Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
a new one: i was on a AF flight the other day where we delayed pushback for an hour and a half because they were trying to figure out how to deal with some passengers giant motorized wheelchair that they had checked as baggage?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

hmmm yeah that battery is gonna be a problem

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni
Has AA SWU availability always been terrible, or is it worse now? I can rarely find any flights where they are useful.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Anza Borrego posted:

Has AA SWU availability always been terrible, or is it worse now? I can rarely find any flights where they are useful.

Flights in general are hosed at the moment and unlikely to significantly improve for the next couple of years.

Anza Borrego
Feb 11, 2005

Ovis canadensis nelsoni

Midjack posted:

Flights in general are hosed at the moment and unlikely to significantly improve for the next couple of years.

Yeah, I’ve already made Plat Pro this year and get that - even when I got the SWUs last year they didn’t have much availability, and that was when flights were cheap. Was there some golden age when SWUs could actually do something for you?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

sellouts posted:

hmmm yeah that battery is gonna be a problem

the passenger was blithely insisting "well it's flown every time before without any problems" to which i was kind of like uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Midjack posted:

Why do we think it's going to take so long? Granted, with remote my travel has significantly dropped. I used to hit Delta Gold and now I doubt I'll even get Silver.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Anza Borrego posted:

Yeah, I’ve already made Plat Pro this year and get that - even when I got the SWUs last year they didn’t have much availability, and that was when flights were cheap. Was there some golden age when SWUs could actually do something for you?

Barely, but yes. When I had to use them I was clearing at the gate for 75% of them. This was 5 years ago.

That’s the new normal. These flights are booking up months in advance for premium cabins.

This was kind of my question a few weeks ago, irrops handling is cool (but even for concierge key getting a 6 ticket paid J resolved was not possible at 2 days with 4 flights daily and resulted connecting in Denver to get there, even 5 wasn’t if I threw myself back in economy). But they can’t put open seats on planes. They just answer your call faster and I guess help find a solution that still absolutely sucks.

Everyone’s situation is different and we’ve had a rooooughhhhh 4 weeks recently with travel but I really am understanding the status perks less and less. Upgrades seem like a joke for any premium / intl route.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

the passenger was blithely insisting "well it's flown every time before without any problems" to which i was kind of like uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

This is totally the same as when they catch me on flight 7 out of 8 when I’ve mistakenly carried a full tube of toothpaste every time through security, right?

sellouts fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Jun 26, 2022

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
In the past, when something happened, having status could be a life saver because a lot of airlines would rebook the frequent fliers first. It's rare, but it's definitely helped a few times in my life.

Anza Borrego posted:

US Airways management has made them tough to clear at booking. I think a lot of them do eventually clear, but you have to play the wait-and-see game.

Midjack posted:

Years seems overly pessimistic to me. Fuel prices may not stabilize until the war in Ukraine ends (and Putin seems happy to drag this out for a long time), but a lot of it is simply a boom in demand due to people feeling safe to travel due to COVID.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Small White Dragon posted:

Years seems overly pessimistic to me. Fuel prices may not stabilize until the war in Ukraine ends (and Putin seems happy to drag this out for a long time), but a lot of it is simply a boom in demand due to people feeling safe to travel due to COVID.

"Years" seemed overly pessimistic to me about a lot of things that have been going on for years now.

How quickly do you think they can re-staff everything globally after a completely incorrect prediction of nose diving demand? This applies to air travel and all associated things like ground services and airports in general as well as any number of other things that are completely hosed right now that have nothing to do with air travel or even travel at all.

I still can't reliably get parts for things like plumbing, electrical, appliances and cars. Or even basic building materials. None of this is solely a fuel cost issue.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Small White Dragon posted:

US Airways management has made them tough to clear at booking. I think a lot of them do eventually clear, but you have to play the wait-and-see game.

Where are y’all actually flying from to get SWUs to clear in the past 4 months? I have them to burn and every flight I’m on I check the upgrade list and it’s 1 or 0 cleared. I realize they may clear some a few days before but it’s pretty unlikely when I start checking the paid J availability

Also I’m 1/3 of going from J to F lol

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

I had a weight restricted flight out of LGA today. They apparently couldn’t gate check more than one or two bags.

