Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also it appears the Cyber Space levels will more or less entirely be remakes of old stages (I believe there will even be a few 2D areas as well), which I guess could be ok if they toss in a few ones they haven’t used as much prior to this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Larryb posted:

Also it appears the Cyber Space levels will more or less entirely be remakes of old stages (I believe there will even be a few 2D areas as well), which I guess could be ok if they toss in a few ones they haven’t used as much prior to this

What I'm hearing is they're really leaning on the Odyssey copying approach.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Discendo Vox posted:

What I'm hearing is they're really leaning on the Odyssey copying approach.

I must have played a different Mario Odyssey.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

If it doesn't have hunnid-p I'm cancelling my preorder

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I’m still hoping for a new Crush 40 song myself

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Speaking of [half of] Crush 40:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpmp0aMEXLw

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Oh yeah, I’ve heard of that project but I kind of doubt it’s ultimately going to go anywhere (it’s cool they got Johnny to do a cover of the SatAM theme song though)

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

I must have played a different Mario Odyssey.

Oddyssey did a lot of isolated, small challenge areas, including pseudo-retro 2D ones. This would also roughly fit the development cycle.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQ0lI_sP7vI
Wouldn't have expected it to adapt so well to this style.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
loving hell, big kudos to anyone who managed to get super sonic on the original Sonic 2 on the megadrive.

Even with the ability to quickly retry it in Origins, it was incredibly frustrating.

Having a limited number of attempts to get into the special stages feels brutal, never mind clearing the first ones enough to then get enough practice on the later levels.

In sonic 3 I think the special stages rotated even if you screwed up right?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Speaking of Origins, in Sonic 3 Tails now has two forms. Collecting all the chaos emeralds will give you the Super Tails from Mania and the mobile/Origins versions of Sonic 1 & 2 (he glows and is slightly faster) while getting all the super emeralds will give you Hyper Tails (a renamed version of the Super Tails from S3K)

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Kin posted:

loving hell, big kudos to anyone who managed to get super sonic on the original Sonic 2 on the megadrive.

Even with the ability to quickly retry it in Origins, it was incredibly frustrating.

Having a limited number of attempts to get into the special stages feels brutal, never mind clearing the first ones enough to then get enough practice on the later levels.

They did. I wouldn't be surprised if the intention with 3 was for a first time player to naturally find about one per zone, seeing how they're all colour coded to match one of the zones.

KingKalamari
Aug 24, 2007

Fuzzy dice, bongos in the back
My ship of love is ready to attack

Kin posted:

The pro-strat from back in the day was if you reset the game it would maintain the number of emeralds you collected, so you could just keep using the first goal post in Emerald Hills until you got all the emeralds

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
another nice thing about metal sonic rebooted was that its special stages weren't full of blind turns and surprise bombs so while they are still hard you can at least reasonably sight-read them

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

KingKalamari posted:

The pro-strat from back in the day was if you reset the game it would maintain the number of emeralds you collected, so you could just keep using the first goal post in Emerald Hills until you got all the emeralds

Is this a glitch or was it intentional? Like, if you beat the game without all the emeralds and start again do you keep them? Or do you get stuck on the the end screen? Been a while since I’ve beat it.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

KingKalamari posted:

Unless you're on the Genesis 3 which clears RAM on reset so you can't beat that one X-Men game

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

Larryb posted:

Oh yeah, I’ve heard of that project but I kind of doubt it’s ultimately going to go anywhere (it’s cool they got Johnny to do a cover of the SatAM theme song though)

What is the project?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

VostokProgram posted:

What is the project?

