Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002

:lol::lol:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

My soul is restored. Thank you.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Yessssss.

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

Nipponophile posted:

I was scrolling way back through my imgur account and came across these. I figured I'd repost them here since it's been several years and they're bound to be new to someone. All pictures are from other TV shows Arino has been on as part of his comedy duo Yoiko.

I suddenly remembered when he broke a bone running during a filming.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Video media sales in Japan are pretty wild in a lot of ways.

Japan actually does have separate rental and retail copies of films and this is something that's enforced, a rental store can't just buy an off-the-shelf home DVD and offer it for rental like they do in the west. And much like back in the VHS days these releases have variation in release date, cost, and contents (e.g. a rental copy will probably be bare bones and only have the movie/episodes whereas the home version will have the bonus content as well).

I think due to a variety of cultural differences, people generally don't buy films for home consumption, they either watch it off TV broadcasts or rent.

This is probably different now, but when I lived in Japan from 2005-2008 rental stores were incredibly well stocked and very cost-effective, with some rental establishments being gigantic multi-floor buildings that were the size of a Best Buy. At the time, 24 was all the rage and they had walls fully stocked with 2-episode discs you could rent. You could also buy the seasons outright as a gigantic brick (it was 12 or 13 standard DVD cases), with the SRP being in the neighborhood of $250 (if memory serves the price tag for one season was 24,800 yen).

A lot of niche releases to this day in Japan are DVD-only so they only have to put out and market a single SKU release with maximum compatibility. Remember VHS hung on for a surprisingly long time, there were a few official VHS releases at the time I lived there (e.g. the Ghibli film Ponyo had an official VHS), and at the time there were some shops still had new audio cassette albums for sale too.

Relatedly there are very few 4K Ultra HD releases of films in Japan. Or, more to the point, almost every 4K Ultra HD disc in Japan is just for the same films as they are in the west. Actual Japanese films almost never have 4K UHD Blu-ray discs, I imported some newly-released films a few months ago and they were only available on DVD and standard Blu-ray. In fact I think pretty much exclusively Anime content has been released in Japan as far as Japanese-made media is concerned, I found a single 1972 Japanese film available on 4K Ultra HD Blu-ray and that's it.

univbee fucked around with this message at 13:52 on May 2, 2022

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I remember seeing a picture of Kacho in a pretty nice looking car with red leather interior some months back, and have since then been curious as to what he drives (if it was even his car.) Turns out it was his car! A Maserati -- Kacho's got that DVD money!

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
Car nerd who is also a huge GCCX fan, that looks like Maserati GranTurismo. The red leather interior is an awesome choice, but I find it really odd that he is rocking an LHD version. They make RHD versions but maybe it is cheaper to import an LHD version and just live with it?

Keito
Jul 21, 2005

WHAT DO I CHOOSE ?

Lifespan posted:

Car nerd who is also a huge GCCX fan, that looks like Maserati GranTurismo. The red leather interior is an awesome choice, but I find it really odd that he is rocking an LHD version. They make RHD versions but maybe it is cheaper to import an LHD version and just live with it?

My impression is that it's "cooler" to own an LHD car to really drive home the point that it's not a domestic manufacture.

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
I know this has been discussed before, but does Watanabe actually get upset by the fat jokes Arino makes? And how brutal are they?

HoneyBoy
Oct 12, 2012

get murked son
He called her Kirby.

Lifespan
Mar 5, 2002
He called her "black Kirby" for a long while and there was a running joke where he would always give her snacks on remotes. She always played along, but I can't imagine she was enamored with the whole thing.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

There is nothing taboo about mentioning someone's weight in Japan.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
She does play into it herself as well, but ultimately the show gives such a narrow and edited view of their (and everyone's) relationship and nature in general that speculating on what someone "really feels" to that level of depth seems pretty useless.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 08:33 on May 16, 2022

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Mister Chief posted:

There is nothing taboo about mentioning someone's weight in Japan.
That's not to say Watanabe doesn't go home and cry into her pillow after having her weight "mentioned" to her all day.

e: A different Watanabe, still relevant: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-56438842

Hirayuki fucked around with this message at 12:48 on May 16, 2022

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
Yeah to be clear, what is "taboo" is a different conversation. It can be socially acceptable to shame someone in a particular way, depending on where you live. That doesn't mean it doesn't upset that person.

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

Willo567 posted:

I know this has been discussed before, but does Watanabe actually get upset by the fat jokes Arino makes? And how brutal are they?

I live in Japan, have an annual physical check-up, and once had a lady doctor poke my stomach and say "Well, I can see one problem."
Fat people don't get any slack.

Anyway, post Arino looking smug.

cubeboy
Feb 20, 2014

FOUR!!!
For the 1995 SFC segment in the Red Alert episode, can anyone tell me the English name of the first game they show? It looks like an interesting multi-tap game.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

cubeboy posted:

For the 1995 SFC segment in the Red Alert episode, can anyone tell me the English name of the first game they show? It looks like an interesting multi-tap game.
Puzzle'n Desu

Synthetic Hermit
Apr 4, 2012

mega survoltage!!!
Grimey Drawer

Kakaricho posted:

I live in Japan, have an annual physical check-up, and once had a lady doctor poke my stomach and say "Well, I can see one problem."
Fat people don't get any slack.