I know there was a bunch of delays/cancellations to ORD yesterday so maybe the cargo is super full but this is the first time I’ve seen this happen.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

sellouts posted:

Where are y’all actually flying from to get SWUs to clear in the past 4 months? I have them to burn and every flight I’m on I check the upgrade list and it’s 1 or 0 cleared. I realize they may clear some a few days before but it’s pretty unlikely when I start checking the paid J availability

My 4 SWUs are gonna expire next month.And I even bought an expert flyer membership to look up segment by segment C space. Sad.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

taco show posted:

I had a weight restricted flight out of LGA today. They apparently couldn’t gate check more than one or two bags.

So they could carry the bags in the passenger compartment but not the cargo hold?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Mandalay posted:

My 4 SWUs are gonna expire next month.And I even bought an expert flyer membership to look up segment by segment C space. Sad.

Yep, C0 is always the answer, unless there’s a bug and it’s C7 and you call and there’s absolutely no availability.

the talent deficit
Dec 20, 2003

self-deprecation is a very british trait, and problems can arise when the british attempt to do so with a foreign culture

sellouts posted:

i've flown yyz - msp (and back) a bunch (4 or 5 roundtrips) the last 12 months and i've never seen another passenger in J. it's fake crj J though

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

the talent deficit posted:

i've flown yyz - msp (and back) a bunch (4 or 5 roundtrips) the last 12 months and i've never seen another passenger in J. it's fake crj J though

At least you get J; MKE has CR2 service and someone owes me an apology.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

sellouts posted:

Yep, C0 is always the answer, unless there’s a bug and it’s C7 and you call and there’s absolutely no availability.

Can I use a SWU expiring in July for a trip after July? I searched FT and got conflicting answers.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Not sure of current policy. Used to be yeah

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Mandalay posted:

Can I use a SWU expiring in July for a trip after July? I searched FT and got conflicting answers.

I believe only if it clears before expiration.

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

smackfu posted:

So they could carry the bags in the passenger compartment but not the cargo hold?

Yeah. They said if we couldn’t get everyone on the plane and all the luggage stowed in the overhead compartments, they’d have to leave PEOPLE behind. Which...??? Leave the bags?? Put them on the next flight and ship it?

We did have multiple people w electric wheelchairs (like three) and those things are heavy I guess?

E: Also, a lot of people had connections- the crew asked us to stay seated to let those folks off first, and people actually did it. Wild. Such a weird flight.

taco show fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Jun 28, 2022

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

What is going on? I’m clearing more upgrades way early as a plat pro now than I was as an EXP a couple months ago.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Man I can’t even buy enough J right now

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009
It really seems to vary wildly on the routes. DFW to SFO booking two weeks out I couldn't get MCE. DFW to RDU the day before the 4th had 8 open seats in first. Same thing for the couple other trips I've done. Going to and from Birmingham was empty. If there is a hint of tourism in where you are going then expect the wait list to be 30 slots deep. If it's a weird place to vacation, then nothing.

SlapActionJackson
Jul 27, 2006

Goddamn - Narita is a ghost town rn.

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

I STOLE A PIE FROM ESTELLE GETTY

SlapActionJackson posted:

I would much prefer a ghost town to some of the airport meltdowns happening in Europe. Heathrow was a clusterfuck as usual today.

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

I’m in Seattle and at a very, very good brewery (holy mountain) and now I need to figure out how to get their beers back to Chicago. It’s a two day work trip so I basically only came with a soft sided weekender bag. Should I just pony up and fedex it?

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

taco show posted:

I’m in Seattle and at a very, very good brewery (holy mountain) and now I need to figure out how to get their beers back to Chicago. It’s a two day work trip so I basically only came with a soft sided weekender bag. Should I just pony up and fedex it?

Is there a mega beer mart near you that you can query online? Check there first.

Aluminum cans are easy to pack in, but bottles are a bitch.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

SlapActionJackson posted:

Incheon was a ghost town when I flew out about a month ago. It was quite a contrast compared to LAX.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

taco show posted:

Grab a box, tape, some bubble wrap, and some gallon plastic bags and boom, you have a checked box. No need to Fedex.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Yep. Pack and check that poo poo. If you need wine bottle wrappers they’re like .50c (well I paid .50€ and now it’s 1:1 😚)

I have self- catered my birthday party from tayēr + elementary by doing the same thing. Shipping anything will cost you a fortune vs just a properly packed and checked bag/box.

keevo
Jun 16, 2011

:burger:WAKE UP:burger:
I've had two different airlines in Europe lose my checked bag twice. I've managed to get them back after a couple of days but another person I'm traveling with hasn't gotten his back after the first time (nearly two weeks ago).

