Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

one day i will be this cool

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

lol

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

What I use to hack into my desktop when Windows decides that I, the provable owner of the PC, can't edit something.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

i looked seriously at lg tvs this weekend and let me tell you, i'm ready for webos to be a part of my day again

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Agile Vector posted:

i looked seriously at lg tvs this weekend and let me tell you, i'm ready for webos to be a part of my day again

its way better than the other "smart tv" oses which is not saying much but best is best.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i have an lg and while i never touch the os because the thing just exists to show me the signal on hdmi 1, it's good to know it's there

Large Testicles
Jun 1, 2020

[ASK] ME ABOUT MY LOVE FOR 1'S
we somehow have a dumb 4K Visio and just do all our streaming through the cable box. we only have cable still so mom can watch her house flipping shows, Bravo garbage and the local news

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

infernal machines posted:

i have an lg and while i never touch the os because the thing just exists to show me the signal on hdmi 1, it's good to know it's there

same mostly but also the built-in media player is nice, i can just plug in an external usb drive and watch stuff. I dont have it hooked up to the internet for the obvious reasons.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

rotor posted:

same mostly but also the built-in media player is nice, i can just plug in an external usb drive and watch stuff. I dont have it hooked up to the internet for the obvious reasons.

webos can have little a internet, as a treat

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

lament.cfg posted:

webos can have little a internet, as a treat

naw LG did this thing where there was a security issue and maybe they fixed it idk im not about to keep track of that bullshit

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
samsung shows you ads inside the tv ui

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

rotor posted:

naw LG did this thing where there was a security issue and maybe they fixed it idk im not about to keep track of that bullshit

yeah, there's no reason for my tv to be connected to the internet, so it's not.

if it looks like they've done something useful with a firmware update i just install it via usb

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

bobbilljim posted:

can confirm. I swore I wouldn't buy another one because of that bullshit but they were so much cheaper and Dune looks so good.

have not yet got round to putting a pihole on the network to see if it stops them but iirc they might actually hard code the ad server IP addresses because they're pricks

e; samsung are maybe the only one that support every streaming service needed as well. Sony somehow managed to gently caress up their software and only support like 2 or 3. Also lol android.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

e; samsung are maybe the only one that support every streaming service needed as well. Sony somehow managed to gently caress up their software and only support like 2 or 3. Also lol android.

i just watch through the PS4 or PS5, it's the same remote control as the TV so aside from boot-up - and they're on stand-by anyway - it's seamless (also worked with my Sony VHS player)

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

can confirm. I swore I wouldn't buy another one because of that bullshit but they were so much cheaper and Dune looks so good.

have not yet got round to putting a pihole on the network to see if it stops them but iirc they might actually hard code the ad server IP addresses because they're pricks

no idea if this would work because my tv is not internet connected either but try adguard dns, op https://adguard-dns.io/en/public-dns.html

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Beeftweeter posted:

no idea if this would work because my tv is not internet connected either but try adguard dns, op https://adguard-dns.io/en/public-dns.html

this would probably save me a lot of effort assuming it's not actually an elaborate scam

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Same except BeOS

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

a medium-format picture of beeftweeter staring silently at the camera, a quizzical expression on his face

this would probably save me a lot of effort assuming it's not actually an elaborate scam

i've used it for years and it supports encrypted queries :shrug:

even if its a scam it works well enough that i don't really give a poo poo

e: scroll to the manual instructions, obvs don't bother with the app because that part is almost certainly scam-adjacent

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Jul 26, 2022

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

bobbilljim posted:

would throw out my tv instantly if it did that

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

its a small square that you only see when you switch inputs. on principle its pretty annoying but practically speaking it was definitely the better buy than the lg oled that would have definitely suffered burn in from me falling asleep with sekiro paused on it

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

now i'm really curious if adguard blocks it

if you can adjust dns on the tv itself someone give 94.140.14.14 or 94.140.15.15 (2a10:50c0::ad1:ff / 2a10:50c0::ad2:ff) a try, i get why someone would be skeptical using it on a full network

i would but my tv doesn't show ads anyway lol

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

My DNS is blocking the following domains from my TV alone:
code:
samsungnyc.com
samsungcloudsolution.com
samsungqbe.com
samsungads.com
samsungelectronics.com
e: pics tax

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/shirtsthtgohard/status/1550966736614133760?s=20&t=OTRMbsWPbjk7byno8l43wg

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Beeftweeter posted:

now i'm really curious if adguard blocks it

if you can adjust dns on the tv itself someone give 94.140.14.14 or 94.140.15.15 (2a10:50c0::ad1:ff / 2a10:50c0::ad2:ff) a try, i get why someone would be skeptical using it on a full network

i would but my tv doesn't show ads anyway lol

don't think you can change the TV DNS but I'll give it a go later.

It's not like this raspberry pi sitting on my desk is doing anything anymore since I got too lazy to use the Kodi install I had on jt

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

Video Nasty posted:

My DNS is blocking the following domains from my TV alone:
code:
samsungnyc.com
samsungcloudsolution.com
samsungqbe.com
samsungads.com
samsungelectronics.com

i had to write a goddamn script that launches at bootup to block all AAAA responses from every domain netflix uses because they block hurricane electric and for whatever loving reason verizon still refuses to provide native ipv6. the list got to like 50 domains before i just canceled netflix

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/shirtsthtgohard/status/1550966736614133760?s=20&t=OTRMbsWPbjk7byno8l43wg

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

don't think you can change the TV DNS but I'll give it a go later.

It's not like this raspberry pi sitting on my desk is doing anything anymore since I got too lazy to use the Kodi install I had on jt

having used it for years, they're really good about fixing broken poo poo really fast so it's honestly a better solution imo, if you want to trust them

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Beeftweeter posted:

having used it for years, they're really good about fixing broken poo poo really fast so it's honestly a better solution imo, if you want to trust them

trip report: TV DNS changed but no immediate effect, maybe it caches though.

will set up a pihole later because then I can actually see what it's trying to connect to. I swear I read that Samsung use some level of IP hard coding but I can probably block that too if I try hard enough.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
did we ever figure out if it's actually true that smart tvs will spontaneously jump on open wifi to phone home or is that an urban legend

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

trip report: TV DNS changed but no immediate effect, maybe it caches though.

will set up a pihole later because then I can actually see what it's trying to connect to. I swear I read that Samsung use some level of IP hard coding but I can probably block that too if I try hard enough.

hmm

considering the nature of the ad (most likely not frequently updated, embedded platform, etc.) i'd say it's probably cached

in which case it may never go away, unless you can like factory reset it or something

someone with a sarnsung tv can probably definitively answer this though

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

the concept of changing tv dns is so cursed

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

haveblue posted:

did we ever figure out if it's actually true that smart tvs will spontaneously jump on open wifi to phone home or is that an urban legend

urban legend, has never been any evidence of it

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

definitely not hard resetting my TV to clear the cache and gently caress with dns settings lomarf

gonna go rollerblade instead. outside

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

KoRMaK posted:

definitely not hard resetting my TV to clear the cache and gently caress with dns settings lomarf

gonna go rollerblade instead. outside

this is good advice.

except I moved to somewhere where I can no longer just skate straight from home in a 10 mile loop because the roads are too dangerous for it :negative: