Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

all my screens are just 1080p anyway, get owned

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
I'm getting older and my vision is getting worse, everything is 1080 to me

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Gay Retard posted:

Are Rapsberry Pi’s any good at Docker? I’ve often thought about transitioning some of my containers away from Unraid to a Pi in order to reduce any bottlenecking that may occur.

This is how I run my Plex/Owncloud/Gitea/Samba/Geneweb server on a RPi4.

Maybe today I'll try to convert it from Ubuntu to Flatcar.

hbag posted:

all my screens are just 1080p anyway, get owned

I recently hooked a Chromecast up to a 4k monitor and discovered that I can't tell the difference between that and 1080p when I'm six feet away. My family doesn't appear to notice a difference between 720p and 1080p after about 15 seconds into whatever's playing, and 90% of our library is 480p DVD rips anyway, which suits us just fine and saves a ton of money on hard drives.

cruft fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Jul 17, 2022

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

Storage is cheap enough, I'll always have a hoarder/archivist mindset that I want the highest quality version available for streaming locally, including media that I may not watch again, but has sentimental value (old Nick/Adult Swim shows, for example).

I'm maybe spending $200-$400 a year on shucked $200 14TB EasyStores.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

TraderStav posted:

Not sure if this is in response to me, I didn't mention that my 4K library is only for local.

Trying to get the lay of the land. If a higher spec dedicated plex machine is in order I'm good with that too.

Dunno if we saw the same reddit post, but I read a user with an i3-10100 in their server has no problem HW transcoding 4K HDR content down to tonemapped 1080p SDR. In the same reddit thread, apparently 11th and 12th gen Intel CPUs have unraid issues, so 10th gen is the way to go it seems like.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

teagone posted:

Dunno if we saw the same reddit post, but I read a user with an i3-10100 in their server has no problem HW transcoding 4K HDR content down to tonemapped 1080p SDR. In the same reddit thread, apparently 11th and 12th gen Intel CPUs have unraid issues, so 10th gen is the way to go it seems like.

If I'm not doing double duty with the plex server hosting the NAS also, they unraid conflict may not be an issue.

What are most people running plex on in this situation when it is the only thing really being run? Are there distros created that have an environment just for your plex dockers? Or dockers in general.

The more I type what would be ideal is basically unraid without any of the NAS components or VM bits. Just a husk that's let's me manage and run docker. If that makes sense.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
You can definitely just run unraid like that, the free tier would do. It is a nice interface for docker with it's community apps service for sure. You can just run a single ssd disk in your array, or two if you want parity. Nothing else is mandatory, it's just a regular filesystem that goes on the disks. You can just turn the VM manager off in settings if you don't want to see it.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

I mean unraid seems pretty lightweight, it’s what I am running. My friends unraid box I set up for him is in England and has been virtually maintenance free for close to 9 years now. He is running a HP box if I recall. He runs plex and now is running sAbnzbd, sonar and radar and it’s been a working fine.

Maybe you want an even more lightweight distro for just plex? I would ask in the NAS thread.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

I didn't realize that the free license of unraid would work. I've been running it on my big server all along. Since I'm familiar with it it would be ideal to use it.

Thanks! Going to hone in on the right NUC in the next month or so then, sounds like these things can be solid powerhouses for transcoding.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Pretty much any distro will run docker engine too, and you can control it remotely using docker desktop iirc.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012
I have a Plex server on a RasPi, reading from a typically spinny 4TB external HD. It's basically perfect. It does x264, x265, talks to my AppleTV, reliably doesn't transcode for no drat reason, and basically it works so well I forget it exists.

Until today. I downloaded the Plex desktop app onto my (work) 16-inch 2019MBP — which reliably runs Plexamp without issue — because I wanted to have some of my TV content on my second monitor. It won't play anything. Just immediately says 'This server is not powerful enough to convert video' without even looking like there was an attempt to play it.

I've downloaded the plex app onto my home 13-inch M1 MBP and it plays things. My phone plays things. It's definitely not the Pi. The settings on the work machine Plex.app are exactly the same as in the WebPlayer.