Airtag everything

Vortex Street
Oct 23, 2010

I walked right out of the machinery
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/07/13/business/delta-luggage-heathrow.html

Delta flew a plane with no pax and 1000 pieces of delayed luggage from Heathrow to Detroit just to get things moving.

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.
Icelandair is flying a couple of baggage handlers with each flight to AMS in order to assist the ground crew in making things work. Wild, but a good solution given the mess that is major European airports at this point.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

A good solution but they could just trying paying more locals more money with better conditions?

Same goes for Heathrow. Just no excuse for it

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

sellouts posted:

A good solution but they could just trying paying more locals more money with better conditions?

Same goes for Heathrow. Just no excuse for it

Completely agree, but the issue is less with the airlines in these particular cases and more with the companies that the airports are contracting with to provide below (and in some cases above) the wing services. The Swissport, Menzies, et. al of the world who get big lucrative contracts and then squeeze profit from labor. That said, airlines do the same thing and are just as lovely in other situations.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Only ever stayed at the Windsor in New Orleans before. Heading in August to see Little Wayne. I'm typically an IHG guy so I've been eyeballing in no particular order:

Intercontinental

Kimpton Hotel Fontenot

VOCO - St. James Hotel

Crowne Plaza??

Any opinions regarding those properties or some general hotel guidance?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Lol get something refundable if it’s lil Wayne you’re counting on

Beef Of Ages posted:

Completely agree, but the issue is less with the airlines in these particular cases and more with the companies that the airports are contracting with to provide below (and in some cases above) the wing services. The Swissport, Menzies, et. al of the world who get big lucrative contracts and then squeeze profit from labor. That said, airlines do the same thing and are just as lovely in other situations.

I get it but if they’re flying employees which is above and beyond whatever job description they have they should just hire someone locally as a seasonal worker. I’m sure there are experienced people who would take better wage / conditions but maybe training and security is a bigger bear than the hopefully short term problem this hopefully is.

sellouts fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jul 14, 2022

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

sellouts posted:

I get it but if they’re flying employees which is above and beyond whatever job description they have they should just hire someone locally as a seasonal worker. I’m sure there are experienced people who would take better wage / conditions but maybe training and security is a bigger bear than the hopefully short term problem this hopefully is.

The facilities contracts with the airports usually prohibit that sort of thing so the servicer can exact a monopoly (or duopoly at best) as part of gate access and/or landing slot procurement when an airline doesn't have a hub or focus city presence at the airport. That's part of the draw of those below the wing servicers for airlines: they contract out the whole mess to someone else and pay a (presumably) static, forecastable fee for the services. That, in turn, incents the service provider to squeeze labor as much as possible to maximize profit. Even if it was as simple as "hire your own employees" I doubt most of the airlines would do it because the costs are higher and/or variable and bean counters don't like that.

Overall, your sentiment is exactly correct though: the relationship between companies that sell services and the labor that provides them has to fundamentally change from maximum profit at all costs to something that is more equitable. Airlines, airports, and attendant servicers are going to have pay people more and unfuck their business model if the industry is going to survive long term, a concept that applies to most businesses outside of aviation as well. Given that we're in deep into late stage capitalism mode, I don't see it happening.

Also climate change is going to goat gently caress us so none of this will matter in the long run. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Waroduce posted:

Only ever stayed at the Windsor in New Orleans before. Heading in August to see Little Wayne. I'm typically an IHG guy so I've been eyeballing in no particular order:

Intercontinental

Kimpton Hotel Fontenot

VOCO - St. James Hotel

Crowne Plaza??

Any opinions regarding those properties or some general hotel guidance?

The Intercon is pretty nice and a couple blocks away from the French Quarter. I liked it.

The Klimpton was a Staybridge for years and was renovated recently. It was OK as a Staybridge but I haven't stayed there since it changed. I liked the location (I'm a sucker for Lucy's down the street, what can I say).

I remember the St James being nice but I only visited a friend there, I never stayed the night.

The Crowne Plaza is good enough but is right at the corner of Bourbon and Canal so you will hear everything all night. If you plan to be part of the noise then no problem but if you want to get to sleep before 5am stay somewhere else.

Of your choices I'd do the intercon or the Klimpton, whichever gave me a better deal.