Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Yeah I mean Dan Snyder's team literally trafficked cheerleaders overseas, confiscated their passports and forced them into sex work, so I mean yes, everything is degrees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Mohawk Potato posted:

Not sure if worse Disney is pretty horrible but yeah sports organizations are bad just look up Dan Snyder.

Dan Snyder is a loving Saint if you compare him to FIFA officials.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

Skwirl posted:

Dan Snyder is a loving Saint if you compare him to FIFA officials.

Quick quizz who is more corrupt? FIFA or IOC?

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Let's focus on comic book stuff.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

bunnyofdoom posted:

Quick quizz who is more corrupt? FIFA or IOC?

Not to defend the IOC, but it's definitely FIFA. If IOC announces the next Olympics is in North Korea feel free to call me out.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

edit: nevermind didn't realize this was the comic books industry thread.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

Skwirl posted:

Not to defend the IOC, but it's definitely FIFA. If IOC announces the next Olympics is in North Korea feel free to call me out.

C'mon Skwirl, How Wonderful literally just told you to stick to comic books. :blastu:

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

ruddiger posted:

quote:

self righteous

quote:

I said Marvel fans feel

lol

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Jaxxon: Still not the stupidest thing from the expanded universe.

https://twitter.com/MarkBrooksArt/status/1552471894267502593

Thread. Kinda terrifying

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Why are some people like this.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Samovar posted:

I blame the internet honestly. It becomes very easy to dehumanize people you disagree with about whatever thing when your interactions are entirely through a screen and then you have an opportunity meet them in person. I think SA is one of the better online social sites in terms of weeding out the dangerous people and it has to ban several people a year because of increasingly violent rhetoric they post in regards to dumb opinions about comic book characters, movies, tv shows.

BooDooBoo
Jul 14, 2005

That makes no sense to me at all.

https://fi.somethingawful.com/images/gangtags/severancemdr.gif

Samovar posted:

They never get attention in the real world, so they act out to get it online.

They lose the ability to tell "good" attention from "bad" attention because "bad" attention is easier to get but makes you feel bad, and they also learn to pretend to be the victim in any situation which gets them more attention.

They get stuck in a feedback loop of having to push their acting out further and further to get the same reward and eventually they end up in a situation they can't lie their way out of, so they run away and pretend to be "cancelled" for more attention.

It's self-radicalization, and it can happen with *anything*, see also Transphobia, and all the other Fox News bullshit.

Twitter is a disease.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

BooDooBoo posted:

Twitter is a disease.

I feel like this is particularly true now that attention is money for a bunch of folks, including many in comics.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

StumblyWumbly posted:

I feel like this is particularly true now that attention is money for a bunch of folks, including many in comics.

Mark’s thread mentions this person has “a decent following” so it stands to reason a non-zero amount of people give this stalker financial support, enabling said stalker to physically attend a convention with the express purpose of at best intimidating his “enemy.”

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

Mark’s thread mentions this person has “a decent following” so it stands to reason a non-zero amount of people give this stalker financial support, enabling said stalker to physically attend a convention with the express purpose of at best intimidating his “enemy.”

I think I know who it is. There's this guy named Eric July who's an employee at the Blaze, and who appears to be using his ties to reactionary media to turn his forthcoming comic project into a sort of right-wing cause celebre. The colorist on the debut book is as much of a shithead as he is if not moreso, and I think that's this dude who Brooks is talking about.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Wanderer posted:

The colorist on the debut book is as much of a shithead as he is if not moreso, and I think that's this dude who Brooks is talking about.

Someone in the replies to Brooks' thread said as much, yeah.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

It's this guy:
https://mobile.twitter.com/GabeEltaeb/status/1532970867566600192

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

To throw one back at this sort of guy, “literally who.”

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

That is indeed terrifying. I'm glad nothing ended up happening, but I'm sure Brooks' weekend was ruined all same just from the stress of dealing with this.

The perpetrator seems to have been outed, at least. I hope he gets blacklisted from the entire convention circuit.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

To throw one back at this sort of guy, “literally who.”

He was a colorist for DC comics who quit in outrage over Jon Kent smooching his boyfriend and has firmly aligned with ComicsGate.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Dawgstar posted:

He was a colorist for DC comics who quit in outrage over Jon Kent smooching his boyfriend and has firmly aligned with ComicsGate.

lol (thank you)

Seriously, imagine having that level of skill and job opportunity to work for DC, even just as a gig to build your resume, and blow it all to hell because you’re an unrepentant bigot.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

lol (thank you)

Seriously, imagine having that level of skill and job opportunity to work for DC, even just as a gig to build your resume, and blow it all to hell because you’re an unrepentant bigot.

