Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Finally, the confusion of middle school finding out my friend is a book called “oriental adventures”.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
4E isn't terrible. If you prefer that style of game to the FFG version it's perfectly playeable.

Especially compared to previous editions.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Someone is updating all the 5e files on DTRPG to a new version with the EDGE Studios logo, and the new files are about five times larger than the old ones, so the core has gone from 50MB to 250MB.

I'm never going to own an ereader that I can fit all my games on at this rate.

Spookyelectric
Jul 5, 2007

Who's there?
Well, it's now officially been 10 years since I started the L5R Halloween Fiction tradition.

By which I mean it's been ten years since I asked Shawn Carman, "Hey, is it okay if I write an L5R Horror Story for Halloween?" And he said yes to the untested brand-new story team member, and then I did it again every year, except for 2020 (when that honor went to Dave Laderoute).

I'm not sure if anyone here is even remotely interested in all that.

But if anyone is, I wrote another one for this year. A Moth Follows Her Light is an unofficial L5R Fan Fiction for Halloween. It's dreadful. I hope y'all enjoy it.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Whatever became of Shawn Carman?

Terratina
Jun 30, 2013

Spookyelectric posted:

It's dreadful. I hope y'all enjoy it.

It is indeed dreadful, I adore it. From the buildup to the little windows into the Moth Clan as you see them. Thanks!

Spookyelectric
Jul 5, 2007

Who's there?

Terratina posted:

It is indeed dreadful, I adore it. From the buildup to the little windows into the Moth Clan as you see them. Thanks!

Thank you for saying so! I really appreciate that.

We don't have a lot to go on for the Moth Clan, but I took what we already knew and kinda ran with it. Glad you enjoyed it!

Dawgstar posted:

Whatever became of Shawn Carman?

Shawn's still active in the gaming industry. He runs an indie RPG publisher, Kyodai Games, and publishes Thunderscape, an old video game franchise that he and his buds converted into a tabletop steam-fantasy setting (they've adapted it for Pathfinder, Savage Worlds, and Tiny D6). He also freelances and writes fiction.

Great guy. I'm hoping to have a beer with him at a convention when/if the world stops falling apart.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Spookyelectric posted:

Well, it's now officially been 10 years since I started the L5R Halloween Fiction tradition.

By which I mean it's been ten years since I asked Shawn Carman, "Hey, is it okay if I write an L5R Horror Story for Halloween?" And he said yes to the untested brand-new story team member, and then I did it again every year, except for 2020 (when that honor went to Dave Laderoute).

I'm not sure if anyone here is even remotely interested in all that.

But if anyone is, I wrote another one for this year. A Moth Follows Her Light is an unofficial L5R Fan Fiction for Halloween. It's dreadful. I hope y'all enjoy it.

This was real good! I have one criticism, which is that "lanky" is really out of place both times you use it, but apart from that it's an excellent spooky story. I don't know L5R well enough to critique the uh, accuracy? but it felt evocative of what I thought L5R was all about. Nicely done.

Spookyelectric
Jul 5, 2007

Who's there?
Sorry for the bump, but the news is out, and I got excited and wanted to post.

My Lion Clan novella "Deathseeker" is in the novella omnibus volume 2, along with a bunch of my Halloween short fictions. That comes out in Summer 2022:

https://aconytebooks.com/news/summer-2022-titles-announced/

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
bumping L5R content is never a bad thing, imo

thanks for posting!

Spookyelectric
Jul 5, 2007

Who's there?
For interested parties, I read a two-chapter preview of Deathseeker on The Last Province Podcast:

https://thelastprovince.com/episode-81-a-reading-from-deathseeker

Terratina
Jun 30, 2013
As part of the Court Games podcast L5R Game Jam I've submitted an adventure. Complete with a cover made at the last minute.

You can view it and other submissions here.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
When’s the flamethrower?

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Golden Bee posted:

When’s the flamethrower?

Phoenix Shugenja has entered the chat.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Every Samurai Drama is ultimately a tragedy.

I finally finished the L5R campaign I'd been running since May 2020.

It ended in the City of Lies, where the group fractured over falsely accusing a dead blood mage of the murder of the precious Emerald Magistrate, buckling to the political pressure to close the case and put the matter to rest.

