Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Harriet Carker posted:

$250 a piece for roof box vents - reasonable? They are recommending 4 for about 1000 square feet.

Is there a reason they aren't doing ridge venting? I've had both and much prefer the ridge vents, they are easier to install imo too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Yooper posted:

Is there a reason they aren't doing ridge venting? I've had both and much prefer the ridge vents, they are easier to install imo too.

Because the service is being offered by an insulation contractor in the course of replacing attic insulation, not a roofer replacing a roof. Retrofitting a ridge vent at a time when the roof isn't being replaced doesn't seem like a great idea. It may also require extensive soffit work depending on how open it is or isn't already.

Box vents are easy, quick, cheap, and don't require a lot of fuss to immediately make things better.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Harriet Carker posted:

$250 a piece for roof box vents - reasonable? They are recommending 4 for about 1000 square feet.
The vents themselves are pretty inexpensive, so it's the labor that costs. Might sound a titch high, but doesn't sound crazy..... but I've never had them installed after the fact so :shrug:

PainterofCrap posted:

I would drop down that recessed light & its box closest to the sink, & see/feel around up there to determine the run direction of the floor joists above. You should be able to reach up in there with a spade bit & an extension (if there is a joist blocking your way) & drill a hole through for a wire, if necessary.

If you're lucky, & that is an open chase, it would be a fairly straightforward matter of wiring to the existing can & running it to a another location over the sink.
Yeah, I'll take a look.

ACTUALLY I just remembered as I'm typing this that I have proper prints for the house too. I can probably pretty easily see.

e: Nope, prints don't really show it. I'll try to pull down the one potlight and take a looksee.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jul 21, 2022

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

Dumb question, I have a back covered patio that has recessed LED puck lights. I have access via the attic to the entire patio area wiring. I want to add a fan. Would any problems (electrical or otherwise) be caused by tying the wiring for the fan into the lights so the switch turns both on? I would assume not but am still in the planning stages

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Motronic posted:

Because the service is being offered by an insulation contractor in the course of replacing attic insulation, not a roofer replacing a roof. Retrofitting a ridge vent at a time when the roof isn't being replaced doesn't seem like a great idea. It may also require extensive soffit work depending on how open it is or isn't already.

Box vents are easy, quick, cheap, and don't require a lot of fuss to immediately make things better.

If there is insufficient soffit venting wouldn't that be an issue for either one?

Box venting still requires holes cut in the middle of the roof, unless what I think is a box vent is something different?

edit : I'm not being combative, genuinely curious and trying to educate myself.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Yooper posted:

If there is insufficient soffit venting wouldn't that be an issue for either one?

Box venting still requires holes cut in the middle of the roof, unless what I think is a box vent is something different?

edit : I'm not being combative, genuinely curious and trying to educate myself.

They do require proper intake air to do the job well, but it's a much lower bar for them to do "something" compared to a ridge vent.

With box vents you could just open up the soffit under each one and it would work (with baffles to keep the insulation out of the way, which I assume the insulation guys will install). This is mostly because they're fairly large and close enough is gonna get you something.

Ridge vents really need a lot of careful work, a lot more soffit vents, baffles in all of them, etc because they're a lot smaller. For a soffit vent to work you really need to get everything right so the convection starts dragging air through across the entire underside of the roof.

A properly set up and installed ridge vent is MUCH better than even the best installed box vents IMO, it's just a lot bigger job and typically not done unless you're replacing a roof. I do'nt even want to think about trying to cut sheathing across the entire ridge of an already-shingled roof.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Motronic posted:

Because the service is being offered by an insulation contractor in the course of replacing attic insulation, not a roofer replacing a roof

Yep, that’s right. I talked them down to $200 per and decided to go ahead with it. Scope creep, as always, is very real. But I figure if I’m going to get this done, might as well do it right.

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015
Anyone ever plumbed in a refrigerator ice maker?

I got my new fridge yesterday and it has a ice maker. The old one of course did not, having been manufactured in 1977. The utility room is right underneath the kitchen so I'm thinking I'll go down instead of through the cabinets and behind the stove, but I'm still going to have to route the supply tube a fair distance to find a water line, as they're all on the opposite wall.

Is this a reasonably easy DIY plumbing project or should I call a pro?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

PremiumSupport posted:

Is this a reasonably easy DIY plumbing project or should I call a pro?

