Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Hey uh Urbek has a very good soundtrack. Game seems pretty chill so far.

Edit: Kinda neat, instead of managing income and dollary-doos like most city builders you're producing/consuming various resources based on your expansion and it's more about managing those numbers instead of cash flow.

Orbital Potato just put up a new video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhnWIGDVmZk

explosivo fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jul 13, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

I’m going to give Astroneer another shot with trains. I love the aesthetics and a lot of it’s “style” but it had just a few hangups for me playing (gosh, maybe years ago) now around not having much interesting to do beyond exploring. Which is fun, but I need, as someone here described it, a sort of “creative phase” to a game where I can kind of make it my own and Astroneer for awhile felt pretty sparse on that beyond what arrangement I wanted my few machines in.

But trains. I love trains.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If you're coming back to astroneer after a few years, one warning I'd give you is that at some point the game gives you a xenobiology lab, and once you unpack it it can't be moved.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
for $15, urbek is worth a spin for me, i'm enjoying it so far, i do like how it's less about turning everything into money and then using money to do everything, you build up and spend resources and increase the max, and more advanced structures require tradeoffs and whatnot

seems like you'll be shifting things around and doing a lot of territory crunching to figure out how to boost things and continue growth and fitting everything together, i dig it so far

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
The only criticism I have on Urbek so far is that the tiny (sometimes microscopic) patches of desert and snow just make your city look uglier, particularly when there's no mountains to 'justify' the snow. Elevation change in terrain would have been nice to get the Full Chile Experience™, but I understand it'd be a real bitch to build around (much like in real life :v:). You're better off deactivating the snow and/or desert on the map generator screen and having different cities set on snowy and desert biomes.

Also some of the english names for a few buildings are kind of awkward but that's understandable for a ESL dev.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
Are the other Urbek maps larger than in the demo? Because that map was kind of ridiculously tiny.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
It'd be cool if there were advanced ways to change desert/snow/mountain tiles

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Btw you can Alt+Left Click to replace one building with another when building, so you don't need to bulldoze and then build the new building if you want to replace something. They cover this in the tutorial but it's easy to miss. I'm watching Orbital Potato not do this in his video (also getting mad at the game for not understanding what 2x2 means) and I'm sure other people missed it too. This only seems to work when replacing buildings though and not when trying to build over a forest tile or something which is kind of annoying. never mind this works for that too!

explosivo fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Jul 13, 2022

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Anime Store Adventure posted:

I’m going to give Astroneer another shot with trains. I love the aesthetics and a lot of it’s “style” but it had just a few hangups for me playing (gosh, maybe years ago) now around not having much interesting to do beyond exploring. Which is fun, but I need, as someone here described it, a sort of “creative phase” to a game where I can kind of make it my own and Astroneer for awhile felt pretty sparse on that beyond what arrangement I wanted my few machines in.

But trains. I love trains.

Be sure to do the missions, otherwise you’ll miss a bunch of stuff including the trains. They are fairly easy and make sense.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

The way that buildings "evolve" in Urbek is very neat; it's sorta puzzley if you're trying to find out how to get from one building to another for the tutorial but it's neat having one "house" residential building that upgrades through a branching path of house types automatically depending on where you put it. Like the way fishing houses pop up automatically if you build on a tile next to water or the houses within a few tiles of the iron mine turning into poor apartment complexes for the miners, it's just really neat to see. There's a local bar that grows as the density around it increases as well so I guess it's not just limited to residential options.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Ah excellent - because I already own Theotown there's a bundle to get Urbek down to a tenner. For that money I might grab it.

Anyone tried the Kairosofts? Dream House DX is on sale and I don't know how bad the port is.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I hosed up my whole city 2/3rds into the Urbek's tutorial, and it was my fault and not the tutorial's.

Game's good.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My question is if Urbek is a single play-through game or one where you'll come back to it repeatedly.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

xzzy posted:

My question is if Urbek is a single play-through game or one where you'll come back to it repeatedly.

