Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
Is there any YouTube app that has SponsorBlock with it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

cage-free egghead posted:

Is there any YouTube app that has SponsorBlock with it?

Vinegar is what I use (safari extension) and it blasts all ads, gives you PIP etc.. it owns.

https://apps.apple.com/ca/app/vinegar-tube-cleaner/id1591303229

Dunno what SponsorBlock is but I never see ads!

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004

priznat posted:

Vinegar is what I use (safari extension) and it blasts all ads, gives you PIP etc.. it owns.

I'll have to give this a try, thanks!

Another goon elsewhere recommended uYou, which can be sideloaded without jailbreaking https://github.com/qnblackcat/uYouPlus

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

If you’re willing to get a bit dumber you can get a whole thing going with Plex and YouTube DLP that has Sponsorblock integration and strips out ads by default. Totally get if that’s beyond the scope you’re looking for though.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

priznat posted:

Vinegar has been playing up for me recently, any time I start a video it pops up a "Playback Settings" dialog where the OK button doesn't dismiss it, completely covering the video. Sure it blocks the ads, but also blocks the video..

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Froist posted:

Vinegar has been playing up for me recently, any time I start a video it pops up a "Playback Settings" dialog where the OK button doesn't dismiss it, completely covering the video. Sure it blocks the ads, but also blocks the video..

Strange, I have not seen that! Maybe ping the devs?

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006

Warbird posted:

If you’re willing to get a bit dumber you can get a whole thing going with Plex and YouTube DLP that has Sponsorblock integration and strips out ads by default.

Is this documented anywhere? I setup youtube dl on my NAS at one point but didn't find too many strong use cases for it. This sounds interesting but Plex plus Docker plus ytDLP sound harrowing.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

canyonero posted:

Is this documented anywhere? I setup youtube dl on my NAS at one point but didn't find too many strong use cases for it. This sounds interesting but Plex plus Docker plus ytDLP sound harrowing.

https://github.com/yt-dlp/yt-dlp#sponsorblock-options is what you probably want. The Docker setup is actually pretty easy for Plex and I rolled my own for ytdlp though you could get away without the container element. If you’re interested or have questions feel free to drop me a DM.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

cage-free egghead posted:

I'll have to give this a try, thanks!

Another goon elsewhere recommended uYou, which can be sideloaded without jailbreaking https://github.com/qnblackcat/uYouPlus

I also use Vinegar but to be honest, I just signed up for YouTube Premium via a VPN to India. It costs the equivalent of about a buck a month, which I’ll happily pay to never see an ad on any device with no hassles.

The process is stupidly easy. You have to provide an Indian postal address, but I literally just made up the most ridiculous thing I could think of and had zero issues. My credit card certainly isn’t registered there, but the fee is so low I guess they don’t even check?

For an extra buck I can add five people to my ‘family’ all on their own existing YouTube accounts.
Oh and that includes YouTube Music, although I’ve never used it.

There is one huge downside to this. I don’t get sick recommended playlists of local content like I do in my Brazilian Tidal account. I signed up for that one while living there briefly, and they don’t seem to mind that I’ve not been out there since Covid…

Neurophonic fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Jun 16, 2022

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

priznat posted:

it's a browser extension that auto skips garbage segments (intros, pls like & subscribe, buy our merch, etc) and sponsored ad segments in youtube videos. it owns, and i wish it existed for podcasts somehow.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Neurophonic posted:

I also use Vinegar but to be honest, I just signed up for YouTube Premium via a VPN to India. It costs the equivalent of about a buck a month, which I’ll happily pay to never see an ad on any device with no hassles.

The process is stupidly easy. You have to provide an Indian postal address, but I literally just made up the most ridiculous thing I could think of and had zero issues. My credit card certainly isn’t registered there, but the fee is so low I guess they don’t even check?

For an extra buck I can add five people to my ‘family’ all on their own existing YouTube accounts.
Oh and that includes YouTube Music, although I’ve never used it.

There is one huge downside to this. I don’t get sick recommended playlists of local content like I do in my Brazilian Tidal account. I signed up for that one while living there briefly, and they don’t seem to mind that I’ve not been out there since Covid…

Same but I used Argentina and a privacy.com virtual card

Warbird
May 23, 2012

I don't really need Premium for my current use case but it would be nice for when I can't use Plex or need to see something right there and then so I may give this a shot. Are there any other notable services where stuff like this works?

