Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I woke up today with a billion dollar idea bizarrely fully formed in my head. It's probably obvious enough that it will happen once sports gambling becomes even more integrated and acceptable.

The idea is that the league would partner with a betting service and offer free HD streams of any game you make a bet in. Let's say $10 moneyline minimum. The stream would then have an integrated display of the status of your bet while you watch. Probably some predatory "suggestions" for other bets and live parlays and poo poo.

I hope this never happens and I didn't just Lathe of Heaven this thing into reality but it feels like too lucrative an idea not to happen.

I feel like Bet365 started with this idea where they would stream random second division soccer games for free if you had an account: the idea being even if you don't pay to watch it ,having it on with all the in game options there would lead to bets. I can def see your version though becoming the norm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Calidus posted:

I wonder if Lakers would trade both picks for Conley + Bogdan\Beverley\Clarkson\Beasley ?

The Lakers have no one signed next season but Anthony Davis and won't be allowed to trade a pick again until potentially as late as 2024 if they trade the 2029 pick, and they would be going into that season with potentially zero assets and New Orleans owning their pick. So yeah this wouldn't be the best idea.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌

Vox Nihili posted:

The extra weight elsewhere is the issue though. If you're a big center with a strong upper body all that extra muscle weight in your shoulders and chest is extra stress on your delicate knees and ankles. You condition your legs to help deal with this but so does everyone else.

This is part of why guys like Cousins are always getting hurt and guys built like Shaq are extremely uncommon.

Agreed and I think core strength and leg strength is what most NBA athletes train judging on looking at the exercises they do in those behind the scenes clips NBA TV shows sometimes. I doubt Chet is going to turn into Boogie anytime soon.

Vox Nihili posted:

Body builders would get hurt constantly if they tried to play basketball.

Maybe. They're not the only athlete type that highly benefits from having stabilized joints. Obviously landing hard on your knees is going to hurt anyone which is why NBA players like Boogie go down constantly.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

most of the day has passed and I still think that proposed arena is incredibly loving dumb

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Bip Roberts posted:

Also does being skinny make you more injury prone, I see 7 footers like porzingis get hurt but also guys like Joel or AD also get hurt a lot. It seems the problem Is being tall as hell, not fat or skinny.

In Chet's favor, his dad got him training with a physical rehab guy during his growth spurts so that he could learn how to move his newly super lanky body without injuring himself.

Kibner fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jul 22, 2022

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Kibner posted:

In Chet's favor, his dad got him training with a physical rehab guy during his growth spurts so that he could learn how to move his newly super lanky body without injuring himself.

thats really fuckin' smart

Deadbeat Dad
Jun 3, 2005

the trad games jinho

IcePhoenix posted:

these are always a ton of fun so if I'm allowed to pre-sign please sign me up :)

BWV posted:

Very interested in doing (and winning :) ) this again. Every time youve organized it I had a great time. Hopefully we get some of our most illustrious GMs to return.

morestuff posted:

I soft retired after accidentally building my team around a rookie Kendall Marshall so I'm probably due for another try

Carlosologist posted:

I’m down for it again

DeimosRising posted:

i was just thinking how much i missed them, i'm very in

New thread is up if you're interested! If anybody here hasn't joined before, it's good fun for a few weeks. Read the thread and rules to see if it's your cup of tea, but it's been a tradition here for about ~10 years now so yeah! We'll see if we can get 30 goons.

No more promotion but just thought I'd say hello to some of the regulars here since I only pop in now and then.

Deadbeat Dad fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jul 22, 2022

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
I know personally I feel awkward promoting threads in other threads but if someone makes another NBA-related thread please promote it here, I don’t look at the list of threads

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I'm coming around that Brunson/Mitchell/Barrett/Randle is kind of a feisty, ok team. Not sure how many playoff series they win but they'd be alright.

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
the defensive rating is going to look like a weather report from Arizona in july

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Mitchell Robinson will keep them out of....I dunno, bottom 5 right?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Lockback posted:

Mitchell Robinson will keep them out of....I dunno, bottom 5 right?

You assume he can stay out of foul trouble long enough to make that kind of impact.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Patrick Eddie
Eddie Donovan
Donovan Mitchell
Mitchell Robinson

Is an almost 5 man name linking composed of Knicks players (assuming this trade happens).

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
People have a weird view of Mitch. 4 years now he still looks like a baby deer on ice and his defense is just average, sometimes bad. It's gotta be the blocks. What I love him for and the only thing he's really useful for on the team is easy putbacks.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

He grades out pretty good on defense, and in general his lineups are pretty good defensively. Burks and Fournier are alright perimeter defenders, but the Knicks were very nearly a top-10 defense. Mitchell being at least pretty good is a big reason why.

