Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

If they want to fix the franchise they have to bring back puzzle robo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reiska
Oct 14, 2013

GimmickMan posted:

While I generally agree with the core idea of the post, I'd like to add that in games with individually upgraded weapons you could still skip boss phases or even straight up oneshot the final boss. It was harder to notice at a casual glance that you broke the game because the rest of the time you were doing regular unupgraded damage, but every time you popped a finisher it was the same as today. Arguably, the sudden jump made it more noticeable, imo.

Moreover, in recent games they've gotten really generous with the base damage of finishers. It used to be that a 5k power finisher (when upgraded) was my benchmark for a unit that I wouldn't feel terrible investing on. These days, 5k power is what you get for free from Extra Arms and it fails to pierce some boss barriers by the endgame. Your heavy hitters begin the game with 5k power finishers, sometimes!

You'd need them to scale back the power of finishers by 2-3k base value OR no longer make weapons upgradable, tone down abilities that give damage modifiers and tone down or delete parts that give damage boosts entirely. (But keep Extra Arms, Extra Arms is the single best designed part in the series.)

Hell, 30 went further than that even on the power creep, since 30's weakest version of Extra Arms sets you at 6500, and of course 30's Combattler has a, what, 7000 power finisher in the literal second stage of the game? I think even Gundam Mk-II has a 5000 or close to it, let alone Zeta's waverider charge being 6600 at base before AOS.

You're not wrong though, in something like Alpha Gaiden you upgrade your finishers only and the grunt waves become the real challenge of the game.

Kanos posted:

There's a spectrum here, though. Games like Alpha Gaiden and Impact are not tactical puzzle brain twisters that demand crazy optimization, but they have some modest teeth to them and actually demand you make some decisions. Enemy factions have some texture and variance in difficulty and abilities instead of being a gummy mass of completely interchangeable enemies that you mow through like faceless soldiers in a Dynasty Warriors game. There was at least somewhat of a modicum of demand for resource management instead of everyone having super cheap defense/accuracy spells and SP regen, and you could run yourself out of gas before a big boss went down much easier. You could still use your favorites in games like these and get through just fine - I use the Masoukishin every time I play Alpha Gaiden even though they're objectively terrible units - but it still feels like you're playing a video game instead of a cool anime cutscene construction simulator.

Oddly, SRW 30 has a good example of something I wish they'd do more - actual boss design. The Rayearth S1 finale pits you against Zagato, who at that juncture is an absolute tanky brick wall of a unit by the game's standards that wants you to actually spend some resources dealing with him, then surprise springs Emeraude on you - and she's kitted out as an insanely fragile and devastating berserker who does a gazillion damage and actually has the means to bypass the player's otherwise totally invincible defense spells by having triple move. It's not an enormously challenging gotcha that is going to automatically make the player die and lose an hour of time without foreknowledge, but it's an actual "whoa am I actually in danger here" moment that is memorable.

I think one way to have a good start for "let's make SRW more interesting gameplay wise without making it brutally hard" would be to start putting a lot more effort into boss design. Give bosses a way to partially mitigate or bypass the player's invincible defensive spells. Give bosses gimmicks you have to pay attention to, like "this boss can't be attacked at certain ranges" or "this boss has weaknesses to some attack types but is resistant to others" or "this boss can cast spells from the lists of allies who are too close to it". Give bosses damage gates or phases so you can't simply and trivially evaporate them from existence in one round with two or three characters. There's a lot of stuff you could play around with.

It's not by accident that Emeraude is the most memorable boss in 30 to me. These are, ultimately, all good points, and SRW bosses could definitely stand to be a lot more than giant sacks of HP you spam finishers at until they laboriously die after you chip through the last 10% of their potential 9 health bars.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I know it's not SRW, but I picked up Gundam Breaker 3 on the Singapore store today for dirt cheap: https://store.playstation.com/en-sg/concept/201828/

Has anyone played this and are there any tips going straight into it?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Levantine posted:

I know it's not SRW, but I picked up Gundam Breaker 3 on the Singapore store today for dirt cheap: https://store.playstation.com/en-sg/concept/201828/

Just have fun. The game is way more about Dyansty Warriors with your custom tuned gunplay than anything else.

