Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mystes
May 31, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

how does Qt not count?
QT has a decent rich text editor but I think you're pretty much stuck with what it offers you and I don't think it supports what chaosbreather is talking about. With something like prosemirror you can, for example, allow bold and italic but not underlining and also have custom smilies or add your own custom grammar checking with squiggly underlines, or really anything. In most desktop gui frameworks a lot of this stuff would be impossible without forking the rich text editor control (assuming it is open source) or reimplementing it from scratch yourself which is not that practical.

As a result most programs other than a small number of word processors have typically avoided even dealing with WYSYWIG rich text but I don't think that's because it's not useful, but simply because it has been too hard to actually work with before.

mystes fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jul 21, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
I have yet to see wysiwyg rich text editor that doesn't eventually end up being hell of "okay, which mode I haven't ended up yet, ffs I want to slightly edit this block and it won't let me, aaaaa, it's simpler to just delete all and start over".

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Sagacity posted:

yes, that makes sense. the 7 GUI challenges page is also a pretty good one. some libraries are actually trying to implement the challenges to prove they're usable in the real world.

how many of them are taking the hq9+ approach

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Xarn posted:

I have yet to see wysiwyg rich text editor that doesn't eventually end up being hell of "okay, which mode I haven't ended up yet, ffs I want to slightly edit this block and it won't let me, aaaaa, it's simpler to just delete all and start over".

WhatsApp's chat has the best approach for that IMO: you still see the delimiting characters, but they're faded so they don't jump up at you. It's almost wysiwyg, but with the transparency of markup languages.

In a desktop editor you could have a toggle to turn it off and go full WYSIWYG in case you care about e.g. total message length or text alignment, or formatting sheets if you're doing traditional word processing jobs.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

NihilCredo posted:

WhatsApp's chat has the best approach for that IMO: you still see the delimiting characters, but they're faded so they don't jump up at you. It's almost wysiwyg, but with the transparency of markup languages.

In a desktop editor you could have a toggle to turn it off and go full WYSIWYG in case you care about e.g. total message length or text alignment, or formatting sheets if you're doing traditional word processing jobs.

The discord editor is similar, you see the control characters but they also apply the effect to the text. It's so much better than the alternatives (looking at you Notion)

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

distortion park posted:

The discord editor is similar, you see the control characters but they also apply the effect to the text. It's so much better than the alternatives (looking at you Notion)

give me markdown tables or give me death

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Yeah, Discord does this well.

Teams, Slack, Notion, probably others, do not.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
it's such a clear, unequivocally better way to do things that my initial thought was that there must be a patent on that style of input

but on further reflection, the chat apps that are openly contemptuous of their users are the ones not doing that, so

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Xarn posted:

Yeah, Discord does this well.

Teams, Slack, Notion, probably others, do not.

Slack has markdown but Discord doesn't tho, at least not links anyway

in fact there is no way to make custom link text in Discord that I know of

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Every electron markdown app implements its own bespoke subset. Slack and discord are identical in that way.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

I'm just upset about the discord links okay, sheesh

e:
this post made me realise this thread is pedantry personified - so is programming in general - what am I doing with my life

I don't know what it says about myself that it took me so long to notice

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Jul 22, 2022

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

gonadic io posted:

give me markdown tables or give me death

so html tables? :smug:

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Markdown is an ad-hoc and incomplete reimplementation of a poorly defined subset of html, it's true

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.
Just use adoc. :colbert:

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Private Speech posted:

Slack has markdown but Discord doesn't tho, at least not links anyway

in fact there is no way to make custom link text in Discord that I know of

I can't imagine why a chat program would want to avoid letting people falsely represent URLs

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

adoc is objectively superior

markdown is trash~~

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
asciidoc is good because it can be version controlled

wysiwyg editors loving suck

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
fuckin python dependency conflict bullshit wont let me deploy to prod gently caress

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

a deploy *and* dependency change on friday. bold strategy cotton.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

nudgenudgetilt posted:

a deploy *and* dependency change on friday. bold strategy cotton.

git push -f

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

gonadic io posted:

Every electron markdown app implements its own bespoke subset. Slack and discord are identical in that way.

One of the core features of the markdown spec is that it has no official implementation.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

git push -frrriday night motherfuckers!

animist
Aug 28, 2018

CarForumPoster posted:

fuckin python dependency conflict bullshit wont let me deploy to prod gently caress

contemplating if this behavior is a cry for help

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

new thread title

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!

lmao

read this in charlie kelly's voice

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
shouting "wildcard bitches" and jumping out the back of the van is what I do when my coworkers inquire about my 4:30 push to production

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
friday night

Only registered members can see post attachments!

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
look its a simple hotfix just ssh'd in and git pull then restart the server, max downtime 30 second nbd

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
WYM json.dumps no serialize Decimal type whats the fuckin point

just make it a string you BITCH

EDIT: i just wanna store my json string in the db ugh

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡
*takes a sip from flask* heh get it

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

aerospike will auto serialize all your poo poo for you, including just pickling whatever you send at it that doesnt map to a native type. time to switch imo

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

Private Speech posted:

I'm just upset about the discord links okay, sheesh

e:
this post made me realise this thread is pedantry personified - so is programming in general - what am I doing with my life

I don't know what it says about myself that it took me so long to notice

actually it’s an abstract representation of pedantry as programming in general itself is not a person

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

12 rats tied together posted:

aerospike will auto serialize all your poo poo for you, including just pickling whatever you send at it that doesnt map to a native type. time to switch imo

drake nah SQL

drake ya SQL

MySQL 5.6 for life

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
it's either postgresql or you can go gently caress yourself, imo

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
snowflake and bigquery also pretty good, but in different ways

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

MrQueasy posted:

One of the core features of the markdown spec is that it has no official implementation.

sure it does, it's that perl script john gruber pieced together a couple decades ago

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

pokeyman posted:

sure it does, it's that perl script john gruber pieced together a couple decades ago

Example != Canonical

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

gonadic io posted:

new thread title