I don't think he's all-nba defense or anything but he's solidly starter-level defender, maybe even a bit more.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

mitch robsinson is incredibly good at oafishly injuring people with flagrant fouls.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
https://twitter.com/abovethebreak3/status/1550486041999675392

A good article/interview.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
https://twitter.com/bkravitz/status/1550514976825249793?s=21&t=00vLCSbIIFoakdmjQhPvcw

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
How could the Pacers have turned that down???

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I think we have to come to the fact that no one actually wants myles turner when even the Celtics turned down an expiring Gordan Hayward for him years ago

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
"this trade that was never real to begin with according to everyone who has Pacers sources is dead"

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

https://twitter.com/Timberwolves/status/1550224505276071936

Yeeesssssssss it's all coming together

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
If all it takes is an expiring contract and a lovely first the Hornets should definitely just give them Plumlee + Oubre + next year’s Denver pick and then pay Turner the money they were gonna give Miles

morestuff fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jul 22, 2022

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

big time assets

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Why is he making a face like he’s being made to wear a tacky sweater for a Christmas card photo

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

kingcobweb posted:

Why is he making a face like he’s being made to wear a tacky sweater for a Christmas card photo

They're making him wear Pat Bev's old jersey

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

LeBron gameplay in WB's f2p Smash Bros rip off.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDr3fyPsPYY
He seems to have two costumes, his Space Jam 2 uniform and a Cowboy outfit.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Spacebump posted:

LeBron gameplay in WB's f2p Smash Bros rip off.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDr3fyPsPYY
He seems to have two costumes, his Space Jam 2 uniform and a Cowboy outfit.

This owns lol

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Can't wait to watch Jerma body people with LeBron in multiversus lmao

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

It really is. A few of the many highlights of the article:

quote:

[...]

But Vinson can also take somewhat of a drill sergeant approach, tearing down shots before building them back up.

"We broke down my shot like I was just dropped onto the planet and learned how to play basketball for the first time," Pondexter said. "And we never, never, never skipped steps.

"We started right under the basket, and I'd use one hand. He correctly got my hand in place, little details like which finger was on which spot on the ball. I didn't get beyond 10 feet from the basket, and I didn't use my second hand, my guide hand, for the whole first month."

Vinson is using those same lessons on Daniels.

"His approach is that we start right at the basket," Daniels said. "Do the same thing, day in, day out. One-hand shooting, every time. We start close and slowly move out. It's very repetitive, but you get used to it.

"When I first got there, we were probably doing 500 shots just around the rim, five feet. We'd extend to the free throw line, one-handed. Total of maybe 700 shots per day."
[...]

Vinson believes that anyone can become a good shooter, as long as they possess certain traits. The first is a good work ethic. Next is a love of shooting. But the most important? Learning how to fail.

"[It requires] a lot of mental toughness, because these guys have had so much success," Vinson said. "Sometimes, when you struggle as you're rebuilding, you have to be OK with failure."

[...]

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Vox Nihili posted:

Body builders would get hurt constantly if they tried to play basketball.

Yea it would be a blood bath.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Vinson article is great

RCarr posted:

Yea it would be a blood bath.

They'd pop like balloons. So much blood. The arenas would be 3 feet deep in red red blood

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Who is currently the most overrated active player?

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Spacebump posted:

Here, or in the general public?

Public: Donovan Mitchell

Here: Jimmy Butler

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Spacebump posted:

Probably Klay. He's a max contract 3 and D guy who has lost a lot of shooting efficiency and no longer plays great D. Curry is a better defender than Klay now. Winning another ring obscured his decline.

But I'm not sure Klay is fully back from his injuries, and there is a chance that he might be recover more and be quicker and more reliable next year (although he is also getting older).

predicto fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jul 23, 2022

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

predicto posted:

Probably Klay. He's a max contract 3 and D guy who has lost a lot of shooting efficiency and no longer plays great D. Curry is a better defender than Klay now. Winning another ring obscured his decline.

But I'm not sure Klay is fully back from his injuries, and there is a chance that he might be recover more and be quicker and more reliable next.

Borrowing this line: MPJ. Family has catastrophic injury history and believes in woo woo medicine. People just pencil him into a big 3 when there's a ton of reasons to doubt it

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

predicto posted:

But I'm not sure Klay is fully back from his injuries, and there is a chance that he might be recover more and be quicker and more reliable next.

I'm bullish on Klay next year, I expect him to be at a minimum at the level he was this season.

(People do hype up his current play too much though)

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

https://twitter.com/KDTrey5/status/1550569228268290048?t=RKyJz0BJbk2bUdF6ERU-RQ&s=19

:allears:

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
Honestly I can’t imagine being that rich and wasting my time arguing with people on twitter. Fart huffer is still lame

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

everyone was really mean to kd for being corny early on in his career, and he has never, ever, ever gotten over it