Don't be afraid to buy full kits for one part.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

ImpAtom posted:

Just have fun. The game is way more about Dyansty Warriors with your custom tuned gunplay than anything else.

Don't be afraid to buy full kits for one part.

Rock on, that's what I was hoping. I finished the first mission and immediately started geeking out at the simple parts I had to play with.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Levantine posted:

If you want to master every ex skill, start early, especially for main weapons.

Doing this will also tank your primary damage, however, as you'll be constantly swapping weapons. (and thus DPS boosters for that weapon) You can mitigate this by farming out a Sazabi shield (has both a ranged and melee attack) and Crossbone X1 Kai Kai legs. (has multiple really good Option weapons)

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
You can merge effects onto the pieces you want. I personally liked getting DG Cells onto everything, since they give regen and I don't want to worry about my health.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Speaking of SRW and difficulty, and what can be done: I recently 100%ed Kadokawa's new SRW competitor Relayer, and while it's a rough first try with bugs and some uneven ideas there's a bunch about it that I really enjoyed, moreso than the VXT trilogy! As I was enjoying it I realized it was because it was so much more different than SRW, and it all lead back to how Relayer puts more restrictions, barriers, and conditions that you have to work around and it felt rewarding to succeed against them.

Also dang I got real excited when I read that Singapore was doing a big sale but none of the SRW 30 DLC is on sale.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

BisbyWorl posted:

If you want to master every ex skill, start early, especially for main weapons.

Doing this will also tank your primary damage, however, as you'll be constantly swapping weapons. (and thus DPS boosters for that weapon) You can mitigate this by farming out a Sazabi shield (has both a ranged and melee attack) and Crossbone X1 Kai Kai legs. (has multiple really good Option weapons)

So just with the little bit I've played I'm overwhelmed with input. How do you master an EX skill and where do you see the scale or bar or whatever for this?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/180223/status/1544333121390186496

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Levantine posted:

So just with the little bit I've played I'm overwhelmed with input. How do you master an EX skill and where do you see the scale or bar or whatever for this?

EX skills master as you use them, the move selection screen will show a bar on the moves description page that'll slowly fill up. A mastered EX skill is decoupled from whatever part has it.

An important thing to note is that the bar fills per use, so transformation skills take a good deal longer to master.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

BisbyWorl posted:

EX skills master as you use them, the move selection screen will show a bar on the moves description page that'll slowly fill up. A mastered EX skill is decoupled from whatever part has it.

An important thing to note is that the bar fills per use, so transformation skills take a good deal longer to master.

Ok, awesome thanks! I'll need to play a bit of the game to really get a feel for it I'm sure. Early on it feels like there are a ton of moving parts and figuring it all out is half the game.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

Levantine posted:

Been years since I played, but IIRC:
-You can merge passives from any part in a category to any other part (in the same category?), so you can have Nanoskin, VPS and Laminate armor on one part? Go nuts.
-There is a fiddly combo using two handed rifles and two handed swords. rifles get a skill to instantly remove an enemy's head, the sword gets a move that completely blows apart anything with even a single missing part, allowing a finisher on the core. Probably more trouble than it is worth.
-Going all in on funnels/bits can be very effective, if boring. Watching your 30 odd funnels wipe out whole hordes is kind of fun on its own though
-A really simple but effective thing to do once you get Builder parts is to slap an i-field (of some sort) on your MS and call it a day. It will soak beams until it runs out of juice without you needing to turn it on or off like a GN-field
-if you see a Gedlev tire you are in for a good time in that section, running over everything is very much an option there.