Wanna make some extra scratch?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuiSAhpweLs

holefoods
Jan 10, 2022

univbee posted:

This is probably different now, but when I lived in Japan from 2005-2008 rental stores were incredibly well stocked and very cost-effective, with some rental establishments being gigantic multi-floor buildings that were the size of a Best Buy. At the time, 24 was all the rage and they had walls fully stocked with 2-episode discs you could rent. You could also buy the seasons outright as a gigantic brick (it was 12 or 13 standard DVD cases), with the SRP being in the neighborhood of $250 (if memory serves the price tag for one season was 24,800 yen).

:eyepop: That's a hell of a lot of money just to find out there's a mole in CTU again

Kakaricho
Aug 2, 2013

"Over 100kg"

I've never felt so slim.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Why did no one post this?

Game Center CX 325 - THE Earth Defense Force [GooseCanyon]

https://nyaa.si/view/1541187

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Sometimes, you have to shake it thrice.

Mister Chief posted:

Why did no one post this?

Game Center CX 325 - THE Earth Defense Force [GooseCanyon]

https://nyaa.si/view/1541187

Thanks for sharing!

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Anyone have the magnet link?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

fenix down posted:

Anyone have the magnet link?

magnet:?xt=urn:btih:530fad43fc6a7a712a607bd7587bd92e9222951f&dn=Game%20Center%20CX%20325%20-%20THE%20Earth%20Defense%20Force%20%5BGooseCanyon%5D&tr=http%3A%2F%2Fnyaa.tracker.wf%3A7777%2Fannounce&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Fopen.stealth.si%3A80%2Fannounce&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.opentrackr.org%3A1337%2Fannounce&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Fexodus.desync.com%3A6969%2Fannounce&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.torrent.eu.org%3A451%2Fannounce

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
EDF! EDF!! :anttony::derp:

NyetscapeNavigator
Sep 22, 2003

Bug splattin time.

joem83
Oct 4, 2007

Sometimes, you have to shake it thrice.
There was another GCCX related upload to nyaa.si. It's not subtitled, but it still sounds like it'll have some enjoyable stuff for us non-Japanese speakers.

"Over a year in the making, this megapack includes high quality encodes of every unsubbed piece of GCCX media available on disc from home video releases, rental releases and limited edition bonus materials. These consist of DVD and blu-ray exclusives such as: bonus challenges, director’s cuts, extended editions, arcade trips, rental disc bonus videos, magazine bonus discs as well as a few HQ/HD copies of older challenges."

https://nyaa.si/view/1545698

Major Helper
Feb 18, 2013

Not necessarily
all that helpful
Thank you for the new episode, the ending seemed very Arino-esque :v:

Sludgesicle Man
Oct 31, 2013
Wish I could get a pair of those black Game Center glasses.

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
I'm not the only one who sees it, right?

You didn't think this silly plan through, did you Kacho?

Robocop 2 arcade game.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

A new group released a new sub recently:

https://nyaa.si/view/1554741
https://mega.nz/file/fZgGjTZK#4LtT_AF4IA0_VYUB-2rdUjT0S2xNVhiIFQPoQrFX868

#329, Super Monkey Ball

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Man, I really love the Bar Dream Matching segment and can't wait to see more of it.

Also now I want to go look up some GDQ vods of their Monkey Ball runs just to see these courses get wrecked.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

And here's the magnet:

magnet:?xt=urn:btih:d83bbfd9bd7921744495b00a71da90884da7575a&dn=Game%20Center%20CX%20%23329%20-%20Super%20Monkey%20Ball%20%5BEphemeralSpecter%5D.mkv&tr=http%3A%2F%2Fnyaa.tracker.wf%3A7777%2Fannounce&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Fopen.stealth.si%3A80%2Fannounce&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.opentrackr.org%3A1337%2Fannounce&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Fexodus.desync.com%3A6969%2Fannounce&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.torrent.eu.org%3A451%2Fannounce

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

FredMSloniker posted:

And here's the magnet:

magnet:?xt=urn:btih:d83bbfd9bd7921744495b00a71da90884da7575a&dn=Game%20Center%20CX%20%23329%20-%20Super%20Monkey%20Ball%20%5BEphemeralSpecter%5D.mkv&tr=http%3A%2F%2Fnyaa.tracker.wf%3A7777%2Fannounce&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Fopen.stealth.si%3A80%2Fannounce&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.opentrackr.org%3A1337%2Fannounce&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Fexodus.desync.com%3A6969%2Fannounce&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.torrent.eu.org%3A451%2Fannounce
thank you!

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Good episode!

Hector Delgado
Sep 23, 2007

Time for shore leave!!
The Monkey Ball episode was alot of fun, surprisingly tense at times. It actually had me yelling at the tv.

Major Helper
Feb 18, 2013

Not necessarily
all that helpful
Thank you for linking the new release! It's a fun game, wouldn't have minded a two-parter to finish all the stages :v:

manganese
Jul 23, 2022
A long shot, but...

I've seen a couple users in here talk about the GCCX Channel (GCCXCh) app back in the day. Does anyone have this content still? Not asking for files, just been looking for a definitive listing of the content and finding it hard.

Even if nobody's stockpiled the content, is there perhaps a Japanese fan site that lists this material that I'm unaware of, or any other resource online that documents it?

I am aware the "best" of the material made it to the Continue special magazine's bonus DVD.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vlaphor
Dec 18, 2005

Lipstick Apathy
Cute little GCCX related video here

https://www.reddit.com/r/gamecenter...web2x&context=3