Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
I guess there is also the possibility that Woli is good enough to pose a challenge to Ricardo but finally gets DQed for all the dumb poo poo he pulls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

tbp posted:

it's almost loving bizarre how well i remember this series despite its absurd length. i wish i could shake out some of that information my the recesses of my brain to replace with more useful stuff lol

It'd just be sa drama taking its place I can assure you

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Jose posted:

It'd just be sa drama taking its place I can assure you

dude not quite. i've actually forgotten a lot of pwm poo poo at this point (and i genuinely regret that because i remember how funny a lot of it was). i got bizarrely into mathematics over the last 6 or so years so it'd probably just be more of that

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
Chapter 1388
:cheeky:

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Centzon Totochtin posted:

I guess there is also the possibility that Woli is good enough to pose a challenge to Ricardo but finally gets DQed for all the dumb poo poo he pulls

I'm not looking forward to Woli getting Apollo Creed-ed vs Ricardo.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Not a bad chapter but man this is giving me apollo creed vibes.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

I think the detail about Ricardo's family and childhood is pretty thematically important. It seems to tie pretty directly with his conception of strength, as does Ippo's childhood with his conception. Ricardo sees strength as a mountain, one that he can and did summit. Ippo sees strength as the ocean, untamable and ethereal in many respects.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?

Jiro posted:

I'm not looking forward to Woli getting Apollo Creed-ed vs Ricardo.

I am. I hope Woli dies from injuries dealt by Ricardo while doing his Blanka from SF2 tricks and that finally convinces Ippo to return (to avenge Woli? I guess?)

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Woli winning would be an amazing turn. It would feel really wrong and then like 300 chapters later we'd be talking about how good of a decision it was.

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
Woli beats Ricardo and gets a taste for blood, kills Sendo and then kidnaps Kumi. A physically broken Ricardo becomes the real coach daddy Ippo always needed and Ippo pistolwhips Woli to death with his magnum dong.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

DeadBonesBrook posted:

I am. I hope Woli dies from injuries dealt by Ricardo while doing his Blanka from SF2 tricks and that finally convinces Ippo to return (to avenge Woli? I guess?)

Ippo: *watching Woli die from his shenanigans* I understand now. The basics are really important!!

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Woli gonna get that bloodlust by biting a chunk of Ricardo's ear off, then screaming to him "My style is impetuous, my defense is impregnable, and I'm just ferocious. I want your heart, I want to eat your children!" :v:

BHB
Aug 28, 2011
no idea what the goal of this sidetrack is, maybe to up the stakes for Sendo's fight? Woli gets iced, Sendo gets 'permanently' retired, but tells Ippo "lol this guy knows what strength is fr", ippo starts boxing again?

or maybe it's going to show that someone without sakki can still compete with the best of the best.

Woli is absolutely a jobber who is about to get poo poo on though.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I forgot that Ricardo is actually quite short. I could see Wally putting up a pretty good fight despite what everyone thinks.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Jul 13, 2022

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I now want Wally to electrocute Ricardo, Blanka-style

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Judging from the page with Wally getting along with all the squirrels, he is dead as gently caress

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Judging from the panel of Woli with all the squirrels Ricardo is going to be destroyed by a swarm of angry squirrels.

runwiled
Feb 21, 2011

BHB posted:

no idea what the goal of this sidetrack is, maybe to up the stakes for Sendo's fight? Woli gets iced, Sendo gets 'permanently' retired, but tells Ippo "lol this guy knows what strength is fr", ippo starts boxing again?

or maybe it's going to show that someone without sakki can still compete with the best of the best.

Woli is absolutely a jobber who is about to get poo poo on though.

Or it's something like both boxers fail, one with bloodlust, one without so maybe that's not the factor in beating Ricardo. Both Woli and Sendo are very instinctual fighters though so maybe it's all lesson building for Ippo about, "There's a time to be fierce, there's a time to be calm in a fight. Technique and hard work are what's going to get you far but sometimes you just need that X factor too or maybe good luck. Strength is the journey to victory."

Or something like that. If Ricardo is the end point of this manga then it needs to be a culmination of everything Ippo has experienced.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I got a pretty good idea where Mori is going with this

right now, Ippo is paralleling Wally. Both of them right now are incredibly skilled boxers. Ippo through hard work and Wally, for, let's be real, bullshit natural abilities. The problem is, they both don't have that killer instinct or "monsters." Takamura mentions this being necessary to win.
It's reflected in the characters eyes. Recently, top level fighters pupils have sort of turned white when they've had insane determination. Ippo had flashes of this with his fight with Volg, but this was his drive to be useful.

It's been a problem that Ippo hasn't really had the drive he once had. Wally is going to get beaten by Ricardo due to differing mindsets. He's going to give Ricardo a decent fight due to his skills, but it's not going to be enough. It's going to result in Ippo having to confront his own views and feelings towards boxing and his desires.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Rubellavator posted:

Woli winning would be an amazing turn. It would feel really wrong and then like 300 chapters later we'd be talking about how good of a decision it was.
800 chapters later we are still talking about how much woli sucks...

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
I had to know and it looks like the intro chapter with Wally, 857, was in the June 17, 2009 issue of Magazine.

So we've had Wally for 13 years and 532 chapters.

BHB
Aug 28, 2011

Monaghan posted:

right now, Ippo is paralleling Wally. Both of them right now are incredibly skilled boxers. Ippo through hard work and Wally, for, let's be real, bullshit natural abilities. The problem is, they both don't have that killer instinct or "monsters." Takamura mentions this being necessary to win.
It's reflected in the characters eyes. Recently, top level fighters pupils have sort of turned white when they've had insane determination. Ippo had flashes of this with his fight with Volg, but this was his drive to be useful.

