Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

There are currently $250 2060s and 3050s in B Stock right now too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eviltastic
Feb 8, 2004

Fan of Britches

hobbesmaster posted:

I hope they only built like 100 of those 3090tis because I suspect it’s going to be difficult to move those.

They also have various flavors of 3090 in their B-stock for 1200 with no effort to price-differentiate models. Including the Kingpin card, heh.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
wait, I'm triply dumb, apparently can't read evga's price tags, thought it was 1099 -330, but it's 1099 after a -330 instant rebate, aborting cancellation request.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

gradenko_2000 posted:

so Intel manages to release a dedicated GPU at a time when it prices have come down and supply has improved so much that it's no longer going to exert competitive pressure on the market, AND it can't compete with its similarly-priced peers?

like, I'm not saying Intel could/should have released earlier, but that's really unforunate

For a brief moment, this thread almost had me convinced Intel was going to save us from crypto farmers and the Nvidia monopoly. almost

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

runaway dog posted:

wait, I'm triply dumb, apparently can't read evga's price tags, thought it was 1099 -330, but it's 1099 after a -330 instant rebate, aborting cancellation request.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

3080 12GB for $730 after promo code: https://www.newegg.com/gigabyte-geforce-rtx-3080-gv-n3080gaming-oc-12gd/p/N82E16814932489

Considering this is a factory OC version of the enhanced 12GB model, I think we can finally say that we've basically hit MSRP on the 3080. We finally did it guys, just 22 months after release. :')

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I'm okay not seeing that, I don't buy from newegg anymore and I haven't had the best history with gigabyte products.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

For :canada: goons I just noticed that the EVGA 3080 12GB is a whopping $600 off, $1100CAD

https://www.memoryexpress.com/Category/VideoCards?FilterID=aed4067e-7237-7be0-2848-4aba848a2876

Only $50 more than the 10GB.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

runaway dog posted:

I'm okay not seeing that, I don't buy from newegg anymore and I haven't had the best history with gigabyte products.

Good news then, Best Buy evga 3080 12gb for $799
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/evga-n...p?skuId=6500781

It’s even the ftw ultra3, that’s probably under the original nominal MSRP for the 10gig.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

hobbesmaster posted:

Good news then, Best Buy evga 3080 12gb for $799
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/evga-n...p?skuId=6500781

It’s even the ftw ultra3, that’s probably under the original nominal MSRP for the 10gig.

yeah, well, I already messaged and asked to cancel then requested to not cancel, I'm already past the stage where I can just click the cancel button, and to the message the seller and hope they'll still cancel stage.

edit: also that is unavailable for delivery and the closest store is 100 miles away so yeah

runaway dog fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jul 13, 2022

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Your business whether to buy from Newegg or not but I had zero problems buying my card from them a couple months ago, FWIW.

Wish I'd waited for the Gigabyte model as it is a bit fancier and has RGB. Mine don't shine :smith: But I got two months of shiny pixels, they can't take that away from me

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

I know this is mostly an opinion based thing but for people who have their finger on the PC hardware pulse, does it seems like I better idea to buy in the the 30 series this late while they’re available, or wait for the 40 series at this point? Like do we expect the 40 series to go through the same crazy cycle?

Canna Happy
Jul 11, 2004
The engine, code A855, has a cast iron closed deck block and split crankcase. It uses an 8.1:1 compression ratio with Mahle cast eutectic aluminum alloy pistons, forged connecting rods with cracked caps and threaded-in 9 mm rod bolts, and a cast high

GruntyThrst posted:

I know this is mostly an opinion based thing but for people who have their finger on the PC hardware pulse, does it seems like I better idea to buy in the the 30 series this late while they’re available, or wait for the 40 series at this point? Like do we expect the 40 series to go through the same crazy cycle?

Depends on what tier you’re buying and if you need it. If you want top end wait, if you’re lower end maybe buy now?

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
less opinion and more an absence of a crystal ball, frankly. i'm personally very hesitant to advise on the basis prices keep coming down and i have no idea what pricing on the 40 series is going to be like, although some are hypothesising that they're trying to liquidate stock right now so it's not all competing with the 40 series. who knows.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

the other consideration is it's a very dry period for the next half year for big games so i wouldn't feel the need to rush to get a card

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

For a brief moment, this thread almost had me convinced Intel was going to save us from crypto farmers and the Nvidia monopoly. almost

I never had any doubts that intel would manage to gently caress it up.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

GruntyThrst posted:

A 3060ti style card could be over half a year away. Otoh, the 4070 might (or might not) come a fair bit earlier but will cost ???.

