Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pikehead
Dec 3, 2006

Looking for WMDs, PM if you have A+ grade stuff
Fun Shoe

Nessus posted:

Think of the passive income your burg is generating. :burger:

No, you can't just sell the NFT, you have to hodl it until .. well, forever?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
We're a solutions based cheese burger generating company. I don't want to hear anything about the physical limitations of matter and food and how you can't pull burgers out of thin air. Generate my burgers now, or else! This NFT says you have to!

Victory Lap
Feb 25, 2001

Pikehead posted:

No, you can't just sell the NFT, you have to hodl it until .. well, forever?

Uh, yeah, but MY burger is fuckin special pal its gonna be in NFT cartoons where Seth Green will pay me royalties to use the likeness of my burger

Cause its a loving special burger ok only 14% have mustard and only 3% have dill pickles this is an exclusive loving burger jpg

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
i know this is broken record territory but how does someone who can dress themselves and go potty believe that an NFT of a physical object has anything to do with the physical loving object? this is psychosis

or maybe delusion of transhumanist techno feudalism. they read all the dystopian novels and decided it was cool and good as long as they got to be the all powerful digital gods crushing all life and joy from the world

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

i know this is broken record territory but how does someone who can dress themselves and go potty believe that an NFT of a physical object has anything to do with the physical loving object? this is psychosis

or maybe delusion of transhumanist techno feudalism. they read all the dystopian novels and decided it was cool and good as long as they got to be the all powerful digital gods crushing all life and joy from the world

drugs, and lots of them

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

it's partially broke brain, and partially magical grift logic. If they can convince one idiot to pay up, it was worth all the ridicule, because grifters have ZERO shame. That's how they can be grifters and normal people cannot, the lack of give a poo poo about what sane people say about them and their scam.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

FlapYoJacks posted:

This insane lady bought a Diamond, made an NFT, and destroyed the Diamond to prove her point. The nft has no offers lmao.

https://opensea.io/assets/ethereum/0x2a9e4045185c8d778b85610ca96d79bd8ecdc720/1

I clicked on it and there's a link to a blog post where she recounts a conversation trying to convince her mom. Her mom points out nicely how stupid this is just as you'd expect, and NFT lady is like "well I didn't totally convince her but I think she is open to the idea"
https://taschalabs.com/nft-is-better-than-diamond-heres-why/

quote:

Mom: But what stops others from issuing more NFTs like those? Punks, dogs, cats, unicorns…you can have as many as you want. It all costs nothing.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
The lady sold the diamond tho, for 5.5 ETH. The creator of the diamond isn't the current owner, at least on paper. I guess that other account could also be her but I don't have any reason to think it is. but yes obviously whoever bought it is very stupid and probably paid like $15k at the time

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang
that conversation with her mom is so sad man. imagine that kind of totem worshiping insanity.

"I'll make up a certificate for something people physically want, and if i write the right words on it then magically the ghost of that item is transferred to the certificate if i destroy its physical body." This is like prehistoric style superstition. You don't get to decide what value is to other people based on your own imagined rules of metaphysical transference. This person has to be an expert troll or dying from untreated brain cancer.

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

it's the same thing as soylent: people who want to live in a cyberpunk dystopia

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
Speaking of selling, coinbase has another great day of wearing their “We’re not having liquidity problems or worried about this SEC investigation” t-shirt.

Cathie Wood's Ark Invest Offloads Over 1.4M Coinbase Shares as COIN Price Falls

quote:

The third largest investor in Coinbase Global, Ark Invest, has sold off over 1.41 million shares, which were valued at $75 million on Tuesday morning. Furthermore, Ark Investment’s trademark Ark Innovation ETF also disposed of over 1.13 million shares. This comes just a day after The SEC launched a probe on Coinbase Global, claiming that the crypto platform engaged in illegal security trades.

But just in case you feel bad for anyone holding a coinbase bag right now, let’s all remember Ark Invest has funds controlled by… a woman!

:argh:

quote:

ARKK just dumped Coinbase stock!

Wow. Huge loss for ARKK. They bought COIN at $300 and sold at $50!!

Cathie Wood should be sued back to the stone age.

