Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Calidus posted:

I don’t know the Lakers would flip Westbrook for Bertans and Dinwiddie straight up lol

In that scenario, the Lakers are involved in a 3 way trade with the Mavs getting the worst of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CoolRanch
Apr 5, 2019
Peak mavs would be super maxing Wiggins and somehow losing the next 3 years worth of draft picks.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Peak Mavs was signing Harrison Barnes and showing a public picture of handcuffing him

JackBandit
Jun 6, 2011

Doltos posted:

It's not too egregious but he definitely needs to just remove those near the top of the key shots that people always think they can make but are probably the hardest shot in basketball

The shot chart looks ok but for me, shot selection is more about decision making and opportunity cost. That Jazz offense was awesome, and a lot of those shots would have been better spent moving the ball around. I might be wrong: maybe he was the straw that stirs the drink, but if he moves to a worse offense like the Knicks with less space and gravity, and his percentages drop a little bit, he’s Westbrook without the passing.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Forrest on Fire posted:

It's very Mavs to start the period publicly hoping for Brunson, then Dragic, then Schroeder, only to settle for Eric Bledsoe

This is almost certainly what is going to happen, even though they literally had Brunson and had Dragic ready to sign.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

look, as mavs fans sometimes we just need to look at the bright side of life

https://twitter.com/BibsCorner/status/1545509737122390018

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

It's not that Donovan has terrible shot selection. It's that he's had a big tendency to play Hero Ball on a team with other good offensive options while at the same time being not LeBron James or prime Kobe Bryant or prime Michael Jordan.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

why are the Mavs so obsessed with getting a completely washed dude who shoots 25% from 3 and can't play defense.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

R.D. Mangles posted:

why are the Mavs so obsessed with getting a completely washed dude who shoots 25% from 3 and can't play defense.

The goal is to make the 2007 Cavs look like the 2015 Warriors

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Magic getting super spicy
https://twitter.com/nbarespectfully/status/1540522656134561792

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Crazy Ted posted:

It's not that Donovan has terrible shot selection. It's that he's had a big tendency to play Hero Ball on a team with other good offensive options while at the same time being not LeBron James or prime Kobe Bryant or prime Michael Jordan.

Imo what Donovan gives you on o is erased by his d a lot of nights. This will be more obvious now that the Jazz traded their D.

R.D. Mangles posted:

They aren’t. They keep not signing him. It is the fanbase and Luka that wants him. Imo this would have been a cheap way to keep their star happy. Dragic probably would have gotten hurt pretty quick though.

Everything the Mavs do from now until their next deal should focus on one of two things. Winning a title or keeping Luka happy.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jul 13, 2022

CoolRanch
Apr 5, 2019

R.D. Mangles posted:

They've already gotten rid of his best friend Bobi and running mate Brunson, and they probably read this article:
https://theathletic.com/2058113/2020/09/11/it-was-a-crazy-night-how-the-balkan-boys-bonded-in-the-nba-bubble/

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

R.D. Mangles posted:

They have like 1.5 people who can actually create anything resembling offense on the roster. If they don't do anything get ready for tons of 4th quarter collapses as "just tire Luka out" becomes an easy W for any team that wants it.

Brunson and Dinwiddie made them pay for that but I don't think Dinwiddie is enough by himself.

I mean, Dragic doesn't exactly solve this completely either but in theory he gives you another option. Sort of.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Lmao, a team co-owner wanting their best player on another team.

https://twitter.com/bleacherreport/status/1547009401285775362?s=21&t=g5FpmyQ6K51Ub7D4OAeQag

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
Is there some CBA reason that prevented Wade from joining Heat ownership? It still really weird that someone wouldn’t sell Wade 0.5% of the Heat.

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

This whole thing reminds me of Derek Jeter bought a stake in the Miami Marlins and they immediately traded Giancarlo Stanton to the Yankees for peanuts.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

gettemmm

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

This whole thing reminds me of Derek Jeter bought a stake in the Miami Marlins and they immediately traded Giancarlo Stanton to the Yankees for peanuts.
Jeets becoming CEO of the Marlins and then immediately dismantling the team and junking the dinger statue should have kept him out of the hall. Especially getting rid of the dinger statue.

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Jul 13, 2022

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Calidus posted:

Is there some CBA reason that prevented Wade from joining Heat ownership? It still really weird that someone wouldn’t sell Wade 0.5% of the Heat.

