Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

sethsez posted:

The writing in Rockstar's games has been stagnant at best and going backwards at worst. The jokes in GTA still read like an edgy teenager's idea of satire that he desperately wants to make sure you get, and the drama has never managed to move beyond the most basic crime story cliches.

I honestly don't know what Rockstar thinks people play their GTA games for considering how hypersensitive the police system was in GTA5 and how much of the game was (at least until I quit playing out of boredom from the story) focused on doing... normal things. Oh boy, yoga, tennis and towing cars. Just what I wanted from Real Life Sim 5. I'm looking forward to the Saints Row reboot because even if it's made by a completely different team, at least I know it's probably going to be dumb carnage. I'm half expecting GTAVI to involve filing taxes and taking cars in for an oil change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

The story mentions that that plot of GTA6 will be a Bonnie and Clyde thing, which I think could be the right direction to go in. Imagine Rockstar centering a really sincere romance in the heart of their story, it would be a huge change in direction that would still resonate with people.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

AG3 posted:

If they also worked on the soul-crushing, suicide-inducing crunch they are infamous for then I might actually start buying Rockstar games again.

The article states that crunch is a big part of what they've worked on, although no one from Rockstar itself has commented. That's a shame, I would like to hear from them how they have changed their practices and if it's been working.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

RareAcumen posted:

More obnoxiously large games but nonviolent please

Horizon would be wonderful as Pokemon Snap experience

After The War posted:

Give us a new Bully game with a female protag, you cowards

It kind of exists and it's coming out relatively soon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERJgyk5My5o

Unfortunately, R* probably has a better studio culture now than the one making Season: A letter to the Future

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

It's probably not going to have as many fun side activities as Bully but there's something similar in the works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TL7cZpOvHSg

Absolutely fails the female protagonist request though, sorry.

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

This discussion could probably go in the chat thread, or the PS5 thread at this point as it's drifting away from industry news.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2022-07-26/star-wars-knights-of-the-old-republic-game-paused-amid-studio-shakeup
KOTOR remake on hold

quote:

Developers said a more realistic target now would be 2025.
Fuckin yikes.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

RareAcumen posted:

It's probably not going to have as many fun side activities as Bully but there's something similar in the works.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TL7cZpOvHSg

Absolutely fails the female protagonist request though, sorry.

there's also a game in the works called detained that's similar to river city girls by The Vagrant dev

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

How is that possible? That's literally an entire brand new game dev time, from start to finish.

I read the article, and the whole thing stinks. The lead firings were apparently unexpected. The article mentions a few sources who seem to think maybe the demo they finished was too little and too expensive for what the suits wanted done, but the difference between Aspyr telling it's business partners 2022 and the actual devs saying "more like 2025" is a massive gulf.

Really think that Aspry management was loving around and is close to finding out via taking a huge financial hit.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Jul 29, 2022

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

pentyne posted:

How is that possible? That's literally an entire brand new game dev time, from start to finish.

Let me tell you about a little title called Metroid Prime 4.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

sethsez posted:

The writing in Rockstar's games has been stagnant at best and going backwards at worst. The jokes in GTA still read like an edgy teenager's idea of satire that he desperately wants to make sure you get, and the drama has never managed to move beyond the most basic crime story cliches.

the one time a gta game managed what id call decent writing was san andreas and even then it felt almost accidental considering how much it abandons the good parts of the story for long stretches. big smoke's great but he betrays you and then just isnt in the game until its time to gently caress him up.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

I thought GTA4's characters were written well but taken as a whole the game doesn't work because all the characters are unlikeable (not a bad thing in moderation) and the plot drags on for far longer than it should.

Also it has some really weird transphobic jokes that were offputting even at the time of its release.

I still really liked the moment-to-moment gameplay because it leaned heavily on cruising around and chilling with my buddies. Combat was a slog, like in all the series. I realize that's a minority opinion though.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

bloodysabbath posted:

There’s supposedly going to be a female protagonist and that’s fine, Latina Trevor wouldn’t be anything to scoff at. That rules.

The kinder, gentler R* in terms of content is a worry. Whether you enjoyed the company style or not, the Housers and Benzies were absolutely entrenched in the creative direction of every game that company put out and it was better for it. I could not even tell you who is heading up creative there now.

GTA VI will make a boatload of money based on name recognition alone. However, depending on how bad they neuter the tone/vibe, I could see GTA VII being a full out GAAS like GTA:O. The conspiracy minded cynic in me thinks that’s what they’re aiming for, because building intricate, scripted single player campaigns is hard, especially in something as massive as GTA.