I'm only two hours into the game but I'm already seeing that there are 3 distinct mutually exclusive progression paths that you can pick between.
Then there are 5 different maps, which probably have unique challenges.
Then there's a bunch of difficulty settings, if that's your jam.

Plus, you also have to not gently caress up your planning during your first run and doom your whole city into looking like Detroit, like I did.

Blowjob Overtime
Apr 6, 2008

Steeeeriiiiiiiiike twooooooo!

Jack Trades posted:

I'm only two hours into the game but I'm already seeing that there are 3 distinct mutually exclusive progression paths that you can pick between.
Then there are 5 different maps, which probably have unique challenges.
Then there's a bunch of difficulty settings, if that's your jam.

Plus, you also have to not gently caress up your planning during your first run and doom your whole city into looking like Detroit, like I did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F48MyBnJo4s

Based solely on discussion and screenshots in this thread I have purchased Urbek, a game I did not know existed before yesterday.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Urbek seems neat but I'm slightly bothered by the fact that one of the tracks seems to be a library track that I've heard in like every third episode of Jimquistion.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Urbek reminded me too much of Kingdoms and Castles, not to mention the fact I've barely started Captain of Industry and have a lot to do in Astroneer. Y'all have fun with it :)

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Clanfolk is out for $17.99!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1700870/Clanfolk/

Rimworld style game except instead of combat you fight against the elements, as well as instead of a tech tree you unlock stuff by discovery. Little breakdown of the differences

quote:

Family
The main difference is the tight focus on Clan family. I am trying to create a life simulator to draw the player into the day to day lives of these little people, whereas RImworld is a story generator for a colony.

The people in Clanfolk are born, live a long life under your care, and eventually die. You get to know these people over many hours as you raise them and tailor their lives. They also go through distinct phases of life baby, juvenile, adult, and senior.

The Clanfolk also have a much wider array of needs, more akin to the Sims. I want players to enjoy watching the Clanfolk live their daily lives in the community that you have planned for them. They actually have a proper hierarchy of needs where as they fulfill needs like food, and shelter, then they start to care about social interactions and having fun.

Focus on Day to Day Life
So Clanfolk is about planning vs nature, not random events or raids. Rimworld has a lot of focus on combat and making the perfect killbox. That is a lot of fun, but Clanfolk isn't about that. It is about preparation for winter using historically accurate means.

Each day, there will be a routine that you need to improve upon. The eels need to be collected from the traps, wood chopped for the fires, fields watered or fertilized, animal stalls scooped out, meals cooked. There are all these things you need to do to just live. Then you worry about expansion and preparation for winter.

World Sim
The main antagonist in Clanfolk is nature, not raiders. So you need to worry about things like wind chill, and being wet. People and animals have body heat that can be shared in small spaces. Everything has a flammability value that is effected by local moisture (so grass fires in summer, but not spring or fall) The more real that I can make the world, the more real the Clanfolk will feel and hopefully the more that you care about them.

Atmosphere
So, I want you to want to be there. I want players to just sip a coffee and watch the fish jump in the lakes, or listen when flocks or crows head home for the night. Watching the wind slowly weave through the grass is just nice, for me anyhow. I escape into the game.
So depending on what you are looking at, soundscapes form based on what is in the area and the time of day. If you are looking at a forest in the morning, the songbirds will be going nuts. A late at night, then the frogs start singing. Everything is meant to draw you in. There is also time to enjoy it. There is lots of time to think.

Setting
This one is probably obvious, but the setting is entirely different. This is a historically accurate life sim in the highlands of Scotland vs. Stranded survivors on an alien world. Rimworld's theme is very compelling and you can't go wrong with Firefly/Cowboys, but I am after Highlander and Braveheart (the peaceful bits in those movies anyhow)

Conclusion
I am hoping that people get something totally different out of Clanfolk. I want them to have memories of a home they built for a struggling little Clan that they cared for in a setting they enjoy.