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Warbird posted:

I don't really need Premium for my current use case but it would be nice for when I can't use Plex or need to see something right there and then so I may give this a shot. Are there any other notable services where stuff like this works?

YouTube and Tidal are the only two I've come across where you just VPN into Argentina one time and get them cheap af

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

NFL GamePass used to work like that too, then you only needed to vpn/dns around blackouts if they affected you.

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum
Is there an equivalent to Pushbullet for iOS? I used it on Android to send files, links, etc to and from my Windows PC.

If I had a Mac this would be a non issue I think, with the syncing and airdrop, but at least for now I’m stuck on Windows. Been using the Pushbullet website on my phone for now but a native app alternative would be nicer.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Surprise T Rex posted:

Is there an equivalent to Pushbullet for iOS? I used it on Android to send files, links, etc to and from my Windows PC.

If I had a Mac this would be a non issue I think, with the syncing and airdrop, but at least for now I’m stuck on Windows. Been using the Pushbullet website on my phone for now but a native app alternative would be nicer.

lol, looking into this i learned that pushbullet unpublished their ios app. they said they didn't want to support apple login. Pushover Notifications seems to be a substitute. It's 5 bux per client, but it's a permanent license. 30 day free trial.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Any recommendations for a basic drawing/painting app?

I don't have any Apple experience but I purchased a senior family member an iPad 2021. They like to paint with acrylics so I'm going to get them an Apple Pencil 1 as well.

I'd love to get them a drawing/painting app that isn't overwhelming to non-techies. Any ideas?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Hughmoris posted:

Any recommendations for a basic drawing/painting app?

I don't have any Apple experience but I purchased a senior family member an iPad 2021. They like to paint with acrylics so I'm going to get them an Apple Pencil 1 as well.

I'd love to get them a drawing/painting app that isn't overwhelming to non-techies. Any ideas?

The usual rec is Procreate.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Arivia posted:

The usual rec is Procreate.

I'll check it out, thanks!

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum

Mr. Fix It posted:

lol, looking into this i learned that pushbullet unpublished their ios app. they said they didn't want to support apple login. Pushover Notifications seems to be a substitute. It's 5 bux per client, but it's a permanent license. 30 day free trial.

This seems like it only handles just the notification part of Pushbullet, ironically the bit I never used. I literally only used it as essentially a budget Airdrop to send links and files to other devices. Maybe I just have to make do with Chrome’s send to device option, plus something like Google Drive or Dropbox.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

Surprise T Rex posted:

This seems like it only handles just the notification part of Pushbullet, ironically the bit I never used. I literally only used it as essentially a budget Airdrop to send links and files to other devices. Maybe I just have to make do with Chrome’s send to device option, plus something like Google Drive or Dropbox.

if you're on the same network: https://snapdrop.net

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Think for Yourself, Question Authority.
We’re looking to do an “audio guest book” at our wedding. So far I’ve managed to get an old school phone able to act as a microphone plugged into an iOS device which works great. But does anyone know of an app we can use that basically has one button folks can press to start a recording and then press again to stop?

Ofc the built in voice memo app does this but I don’t want guests to be able to play back any of the recordings.

Hopeful an app like this exists but I couldn’t find anything from a basic search.

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/guestbook-go/id1450808655 is close but unclear if this app has an “audio only” mode and would prefer to not have to buy it to find out.

Thanks

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Have them call a saved number on the phone and leave a voicemail?

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Yeah that’s an option too

Violator
May 15, 2003

You might be able to do something like create a shortcut as an app and have it record audio. Then put that on the Home screen as the only app and then hide the other pages so it’s the only app.

You could also use voice memos and turn on the user guided accessibility option. That lets you draw boxes on the screen and then only those “safe” areas are tappable and everything else is restricted and you can’t exit the app. So you could restrict people going back and just have access to the play record button.

But these might be too esoteric if you want 80 year uncle Gordie to do it. Or you have some rear end in a top hat 12 year olds who would think it’s funny to screw it up.