In my personal case, I regret not waiting, but I was buying at a time when the GPU situation still looked hopeless, so I can't fault myself too much.

If I'm talking out of my rear end, I don't think there'll be another massive crypto boom in the near future, and there's nowhere as much hype for the next gen cards as there was for Ampere (tbf, Nvidia hasn't started talking about them yet). So I think card availability should be decent after the opening weeks, so imo waiting a bit more now is sensible, unless you have a pressing need.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jul 14, 2022

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Honestly buy card you can get now if you are wanting to upgrade.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

It also depends on what kind of monitor you want to drive. If you're pushing 1080p, get something cheap now

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Just buy what you want, you can always make more money between now and 40 series launch anyways in 3-4 months, it's not like 30 series cards are suddenly going to be obsolete.

EVGA has like 649$ 3080s in their Bstock

https://www.evga.com/products/ProductList.aspx?type=8&family=GeForce+30+Series+Family

I assume every 40 series will sell out quickly on launch anyways, restocks will hopefully be more plentiful though.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

infraboy posted:

Just buy what you want, you can always make more money between now and 40 series launch anyways in 3-4 months, it's not like 30 series cards are suddenly going to be obsolete.

I don't know if this is that simple for everyone

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

gradenko_2000 posted:

can GPUs be set to certain power limits the way CPUs can?

this is entirely a thought experiment, but let's say you had an office computer like a Dell Optiplex (and disregard the space/fit limitations of it potentially being an SFF case), and it only has a 250 to 300w PSU, and it's proprietary so you can't replace it

you could use those molex adapters or sata power adapters to fill in the external power connectors of a GPU, but could you also impose a strict limit of, say, 100w or whatever, so that it'd work with the PSU, even if you were leaving a lot of performance on the table?

no, the GPU has phases that are physically hardwired to those inputs and if you didn't populate the inputs then the GPU would lose phases.

At minimum you'd need to adjust the VBIOS (iirc this is what AMD did with the RX 480 when it was over-drawing the slot and blowing up motherboards) but even in the AMD example they didn't drop whole phases, they most likely just "biased" the VRM controller so that the aux-connector phases got more time than the slot-connector phases. But either way this is at minimum something that needs VBIOS adjustment so the card understands what's going on, you can't just not plug in the connectors and have the card still work.

but yes, in software you can set arbitrary power limits and reduce the power consumption - it's literally just a slider in Afterburner. I'd highly recommend it with a 3090 ti or 3070 ti or any of the other SKUs that are basically factory-OC'd, there's no reason to run them the way they're configured when you can drop power by 30% and lose like 5% performance.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jul 14, 2022

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Paul MaudDib posted:

no, the GPU has phases that are physically hardwired to those inputs and if you didn't populate the inputs then the GPU would lose phases.

At minimum you'd need to adjust the VBIOS (iirc this is what AMD did with the RX 480 when it was over-drawing the slot and blowing up motherboards) but even in the AMD example they didn't drop whole phases, they most likely just "biased" the VRM controller so that the aux-connector phases got more time than the slot-connector phases. But either way this is at minimum something that needs VBIOS adjustment so the card understands what's going on, you can't just not plug in the connectors and have the card still work.

I wasn't talking about not-populating the connectors - I was saying that it's possible to populate the connectors with an underpowered PSU by using adapters to turn the SATA or molex cables into PCIe, but even if you did that, you still can't run a 6600XT off a 250w PSU unless you could tell it to never exceed, say, 100w.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

man im really struggling not to upgrade my 970 while i have the cash. really want to hold on for the 40 series

Lackmaster
Mar 1, 2011
When will DDR5 RAM and PCIE 5.0 motherboards be reasonable to buy?

I have the cash and desire to get a 3080 soon, but my cpu is an i5-8400 with DDR4 ram and I know it’ll be a bottleneck on 1440p. I’m concerned about upgrading my motherboard on the cusp of a big longterm change.