Also, might be a loose fit here, but Dinkum is also out! (Animal Crossing like game mixed with Stardew Valley by the looks of it)

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1062520/Dinkum/

Harminoff fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Jul 14, 2022

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Will be interested to hear what people think of Clanfolk. Rimworld-but-Sims is what I was thinking about last time I played RimWorld.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

So it turns out that in Astroneer, the rails carry power. This has a significant impact on the game. I'll let you Astoneer players work through this. Gonna start slow myself.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Urbek is dangerous for me, today was the second day I basically forget everything including eating while trying to puzzle everything together.

My first winning city!

You really have to make sure you get a proper, dense city core, otherwise the end game will be impossible. Definitely put farming and industry towards the edges to avoid the slums limiting density in the city core.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

the "need x in range but not too much y" mechanic is interesting. It's the same NIMBY concept that all city builders have used since the original, but they hard coded it in a way where you actually gotta plan it out beforehand. Other games are much more passive.

It's a cool puzzle mechanic how they did it in this game.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
I open palm slammed Against The Storm after seeing Potato M whisky's vid on it. I have an addiction to accessing incomplete games.

Seems nice so far idk

Dayton Sports Bar
Oct 31, 2019
I'm also finding Urbek really addicting so far, and might actually have trouble going back to the SimCity RCI zoning money-go-up style of city builder after this.

Buildings dynamically evolving based on adjacencies is a simple system that really should be in more games. It makes city growth feel organic, despite the game technically being pretty abstract. Like how you can tell where to invest in public transportation because in its absence buildings will naturally "upgrade" into worthless parking lots. It's brilliant.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Another little thing I enjoy is how the late-stage commercial buildings provide food services and tools on their own, removing the need for the suburban market buildings inside the city core.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Is a "Square Condominium" just a really botched translation for that thing in Urbek or does it change into something later that makes more sense? The thing looks like a jungle gym/playground. I was confused as hell when it was talking about placing a "Sq. Condominium" in the tutorial because I assumed it was a housing upgrade and was trying to find out how to evolve a house into a square condominium but it's a separate leisure building. There were other iffy translations so I just assumed this was the case.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Mayveena posted:

Urbek reminded me too much of Kingdoms and Castles, not to mention the fact I've barely started Captain of Industry and have a lot to do in Astroneer. Y'all have fun with it :)

Speaking of COI I made a bit of a discovery. Playing Curland (the big, mostly flat, curled island map) and I started dumping around the edges of my starting iron deposit to create sea walls and hopefully avoid "stray sea tiles" when I eventually got into digging it out. Well turns out that metal deposits can extend into the ocean: Layer view just won't display them until the water on top has been displaced.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
For anyone still playing Surviving the Aftermath: what's the deal with Outhouses? Clearly I need to address hygiene needs, but since the outhouse becomes a pollution source, which gets tracked around by colonists, I'm puzzled where to put it. Right by a maintenance shed so the janitors constantly keep it clean and stop pollution spirals? Or right by pollution sites since it's already hosed?

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

toasterwarrior posted:

Or right by pollution sites since it's already hosed?

This Is Not A Place Of Handwashing

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!

toasterwarrior posted:

For anyone still playing Surviving the Aftermath: what's the deal with Outhouses? Clearly I need to address hygiene needs, but since the outhouse becomes a pollution source, which gets tracked around by colonists, I'm puzzled where to put it. Right by a maintenance shed so the janitors constantly keep it clean and stop pollution spirals? Or right by pollution sites since it's already hosed?

By the mainenance shed, a bit outside of the main paths is better, i think. You don't want it completely out of the way to waste people's time, but you don't want everybody wading through the poop several times a day either

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

explosivo posted:

Is a "Square Condominium" just a really botched translation for that thing in Urbek or does it change into something later that makes more sense? The thing looks like a jungle gym/playground. I was confused as hell when it was talking about placing a "Sq. Condominium" in the tutorial because I assumed it was a housing upgrade and was trying to find out how to evolve a house into a square condominium but it's a separate leisure building. There were other iffy translations so I just assumed this was the case.

Yeah, it's a TL issue. "square" is there in the "plaza, public area" sense rather than a shape, and "condominium" in the "flats" sense rather than in the "flats for people who can afford to own but prefer being urbanites"; "apartment commons" would hit closer.