No problems, Heat Ownership are just lovely or the franchise is valued too highly

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Didn't the Heat ownership famously complain that the two rings were too expensive for the cost

Also Wade's last few years was like really bad vibes when they chose Hassan Whiteside over him

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
It doesn't really look like Wade was paying attention to what that dude said

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Mitchell and Butler on the same team would be hilarious.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
One day in future team ownership will Collude for max drama.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

That 100% sounds like Wade hearing some fan yell "Hey Wade You wanna mumfufmf?" And he goes "yeah"

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I just listened to a really great interview with Chris Bosh and man he’s such an interesting and genuinely good dude in every possible way. I love Chris Bosh. I have nothing else to add I just wanted to dump this.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Tae posted:

I can't tell who's the dumber in that tweet, Goran or the Mavs

Definitely a Mavs issue. Players having ridiculous, outsized egos and expectations is completely normal in the NBA, particularly for these older vets. It's up to management and coaches to get their guy and, well, manage all of that stuff.

Vox Nihili fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jul 13, 2022

Cart Mountain
Nov 1, 2004

that's fair. chris bosh rules.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Embiid abandoning his county and getting a French passport to lose by less to America at the Olympics is hilarious.

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Spacebump posted:

Embiid abandoning his county and getting a French passport to lose by less to America at the Olympics is hilarious.

The French frontcourt of Wembayama/Gobert/Embiid is fun in Olympic play. A shame about their guards.

TDepressionEarl
Oct 28, 2010

I'm trying to win the World Cup
but I'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps playing Argentina onside

Forrest on Fire posted:

The French frontcourt of Wembayama/Gobert/Embiid is fun in Olympic play. A shame about their guards.

If Embiid wants an MVP award he will need to play Jokic-style point big and the French national team is the perfect place to start. He's not a terrible shooter either, makes great free throws, I'd argue his worst skill isn't his passing but his vision. Vision in the literal sense after his orbital injury and also a figurative tunnel vision, because when you're a seven foot center that can make the and one, why not go downhill?

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Watch Ray Allen Explain Why LeBron James Isn't the GOAT
https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/watch-ray-allen-explain-why-160508275.html

NBA will pay former ABA players $25 million: 'This will be life changing for them'
https://www.yahoo.com/news/nba-pay-former-aba-players-011656972.html

iamsosmrt posted:

Duncan was amazing. I don't doubt KG Spurs would still beat those Knicks and Nets, but would they have made it to the Finals? There were some powerhouses in those years.

I would like their chances in 2003 more than 1999.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

There was awkwardness between LeBron and Russell Westbrook on Friday
https://sports.yahoo.com/awkwardness-between-lebron-russell-westbrook-140023933.html

I remember seeing this live on TV.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Enes Kanter Freedom Rips LeBron Over Griner Comments ... 'You Are Free To Leave'
https://www.tmz.com/2022/07/13/enes-kanter-freedom-rips-lebron-james-brittney-griner-nba-wnba-russia-america/

LeBron James Clarifies Brittney Griner Comment ... 'Wasn’t Knocking Our Beautiful Country'
https://www.tmz.com/2022/07/12/lebron-james-says-he-would-question-returning-america-brittney-griner-russia-arrest-wnba/

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe
Maybe Magic Johnson is a Kiwi

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

BSO headlines are so good

https://twitter.com/bso/status/1547279854516768768?s=21&t=pdGGPSvbMQepZoiLVcHiKw

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Slowly becoming obsessed with some of these rookies. David Roddy and Kenneth Lofton Jr. are so different from the norm.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Zogo posted:

Enes Kanter Freedom Rips LeBron Over Griner Comments ... 'You Are Free To Leave'
https://www.tmz.com/2022/07/13/enes-kanter-freedom-rips-lebron-james-brittney-griner-nba-wnba-russia-america/

I parsed that as Enes Kanter “freedom rips” LeBron and it sounded awesome.

I’m gonna go take a freedom rip and watch Kings/Thunder

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Small penis big headlines

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

skipmyseashells posted:

I don’t like dragic either but this is just insane, dragic wasn’t that bad in the playoffs two years ago

Okay Rob Pelinka.

Anyway, the Heat pretty much had him on the Mavs plan then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Hornets rookies looking frisky, hope they sign McGowens to a real deal.

Today was the deadline to rescind Miles Bridges’ QO so it looks like he has a one year deal if he wants it. Sounds like the team is waiting for his court date to make a move