I do have a google doc I still had saved from years ago with stuff like derive trees, what suits are in what missions and a list of what abilities come on which parts, if you want that linked. Does have some spoilers though.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

If you want cheat mode Strike Freedom's body/wings are absurdly broken. The super mode for that basically is "everything around you dies miserably for 30+ seconds."

Policenaut posted:

Speaking of SRW and difficulty, and what can be done: I recently 100%ed Kadokawa's new SRW competitor Relayer, and while it's a rough first try with bugs and some uneven ideas there's a bunch about it that I really enjoyed, moreso than the VXT trilogy! As I was enjoying it I realized it was because it was so much more different than SRW, and it all lead back to how Relayer puts more restrictions, barriers, and conditions that you have to work around and it felt rewarding to succeed against them.

Also dang I got real excited when I read that Singapore was doing a big sale but none of the SRW 30 DLC is on sale.

I'm pretty sour on Relayer because it was so bluntly released unfinished. Like patching in things like "the ability to upgrade your robot" or "actually putting more than one attack animation" is pretty crappy. I could see it being a better game once it actually is complete but I'm not super fond of the strategy of piecemealing out basic poo poo.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Ashsaber posted:

Been years since I played, but IIRC:
-You can merge passives from any part in a category to any other part (in the same category?), so you can have Nanoskin, VPS and Laminate armor on one part? Go nuts.
-There is a fiddly combo using two handed rifles and two handed swords. rifles get a skill to instantly remove an enemy's head, the sword gets a move that completely blows apart anything with even a single missing part, allowing a finisher on the core. Probably more trouble than it is worth.
-Going all in on funnels/bits can be very effective, if boring. Watching your 30 odd funnels wipe out whole hordes is kind of fun on its own though
-A really simple but effective thing to do once you get Builder parts is to slap an i-field (of some sort) on your MS and call it a day. It will soak beams until it runs out of juice without you needing to turn it on or off like a GN-field
-if you see a Gedlev tire you are in for a good time in that section, running over everything is very much an option there.

I do have a google doc I still had saved from years ago with stuff like derive trees, what suits are in what missions and a list of what abilities come on which parts, if you want that linked. Does have some spoilers though.

I would love that google doc! I just started Chapter 2 and I'm starting to understand some of the underlying systems, but it throws so much at you. That said, it's just a ton of fun grinding parts and making Gundams. I just played with the Merge function and making really strong parts with lots of abilities is super satisfying.

Does stage difficulty matter for the quality of parts you get?

ImpAtom posted:

If you want cheat mode Strike Freedom's body/wings are absurdly broken. The super mode for that basically is "everything around you dies miserably for 30+ seconds."

I'll keep an eye out for those. I'm getting Seed parts now so maybe not too far off.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

Levantine posted:

I would love that google doc! I just started Chapter 2 and I'm starting to understand some of the underlying systems, but it throws so much at you. That said, it's just a ton of fun grinding parts and making Gundams. I just played with the Merge function and making really strong parts with lots of abilities is super satisfying.

Does stage difficulty matter for the quality of parts you get?

I'll keep an eye out for those. I'm getting Seed parts now so maybe not too far off.

Ta Da. Hope at least some of that helps.

Difficulty does make a difference in drops, but the real difference doesn't come until you complete the game once. After your first clear you get a new difficulty mode which can drop MG parts as well.

Overall there is no wrong way to play, so make your own coolest MS and go wild.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ashsaber posted:

Difficulty does make a difference in drops, but the real difference doesn't come until you complete the game once. After your first clear you get a new difficulty mode which can drop MG parts as well.

Yeah at the end of the day the game allows you to do whatever you want. It's very much a game designed to let you build crazy Gunpla and then beat stuff up with them so you can build crazier Gunpla.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
I got all excited for a moment then realized it was GB3 and not the one PC has, which is poo poo. :sigh:

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Ashsaber posted:

Thank you! It definitely feels like a "Play and enjoy" game and I'm having a blast with it. I just found some Hi-nu parts in a mission and I realized that you can increase rarity of items through merges and had a head slapper moment. I'd been avoiding parts that were lower rarity but now I feel a bit more empowered to go nuts.