Any ideas?

Burden
Jul 25, 2006

Jeherrin posted:

I have a Plex server on a RasPi, reading from a typically spinny 4TB external HD. It's basically perfect. It does x264, x265, talks to my AppleTV, reliably doesn't transcode for no drat reason, and basically it works so well I forget it exists.

Until today. I downloaded the Plex desktop app onto my (work) 16-inch 2019MBP — which reliably runs Plexamp without issue — because I wanted to have some of my TV content on my second monitor. It won't play anything. Just immediately says 'This server is not powerful enough to convert video' without even looking like there was an attempt to play it.

I've downloaded the plex app onto my home 13-inch M1 MBP and it plays things. My phone plays things. It's definitely not the Pi. The settings on the work machine Plex.app are exactly the same as in the WebPlayer.

Any ideas?

Is the streaming quality is set to maximum or original quality? It defaults to 720p, and you have to change that manually.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

another person here with a 1080 server for everyone else and a 4k server for myself. waaaay less hassle.

and I pretty much only get x265, everyone is either using a newer Roku or apple tv so it's the best file size without issues.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

Burden posted:

Is the streaming quality is set to maximum or original quality? It defaults to 720p, and you have to change that manually.

Everything I can find in the Plex.app on the 2019 Mac is set to maximum. I didn't change a single thing on the M1 install and it just worked. Settings are identical.

ETA: When I look at the dashboard on the plex web app panel, it thinks it's playing. No transcoding, nothing.

Jeherrin fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Jul 18, 2022

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Is there any reason you're using the desktop app instead of the site? I don't know that I've ever used it.

edit: I just googled it and apparently it deals with playing a wide range of stuff a lot better. The more you know!

odiv fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Jul 18, 2022

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Yep, the UX is pretty bad but it fields stuff way better than the website(s).

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Getting ready for a long vacation, forgot how poo poo ‘Downloads’ are compared to Sync. Items failing left and right with no good reason (or error provided to help). Anyone have tricks to make this work better? I think in the past I just kept hitting retry and eventually they worked.

Sir DonkeyPunch
Mar 23, 2007

I didn't hear no bell

TraderStav posted:

Getting ready for a long vacation, forgot how poo poo ‘Downloads’ are compared to Sync. Items failing left and right with no good reason (or error provided to help). Anyone have tricks to make this work better? I think in the past I just kept hitting retry and eventually they worked.

Depending on your library, you might be trying to pull very large files? I know my kids iPad was trying to pull the full Blu-ray rip for a few things

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

Sir DonkeyPunch posted:

Depending on your library, you might be trying to pull very large files? I know my kids iPad was trying to pull the full Blu-ray rip for a few things

File size shouldn’t be an issue. Have over 120gb of free space and none of these files are going to be greater than 10gb each.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

Warbird posted:

Yep, the UX is pretty bad but it fields stuff way better than the website(s).

This is the great irony, because on that machine the web app works just fine.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

TraderStav posted:

Use infuse

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

kri kri posted:

Use infuse

I’ll check it out, does every member of my family (each have their own Apple account) need to subscribe to their premium to use offline playback?

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

TraderStav posted:

What are most people running plex on in this situation when it is the only thing really being run? Are there distros created that have an environment just for your plex dockers? Or dockers in general.

Flatcar is what we use at work. It applies its own security patches and updates automatically in the time window you provide.

It takes a bit to understand how to get it up and running, but once you've done that, you pretty much never have to think about the OS again. And if you use the linuxserver docker image, you never have to think about upgrading Plex again, either. Just set RELEASE=stable or whatever and it'll download the latest every time the OS reboots (about once a month).

One day I'm going to have enough time to put Flatcar on my RPi at home. Currently it's running Ubuntu, and while stable, the apt-get upgrades take waaaaaay longer than flatcar's A/B OS partition. And require manual oversight.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

TraderStav posted:

I’ll check it out, does every member of my family (each have their own Apple account) need to subscribe to their premium to use offline playback?