Lackmaster fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jul 14, 2022

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
you're a little misinformed bud - PCIe gen 4 is super common (gen 5 is the new hotness) and has been available since b570 and I think 10th gen. high end ddr4 can be nearly as fast as high end DDR5 in many gaming scenarios due to tighter timings, MUCH better price/performance.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Yeah I've avoided buying a 3080 even now because gently caress it I've waited this long what's a bit longer.

Lackmaster
Mar 1, 2011

CoolCab posted:

you're a little misinformed bud - PCIe gen 4 is super common (gen 5 is the new hotness) and has been available since b570 and I think 10th gen. high end ddr4 can be nearly as fast as high end DDR5 in many gaming scenarios due to tighter timings, MUCH better price/performance.

Whoops, that was a typo. I’ve been hearing about PCIE 5.0 SSDs also.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

gradenko_2000 posted:

I wasn't talking about not-populating the connectors - I was saying that it's possible to populate the connectors with an underpowered PSU by using adapters to turn the SATA or molex cables into PCIe, but even if you did that, you still can't run a 6600XT off a 250w PSU unless you could tell it to never exceed, say, 100w.

Wasn’t quite sure whether you were getting at that or no aux connectors at all, but in general you still have very little control over how the GPU pulls its power - it could pull all its power from the aux connectors and you have no control over that. It’s by no means guaranteed to be half and half, and actually in general it’s preferable to be pulling from the aux rather than the slot because there are a lot of crappy motherboards that are very marginal on the slot anyway. Even if the spec says that every card can pull 75w from the slot… a lot of motherboards are not designed to route 225w because nobody actually does that, so it’s safer in general to put your load on the aux cables.

If there are multiple aux connectors it’s also potentially valid to pull 150W from one and 25w from the other (for example) and when reducing power limits this will just scale down proportionally, so you might still be overdrawing a single string even if the averages are OK. It depends on how many phases are wired to each connector.

You’re violating spec by pulling that much power through a Molex or SATA and while splitting it across multiple strings will most likely work (especially on over specced enthusiast PSUs/motherboards/etc) there are still a variety of interesting edge cases that could bite, especially on cheap-rear end cost-optimized beige boxes. It’s probably safe-ish, but it depends on a lot of low-level specifics of your board, your PSU, and your card, along with how you do it.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Jul 14, 2022

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I only bought a 3080 to replace my 3070 which is kinda just alright for 1440p 240hz, deffo wasting money

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

3080 12GB for $730 after promo code: https://www.newegg.com/gigabyte-geforce-rtx-3080-gv-n3080gaming-oc-12gd/p/N82E16814932489

Considering this is a factory OC version of the enhanced 12GB model, I think we can finally say that we've basically hit MSRP on the 3080. We finally did it guys, just 22 months after release. :')

You know times have changed when the b-stock 3080s have been in-stock all day at $650. Again, like with the $720 6900XTs: wow, you gotta wonder what their sales numbers look like internally after the crypto crash. I assume “fell off a cliff” is an understatement… “powered vertical descent” is probably more like it.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

cheesetriangles posted:

Yeah I've avoided buying a 3080 even now because gently caress it I've waited this long what's a bit longer.

One question is, what performance and price point do you think the 4000 series will hit? If, for example you think nvidia will tack on +100 across the stack you’d expect 4070/4080 to be $600/$800 USD FE MSRP. With “typical” generational improvements a 3080 ti will probably be about the same performance as a 4070. So as the 12gig 3080s fall to or below FE MSRP, they may actually be a good buy even after Ada releases.

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

Paul MaudDib posted:

You know times have changed when the b-stock 3080s have been in-stock all day at $650. Again, like with the $720 6900XTs: wow, you gotta wonder what their sales numbers look like internally after the crypto crash. I assume “fell off a cliff” is an understatement… “powered vertical descent” is probably more like it.

I find it amusing that I was able to get 2 30 series cards at MSRP one during the gpu apocalypse and one after and yet I still haven't been able to score a PS5, although admittedly I haven't tried that hard

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Lackmaster posted:

Whoops, that was a typo. I’ve been hearing about PCIE 5.0 SSDs also.

Do you have a use-case for needing an SSD that fast? Because just plain PCIE 3.0 SSDs are fast enough for gaming, tbh. Most of the bottleneck when loading games is CPU.

Lackmaster
Mar 1, 2011

Kibner posted:

Do you have a use-case for needing an SSD that fast? Because just plain PCIE 3.0 SSDs are fast enough for gaming, tbh. Most of the bottleneck when loading games is CPU.

