022

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

War trying to get those nukes back

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Chapter fuckin ruled.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

My guess on a Calling Party if it's not some JP thing is where you and a bunch of friends get together and yell "save us chainsaw man" like doing candy man in the mirror or whatever

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

NowonSA posted:

Theres a real chance war was killed when pure chainsawman dove into hell, and was reborn in a weakened state in this world.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Mazerunner posted:

the 'violence' devil that was pals with Kobeni would be in the same bucket, I'd say

Even as a fiend, Violence had a mask that kept him drugged up and mellow.

Power is one of the best examples, though, since we spend most of the series with her barely able to do anything with anyone else's blood at point blank range, while Devil Power explodes people with swords made of their own blood.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Makima specifically says that Power is kept at a lower level than normal by regularly draining her blood.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.

chiasaur11 posted:

Even as a fiend, Violence had a mask that kept him drugged up and mellow.

Power is one of the best examples, though, since we spend most of the series with her barely able to do anything with anyone else's blood at point blank range, while Devil Power explodes people with swords made of their own blood.

I don't want to "um actually" you but when you say "barely able to do anything..." I think you meant "magnanimously chose not to do anything..."

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
In part 2 Denji must fight the forces of OSHA and the Underwriter Labs who are working to make Chainsaws safer to use and less dangerous in the eyes of the public.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
https://twitter.com/hachurart/status/1546997534295482369

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
good chapter, i've definitely missed this series

the antics of bucky never really hooked me because i was waiting for the shoe to drop, but everything from the demon reveal to the end of the chapter was aces. the spine sword was disturbing on a visceral level. with all the hosed up stuff fujimoto has already drawn in chainsaw man and firepunch, i'm always amazed that he can still consistently suprise