The dragon investigator never forgave herself for letting justice slip through her fingers. She threw herself into her work and refused to marry. After her death in the line of duty, the Crab considered her an honorary member, due to the many times she slew demons over the course of the campaign.

The shrine guardian, tired of the lies and duplicity of the world, retired to a monastery, where he lived simply until his body was consumed by a bolt of lightning when he passed. Known for his fondness of the Mantis and his miraculous attunement to the spirits of the air, he was eventually named Fortune of the Ocean Wind.

The Unicorn outrider married her Scorpion love and had a happy family life. She was the least impacted by the lie, as it was originally her idea, but she still mourns her lost friends. She keeps tabs on them, but accepts that she is no longer welcome in their lives. She finally died when she felt old age withering her body beyond any useful task, and thus asked for a dangerous assignment so she could end her life as a warrior. She slew the feral beast that was terrorizing the countryside, but at the cost of her own life.

Good lives and good deaths. But they never again spoke about the terrible lie they told that let the guilty go free.

Terratina
Jun 30, 2013

Capfalcon posted:

Every Samurai Drama is ultimately a tragedy.

Nice writeup!

That phrase right there is something I deeply agree with - not saying that playing with folks who backflip with katanas is Bad Wrong Fun of course (tragedy can be exhausting).

To pitch in on game times, playing a Naishou game. My Matsu attended a play in the Dutiful Daughter as security only be yelled at by an Asahina Theatre Nerd backed up by two Kakita when she called to stop the play because the PC shugenja and monk sensed bad juju going in the theatre.

A large NPC Matsu backed my PC up after the actors did as they were told and did a One Roll Duel vs one of the Kakita while the others went down to investigate - didn't feel right to abandon a clansmate.

The Kakita took some fingers, my Matsu took his eye. But we did manage to stop an oni summoning and evac out a bunch of folks before putting the theatre to the torch, to burn up the remnants of the oni that managed to get through.

The Crane have big egg on their face and I'm hoping I'll be duelling one of theirs again if they accuse the Lion of tomfoolery in court. It would be a good death, especially when my Matsu's giri is to die during a duel in a matter which would give the Lion a reason to go to war in Naishou.

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

Love seeing the game writeups, bring on the samurai tragedy!

EverettLO
Jul 2, 2007
I'm a lurker no more

Only a few more weeks now. As disappointing as it is, I am a mark and will end up getting it.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I mean... I played the last D20 L5R, it can't be worse

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"
Dyed in the wool L5R first gen fanatic and original 5E D&D hater here. Have some to all of every other edition of L5R including Rokugan d20.

I will not get it.

Basically my decision doesn’t make a difference but the 5E D&Ding of every IP is a bad trend that is going to siphon money away from original RPG content in favour of 5E D&D tie ins.

If 95% of the market is 5E D&D, then every big publisher will pivot that way and other game lines will get increasingly attenuated support just because there is a better margin in a 5E product.

You’ll still get content, but there will be less art, less support, less tools available and the other games become harder to run with less releases. Then eventually glut and collapse again likely.

One product being an effective monopoly is always terrible for the consumer.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I remember the d20 glut years, and they weren't great folks!

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

HidaO-Win posted:

Dyed in the wool L5R first gen fanatic and original 5E D&D hater here. Have some to all of every other edition of L5R including Rokugan d20.

I will not get it.

Basically my decision doesn’t make a difference but the 5E D&Ding of every IP is a bad trend that is going to siphon money away from original RPG content in favour of 5E D&D tie ins.

If 95% of the market is 5E D&D, then every big publisher will pivot that way and other game lines will get increasingly attenuated support just because there is a better margin in a 5E product.

You’ll still get content, but there will be less art, less support, less tools available and the other games become harder to run with less releases. Then eventually glut and collapse again likely.

One product being an effective monopoly is always terrible for the consumer.