Completely unknowable without knowing your level of plumbing skills.

Do NOT use a saddle valve kit. They will leak and flood your poo poo eventually. They always do.

You probably want to install a nice wall mount box with a valve and water hammer suppressor like this: https://www.supplyhouse.com/Bluefin-IB050PX-HA-1-2-PEX-Crimp-Ice-Machine-Outlet-Box-w-Water-Hammer-Arrestor

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015
Yeah, unfortunately a box like that is out of the question. The wall behind the fridge is a shared wall between units (dulpex) so no pipe in wall. It's going to have to drilled through the floor, probably copper tubing as it will keep the hole small and the fridge doesn't have the correct fittings for plastic/pex tubing. None of the existing supply pipes are pex either, it's all copper and I've never soldered pipe. The last time I had a plumber in to tap one (whole house humidifier) he used a saddle valve, should I be worried about it?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

PremiumSupport posted:

The last time I had a plumber in to tap one (whole house humidifier) he used a saddle valve, should I be worried about it?

Yes, you should.

You should hire a better plumber to fix the humidifier hookup and to install the ice maker hookup.

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Motronic posted:

They do require proper intake air to do the job well, but it's a much lower bar for them to do "something" compared to a ridge vent.

With box vents you could just open up the soffit under each one and it would work (with baffles to keep the insulation out of the way, which I assume the insulation guys will install). This is mostly because they're fairly large and close enough is gonna get you something.

Ridge vents really need a lot of careful work, a lot more soffit vents, baffles in all of them, etc because they're a lot smaller. For a soffit vent to work you really need to get everything right so the convection starts dragging air through across the entire underside of the roof.

A properly set up and installed ridge vent is MUCH better than even the best installed box vents IMO, it's just a lot bigger job and typically not done unless you're replacing a roof. I do'nt even want to think about trying to cut sheathing across the entire ridge of an already-shingled roof.

Cool, that's a great explanation. Thanks!

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum
The low skill option that's not a saddle valve is cutting into an existing run of pipe, and putting in a either a Sharkbite T + 1/4 stop valve or a combination fitting like the one below.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/SharkBi...4983A/206356284

Minimum tools required would be pipe cutter, something to ream and deburr the cut pipe, and adjustable wrenches for the actual compression fitting for the 1/4 line. Sharkbite fittings have been around a long time now and are reliable as long as you make sure you've got a square reamed/deburred cut and you seat the fitting fully.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Depending how deep the alcove/fridge is, it's possible to have the supply and hammer suppressor on a stub out of the floor.

Here is mine - I did work on my fridge so I'm checking behind it daily for leaks before I button it up.

Personally, I'd hire a plumber but I'm very risk adverse when it comes to working with water.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015
Plumber hired.

Thanks all!

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Harriet Carker posted:

Yep, that’s right. I talked them down to $200 per and decided to go ahead with it. Scope creep, as always, is very real. But I figure if I’m going to get this done, might as well do it right.

You will not regret this decision unless they don't properly install them and they leak in which case you will. It means the hot air in your attic can convection its way out and your house will cool down faster when the sun goes down.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

well, my new metal roof is half done and my upstairs temperature is already down to a point where the AC can cope with it.

I got the most reflective option which might have been overkill, but now I can chill out upstairs and look down on the peasants who are blinded by the light reflecting off my shiny new roof

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Insulation done. They ended up installing 7 roof box vents instead of 4 and not charging me extra so that was a cool surprise. The crawl space is so clean and lovely now! Hoping I did this just in time for the heat dome that’s supposed to hit next week.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Tunicate posted:

well, my new metal roof is half done and my upstairs temperature is already down to a point where the AC can cope with it.

I got the most reflective option which might have been overkill, but now I can chill out upstairs and look down on the peasants who are blinded by the light reflecting off my shiny new roof

Buy your neighbors sunglasses so they can :dealwithit:

MasterOSkillio
Aug 27, 2003

MetaJew posted:

I got my siding and windows replaced a few weeks ago on my 1991 builder house. They tore off this cheap wood-product siding that was rotten around the base from the previous owner not having gutters and water splashing up against it. Then they installed 1/2" foam sheeting, a Tyvek wrap, and 8" (I think) hardie planks. I also opted for some black Andersen 100 "fibrex" windows, that at least aesthetically I really like.

