Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Reckoners is a YA friendly version of The Boys/Invincible/Umbrella Academy which are hot properties recently and will have a lot of production overlap to minimize costs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.
Skyward is my vote. I hope that one gets adapted. I think we need another decade of tech improvements and before a Stormlight book won't look like crap.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

MartingaleJack posted:

Skyward is my vote. I hope that one gets adapted. I think we need another decade of tech improvements and before a Stormlight book won't look like crap.

After Critical Role, I could see an animated version of Stormlight.

Or they could use it as a test bed, and the first seasons effects will not be so good but they'll just keep getting better.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

seaborgium posted:

After Critical Role, I could see an animated version of Stormlight.

I think I'd prefer something closer to Arcane's style.
That would be perfect for Mistborn too

zerofiend
Dec 23, 2006

101 posted:

I think I'd prefer something closer to Arcane's style.
That would be perfect for Mistborn too

Arcane would be ideal, but it had an insane budget so that might be too much.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Sanderson has said he feels anime doesn't have the 'mass market appeal' that he wants, so unless his opinion has changed it's pretty much Live Action or nothing.

Can't be bothered to dig through his many many videos to find when/where he said it, but it was probably within the last 2 years.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

zerofiend posted:

Arcane would be ideal, but it had an insane budget so that might be too much.

Maybe I'm overestimating how much Hollywood would value it, but he's the biggest and most prolific fantasy author of the last decade, right?

Sab669 posted:

Sanderson has said he feels anime doesn't have the 'mass market appeal' that he wants, so unless his opinion has changed it's pretty much Live Action or nothing.

Can't be bothered to dig through his many many videos to find when/where he said it, but it was probably within the last 2 years.

Rings a bell, but it doesn't stop me from wanting it and thinking animation should be used over live action for stuff like Stormlight.
No way you can make Stormlight look as good as it deserves to live action with a TV budget.

Also was that before Arcane because I think that disproved him on 'mass market appeal'

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea I feel like that gangbuster of a Kickstarter this year probably grabbed the attention of a few different studio heads :v:

I'm sure the aficionados will tell me I'm wrong but in my book while Arcane is obviously animated, I wouldn't call it "anime".

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
I feel like anime and manga are increasingly popular in the West. Crunchyroll is a solidly popular second tier streaming service, you see substantial manga sections in mainstream book stores. While anime won't have as much mainstream appeal as something like Game of Thrones, it would take an insane budget to do a GoT-style adaptation for Stormlight, given how much more magical stuff is going on.

As far as western animation goes, I think ATLA's enduring popularity shows there's demand for epic fantasy adventure, and of course there's more recent, more mature animated shows like Invincible, the Witcher prequel, and Vox Machina.

Sab669 posted:

I'm sure the aficionados will tell me I'm wrong but in my book while Arcane is obviously animated, I wouldn't call it "anime".
When people say "anime" I don't think they usually mean it has to literally be produced by a Japanese studio or adhere to anime conventions. (Though imo anime still tends to be way better than western animation at selling dramatic, badass fight scenes)

Cicero fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Jul 18, 2022

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Yea I think it's dumb to go by the rule of "it's not Anime unless it's from Japan". IMO it's a style more than anything.

I just don't "get" people who throw it around in a really abstract way. eg "Sanderson is extremely anime"... Like that's just incompatible in my head. One is a page with words on it, one is a style of drawing. What are the similarities between Mistborn and, say, Initial D? I'm being slightly obtuse, I get that they mean tropes from like Naruto of powering up for an entire day or whatever, but that's why it's stupid to use the term that way.

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jul 18, 2022

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom Vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Calidus posted:

Skyward is much better than reckoners, and probably adapts well to TV.

Counterpoint: Hollywood execs are brainless followers and will choose the "what if superheroes but evil" property to cash in on The Boys and Invincible (and MCU to a lesser extent Umbrella Academy)

Sab669 posted:

Yea I think it's dumb to go by the rule of "it's not Anime unless it's from Japan". IMO it's a style more than anything.

I just don't "get" people who throw it around in a really abstract way. eg "Sanderson is extremely anime"... Like that's just incompatible in my head. One is a page with words on it, one is a style of drawing. What are the similarities between Mistborn and, say, Initial D? I'm being slightly obtuse, I get that they mean tropes from like Naruto of powering up for an entire day or whatever, but that's why it's stupid to use the term that way.

I think they mean anime in a "dramatic, cartoonish descriptions of combat with descriptions of how cool or desperate or clever or skillful the combatants' movements are", where the battle also serves as a metaphor for the combatants' interactions and relative world views.