So for backpacks, what should I be looking at, really? I have the 7 sword system equipped and frankly nothing can really beat it. The beam and phys resistance stat are super high, so much so that no individual shield can really keep up. It auto heals me and lets me equip a bunch of strong GN option parts. I have some cool backpacks but nothing seems as good.

edit:

Kitfox88 posted:

I got all excited for a moment then realized it was GB3 and not the one PC has, which is poo poo. :sigh:

That's actually why I picked up GB3. I was considering NGB on Steam and all the reviews were like "Just go play GB2/3". I'm sad they dropped the ball so hard with that entry. I hope it didn't kill the series.

Levantine fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jul 7, 2022

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Levantine posted:

That's actually why I picked up GB3. I was considering NGB on Steam and all the reviews were like "Just go play GB2/3". I'm sad they dropped the ball so hard with that entry. I hope it didn't kill the series.

It likely did. I liked 2 the best but 3 isn't far off of it.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Levantine posted:

So for backpacks, what should I be looking at, really? I have the 7 sword system equipped and frankly nothing can really beat it. The beam and phys resistance stat are super high, so much so that no individual shield can really keep up. It auto heals me and lets me equip a bunch of strong GN option parts. I have some cool backpacks but nothing seems as good.

Psycho Zaku, because Big.

Bonus points if, once you start getting MG parts, you use an MG Psycho Zaku backpack with an HG body.

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

Psycho Landlord posted:

Any arguments about 30's cast being not great are invalidated by the fact that 30 has the Rayearth girls being mentored by the Armageddon-era Getter team tbh
it's an incredible bit

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

its a fun bit but due to the nature of 30 its a conversation that can only come up twice and their plots cant actually intersect at all, so it kind of proves the point if anything.

like compare it to stuff like lelouch and kaminas' weird rivalry in z2.1, or heero and sousuke's friendship in w, where it actually informs their characters and development, and even slightly impacts how their plots play out

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I liked the originals. The XO doesn't exist.

Also it's been so long since I thought of the game that I have forgotten the name of the rival, because I just call him Hordak now.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
GB3 - I made the mistake of using Strike Freedom's backpack and the Dragoon system and now it's hard to take anything else. It's such a great "Oh poo poo" button. I'm still switching things out to learn skills but I can't see not going back to it unless it just sucks on higher difficulties.

What weapon skills should I be looking for long term? Bazooka stuff seems really good so far, and I love the basic beam saber moveset (Hi-Nu saber is my fave so far). I haven't spent much time with any of the dual weapons yet though.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Levantine posted:

GB3 - I made the mistake of using Strike Freedom's backpack and the Dragoon system and now it's hard to take anything else. It's such a great "Oh poo poo" button. I'm still switching things out to learn skills but I can't see not going back to it unless it just sucks on higher difficulties.

What weapon skills should I be looking for long term? Bazooka stuff seems really good so far, and I love the basic beam saber moveset (Hi-Nu saber is my fave so far). I haven't spent much time with any of the dual weapons yet though.

Axes have a generic skill that turns you into a blender for the duration.

Dual swords have a generic skill that create 4 energy blades to blender around you for the duration.

You can combine these.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

BisbyWorl posted:

Axes have a generic skill that turns you into a blender for the duration.

Dual swords have a generic skill that create 4 energy blades to blender around you for the duration.

You can combine these.

What luck! I just started using Axes a few moments ago! Are the best EX Burst skills the one that remove all parts as well?