Maybe you can find a photo booth app that does video? There has to be a ton of those and it might be more fun to see them as well even if it’s grainy.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Surprise T Rex posted:

ah, yeah. i just use signal's "Note to Self" channel to do that.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Violator posted:

You might be able to do something like create a shortcut as an app and have it record audio. Then put that on the Home screen as the only app and then hide the other pages so it’s the only app.

You could also use voice memos and turn on the user guided accessibility option. That lets you draw boxes on the screen and then only those “safe” areas are tappable and everything else is restricted and you can’t exit the app. So you could restrict people going back and just have access to the play record button.

But these might be too esoteric if you want 80 year uncle Gordie to do it. Or you have some rear end in a top hat 12 year olds who would think it’s funny to screw it up.

Maybe you can find a photo booth app that does video? There has to be a ton of those and it might be more fun to see them as well even if it’s grainy.

Agree with the video you part, we had a Polaroid and it is still fun looking at the photos and videos. We set up a public Dropbox and got tons of submissions.

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Video app might be the best option. Google voice/voicemail, safe boxes on the voice memo app all seems like a lot to break. Thanks

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Are there any good bare-bone expense tracking apps? Not Mint or you-need-a-whatever, just something to enter and classify my monthly house costs to keep track over time. I’ve been using Numbers for several years but it’s a bit of a pain to enter simple stuff on my iPhone, and the spreadsheet has gotten a bit cumbersome. Ideals would be no account needed, no extra data/personal info/ad hooks/tracking, works offline, can export csv when needed.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
I use Money Flow, I can't vouch that it's the best in the world or even the category, but it works for me. I think it ticks the boxes you mention. Simple, no bullshit, works as advertised.

Dicty Bojangles
Apr 14, 2001

Thank you POCKET CHOMP, I’ll give it a go.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013
What iPad apps do people like for reading comics? These are files I’ve downloaded from Humble Bundle purchases etc. So not Comixology.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Chunky is pretty good. I’ve also been enjoying Yomu for more general reading but it may support comic stuff as well.

DRINK ME
Jul 31, 2006
i cant fix avs like this because idk the bbcode - HTML IS BS MAN
Would depend what format those come in, I’ve used ComicFlow for .cbr :filez: and it’s pretty great.

I use Adobe Acrobat for handling and printing .pdf’s but I’m not sure how well it would work for reading comics.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

doingitwrong posted:

What iPad apps do people like for reading comics?

I feel like a shill for them at this point, but Panels. It's got a nice clean interface, and the dev is pretty responsive to bugs/feedback.

It's also the only one in active development. ComicFlow hasn't had an update in 6 years. Chunky in 2.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
I used to use Chunky, but since it's only iPad, I switched to Booklover (https://apps.apple.com/us/app/booklover-comic-ebook-reader/id949207089). It uses iCloud storage, and I can use it with my iPad and iPhone. Using the genres for titles for management, it's great for comics, PDFs, and magazines.

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006
https://apps.apple.com/au/app/icomics/id493845493

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Has anyone used the Pass2U app to create cards for Apple Wallet that otherwise aren't compatible with Wallet?

It seems to work well, though I don't like that it apparently has to upload the information to it's servers to create the card? On the one hand, that seems like a privacy no-no. On the other hand, do I really care that this company might have my Wegman's Price Saver card and my Shop Rite price plus card?

Is there any good alternative to this app that keeps that information more private? Otherwise I'll probably just use this one lol

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
I dunno if it handles US stuff specifically, but Stocard is good and has a watch app too?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011

OldSenileGuy posted:

Has anyone used the Pass2U app to create cards for Apple Wallet that otherwise aren't compatible with Wallet?

It seems to work well, though I don't like that it apparently has to upload the information to it's servers to create the card? On the one hand, that seems like a privacy no-no. On the other hand, do I really care that this company might have my Wegman's Price Saver card and my Shop Rite price plus card?

Is there any good alternative to this app that keeps that information more private? Otherwise I'll probably just use this one lol

I use pass4wallet, but I have no idea if it uploads the cards. I don't think it does though. It doesn't even know what cards you have created, it dumps them right into wallet.

Edit: Oh and the company that made it is an app development company, it's like an ad for the types of apps they can create. So money-wise it's a bit safer than for example Stocard which earns money from you (by showing you ads).