You can family share the iap if that’s an option for you.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

cruft posted:

Currently it's running Ubuntu, and while stable, the apt-get upgrades take waaaaaay longer than flatcar's A/B OS partition. And require manual oversight.
Why's that? I'm running Ubuntu and have unattended upgrades set up to run daily. The only time I need to manually intervene is when upgrading to the next LTS release.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

acksplode posted:

Why's that? I'm running Ubuntu and have unattended upgrades set up to run daily. The only time I need to manually intervene is when upgrading to the next LTS release.

I'm glad Ubuntu is working well for you! I've found Flatcar to be much less work for a Docker-only system (or 300+ systems).

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I have a Synology NAS DS418Play, connected via Cat6 ethernet, in a home network controlled by Ubiquiti Routers/Access Points, streaming content to a Nvidia Shield TV Pro and I play for Plex Pass.

My Question: How the gently caress can I still not play a 1080p x265 HEVC video with subtitles on without a 50/50 chance of it freezing multiple times an episode? The reason I got most of this gear was the goal of being able watch 4k blu ray rips with good audio and video bitrates and it can't even do subtitles on a 1080p file?

Please tell me there is some magic fix or option in the setting menu i've overlooked.

Scruff McGruff
Feb 13, 2007

Jesus, kid, you're almost a detective. All you need now is a gun, a gut, and three ex-wives.

Looten Plunder posted:

I have a Synology NAS DS418Play, connected via Cat6 ethernet, in a home network controlled by Ubiquiti Routers/Access Points, streaming content to a Nvidia Shield TV Pro and I play for Plex Pass.

My Question: How the gently caress can I still not play a 1080p x265 HEVC video with subtitles on without a 50/50 chance of it freezing multiple times an episode? The reason I got most of this gear was the goal of being able watch 4k blu ray rips with good audio and video bitrates and it can't even do subtitles on a 1080p file?

Please tell me there is some magic fix or option in the setting menu i've overlooked.

Do you know what format your subs are in? I know some specific formats just crush the playback sometimes. I usually end up with buffering if it's anything other than .SRT

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

What’s the alternative client like Infuse? I bet that solves it.

TwoHeadedDeer
Nov 24, 2020

I will be made a new creature, one bright day
hey folks, have a real basic question here, not the most knowledgeable about how this stuff works

I've been moving away from streaming because of how much compression artifacts bother me. right now I'm running 1080 video files off of an external HD and stuff looks great, but I'm thinking about moving over to a NAS for all of the extra space. because I would be technically be streaming these files off of the NAS rather than playing them natively, am I going to have to worry about compression artifacts and random buffering again? I have gigabit internet, and would connect the NAS to ethernet for sure, but yeah. any insights appreciated

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Should be fine. Client is more important than server, as long as the server has the ability to feed the file at the necessary speed. If you have a client (Roku, AppleTV, Shield etc) that natively plays the codec/subs you're feeding it and it's all connected across a fast network you'll be good. If you need to transcode because of incompatibility or connectivity issues, that's where the NAS might struggle a bit more (although I'm sure modern ones are all capable of doing a stream or two without much issue, but playing as much Direct as possible is the key).

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Looten Plunder posted:

Is the Shield capable of direct play streaming those codecs/files? Is it connected via wifi or Ethernet? If wifi, is it ac/ax and prioritized across the network?

I ask only because this tripped me up with my 4K local direct streaming. I needed my AppleTV 4K (latest gen) on the 5 GHz channel with highest priority selected on the network.

Honestly, it might be the x265 which I still see trouble with in Plex (mostly older x265 encodes)

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

my 1080 library is almost entirely x265 and no one has had issues, between rokus and apple TVs (and my shield tube)

Is the Synology powerful? I honestly have no idea. Can it only really direct play?