Most of the writing and humour in GTA games should stay in the mid-2000s where it belongs. And it sounds like GTA6 will already be a GaaS based on what they've revealed so far (more cities will be added over time, growing world, that sort of poo poo).

e: sorry, missed the latest page.

stev fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Jul 29, 2022

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

stev posted:

Most of the writing and humour in GTA games should stay in the mid-2000s where it belongs. And it sounds like GTA6 will already be a GaaS based on what they've revealed so far (more cities will be added over time, growing world, that sort of poo poo).

e: sorry, missed the latest page.

GTA 5 made them so much money scamming people with shark cards for GTA Online that the odds of GTA6 not being a GAAS with even more aggressive monetization were always close to zero.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
GTA satire has always been sophomoric lol politicians bad consumerism bad lol me am incisive commentary. Unless they've changed their writing staff GTA6's writing can't survive in a post-escalator world

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Calaveron posted:

post-escalator world

do what now?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Achmed Jones posted:

do what now?

Donald Trump's presidential campaign famously kicked off with an elaborately staged escalator ride down into a cheering crowd at Trump Tower NYC.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

Calaveron posted:

GTA satire has always been sophomoric lol politicians bad consumerism bad lol me am incisive commentary. Unless they've changed their writing staff GTA6's writing can't survive in a post-escalator world

They have, indeed, changed their writing staff. At least at the top level.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

pentyne posted:

I read the article, and the whole thing stinks. The lead firings were apparently unexpected. The article mentions a few sources who seem to think maybe the demo they finished was too little and too expensive for what the suits wanted done, but the difference between Aspyr telling it's business partners 2022 and the actual devs saying "more like 2025" is a massive gulf.

Really think that Aspry management was loving around and is close to finding out via taking a huge financial hit.

From what I’ve read, aren’t they mostly known for just making ports and graphically updated rereleases, not full-fledged remakes?

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Kanos posted:

Donald Trump's presidential campaign famously kicked off with an elaborately staged escalator ride down into a cheering crowd at Trump Tower NYC.

the stupidity of real life has long since surpassed the excessive satire of things like GTA and south park

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Regalingualius posted:

From what I’ve read, aren’t they mostly known for just making ports and graphically updated rereleases, not full-fledged remakes?

Yeah, the chances of the game releasing in a good state anytime soon was basically zero to begin with.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Going by twitch it seems a lot of people like the life simulation aspect of GTA. I can see them try to monetize those player run RP servers

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Ardryn posted:

Let me tell you about a little title called Metroid Prime 4.

well are you gonna tell me about it or what??

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Endorph posted:

the one time a gta game managed what id call decent writing was san andreas and even then it felt almost accidental considering how much it abandons the good parts of the story for long stretches. big smoke's great but he betrays you and then just isnt in the game until its time to gently caress him up.

more like big broke, as in my heart :(

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Fruits of the sea posted:

I thought GTA4's characters were written well but taken as a whole the game doesn't work because all the characters are unlikeable (not a bad thing in moderation) and the plot drags on for far longer than it should.

Also it has some really weird transphobic jokes that were offputting even at the time of its release.

I still really liked the moment-to-moment gameplay because it leaned heavily on cruising around and chilling with my buddies. Combat was a slog, like in all the series. I realize that's a minority opinion though.

haha yeah for sure for sure

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Kanos posted:

GTA 5 made them so much money scamming people with shark cards for GTA Online that the odds of GTA6 not being a GAAS with even more aggressive monetization were always close to zero.

never tell me the odds :P

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Calaveron posted:

neither can i, these knees aren't getting any younger!

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Achmed Jones posted:

do what now?

a world with no escalators.....shiver

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Kanos posted:

the escalator was fake??

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Kith posted:

the stupidity of real life has long since surpassed the excessive satire of things like GTA and south park

but hey what if..... gta south park collab let's goooo

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

stev posted:

Yeah, the chances of the game releasing in a good state anytime soon was basically zero to begin with.

i said never tell me the odds!!!!!!!!

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

this

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Kanos posted:

GTA 5 made them so much money scamming people with shark cards for GTA Online

What was this about? Shark cards?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Potsticker posted:

What was this about? Shark cards?

That was the term for microtransaction currency cards for GTAO. I believe after a certain point they began bundling all digital copies of the game with those to prevent refunds, as well.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

secretly best girl posted:

That was the term for microtransaction currency cards for GTAO. I believe after a certain point they began bundling all digital copies of the game with those to prevent refunds, as well.

Ahaha. Wow, that is a scam. Thanks.

taichara
May 9, 2013

c:\>erase c:\reality.sys copy a:\gigacity\*.* c:
Here we go again, folks:

https://twitter.com/IGN/status/1555516719556337665

https://twitter.com/VGC_News/status/1555505860884963328

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Gotta fund that NFT addiction

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Has Square actually done/announced anything NFT-related?

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Jeffrey is going to buy the rights to Front Mission.