Very fun game, and I hope the reactive rebuilding takes off across the genre. Tutorial's a little underbaked, both in terms of prompting you to do things you can't do yet and in prompting you to do things you don't actually want to do yet (lots of the later buildings are instant economy killers without some extracurriculars in); also, both in tutorial terms and in straight tile types which is a bigger longterm issue for balance, it also runs into issues where it's trying to let you be freeform but you can just straight lock yourself out of steps without warning apparently? Thinking the orchards where if you go down the list, put up a city hall, and go "actually modern agriculture sounds good", your orchard design is at best going to have to incorporate CO2 scrubbers which somehow deal with the nitrogen runoff. On the plus side, the "have it or you don't" nature of pretty much everything but iron means that it's no huge loss to just bulldoze whatever bad choice you were asked to make. Numbers also seem a little wonky for some of the goals, think "three fully-outfitted universities for a couple square kilometers for something we've asked you to build full low-ed industrial thus far".

Lolling, lmaoing, etc, though at the game obviously made by enthusiastic anarchists making placing their bookshops and bars the work of the unquestionable zoning god, accumulating self-governance points toward plopping new buildings as the will of the (by aesthetic) comprador state. There's an absolutely fascinating swing a game like this could have by applying the rebuild logic to alter the opinions of the populace instead of just "cool things if you gather enough red/black mana". One which would probably even meet whatever pedagogical goals they have given that you can't import food.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Burning Rain posted:

By the mainenance shed, a bit outside of the main paths is better, i think. You don't want it completely out of the way to waste people's time, but you don't want everybody wading through the poop several times a day either

Cheers, this is working out pretty well!

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

The only thing Urbek badly needs, IMO, is a warning ever 6th month to change a law. I always forget and then have to sit there and wait to be able to apply several laws.

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006
That's a nice fucking fish

Harminoff posted:

Clanfolk is out for $17.99!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1700870/Clanfolk/

Rimworld style game except instead of combat you fight against the elements, as well as instead of a tech tree you unlock stuff by discovery. Little breakdown of the differences

Looks very cool, I'm thinking of buying it but, you know, early access. Reviews are pretty good though

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Another Surviving the Aftermath question, if it's not a bother: does it matter what Specialist I convert into a Settler? Will they only be able to build the outpost type of their namesake, if that's a thing? Or am I free to get rid of unoptimal Specialists through outpost settlements?

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.

toasterwarrior posted:

Another Surviving the Aftermath question, if it's not a bother: does it matter what Specialist I convert into a Settler? Will they only be able to build the outpost type of their namesake, if that's a thing? Or am I free to get rid of unoptimal Specialists through outpost settlements?
If it hasn't changed over the last few months: No, it doesn't matter. Settler is Settler.

[Edit]
I remember having the same doubts, because some Specialists had backstories painting them as lone wolfs or sociopaths. The game just doesn't give a gently caress.

Wipfmetz fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Jul 15, 2022

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Cool, thank you very much!

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Mandoric posted:

. Tutorial's a little underbaked, both in terms of prompting you to do things you can't do yet and in prompting you to do things you don't actually want to do yet (lots of the later buildings are instant economy killers without some extracurriculars in);

Yeah I got screwed by this last night right around the phase where steelworks were needed because my labor force was just sucked up dry by it. Everything basically became abandoned ruins overnight and I was completely hosed. Probably starting over with the tutorial disabled next time since I think I get the gist of it.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Yeah the Urbek tutorial tells you to try to build all the weird dead end housing evolutions, like Religious Neighborhood, slums, mansions. They can be useful for specific purposes, but probably not something you definitely want around in large numbers if the goal is just to complete the tech tree on a default map. Skip them until you need them, or if you want the specific aesthetic.

On the other hand, fishing is extremely good and filling all your shore with fishing communities is huge for food production.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

toasterwarrior posted:

turning specialists into settlers is the ultimate fate of your less good specialists. 6AP? off you go to settle. 8 damage? goodbye