:biotruths:

quote:

She’s woke and a woman, so the media adores her and puts her on a pedestal. 🤣

:smuggo:

quote:

Another feminist icon, eats poo poo 😂

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

famously woke christian fundamentalists

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

VitalSigns posted:

I clicked on it and there's a link to a blog post where she recounts a conversation trying to convince her mom. Her mom points out nicely how stupid this is just as you'd expect, and NFT lady is like "well I didn't totally convince her but I think she is open to the idea".

This is how cryptoidiots view all non-believers who haven't outright told them to gently caress off with their stupid bullshit.

BigBadSteve fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Jul 27, 2022

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Refried Noodle posted:

No joke blockchain has been useful for this. Part of my job is looking at public private partnership policy proposals and trying to figure out which are full of poo poo. References to blockchain are rare but save me a bunch of time and brainpower.

I would imagine for people who have it, it's blatant or equivalent to closeted racism. Where you're having a conversation about a business merger and randomly they should out a nonseqitur, unprompted: "I just don't think blacks deserve human rights!" and expects people to nod while everyone is :stonk: in horror. Except on this one it's "butts are the future/not your wallet not your money".

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

If megachurches wanted to wipe out all their tax free grift funds in the bitcoin market, I say let em.

gregday
May 23, 2003

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

that conversation with her mom is so sad man. imagine that kind of totem worshiping insanity.

"I'll make up a certificate for something people physically want, and if i write the right words on it then magically the ghost of that item is transferred to the certificate if i destroy its physical body." This is like prehistoric style superstition. You don't get to decide what value is to other people based on your own imagined rules of metaphysical transference. This person has to be an expert troll or dying from untreated brain cancer.

NFTs are crypto meets sovcits

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

gregday posted:

holy poo poo I've never read up on sov citizens but the beginnings of it were a doozy:

quote:

Potter formed a group of antigovernment Christian Identity adherents who mistrusted state and federal officials. They believed that non-white people were not human, and that Jews possessed a satanic plot to take over the world. They identified themselves as Posse Comitatus, which is Latin for “power of the county” and centers on the idea that county sheriffs are the highest governmental authority.
these people are perfect marks for NFTs tbh.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Sailor Viy posted:

can you expand on this. it sounds cool

Right now the major use is local text comms; you can build a local off-grid mesh network using a couple of these and a few devices with bluetooth. You could, for example, spread a few around a hiking trail hooked up to solar cells and then give each hiker one for their phone for emergencies, fun stuff like that. I'm not sure how many people are messing around with LoRaWAN, but Cisco has a router for it. It tops out around 50 kbit/sec, though, so it's not like... fun shiposting time on the ol' LoRa gateway from a mile away.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

At first I thought this was the "Make your deed an NFT" style thing, but seeing that they thought the NFT was the SAME thing as the diamond make me think some of the these people may need some help. That said, I am fairly sure in a couple years you'll end up seeing some dumb promotions around physical objects and NFTs. My immediate thought was the time I bought a bottle of Jameson at the old factory in Dublin and you could get your name printed on the label for like five dollars. No idea where that bottle is now. Someone is going to decide to mint NFTs of commemorative, but disposable products and it will be extremely stupid.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
did diamond lady even destroy the diamond for real

to me that's just unnecessary overhead

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

there is no utility in NFTs whatsoever, yet the grifters are constantly claiming it literally can replace a physical object of value. Not even getting into the limited lifespan of a web link to a gif of a previously intact diamond, the concept of selling access to that gif for any value when from a utility perspective I already have the gif upon previewing it and saving it, is absurd. The insistence that this isn't the case by people attempting to make money off of this imaginative and bizarre perversion of reality, are surely themselves con artists.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

*walks into room at a party to show off expensive jewelry*. "Scan the QR code on my ring to see the NFT of the diamond"

Gubbinal Girl
Apr 11, 2022

Spazzle posted:

*walks into room at a party to show off expensive jewelry*. "Scan the QR code on my ring to see the NFT of the diamond"

Throw in some VR/AR bullshit and this would probably get VC money

Even better: go full "the emperor wears no clothes" and make it so that only other people with an NFT can see it.

Gubbinal Girl fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Jul 27, 2022

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

Spazzle posted:

gently caress sake I've got no signal!!.. well just imagine it on my finger then. Isn't it delightful?