When DC goes broke (for going woke) he'll definitely have the last laugh!

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I know it’s all incredibly shallow and there’s no actual answer to this, but debate what? “Woke trash and CG” doesn’t mean or explain anything. It’s clear vice signalling nonsense

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Opopanax posted:

I know it’s all incredibly shallow and there’s no actual answer to this, but debate what? “Woke trash and CG” doesn’t mean or explain anything. It’s clear vice signalling nonsense

All of these guys have the Ben Shapiro brain rot where they really want to debate their ideological opponents, and think those opponents' disinterest somehow proves they've won in some way.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
All of these people think they're big-brained intellectuals but in reality the only language they understand is the threat of physical violence. For example, when Ben SHapiro was threatened during a tv spot and you could see the absolute terror on his face.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Wanderer posted:

I think I know who it is. There's this guy named Eric July who's an employee at the Blaze, and who appears to be using his ties to reactionary media to turn his forthcoming comic project into a sort of right-wing cause celebre. The colorist on the debut book is as much of a shithead as he is if not moreso, and I think that's this dude who Brooks is talking about.

Oh THAT's the name of the guy doing the 'Rippaverse.' He's ComicsGate's "See, we have a Black guy." Apparently it's making a bunch of money but that isn't terribly surprising.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Dawgstar posted:

he also seems likely to have leaked the Jon plot point to right-wing outlets before it was reported on by anyone else, presumably in an unsuccessful attempt to stir up outrage

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I took a look at the book he's shilling and lol

Also it's at about $160k with only around 1300 backers so I'm thinking money laundering?

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010

Opopanax posted:

Also it's at about $160k with only around 1300 backers so I'm thinking money laundering?

Comicsgate is 100% moving money around to boost numbers to claim their campaigns are successful beyond reason.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

That and a few right-wing upper middle craft luxury watercraft dealers with a lot of money, I'm sure.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Wanderer posted:

All of these guys have the Ben Shapiro brain rot where they really want to debate their ideological opponents, and think those opponents' disinterest somehow proves they've won in some way.

It's a really broken part of today's self-parody of a society where people will just stand up with a megaphone shouting "debate me!" Dude, you have a megaphone, if you have a point you should make it.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

E the Shaggy posted:

Comicsgate is 100% moving money around to boost numbers to claim their campaigns are successful beyond reason.

The "Rippaverse" is darkly interesting to me because it's getting a distinctly artificial push from multiple recognizable press organs. Somebody asked me about it last week, and the first four hits on Google included the New York Post, the Daily Wire, and Fox News.

What I suspect is that this isn't a Comicsgate thing so much as some rich libertarian using July as a frontman to try and create a chud beachhead in superhero media. July doesn't appear to have any previous professional comics experience, his social media presence is extraordinarily polished, and this "30,000 orders worth $2.5 million" figure he's waving around does not pass any kind of smell test.

It strikes me as July being the beneficiary of the same tactic that Republican talking heads use to artificially pump their book sales. He'll be able to say he's got a best-seller on his hands, but 75% of the physical copies sold will be picked up as a bulk order by some front organization, and then copies of the first issue will be given away free at CPAC or some poo poo.

Conrad_Birdie
Jul 10, 2009

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Yeah that tracks

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Opopanax posted:

Oh no, what did Colossus do? :ohdear:

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Supported the Donblas offensive citing the Azov battalion. . .

Plus the dictator brother.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010

Wanderer posted:

The "Rippaverse" is darkly interesting to me because it's getting a distinctly artificial push from multiple recognizable press organs. Somebody asked me about it last week, and the first four hits on Google included the New York Post, the Daily Wire, and Fox News.

What I suspect is that this isn't a Comicsgate thing so much as some rich libertarian using July as a frontman to try and create a chud beachhead in superhero media. July doesn't appear to have any previous professional comics experience, his social media presence is extraordinarily polished, and this "30,000 orders worth $2.5 million" figure he's waving around does not pass any kind of smell test.

It strikes me as July being the beneficiary of the same tactic that Republican talking heads use to artificially pump their book sales. He'll be able to say he's got a best-seller on his hands, but 75% of the physical copies sold will be picked up as a bulk order by some front organization, and then copies of the first issue will be given away free at CPAC or some poo poo.

The old Loot Crate trick.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
https://twitter.com/squishubunny/status/1553505029692293126

God drat these people are vile.

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

JordanKai posted:

Oh no, what did Colossus do? :ohdear:
Dated Kitty when he was 19 and she was 14

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

There's a lot horrible about Anime Matsuri. It probably warrants its own thread in the anime sub-forum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
oh gently caress, I saw the posts about cons and stalking and thought someone had mentioned that con in this thread.