To contrast, Wheel of Time combat had that to an extent (sword forms' names in particular) but battles are usually confused, chaotic messes where fog of war obscures everything except a small bubble near you, and that's filled with death so close you don't have time to think, just try to survive

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
Sanderson not needing the money and not having a “The Dresden Files” tv show on his record is really interesting. I am kinda curious if he can make outrageous budget demands.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Sab669 posted:

stormlight is a shonen anime, more or less

Sloop
Jun 1, 2003

I just re-read the Mistborn series, and the bit where Vin jumps a mile and decapitates a dude as she lands couldn’t possibly be more anime.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Anime is gaining more popularity in places like NA and Europe but it still does not have near the western appeal as something live action. Hell, poo poo like Rick and Morty is more popular in the US than anime.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Sab669 posted:

I'm confused. Weren't you the first person to use the word anime in this discussion?

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

101 posted:

I'm confused. Weren't you the first person to use the word anime in this discussion?

Yes, but more or less the same conversation of whether or not Sanderson's adaptations should be live action or not has taken place like at least 3 times ITT :v:

seaborgium suggested an "animated Stormlight", but referenced Vox Machina which I would definitely describe as anime. (edit: well, not suggested but said they could see it happening)

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Sab669 posted:

seaborgium suggested an "animated Stormlight", but referenced Vox Machina which I would definitely describe as anime. (edit: well, not suggested but said they could see it happening)

I referenced them just to show that an animated show could work, even on a property that probably isn't as big as Sanderson's and now Amazon or another production company can see that with actual numbers to back it up. Stormlight might work better animated, it might not but I only meant I could see it as a possibility that I'm sure has been brought up to Brandon at some point.

DarkHorse posted:

Counterpoint: Hollywood execs are brainless followers and will choose the "what if superheroes but evil" property to cash in on The Boys and Invincible (and MCU to a lesser extent Umbrella Academy)

To contrast, Wheel of Time combat had that to an extent (sword forms' names in particular) but battles are usually confused, chaotic messes where fog of war obscures everything except a small bubble near you, and that's filled with death so close you don't have time to think, just try to survive

Wheel of Time was written by a Vietnam Vet though, so it being a more realistic battle makes sense.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Eh, nm

Jaxyon fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Jul 18, 2022

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug

101 posted:

Maybe I'm overestimating how much Hollywood would value it, but he's the biggest and most prolific fantasy author of the last decade, right?

Rings a bell, but it doesn't stop me from wanting it and thinking animation should be used over live action for stuff like Stormlight.
No way you can make Stormlight look as good as it deserves to live action with a TV budget.

Also was that before Arcane because I think that disproved him on 'mass market appeal'

I 100% agree. Any adaptation of either Mistborn or Stormblood is not going to get anywhere near the budget required to not look terrible. They could maybe do Wax and Wayne stuff ok.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I think the biggest problem with doing live action of most of Sanderson is that his world's are colorful, for the most part, and bright, and the cgi effects would need to be in virtually every scene. Mistborn might be doable if they use the ash fall or mists in the majority of outdoor scenes to occlude what would look bad or be prohibitively expensive.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Mistborn should be a TV adaptation ala Game of Thrones or Wheel of Time.

Wax & Wayne should be a film series.

Mistborn Secret History should be an anime.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

Mordiceius posted:

Mistborn should be a TV adaptation ala Game of Thrones or Wheel of Time.

Yup it'd work best as a miniseries, in my opinion. Only problem I foresee is that people seem to be burnt out with GoT/WoT/LoTR type shows and throwing another to the pile may mean it gets looked over.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Wheel of Time is just too big to turn into an 8 episode season. Even with all that they cut out of Eye Of The World, that simply just isn't enough time to make non-readers give a gently caress about any of the main characters while also moving the plot forward.

No idea what to think about the new LOTR show. I'll give it a watch when it comes out though.

The Witcher I definitely just didn't care by the time Season 2 came out. The gap year between seasons didn't do it any favors, but I think even if S2 came out in 2020 I probably still wouldn't have finished it. I just don't find Geralt an interesting character, and the way they S1 skips around made it hard to follow IMO even as someone who at least is familiar with the plot beats from the video games.

I can't think of any other big-budget fantasy series, so I don't think the genre specifically is too saturated, but I think peoples time for entertainment in general might be. Like I'm just not looking to make the time for hour long episodes in my life. But either way, Amazon has said the reception to WOT was huge/beyond their expectations, and that's a series where the last book came out in 2013, whereas anything Sanderson is obviously still actively being published so he's much more in people's minds.

Mistborn is much tighter in scope than WOT and could be adapted much more easily. And even Stormlight, as huge as it is / will be, Sanderson said he's actively aware of the "too many characters" problem WOT had. Plus being 2 pentalogies would also probably do it favors to being adapted to the screen, unlike WOT where it probably would've been even more than 14 books if Jordan didn't kick the bucket.