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

do I have to do anything weird to get the expansion on my switch? I'm downloading a honkin huge update now because I haven't picked up the game in like 4 months.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Closing in on the Platinum for Gundam Breaker 3 and what a cool game it's been. I ended up kind of breaking the difficulty curve in Extreme by grinding the DLC trophies. By the end of it all I had pretty much maxed stats on all my stuff so when I rolled around into Newtype it didn't have much for me in the way of difficulty. I can imagine it was a lot harder playing it before the DLC stuff. I've made two gundams that I swap between: One that uses the Atomic Bazooka and the Radiator Shield and the other that uses the Sigmaxxis Rifle and the S-Gundam Saber because it's blue and cool. Both loadouts use the stronger whip gravity ball, dragoon system and the rose hurricane skill. Most of the fun was in figuring out what I wanted my suits to look like and what skills I wanted on them.

Shame NGB isn't any good. Maybe a few more Gundam series from now we'll get a good one again.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

New Gundam Breaker seems to have been bad enough to kill the series, it was part of an ill advised strategy to bring two series back to the US with their weakest entries in years (Gundam Versus was the other). Bamco just can't figure it out with Gundam games for some reason.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I'm just waiting around for Xboost whenever it gets here on the PS6

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Midjack posted:

New Gundam Breaker seems to have been bad enough to kill the series, it was part of an ill advised strategy to bring two series back to the US with their weakest entries in years (Gundam Versus was the other). Bamco just can't figure it out with Gundam games for some reason.

New Gundam Breaker just played so differently from the previous entries. All I wanted was an updated Gundam Breaker with more IBO suits, and instead I got a three-on-three battler that relies on swapping out parts mid-battle.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Midjack posted:

The series isn't dead, even if it's not in the best shape, either. There's an ongoing mobile phone game that got an ONA just last year, complete with actual model kits, and the plot of the series (as well as the arc in the cell phone game that tied into it) was about the Gundam Breaker 3 protagonists meeting the Gundam Breaker Mobile cast.

I don't know exactly how the model sales did, but there was enough faith in the series for the kits to flood mass retail (including American big box stores), and they aren't getting mass discounted like Kyoukai Senki.

Between all of that, it suggests that Bandai hasn't given up on the series entirely, and is aware that "New" was much less popular than 3.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Midjack posted:

What a bummer to hear. NGB came out like 6 years ago? Not great.

chiasaur11 posted:

The series isn't dead, even if it's not in the best shape, either. There's an ongoing mobile phone game that got an ONA just last year, complete with actual model kits, and the plot of the series (as well as the arc in the cell phone game that tied into it) was about the Gundam Breaker 3 protagonists meeting the Gundam Breaker Mobile cast.

I don't know exactly how the model sales did, but there was enough faith in the series for the kits to flood mass retail (including American big box stores), and they aren't getting mass discounted like Kyoukai Senki.

Between all of that, it suggests that Bandai hasn't given up on the series entirely, and is aware that "New" was much less popular than 3.

If they've gone all in on mobile games then yeah, I can't imagine they are too interested in the series for consoles. I hope that we do get a GB4 but it doesn't look good right now.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Levantine posted:

What a bummer to hear. NGB came out like 6 years ago? Not great.

If they've gone all in on mobile games then yeah, I can't imagine they are too interested in the series for consoles. I hope that we do get a GB4 but it doesn't look good right now.

New Gundam Breaker came out in 2018 which was only 4 years ago

KoB
May 1, 2009
New Gundam Musou also killed that series :thunk:

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Gundam Breaker, Gundam Musou and Gihren's Greed. Something tells me they should stop making Gundam games with 'New' as a prefix.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Bloody Pom posted:

Gundam Breaker, Gundam Musou and Gihren's Greed. Something tells me they should stop making Gundam games with 'New' as a prefix.

They should use "Nu" instead. And also localize a Gihren's Greed game already.

KoB
May 1, 2009
SRW survived Shin SRW, Bandai. give us the 4th game Breaker/Musou games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

Bloody Pom posted:

SRW Neo was okay, though. But I guess that's a suffix.