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Zwabu fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Jul 27, 2022

Goatson
Oct 21, 2020

The real 12 points was the Thug-Friends we made along the way
Just got an YT add for something called "Mech game" where a dude stands in his living room and talks about this great game (game not shown) where you can own a unique mech! They gots landownership! Voting rights! Only for a limited time. Huge StarCitizen Chris Roberts dream energy so I had to google it...

Problem: There are several competing "mech" games with a completely identical name! Googling "Mech nft game" didn't really narrow it down. Literally 2 teams got exactly same project name. Either they miraculously got the same idea at the same time or someone's idea is being heavily plagiarized. Can't bother to figure out the narrative. All promise nft game dreams for adults kids who want to have their very special do not steal bots. https://mech.com/ being the one that is aggressively advertising in various platforms to reach a wider audience. I still haven't figured where the game part is there. Is it for mobile? I got my adds while casually viewing Youtube. Is it an mmo? Something in between? Like all the basic game details are missing and this is a huge flag for me. So gotta get a mech. Cheapest mech only 400dollars??? I could buy a Lada cheaper than that. The most expensive whalehunter is whopping 73, 3 MILLION dollars! . StarCitizen got nothing on this project.

...this is something else, entirely.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Goatson posted:

StarCitizen got nothing on this project.

StarCitizen is one of the all time most successful grifts, these folks have a ways to go before they reach that strata

HappyHippo fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jul 27, 2022

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Alan Smithee posted:

did diamond lady even destroy the diamond for real

to me that's just unnecessary overhead

there is a video, though its... not great, and who knows what was actually crushed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anzyEtqfA98&t=43s

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
the snoop dog animated ape music video is nominated for a VMA from MTV lol

https://www.mtv.com/vma/vote/best-hip-hop

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

Serious_Cyclone posted:

In web3 you can answer helpdesk tickets on reddit for customer support shekels, trade your cs shekels for an equivalent amount of woop woop coins, set up an instant gift card transaction to turn your woop woops into furry bucks, which you can then use to buy pron tokens or pay for erotic fan fiction or what have you

Is this what they mean by "perverse incentives"?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Why would she even need to own a real diamond in the first place?

Is literally the same if she just took a picture of some the diamond from a jewelry store since her NFT is just a picture of a diamond anyway. Heck, she could even drawn a a diamond with crayons and take a picture of the drawing and it would still be the same

How can people believe this makes any sense at all?

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Elysiume posted:

When you stake crypto, you effectively lock it into a fixed-length* agreement where you can't move/access the crypto. This is applicable to proof of stake systems (which is mostly less-relevant coins, with ethereum supporting PoS+PoW simultaneously) where the users that have staked crypto perform verification, and the network trust comes from a user having committed a significant portion of value into the crypto itself rather than into hashing power. This "guarantees" that the users will perform verification legitimately, as verifying illegitimate transactions** will devalue the currency they've staked.

It's very common to have, like mining pools, staking pools where stakes are combined together. Like mining pools, they distribute the gains.

*: seems like some may not require fixed-length staking but I'm not sure how that would work well
**: they can also get penalized somehow but I'm not sure who adjudicates that

Like all things crypto this is needlessly complicated but i'll try to explain. The disconnect in fixed-length and penalizing or not comes from the types of entities staking.

If you hold a PoS coin and stake it to that coins protocol, like Cardano, then the coins are yours and you get interest based on how many you attribute and the pool's properties. There usually aren't any restrictions and you can empty the wallet or whatever whenever you want which just changes your stake.

But the exchanges and shady lenders adopted this model in the past few years. Celsius was entirely based around "staking" your assets with them for fixed lengths and getting interest. Even coinbase does it now.

So now you can "stake" your coins with a middle man who has a bunch of terms and restrictions, and then you get some interest after that. They have your coins and you have to deal with the contract you have with them which is usually like minimum 30 day terms or penalties for withdrawing early. When the middlemen are involved they may be "staking" proof of work coins like bitcoin which just adds extra confusion into the mix since they are mimicking the stake pool model to get guaranteed deposits the users can't mess with.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Elias_Maluco posted:

How can people believe this makes any sense at all?

basically because a few of them get paid massive amounts by cynical VCs and crypto exchanges, or they get sucked in by the stories of people who bought very early and became (paper) millionaires for free. that will break peoples brains pretty easily

cargo cults are the perfect analogy, except instead of real industrialized goods its just an unreal amount of money

for fucks sake
Jan 23, 2016

Deep Glove Bruno posted:

"I'll make up a certificate for something people physically want, and if i write the right words on it then magically the ghost of that item is transferred to the certificate if i destroy its physical body."

