Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome
well, a union job that you support yourself on anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

rotor posted:

no, its automating away what used to be a good union job.

thats fine if it lets me check out faster

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
automate away all labor, please

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

It isn't automating anything it's just making me do my own labor and I hate that

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Light Gun Man posted:

automate away all labor, please

UBI first

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Shaggar posted:

thats fine if it lets me check out faster

the last time i went to the grocery store they had zero checkers and thirty people in line for six self-checkouts, which i waited in a line stretching to the back of the store for 45 minutes

real nice to sit there and watch $200 of groceries melt for an hour

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

rotor posted:

no, its automating away what used to be a good union job.

i actually have a new favorite store (not a safeway) close to my gf's that has no self-checks and it's dark and cool and breezy towards the checkouts and the checkers seem chill and beardy/granola relaxed

if i go in a place where i don't feel like i could do the job under the flourescents 40hrs/wk i shouldn't shop there

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

i actually have a new favorite store (not a safeway) close to my gf's that has no self-checks and it's dark and cool and breezy towards the checkouts and the checkers seem chill and beardy/granola relaxed

thats fantastic.

I worked at a supermarket for a while. As lovely jobs go, it wasn't the worst i had.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

yeah my local grocery store is union and has no self checkout. it's neat.

mcdonald's here actually improved significantly after they added the kiosks because they didn't actually fire anyone, they just have more people in the back so you get your food faster. also now they pay like sixteen bucks an hour starting wage and they relaxed their dress code and poo poo so the atmosphere behind the counter is way more upbeat than it used to be

I don't mind self checkout and ordering kiosks as long as they aren't firing people, but that doesn't really happen quite as hard here because we have labour laws

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Jonny 290 posted:

the last time i went to the grocery store they had zero checkers and thirty people in line for six self-checkouts, which i waited in a line stretching to the back of the store for 45 minutes

real nice to sit there and watch $200 of groceries melt for an hour

last time i went there were 4 or 5 open self check outs. normally i just do the grocery pickup tho

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

i was quietly self-checking out recently and the kid who was assigned to mod the area started talking to me about how they got the photos for the stranger things cast all wrong on the cover of people magazine or whatever. at first i didn't even realize he was talking to me specifically. i kinda tried to engage him with my limited knowledge of season 1. at least checkers have something to do all day

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

i use cash

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Dont use self check out. Make them employ actual humans.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
grocery pickup is the worst of both worlds. you spend a bunch of money to make somebody pick out avocados for you (they will pick the worst ones) but you still gotta use gas and time and drive to the store

i will do grocery delivery until the day i die i think

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Jonny 290 posted:

grocery pickup is the worst of both worlds. you spend a bunch of money to make somebody pick out avocados for you (they will pick the worst ones) but you still gotta use gas and time and drive to the store

i will do grocery delivery until the day i die i think

is it in your worldview that a person doing a poo poo job like this will pass poo poo down?

just curious

when i've done it i respected the customer but not the company, ymmv

BaldDwarfOnPCP fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jul 21, 2022

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
the pickers at my store pick the good stuff because its all in store employees picking things over the course of a day and not some instacart person scrambling to fill orders. they also have separate ripe and unripe options for avocados so you can get a few ripe ones to eat immediately and others to eat later.

sometimes i do the delivery instead which is the same in store pickers but then they hand the bags to a 3rd party delivery service.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i dont understand what "pass poo poo down" means here

tax

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

rotor posted:

Dont use self check out. Make them employ actual humans.
free the humans from a boring job with a UBI so they can pursue whatever actually interests them

i wish

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

KoRMaK posted:

free the humans from a boring job with a UBI so they can pursue whatever actually interests them

i wish

i mean yes this would be ideal but, uh,

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Jonny 290 posted:

i dont understand what "pass poo poo down" means here

just a general sense of i hate my job conditions so i *do passive/aggressive thing* to an anonymous person

mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

is it in your worldview that a person doing a poo poo job like this will pass poo poo down?

just curious

when i've done it i respected the customer but not the company, ymmv

I fully expect all this poo poo to get quantified and gamified and pretty soon pickers will be getting docked pay because they’re not leaving enough attractive produce in the store and that might hurt Brand

it’s not that individuals will gently caress you over, it’s that the system will

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

just a general sense of i hate my job conditions so i *do passive/aggressive thing* to an anonymous person

No i don't think it's malice, i think they're so overworked and underpaid and cannot afford to pick out the nice avocados that are ripe and ready. i just buy them 3-5 days before im gonna eat em.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

rotor posted:

thats fantastic.

I worked at a supermarket for a while. As lovely jobs go, it wasn't the worst i had.

Around 2001 I got fired from a supermarket for trademark infringement. Coincidentally I was also responsible for a multinational supermarket chain writing it's first social media policy.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Jonny 290 posted:

No i don't think it's malice, i think they're so overworked and underpaid and cannot afford to pick out the nice avocados that are ripe and ready. i just buy them 3-5 days before im gonna eat em.

oh for sure and you can't and shouldn't expect people to do that for you

it's one thing to grab a tube of toothpaste and another to pick a fruit

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

It was a lot harder to post compromising work pictures online when you had to host and FTP the drat things.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

Around 2001 I got fired from a supermarket for trademark infringement. Coincidentally I was also responsible for a multinational supermarket chain writing it's first social media policy.

i got fired for stealing smokes

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

KoRMaK posted:

i wish

mitch mcconnell thinks we're still living high on the hog from the first go-around of alms for americans

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

rotor posted:

gently caress self checkout

Buddy, they won't even let me gently caress it

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

Another Bill posted:

Buddy, they won't even let me gently caress it

Yeah sometimes really small items don't register and you need a staff member to help.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Buck Turgidson posted:

Yeah sometimes really small items don't register and you need a staff member to help.

small item big oof

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

BaldDwarfOnPCP posted:

small item big oof

that's what she said!!!

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

rotor posted:

UBI first

yeah that too

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

ardiem
Apr 26, 2022

ios16's "drag subjects off a photo" thing works surprisingly well

https://i.imgur.com/FUgZXq2.mp4

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Should never smoke that poo poo
now I'm hiding from the shooter in the endless void

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

Oh my god it got better. By that I mean I was havin' a real lovely day until I saw this but then it got better, thank you. :unsmith:

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

Someone told me to put a sexy frog in it.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
the only time you should use a self checkout is when you bring a ps5 to it and punch it in as some bananas

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Wild EEPROM posted:

the only time you should use a self checkout is when you bring a ps5 to it and punch it in as some bananas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lake of Methane
Oct 29, 2011

self checkout is a computer they want you to touch