Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib

RatHat posted:

Looks like she’s a special kind of fiend then.
By the way, the new guy is Yoshida, the devil Hunter who uses the Octopus devil. Presumably he’s undercover for some reason.

He's not undercover, he was a student in chainsaw man part 1 and mentioned having to take his exams!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

RatHat posted:

Looks like she’s a special kind of fiend then.
By the way, the new guy is Yoshida, the devil Hunter who uses the Octopus devil. Presumably he’s undercover for some reason.

Oh my god I forgot about this guy existing

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

muscles like this! posted:

There can't be too much time passing between chapters because Denji turned 17 at the end of the first part so there's a limited amount of time he could be in school.

i meant more along the lines of him being in like his early 20s now and picking Nayuta up from the club at the end of the day, for example, although rereading the chapter now it was explicitly stated that he's going to the school in addition to Yoshida being here meaning that not too much time has passed, so frankly, who knows

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
seems like Yoshida should be able to notice something is off with our new protagonist. this devil club exam is going to go horribly wrong

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Turns out her scars aren't just visual shorthand for who's in control, but are actually appearing and disappearing so everyone immediately knows something is up.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
there's also the huge personality swings and verbiage changes

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

ImpAtom posted:

I feel like in the world of Chainsaw Man you have to be really good at identifying bodies from horrorgore

Yeah good point.

I kinda want this to go that War is so upfront and awkward around people that the only time we see her ability was the first chapter as no one ever falls for her without already having a crush on Mikaya leading to more and more frustration

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Teaching War to love

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

seems like Yoshida should be able to notice something is off with our new protagonist. this devil club exam is going to go horribly wrong

yoshida’s enough of a maniac to go fisticuffs with quanxi and ask for a rematch, he’s definitely onto her

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Introducing yoshida is such a disaster. I can't wait for this situation to explode. Wonderful stuff.

There is no way Yoshida doesn't know something is up and I can't imagine he'd join the devil hunter club for any other reason. He's already done contract work for public safety, he's way too big a fish for this club.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Also he's one of the few people who knows who CSM really is. So even if he is only slightly wary of Mitaka it makes sense he'd like to keep an eye on her considering he knows she's looking for CSM. He also knows the craziness that went down last time people were looking for chainsaw

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

debating between if the third member of their team will be a really kickass undercover devil hunter like Yoshida, or she just ends up a cadaver to highlight that it's really, really loving stupid for a high school to have a Devil Hunter Club

ATP_Power
Jun 12, 2010

This is what fascinates me most in existence: the peculiar necessity of imagining what is, in fact, real.

I'm wondering if It's Yoshida or Asa commenting about the scars on her body when War takes over - really changes the interpretation of the scene and Yoshida's actions

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Who wants to bet Kobeni's current part-time job is substitute teacher?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
yoshida should know an incredibly obvious fiend when he sees one. so war gave up the game to the very first person she talks to. that's great.

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
Cut her some slack, she's War, not Tactics.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
Chainsaw Man: Shall I Make You My Boyfriend

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
War not understanding human interactions has to lead to some funny rear end poo poo. this whole plan seems overly simplistic and not well thought out. hmm let me just convince everyone to love me, so I can beat the poo poo out of chainsaw man

I kinda want War to stick around for a while flailing about

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Yoshida was a mediocre devil hunter no?

Though he was insightful enough to realize that and survive that mission in part 1. So yeah, he probably knows something.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Hypocrisy posted:

Yoshida was a mediocre devil hunter no?

Though he was insightful enough to realize that and survive that mission in part 1. So yeah, he probably knows something.

he called himself mediocre, but he’s good enough to earn kishibe’s confidence and trade blows with quanxi, and the one non-superpowered assassin who bumped into him was literally juiced off-panel, so he’s probably being a little modest

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
People reading the first issue wondering if War is going to be the new driving villain of this stage of the story.

Turns out she's the Power.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
New girl looks like this dude

probably just a coincidence

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.
Oh boy! it's time to get SO POPULAR!