Yes but on the other hand, the current Lot5R system is garbage.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
I'm still mad that the original concept of D&D 5E--an improved and streamlined version of 4E--was abandoned in favor of an absolutely terribly written 3.x rehash, so I will not be paying any money for any D&D 5E knock-off. But I also recognize that learning a new system is a huge barrier for entry for any TTRPG and thus a d20 system is going to have a huge leg up. Also, let's be honest: the roll-and-keep system is weird for new players, and the system itself, especially opportunities, is pretty cumbersome and could use some paring down. That being said, I have zero faith that the d20 edition will actually accomplish that goal, and instead will likely be just as, or possible even more, cumbersome in exciting new ways. (See: high-level spellcaster players in D&D spending half an hour poring over their spell lists to decide which spell would be the perfect thing to cast in any given round.)

So yeah, this is almost guaranteed to be the just like the old lovely d20 version but with a new coat of paint. But it's d20 and samaurigaem, so I'm sure it'll move way more copies than the current edition did.

Edit: also the nomenclature is going to get super confusing because the current edition is L5R 5th Edition, but the upcoming edition is based on D&D 5th Edition, and I guarantee newcomers to the scene are going to understandably confuse the two.

Dick Burglar fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jul 24, 2022

HidaO-Win
Jun 5, 2013

"And I did it, because I was a man who had exhausted reason and thus turned to magicks"

Epi Lepi posted:

Yes but on the other hand, the current Lot5R system is garbage.

I’ve got 4e L5R and it’s perfectly fine.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
I don't have buy-in from my group for the setting unfortunately so I'm mostly just curious what stuff they do I can backport into our DND 5e games if/when we go back.

Terratina
Jun 30, 2013
4e is fine if you want a mechanically driven game.

5e is fine if you want a mechanically driven game.

Let's not compare apples to pears.

D&D saturation is real but gonna be honest, it's one hell of a niche product we're all into.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
D&D is pretty mainstream right now and there's been forty years of other systems being published that aren't D&D so I wouldn't be worried that L5R is never going to get a new system and it's all going to be D&D setting books from here on out.

Obviously these types of products always hope to create fans by introducing them to the settings with some light rules changes, then when the next edition of L5R or the next campaign, people will be interested enough to try it out.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I only played ffg l5r once and I thought it was pretty good.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
That's because it is, in fact, pretty good

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Blockhouse posted:

:hmmyes:

RudeCat
Aug 7, 2012

The rudest cat for the rudest jobs

Blockhouse posted:

Hell yeah it is

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
I don't like the exploding dice mechanic, when my group tried it out players who invested in a stat kept failing checks while those who didn't got lucky and exploded into success. We only did two sessions and it happened constantly, really turned us off.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

I mean, hasn't every version had dice explosions?

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

I like the base mechanics well enough, though I've only played two sessions. I might even like them a lot if I got to wrestle with them more. What I don't like and never will is how granular the combat stuff can get. My samurai epic drama does not need 10 distinct range bands and enemy size categories, not even in the event we storm the Shadowlands to fist-fight oni.

EverettLO
Jul 2, 2007
I'm a lurker no more

Capfalcon posted:

Not the d20 version! And probably not this new version!

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Isn’t advantage in dnd 5e just roll and keep when you think about it?

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

roll 2x d20, keep the highest is advantage, disadvantage is keep the lowest.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love

Capfalcon posted:

I've never played any of the other versions. The setting seems really cool and I wanted to like this edition because I like other FFG games but our experience wasn't great and half of my group are not as into samurai poo poo as the other half so it didn't click.

Terratina
Jun 30, 2013

That Old Tree posted:

I like the base mechanics well enough, though I've only played two sessions. I might even like them a lot if I got to wrestle with them more. What I don't like and never will is how granular the combat stuff can get. My samurai epic drama does not need 10 distinct range bands and enemy size categories, not even in the event we storm the Shadowlands to fist-fight oni.

Enemy silhouette sizes rarely change or come into things unless you're using techniques that actively reference them. Range bands I hate but they're usually not too much of a worry, just a metric of "can I hit this with sword?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Epi Lepi posted:

I don't like the exploding dice mechanic, when my group tried it out players who invested in a stat kept failing checks while those who didn't got lucky and exploded into success. We only did two sessions and it happened constantly, really turned us off.

If players invested in something are regularly failing checks you're setting difficulties too high, regardless of edition.