Nope. I’m just falling for the eternal desire for something better. Thanks everyone!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The use case for pcie 5 nvme drives would be getting full speed out of just using 1 lane.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

cheesetriangles posted:

I had this same exact attitude with the 20 series and then the global chip shortage happened :negative:

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Lackmaster posted:

When will DDR5 RAM and PCIE 5.0 motherboards be reasonable to buy?

I have the cash and desire to get a 3080 soon, but my cpu is an i5-8400 with DDR4 ram and I know it’ll be a bottleneck on 1440p. I’m concerned about upgrading my motherboard on the cusp of a big longterm change.

DDR5, non-Z motherboards (only Intel is doing this right now) are coming down in price already. DDR5 is in-general already always faster than DDR4, and is already comparable in price-performance at the mid-to-high end. I would expect value to increase as we get later into the year and into next year.

Paul MaudDib posted:

Wasn’t quite sure whether you were getting at that or no aux connectors at all, but in general you still have very little control over how the GPU pulls its power - it could pull all its power from the aux connectors and you have no control over that. It’s by no means guaranteed to be half and half, and actually in general it’s preferable to be pulling from the aux rather than the slot because there are a lot of crappy motherboards that are very marginal on the slot anyway. Even if the spec says that every card can pull 75w from the slot… a lot of motherboards are not designed to route 225w because nobody actually does that, so it’s safer in general to put your load on the aux cables.

If there are multiple aux connectors it’s also potentially valid to pull 150W from one and 25w from the other (for example) and when reducing power limits this will just scale down proportionally, so you might still be overdrawing a single string even if the averages are OK. It depends on how many phases are wired to each connector.

You’re violating spec by pulling that much power through a Molex or SATA and while splitting it across multiple strings will most likely work (especially on over specced enthusiast PSUs/motherboards/etc) there are still a variety of interesting edge cases that could bite, especially on cheap-rear end cost-optimized beige boxes. It’s probably safe-ish, but it depends on a lot of low-level specifics of your board, your PSU, and your card, along with how you do it.

thanks for your input! this was just me hypothesizing out loud but I appreciate thinking through it

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

CoolCab posted:

lol it also only has 8x lanes. only as bad as the 6600 rather than 6500 but how much can this possibly save

The A380 was originally spun out for laptops, and both 12th gen and Zen3+ mobile SKUs only offer 8x for PEG so its an understandable choice.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

hobbesmaster posted:

One question is, what performance and price point do you think the 4000 series will hit? If, for example you think nvidia will tack on +100 across the stack you’d expect 4070/4080 to be $600/$800 USD FE MSRP. With “typical” generational improvements a 3080 ti will probably be about the same performance as a 4070. So as the 12gig 3080s fall to or below FE MSRP, they may actually be a good buy even after Ada releases.

I don't care about any of this since I'm upgrading once in 6 years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

hobbesmaster posted:

Ok let’s do a deep dive into this rumor. 160bits of gddr6(x) is 5 modules. That’d be 80 GBit of 16GBit modules for 10GiB so the amount tracks. GDDR6 (from micron/samsung)
traditionally came in either 14 or 16 Gbps, but samsung now has one 18Gbps sku and are sampling 20 and 24 Gbps, here’s the 18Gbps to follow the rumor
https://semiconductor.samsung.com/dram/gddr/gddr6/k4zaf325bm-hc18/

Nominal memory bandwidths of the ampere cards would be:
3060 - 360 GBps
3060 ti - 448 GBps
3070 - 448 GBps
3070 ti - 608 GBps
3080 - 760 GBps

Using Samsung’s gddr6 SKUs the options for a 4070 with 5 16Gb chips would be:
14Gbps - 220 GBps
16Gbps - 320 GBps
18Gbps - 360 GBps

Ok, yes that’s a 3060. HOWEVER, remember that rumors are always wrong and recall how I said that Samsung was sampling other speeds? That was first announced in December
20Gbps - 400 GBps
24Gbps - 480 GBps
Here we go - 480 GBps is a number that would make a lot of sense!

Interestingly announced micron GDDR6x is also only up to 24Gbps. Is there any other info on that out there?

samsung basically confirmed that nvidia and/or AMD are using 24gbps in their next gen products

https://twitter.com/VideoCardz/status/1547446248667496450