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I didn't catch it before someone mentioned it, but War being able to do that to people that love her means Nahyuta's classmate was right and the teacher actually was interested in her. Might have been a blessing in disguise both ways.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

This means we're going to be introduced to an incredibly loveable charismatic character who after many trials and tribulations will fall in love with our heroine and then War will turn their teeth into landmines

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Teaching War to love

love can bloom even on a battlefield

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Justin_Brett posted:

I didn't catch it before someone mentioned it, but War being able to do that to people that love her means Nahyuta's classmate was right and the teacher actually was interested in her. Might have been a blessing in disguise both ways.

Nah probably more that any body parts she tears off “belong to” her.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

RatHat posted:

Nah probably more that any body parts she tears off “belong to” her.

she didn’t tear any parts off her teacher, that guy already “belonged” to her due to his infatuation

so right now war’s options include flirting, wanton dismemberment, or maybe running for the student council or something

Two Inch Bee
Apr 17, 2003
Damn you, Lyle, and damn your style.

Popo posted:

Oh boy! it's time to get SO POPULAR!

Climactic moment of Part 2: Teen Girl Squad intro, but with all four Horsemen of the Apocalypse

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
That school's in trouble, Mitaka has already established herself as top of the pecking order.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

It would also be funny if War only knows Mikata from what it saw of her getting killed by a jealous classmate and incorrectly assumed she must be popular and thus a great host for its ability and instead unwittingly attached itself to the most unliked and unsocial girl in school

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021
Asa and War having an Eddie Brock and Venom relationship is great, and makes this seem even more like a Spider-Man story.

Can't wait for Asa to be friends with Denji while hating Chainsawman even more.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

he called himself mediocre, but he’s good enough to earn kishibe’s confidence and trade blows with quanxi, and the one non-superpowered assassin who bumped into him was literally juiced off-panel, so he’s probably being a little modest

He described himself as third rate, but Kishibe responded by saying that, if Yoshida was third rate, he was fourth rate.

He also managed to survive taking a job from Makima. There's no way he didn't have War figured out immediately.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I like this so far.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Big Leg posted:

mfw encountering the propane and propane accessories devil

Impossible.

No one would be afraid of Propane and Propane Accessories. They're a perfect force for good! There can't be a devil of such a thing.

Now Charcoal...

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

He stood and banged with Quanxi twice and we’ve seen what a monster she is. He’s a modest king

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Supremezero posted:

Impossible.

No one would be afraid of Propane and Propane Accessories. They're a perfect force for good! There can't be a devil of such a thing.

Now Charcoal...

If there's no propane devil, how do you explain this?

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I am pretty curious about War's ownership of something as a concept. If they became Japanese PM presumably they could consider themselves the boss/owner of Japan. could they convert the entire nation into a weapon then? I assume yes, their power seems similar to Makima's in how it takes hold and grows. Makes sense for conflict and control to both be powers that build in strength as they get more people to fall under their banner.

I also wonder how leverage would work. If War manages to take charge of the devil hunter club then uses them effectively as hostages could they consider that ownership of the school if the principal capitulates to their demands. Very interesting power concept. My first thought was that it was limited if she had to "own" things. However considering how open to interpretation ownership is War can really build up an incredible power to wield.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

EmmyOk posted:

I am pretty curious about War's ownership of something as a concept. If they became Japanese PM presumably they could consider themselves the boss/owner of Japan. could they convert the entire nation into a weapon then? I assume yes, their power seems similar to Makima's in how it takes hold and grows. Makes sense for conflict and control to both be powers that build in strength as they get more people to fall under their banner.

I also wonder how leverage would work. If War manages to take charge of the devil hunter club then uses them effectively as hostages could they consider that ownership of the school if the principal capitulates to their demands. Very interesting power concept. My first thought was that it was limited if she had to "own" things. However considering how open to interpretation ownership is War can really build up an incredible power to wield.

I mean, if you assume Makima was Conquest, it makes a fair amount of sense that War's abilities would work under similar logic.

chiasaur11 posted:

If there's no propane devil, how do you explain this?

Charcoal devil propaganda.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

EmmyOk posted:

He stood and banged with Quanxi twice and we’ve seen what a monster she is. He’s a modest king

Fair enough. Though she did throw him out of a window.