A group of fans have been working on a third season for the ABC Sonic cartoon commonly known as “SatAM” (the one Sally and the Freedom Fighters from the Archie comic originally came from) for a little while now and are apparently trying to get it picked up by some official source

https://youtube.com/c/TeamSea3on/videos

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

An official source? lol, good luck with that

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

An official source? lol, good luck with that

Yeah, hence why I said this probably isn’t going to go too far (I admire their effort at least)

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Seems Origins will be getting a patch or two in the near future:

https://twitter.com/KatieChrz/status/1547680495797800963

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
hell yeah

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I got a sixer for posting penders in the pyf comics thread and it was well deserved

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

flavor.flv posted:

I got a sixer for posting penders in the pyf comics thread and it was well deserved

So long as you understand the full extent of what you did, I am willing to forgive you.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Is it likely that there's some crazy legal thing preventing from replacing the Michael Jackson tracks in sonic 3 with something that even sounds a little like them?

Carnival night zone, for example, seemed to be some remixed stereotypical carnival music,
but the new stuff is just this weird upbeat poo poo.

That being said I kinda prefer the new tracks for launch pad zone or whatever it's called. The original, while nostalgic, really didn't feel like it had anything to do with the buildup to a rocket launching.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

S3K probably had the worst Super/Invincibility theme in the series so I’m glad that’s gone in Origins as well

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Kin posted:

Is it likely that there's some crazy legal thing preventing from replacing the Michael Jackson tracks in sonic 3 with something that even sounds a little like them?

Carnival night zone, for example, seemed to be some remixed stereotypical carnival music,
but the new stuff is just this weird upbeat poo poo.

Nah they reverted to prototype music that was in use before the Jackson tracks were composed.

Hrist
Feb 21, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I really wish Origins would have just used some of the ideas form S3 Complete instead. The added Super Sonic sprites look so bad compared to what complete has. Especially the water slide one where his head is suddenly way smaller and looks ridiculous. And they could have at least gave an option for changing to the intended the level order. There's so much they just didn't do.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I don't know if I like the "intended level order" thing - as novel as it is, it makes it harder to get the super emeralds because you have one less stage.

That said, as a toggle it'd be fun, like you I'm sad Origins didn't of follow S3C/S3AIR in offering a whole bunch of customization to enable or disable improvements, change layouts and whatnot. I wonder how much of that was time pressure, Sega oversight, or just intentional choices.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

What was Sonic 3’s “intended level order” again?

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Flying battery between Carnival and Ice Cap I think is the one change?

You shoot out of the canon onto the Battery, and then kick out the door and use it as the snowboard at the start of Ice Cap.

This means you have three stages to get the super emeralds in S&K - Mushroom Hill, Sandopolis and Lava Reef.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Larryb posted:

Seems Origins will be getting a patch or two in the near future:

Sega hasn’t learned from Colours Ultimate being a buggy mess at launch. I haven’t even played much of Origins yet because I heard things like Chaos Emeralds being wiped from peoples’ save files.

I’m glad it is getting patched, but I still want to know what’s been fixed. It sounds like Stealth was willing to do as much as he could to fix it but wasn’t being given the chance to do so. Maybe that’s changed now.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Ah yeah, I remember hearing that now (though it does make me wonder what the transition from Mushroom Hill to Sandopolis would have been)

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Larryb posted:

Ah yeah, I remember hearing that now (though it does make me wonder what the transition from Mushroom Hill to Sandopolis would have been)

I'm betting you'd just fly off on one of these

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Jul 16, 2022

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Larryb posted:

S3K probably had the worst Super/Invincibility theme in the series so I’m glad that’s gone in Origins as well

The replacement one in Origins is so much worse, though.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Wait they replaced 3&Ks soundtrack? Aka one of the best soundtracks of all time? That soundtrack? If that’s the case I can 100% say origins is not worth a penny.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Where the hell have you been for the last 25 years? They lost the music rights to the Michael Jackson tracks almost immediately and they haven't been on any of the releases since the 90s

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

The original tracks have been used in re-releases, the 360 version of Sonic 3 had them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

galagazombie posted:

Wait they replaced 3&Ks soundtrack? Aka one of the best soundtracks of all time? That soundtrack? If that’s the case I can 100% say origins is not worth a penny.

Correct. The new soundtrack is nowhere near as good, plus the game as a whole is riddled with issues despite getting some of the Mania folks to help out with it. Sega really hosed it on this one.