It's like some kind of reverse golem.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Rectal Death Adept posted:

Like all things crypto this is needlessly complicated but i'll try to explain. The disconnect in fixed-length and penalizing or not comes from the types of entities staking.

If you hold a PoS coin and stake it to that coins protocol, like Cardano, then the coins are yours and you get interest based on how many you attribute and the pool's properties. There usually aren't any restrictions and you can empty the wallet or whatever whenever you want which just changes your stake.

But the exchanges and shady lenders adopted this model in the past few years. Celsius was entirely based around "staking" your assets with them for fixed lengths and getting interest. Even coinbase does it now.

So now you can "stake" your coins with a middle man who has a bunch of terms and restrictions, and then you get some interest after that. They have your coins and you have to deal with the contract you have with them which is usually like minimum 30 day terms or penalties for withdrawing early. When the middlemen are involved they may be "staking" proof of work coins like bitcoin which just adds extra confusion into the mix since they are mimicking the stake pool model to get guaranteed deposits the users can't mess with.

Sounds like just a dumber version of a certificate of deposit, which tracks with the Cryptosphere.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

gregday posted:

I have a hypothesis that things like crypto/NFTs, sovereign citizens, PUAs, etc. tend to appeal most to the mindsets of isolated tech folks who are used to dealing with systems of code/technology rather than systems of people, and expect manipulating people-based systems will work to their advantage like manipulating code-based systems. Of course, people are not code and can lie or just laugh and say "no", so rules-lawyering or trying to use the right "magic words" just doesn't work like they should. It's why sovereign citizens will cite things like a gold-fringed flag and expect the people in charge to throw an error code at them and let them do what they want, rather than them just laughing and throwing them in jail anyway.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I feel like whenever anyone talks about doing something WITH THE BLOCKCHAIN you can easy replace BLOCKCHAIN with 50LB WEIGHT and it’s basically the same idea.

Buy beer, only with a fifty pound weight attached to it

Buy a house, carrying a fifty pound weight around from start of sale to closing

Clockwerk
Apr 6, 2005

RocketMermaid posted:

I have a hypothesis that things like crypto/NFTs, sovereign citizens, PUAs, etc. tend to appeal most to the mindsets of isolated tech folks who are used to dealing with systems of code/technology rather than systems of people, and expect manipulating people-based systems will work to their advantage like manipulating code-based systems. Of course, people are not code and can lie or just laugh and say "no", so rules-lawyering or trying to use the right "magic words" just doesn't work like they should. It's why sovereign citizens will cite things like a gold-fringed flag and expect the people in charge to throw an error code at them and let them do what they want, rather than them just laughing and throwing them in jail anyway.

I think you’re giving most of them too much credit. Most of the actual NFT/crypto people know about as little regarding tech as any other group.

They’re all just lazy and selfish assholes looking for the secret “magic words” to getting what they want despite a refusal to understand individuals or knowledge domains beyond the most superficial.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Regarding Helium, weren't there various attempts back in the early-mid 2000s to create crowdsourced city-spanning wifi networks? I have vague memories of reading about custom firmwares for access points that let you share your internet connection. People could pay for access to the network and the people who offered up their access point would receive a bit of kickback.

I don't recall it ever really taking off, and then 3G and 4G came along and made it all moot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

VitalSigns posted:

I clicked on it and there's a link to a blog post where she recounts a conversation trying to convince her mom. Her mom points out nicely how stupid this is just as you'd expect, and NFT lady is like "well I didn't totally convince her but I think she is open to the idea"
https://taschalabs.com/nft-is-better-than-diamond-heres-why/

Her mom is asking very good questions that never get even close to adequately answered. So I'm inclined to think that this writeup was at least loosely based on a real conversation, and she just didn't notice that all the good points being made were on Mom's side.