The first photo makes it look a lot worse than the siding was since as they pulled off trim it ripped the existing paint, but it was still pretty ugly to me. I'm regretting now that I didn't buy some insulation batting and insulate the walls of the garage while they were doing this, but it didn't even cross my mind until it was too late.

I'm also annoyed that they rested their ladders against the gutters in a few spots which bent the angle of the gutter down. We've been in a pretty bad drought, but we did get some rain shortly after the construction was done and the water over the back door was running right over it instead of into the gutter which is pretty annoying. I need to call the contractor back to get them to fix it or reimburse me if I have to call some gutter installer to repair it.

I opted to do a cedar siding around the entryway, and I will be lime washing the small amount of brick I have if the weather ever cools down.

Edit: Also, still waiting on the new door which will replace the entire front entryway opening. Who knows how many more weeks/months that's going to take.

Thanks for the info! That all seems like good advice.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
I bought this house and they were adamant that the fireplace is as-is and that it's not functional. I'm trying to get it functional and get a chimney person out here to get mine inspected and cleaned. I'm expecting them to try to sell me on a liner, but is that super necessary? Those stainless steel liners are pretty new inventions and people have had fireplaces for a thousand years. Seems to me that if you have a clean flue that you should be good to go. Can any of you speak to this?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

I bought this house and they were adamant that the fireplace is as-is and that it's not functional. I'm trying to get it functional and get a chimney person out here to get mine inspected and cleaned. I'm expecting them to try to sell me on a liner, but is that super necessary? Those stainless steel liners are pretty new inventions and people have had fireplaces for a thousand years. Seems to me that if you have a clean flue that you should be good to go. Can any of you speak to this?

If you have cracks/defects in your masonry you have to fix it. One of those ways is a liner. People also used to die in chimney started house fires all the time.

They should be able to point out physical defects and clear options for remediation. If the defects are out of physical reach then a liner may be the cheapest way to make it functional.

You can always get a second opinion.

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.

H110Hawk posted:

If you have cracks/defects in your masonry you have to fix it. One of those ways is a liner. People also used to die in chimney started house fires all the time.

They should be able to point out physical defects and clear options for remediation. If the defects are out of physical reach then a liner may be the cheapest way to make it functional.

You can always get a second opinion.

ok thanks. I'm coming up on one year of owning a house and I'm finding that there is a very small space between going "ahhhh it'll be fine" and having a huge problem down the line, or just getting ripped off when it comes to stuff I can't DIY.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

WILDTURKEY101 posted:

ok thanks. I'm coming up on one year of owning a house and I'm finding that there is a very small space between going "ahhhh it'll be fine" and having a huge problem down the line, or just getting ripped off when it comes to stuff I can't DIY.

There are certainly dishonest trades people around but anyone recommending something should be able to talk about it in a way that doesn't make you feel pressured, dumb, or dismissed. It's also important to treat them that way as well, you can always say thank you for the written bid you need to think it over.

Sign up for facedoor and ask a local group for suggestions on trades. You will quickly find out who are the go to people in your area. You can follow up with what specifically they had done and why they liked them. To use a bfc example - I have complicated taxes. Asking for a tax person results in a LOT of people suggesting themselves (no), or who have taxes no more complicated than a 1040-ez (when that was a thing) and are victims of turbotax's fraud upon america. Those suggestions are worthless to me. For you? Find someone whose chimney person said no liner needed. Hopefully that's a good starting point for people who aren't just pushing liners.

Tezer
Jul 9, 2001

A lot of chimney service businesses have cameras now so they can show you exactly what is wrong with your chimney. For example, I have two chimneys, one is in great shape and the other the original clay liner wasn't installed correctly back in the 1950s (I'm guessing previous owners knew this, the liner was completely clean like it had never been used). They snapped some photos and showed me the difference between a good looking original liner and my liner.