Because one thing I did have trouble loving with when it came to inconsistent playback was audio settings. If you check my post history the specific thing that I altered is there, I just don't remember it now that all of my Plex troubleshooting is pretty much done

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol
I've run Plex servers on 3 completely different systems now and still haven't found a system that will reliably transcode on the fly x265 with subtitles on unless the subs are .srt or downloaded via the plex-pass enabled subtitle selection menu.

The normal subtitle format I come across in *265 encodes are a format that requires every frame to be rendered on the fly with the subtitles burnt into them and no system Ive used can do it so far.

Try using the subtitle menu to download new subtitles and see if that fixes your issue, or figure out why your client is transcoding instead of direct playback.

@forest spirit can you share the specs / OS of your server? I haven't hosted Plex server on anything insane but my experience does not mirror yours at all when it comes to x265 and subtitles specifically.

Brain Issues fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Jul 20, 2022

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

By HEVC/265 files with subs, are we talking about regular movie UHD remuxes with whatever the disc format is in, 1080p reencodes of the previous, or wacky anime stuff that might have all kinds of weird and wondering subtitle encodings.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Thwomp posted:

Is the Shield capable of direct play streaming those codecs/files? Is it connected via wifi or Ethernet? If wifi, is it ac/ax and prioritized across the network?
It's connected via Ethernet. I don't know for a fact it's capable of direct playing them, I bought the Shield because it's one of the best in class streamers and I'm assuming. These aren't super wacky transcodes, it's just every day TPB/RARBG stuff.

Brain Issues posted:

The normal subtitle format I come across in *265 encodes are a format that requires every frame to be rendered on the fly with the subtitles burnt into them and no system Ive used can do it so far.
Try using the subtitle menu to download new subtitles and see if that fixes your issue, or figure out why your client is transcoding instead of direct playback.
Yeah, I assumed they were .srt but lately, most TV shows have the subs built into the encode and I'm not even sure what format they're in, so maybe it is the case of having to render on the fly. I'll try using the sub menu and see what happens (I loving hate the sub menu because I need to try about 4 different results until I find one that isn't out of sync).

What's the most effective way of diagnosing the reason something needs to transcode, is it via the Client app on my Shield or the Server App on my PC?

EL BROMANCE posted:

By HEVC/265 files with subs, are we talking about regular movie UHD remuxes with whatever the disc format is in, 1080p reencodes of the previous, or wacky anime stuff that might have all kinds of weird and wondering subtitle encodings.
The most recent examples that caused my rant were things like .x265 1080p episodes of Better Call Saul and The Rehearsal on TPB (which I think are re-encodes of the x264 rips from the same crew)

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

EL BROMANCE posted:

In my experience the issue pops up on any x265/h265 files with PGS subtitles + transcoding. If you remove any 1 of those variables it works fine.

Looten Plunder posted:

What's the most effective way of diagnosing the reason something needs to transcode, is it via the Client app on my Shield or the Server App on my PC?

Plex dashboard on computer while playing on the shield should show you if you are transcoding and then also show you if it’s transcoding video, audio, or both.

Then it’s just changing settings around until you get direct play working. I don’t recall ever running across any files that couldn’t be direct played with my Nvidia shield tv pro + lg OLED.

Here’s a Reddit thread from a few months ago regarding PGS transcoding. There’s a good post from Blind_Watchman that narrows it down well.

https://www.reddit.com/r/PleX/comments/tvfbal/what_sort_of_processing_power_do_i_need_for_pgs/

Brain Issues fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jul 20, 2022

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the info.

It's mind blowing to me that something as seemingly innocuous as loving subtitles can cause so many issues.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Looten Plunder posted:

Thanks for the info.

It's mind blowing to me that something as seemingly innocuous as loving subtitles can cause so many issues.

You’re welcome!

I thought the same thing when I first ran into the issue like 3 years ago and it hasn’t gotten any better since then.

My 4K content is still only available locally because I’ve not yet figured out a solution to the PGS problem. Please let us know if you find out a fix!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

And here I am just innocuously remixing a 4k video in real time.......

(you're asking a lot - the ability to do this on a single machine in real time was simply not a thing not all that long ago)