Sab669 fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Jul 19, 2022

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Mordiceius posted:

Rick and Morty is ... anime.

I kid. I see what the mean and agree....with reservations.

Screen adaptations are going to be challenging as hell for live action, daaaaang.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

This was the thing I was thinking all the way through reading Mistborn: the plot and characters and fight scenes would be loving fantastic for a TV adaptation, but the setting, with constant ash everywhere, and the pervasive black/grey/red pallette would be depressing as hell, but they wouldn't be able to tone that down without losing a fundamental aspect of what the entire story was about.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I was thinking that the foreshadowing about Vin's earring's significance would be hard to do without it being crazy obvious on screen/as a visual medium.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Stupid
Bread Liar

Sab669 posted:

I was thinking that the foreshadowing about Vin's earring's significance would be hard to do without it being crazy obvious on screen/as a visual medium.

Seems pretty easy to do in that you could have it included early on as a sentimental discussion with Kelsier or something, mentioned quickly but not so labored that it rouses suspicion. Sanderson is very, very good at laying out hints so that, in theory, you could figure everything out on your own, or at the least so you don't feel cheated by some convenient deus ex machina plotpoint. I could see this all translated super well to screen without giving away future reveals.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Yeah, so long as they avoid panning from a hemalurgic spike to her ear, sticking to that twist the way Sanderson did would work. It worked not because Sanderson put those two ideas REAAAAAAALLLLYY far apart (hell he even talks about the bloody scene with Vin's mom over and over just after getting into hemalurgy), it's that the reader/viewer never thought of an earring as basically a metal spike or a medical device.

Brutor Fartknocker
Jun 18, 2013

I think mistborn could do alright as a show, to contrast the dreary there's all the balls and stuff. My bet would be on the reckoners first though, it's the weakest series, so a good first pass to learn from mistakes, and being ya there's just less going on, so easier for audiences to consume.

As someone who can't get enough of hour long fantasy shows, shadow and bone is fun. I haven't read it, but it's a good ride.

Edit: Oathbringer foreshadowing: I love that Sadeas jokes about a rock slide not being able to kill Dalinar at the start of Oathbringer.

Brutor Fartknocker fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jul 19, 2022

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

If it's Mistborn on some kind of contract, I expect the genders of the crew to swap in several places. Sanderson himself has more or less said he would do that if he could go back. So who's it gonna be? I vote Breeze.

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!

MartingaleJack posted:

If it's Mistborn on some kind of contract, I expect the genders of the crew to swap in several places. Sanderson himself has more or less said he would do that if he could go back. So who's it gonna be? I vote Breeze.

Breeze would be last crew member I would change. Change all rest imo. Ham is easy choice, having a women be your muscle just highlights the magic system. Clubs and Dickson would work too. Spook’s internal book 3 issues probably hit different if he is girl.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

MartingaleJack posted:

If it's Mistborn on some kind of contract, I expect the genders of the crew to swap in several places. Sanderson himself has more or less said he would do that if he could go back. So who's it gonna be?

Calidus posted:

Ham is easy choice, having a women be your muscle just highlights the magic system.

It'd be Ham. Sanderson has repeatedly expressed his regrets that he was so focused on doing a Strong Female Character that he forgot about just having more female characters, and Ham is always the example he brings up.

I hope there would be MORE than just Ham though.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

Strong doesn't have to mean physically strong.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Ham is probably the most stable and sensible out of all of them too.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Go all the way with it, female Kelsier.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

socialsecurity posted:

Go all the way with it, female Kelsier.

:yeah:

I don't love the idea of Lady Ham solely because "what if big muscle man had boobs" feels like a tired and lazy attempt at pandering from Hollywood :shrug: but I'm a dude so what do I know; if the ladies want more of that then go for it

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Sab669 posted:

:yeah:

I don't love the idea of Lady Ham solely because "what if big muscle man had boobs" feels like a tired and lazy attempt at pandering from Hollywood :shrug: but I'm a dude so what do I know; if the ladies want more of that then go for it

Luisa from Encanto is big muscle man with boobs, and has proven to be incredibly popular. It's a thing, although like most such things the demographic that's most into it skews younger.

For a more recent and live-action example, go check out the reactions to swole Natalie Portman from Thor: Love and Thunder.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I'd say the 4 gender locked characters are Vin (obviously), Elend (I don't think Brandon is ready for a gay romance for the couple in one of his two main series), Kelsier (due to showing up in Stormlight as well as Mistborn) and Sazed (for the plot twist). Everybody else is fair game, including some of the villains. Why not make Elend's mother one of the big bads of book 2? Female Marsh? Female OroSeur? There are a lot of unnecessarily male characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Would Zane being a woman make people actually like them?