You don't need to lead with 'I want a functional chimney'. You can just ask for a safety inspection, which avoids indicating that there is an upsell opportunity. Just say 'I want to know if I can use this chimney safely, otherwise I just won't be using it.' They likely do these kinds of inspections/services all the time.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]
It may depend on your local regs too. I live in Maryland and when we had a chimney company out to check our fireplace (house built in the 40's) they said they'd have to put in a liner if they did anything as it was a code requirement now. We also had to have a PVC liner in our other chimney/vent put in when we got a new furnace about 8 years ago.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005
There's a ton of places where hvac ducting has been run over big runs of electrical wire in my basement. So when we go to rewire in the next few years I assume that will be "neat"

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out

Danhenge posted:

There's a ton of places where hvac ducting has been run over big runs of electrical wire in my basement. So when we go to rewire in the next few years I assume that will be "neat"

Is uhhh that not kosher? :ninja:

(cries in rats nest of wiring that was hidden in the drop ceiling that wasn't checked during inspection)

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
Exterior painting question.

I've got cedar vertical channel rustic siding. It overlaps each plank similar to tongue and groove but with a channel between the planks for aesthetics.

Wood is in good shape. I'm prepping for paint and in the scrape/sand/caulk phase. Should I caulk every seam? That would be ~180 feet around the house of 10' high siding (14 peak at the ends), 2 seams per foot running vertically.

It seems excessive but if it's the right thing to do, I'll do it. Currently it doesn't appear caulked, but the paint looks to have filled most of the gaps. The seams are vertical and we don't really get driving rain here in Seattle. My eaves hang over about 5-6' so the siding stays pretty dry when it's raining.

Part of me really wants to just wash and paint but I can't let myself shortcut. I know prep will make it last longer and look better.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Danhenge posted:

I mean if you're re-wiring what's the problem? Cut it off and use it as fish tape in the walls where you need to, abandon whatever you can't reach.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Verman posted:

Exterior painting question.

I've got cedar vertical channel rustic siding. It overlaps each plank similar to tongue and groove but with a channel between the planks for aesthetics.

Are you sure? No offense, but that looks a whole lot like a modified version of T1-11. including in your closeup. In which case you only have an actual gap every 4 feet because those are just 4x sheets of fancy plywood. And your closeup wasn't one of those edges if this is the case.

The soffit stuff absolutely looks like real actual wood and is beautiful. But that siding....I don't think it's that.

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

H110Hawk posted:

I mean if you're re-wiring what's the problem? Cut it off and use it as fish tape in the walls where you need to, abandon whatever you can't reach.

There are a few dozen spots where the current runs seem to come out through the floor/wall above the ducting, but I suppose it might not be as irritating as I fear.

The real kicker is truly the crawl spaces with some questionable asbestos pipe wrap where the old wiring runs are without simple overhead access.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Danhenge posted:

There are a few dozen spots where the current runs seem to come out through the floor/wall above the ducting, but I suppose it might not be as irritating as I fear.

The real kicker is truly the crawl spaces with some questionable asbestos pipe wrap where the old wiring runs are without simple overhead access.

Yeah that sounds sketch. Good luck.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005

Motronic posted:

Are you sure? No offense, but that looks a whole lot like a modified version of T1-11. including in your closeup. In which case you only have an actual gap every 4 feet because those are just 4x sheets of fancy plywood. And your closeup wasn't one of those edges if this is the case.

The soffit stuff absolutely looks like real actual wood and is beautiful. But that siding....I don't think it's that.

100%. The siding is definitely channel rustic boards and not paneling. This spot is above the garage door where you can see the individual boards.

This photo is from a wood vendor but what's on the house. I've got a few scrap pieces floating around somewhere and they look identical.

House was built in '55 and while it was likely a mid/budget house for the time, it still used a lot of real materials from the northwest. Lots of clear cedar and Douglas fir. It's a post and beam roof with exposed beams (6"x9") and (3x6") t&g car decking for the ceiling/roof and soffit/eaves. I can't even fathom what it would cost to build just in materials today.

Seeing the "ye olde English village" outdoor light makes me hate it the more I see it. My wife and I are trying to bring the house back to it's original mid century styling with more appropriate finishes.

Verman fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Jul 23, 2022

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Verman posted:

100%. The siding is definitely channel rustic boards and not paneling. This spot is above the garage door where you can see the individual boards.

This photo is from a wood vendor but what's on the house. I've got a few scrap pieces floating around somewhere and they look identical.