It's been a problem that Ippo hasn't really had the drive he once had. Wally is going to get beaten by Ricardo due to differing mindsets. He's going to give Ricardo a decent fight due to his skills, but it's not going to be enough. It's going to result in Ippo having to confront his own views and feelings towards boxing and his desires.

I'm tracking with the eyes thing, I think the first time we see it is Takamura's final counter against Hawk? It would also be very Mori to have a whole fight to really hammer home something he'd already made clear a bunch, lol.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Monaghan posted:

adding to your point here, ippo's eyes notably went into the "hyper focused / determined mode" during his spar with volg. it's pretty purposeful

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

mori thinks that the best possible fighter is a perfect mixture between instinct and science. he first outright states this at the end of the takamura vs hawk fight, he repeats it very loudly during alf's fight with sendo. the 'instinct' portion can be mapped onto savagery/bloodlust, the 'science' portion can be mapped onto high level techniques/strategy/'upping the basics'

we've seen what this form of ippo is like...in the prior few chapters. he's never going to be like takamura or sendo or someone like that, he's going to find that monstrosity in him through another route, probably in the form of 'helping' his opponent. i don't think it's a coincidence that the thing ricardo wants most is an opponent that can stand up to his best efforts, but i do wonder how ippo will learn of this desire so that he can have it in his mind for their fight.

i think it's a pretty nice metaphor that ricardo is a mountain, ippo is the ocean, and how else are mountains worn down if not by endless dogedness and erosion? ippo even says to kamogawa that in his mental simulations, he saw a way to get into ricardo, so long as he stuck to him as much as possible

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

I'm still intending to read this sometime, where the anime left off. It's gonna happen. I've taken a peak at this thread here and there, good to see the manga going strong.

Back when I got into manga back in the day, I seemed to read 7 to 10 volumes of everything. Unless it was picking up where an anime left of like Kenshin, or Slam Dunk more recently. Quite the backlog. Nice to know there's so much Ippo to check out though, the anime is in my top 10 for sure.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Heavy Metal posted:

Unless it was picking up where an anime left of like Kenshin

Oof, who wants to tell him?

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

My point there was just kinda noticing that I haven't read as much manga as I'd like, and a big anime headstart like Ippo seems to help.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

BHB posted:

I'm tracking with the eyes thing, I think the first time we see it is Takamura's final counter against Hawk? It would also be very Mori to have a whole fight to really hammer home something he'd already made clear a bunch, lol.

Isn't that just when they glow green in the anime? It happens several times in the original show and yeah it's always meant to indicate Unbeatable Japanese Burning Bushido Spirit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNTmT177Edo&t=82s

e:
Watching random Ippo clips now and stumbled across what may be the best example of glowy determination eyes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hpw3ItaYac0

Takes No Damage fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Jul 14, 2022

BHB
Aug 28, 2011

Takes No Damage posted:

Isn't that just when they glow green in the anime? It happens several times in the original show and yeah it's always meant to indicate Unbeatable Japanese Burning Bushido Spirit:

e:
Watching random Ippo clips now and stumbled across what may be the best example of glowy determination eyes:

maybe? It looks closer to the white eyes thing the manga is doing now to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6IpLPZ3bHQ&t=150s

e: also, how good were these fights, goddamn this series was good for the first big chunk of it

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Ippo's fights were animated pretty good, especially the movie ones..

Just Ippo v.s Sendo in the begining. Perfection.

Also ippos eyes werent' just white, they were swirly which is a tad different from the japaense spirit. I'm pretty much echoing the same sentiments as the other poster though.

Woli gonna get Apollo Creed'd.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Takes No Damage posted:

e:

from my recollection of the anime, they used the green eyes to indicate 'no, i'm not dead, my fists are still alive' and the white eyes to indicate 'i'm at 120% right now, i'm in my best form'

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Chapter 1389

New chap, chaps

OF loving COURSE THERE'S BREAK NEXT WEEK, gotta get ahead and draw up sketches for Woli's island funeral I guess.

Jiro fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Jul 19, 2022

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
when I'm in Mexico City I am definitely going to "Mexican Restaurante"

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
Well where else are you gonna order a bunch of sliced up fruit

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I've seen Ippo beaten into a possibly-concussed bloody state, had his dream deferred and shattered, constantly fail to hook up with his hypothetical girlfriend, receive all manner of Takamura-dispatched abuse, and I've never felt as sorry for him as I did in this chapter

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
:allears: Oh my god i would love george if ippo pulls a rocky 4 on woli and refuses to throw in the towel lol

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Shindragon posted:

:allears: Oh my god i would love george if ippo pulls a rocky 4 on woli and refuses to throw in the towel lol

How Rocky never got arrested when everyone around him was telling him to throw in the towel, Duke, included is a mystery. Plus I always expected there to have been a few deleted scenes of Duke trying to murder Rocky while they trained in Siberia/Canada.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Jiro posted:

How Rocky never got arrested when everyone around him was telling him to throw in the towel, Duke, included is a mystery. Plus I always expected there to have been a few deleted scenes of Duke trying to murder Rocky while they trained in Siberia/Canada.
right?!! Like all you had to do was throw the drat towel Rocky

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

ippo being asked to be a 2nd is the clearest indication yet that there's not gonna be anything resembling an upset here, gotta be front and center to learn the real lesson to taking down ricardo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Shindragon posted:

right?!! Like all you had to do was throw the drat towel Rocky

It was a loving EXHIBITION match ffs. Only Apollo was going to try going all out, Drago didn't give a flying gently caress either way.