House was built in '55 and while it was likely a mid/budget house for the time, it still used a lot of real materials from the northwest. Lots of clear cedar and Douglas fir. It's a post and beam roof with exposed beams (6"x9") and (3x6") t&g car decking for the ceiling/roof and soffit/eaves. I can't even fathom what it would cost to build just in materials today.

Seeing the "ye olde English village" outdoor light makes me hate it the more I see it. My wife and I are trying to bring the house back to it's original mid century styling with more appropriate finishes.

Is there building envelope under that paneling? If so it should be caulked/taped already if your codes are like Canada, and if not I dunno... surely they wouldn't have caulked that originally right?

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

PO fuckery

CancerCakes posted:

Interlude 1 - why is it raining inside?

It has been hot as Balls in the UK recently, but that has now broken, now it is raining again and all is at it should be. Except there is a lot of water on the inside of this window.

Coming down from the top

Water shouldn't be above this window, the problem is either water running down the cavity or the outside wall and then meeting the window and then finding the path of least resistance, which happens to be into my room.

Ah I see the problem

PO put in the water butt, and the diverter is blocked

This hopper should not be full of water. After releasing the pipe and a couple of hundred litres of fetid water splashing everywhere we have an exposed diverter

Prevention is important, this strainer should stop crud reaching the diverter from the hopper

That should be it, reassemble. However, PO HAS A SECRET

Absolute c unit put a screw through the join to hold the pipe up.

Which blocked the pipe.

That is filed under future me problem and ignored, I have other problems

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
It's hard to say because we've only been in the house a year and have never busted open an exterior wall but my guess is tar paper. The reason I say this is the garage (which I think was added a few years later) is unfinished and I can see the marriage between the two.

The exterior wall of the house that is shared with the garage has 1x7" horizontal shiplap on the garage side and is covered with super thick tar paper. I think this was the house's original exterior wall before the garage was added.

The exterior walls of the garage go (from inside to outside) standard 2x4 studs, 1x7 shiplap, tar paper, and the vertical cedar channel siding. I can tell the paper is there because there's a knot in the shiplap that you can see the paper on the other side. I think the shiplap was the original sheathing vs homes now sheathed with OSB stand board.

My guess is the rest of the house is the same way. From my Google fu, tar paper was a common moisture barrier for the time 1955.

Coming from someone who only ever saw 1980/90s houses built with cardboard and vinyl, the overbuilt nature of a 50s home is shocking. Every trade pro we've had in the house has complemented the construction and materials. The last painter kept complementing the post and beam and how he appreciated the choices of mid century styling to highlight the building materials vs hiding them under drywall.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

I LITERALLY SLEEP IN A RACING CAR. DO YOU?
p.s. ask me about my subscription mattress
Ultra Carp
If you don't have moisture intrusion problems then the eaves and tar paper are handling it fine. No need to caulk prior to painting IMO

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Verman posted:

It's hard to say because we've only been in the house a year and have never busted open an exterior wall but my guess is tar paper. The reason I say this is the garage (which I think was added a few years later) is unfinished and I can see the marriage between the two.

The exterior wall of the house that is shared with the garage has 1x7" horizontal shiplap on the garage side and is covered with super thick tar paper. I think this was the house's original exterior wall before the garage was added.

The exterior walls of the garage go (from inside to outside) standard 2x4 studs, 1x7 shiplap, tar paper, and the vertical cedar channel siding. I can tell the paper is there because there's a knot in the shiplap that you can see the paper on the other side. I think the shiplap was the original sheathing vs homes now sheathed with OSB stand board.

My guess is the rest of the house is the same way. From my Google fu, tar paper was a common moisture barrier for the time 1955.

Coming from someone who only ever saw 1980/90s houses built with cardboard and vinyl, the overbuilt nature of a 50s home is shocking. Every trade pro we've had in the house has complemented the construction and materials. The last painter kept complementing the post and beam and how he appreciated the choices of mid century styling to highlight the building materials vs hiding them under drywall.

I appreciate the response. I have no experience with stuff of that era (I worked in modern construction with tyvek etc) so I have no recommendations to make. I have to say my knee jerk reaction is that trying to seal something that wasn't designed for it is going to be a bad idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
I've never ever heard of anyone caulking seams on wooden house paneling, it honestly sounds utterly bizarre to me. Seems to me caulking like that would make it more likely to trap moisture behind it.